Dark Secret

2. Dangerous Surprises pt.2

Weekend arrived too slowly.

Nothing out of ordinary had happened since my encounter with Kenneth. Leanna’s search for him was futile. There wasn’t a smallest trace of him, my mysterious stalker/lover, as if he had just disappeared out of thin air. She was pissed, to say the least. Tyler suggested it was possible for him to create a portal, though he was not certain of his race.

As for me, I had to buy colored contact lenses to cover my iris as sunglasses were not allowed in class and there was a chance others may steal them. It wasn’t safe enough. I had not used one of those lenses before, not even a pair of regular glasses, so I accidentally poked myself in the eye at times.

Ouch.

I wasn’t comfortable using them either. I noticed that the lenses’ colors were getting lighter with each passing day. I suspected my new eyes had something to do with the bleaching.

Apart from my eyes, my body started to change too. I grew taller, thinner, and more…appealing to the humans. My face lost its baby fat rapidly, forming an oval-heart shape; my limbs and torso became long, slim, yet despite the changes, they were well-curved too; and the wild hay-sack hair became smooth and tamed, falling into the curve of my neck and ended a few inches above my now small waist flawlessly, without any split or messy ends.

School was more hellish after the change took place. I had become popular. The crowds chased away my beloved solitude, they chased away my only sanctuary. I tried to ignore them, to be mean, and nevertheless, there were countless admirers, juniors and seniors alike. I could’ve sworn I’ve seen younger teachers eyed me with a look that shouldn’t be directed to a student.

It was total torture.

The only thing I could say was: I was thankful they were not insane enough to dedicate a fan club for me. Yet.

It reminded me how superficial humans could be. They pursued after me so blindly, they didn’t even try to know me, what kind of person I was. They didn’t bother. All they cared was my transformed shell, not what was inside of me. I was still the same wallflower they had overlooked for years.

I hated them. Mortals… you could never trust one.

The voice in my head was active as usual, but she didn’t seem amazed by the transformation as I did. Not at all. She continued like the argument had not happened, getting on my nerves by telling me to push the students off a cliff. No biggie.

Yep, school was still the place I dreaded to go and the voice was still an irritating git, nothing out of ordinary here.

Now, I was sitting on the bed with Tyler next to me and Leanna pacing around her bedroom. It was already two in the afternoon, and Richard had not arrived.

‘Did he tell you when he’d come?’ I asked the anxious vampire.

‘No, but he should’ve arrive by now.’ Leanna walked faster, her steps got heavier according to her mood.

It was odd to see a vampire getting stressed out. I could feel the bad prediction drowning in the bottom of my stomach, twisting and turning. I could also felt the butterflies in my belly, in the bad way. There was something wrong. Was Richard's visit wrong? Or was it something wrong had befallen onto Richard? I couldn’t tell.

It made me anxious, too.

And my modified appearance only succeeded in adding on the burden of nervousness.

I squirmed in my seat awkwardly. Their vampiric profile was not a thing that a person—anyone—could get used to. It felt like they would suck my blood out of nowhere. Although it was frightening, I was fascinated too. I had always loved mythical creatures, and I was tempted to touch Tyler’s fangs. I wondered how easy for it to pierce my human skin was…

Three loud knocks on the front door was enough to interrupt my thoughts. Leanna was downstairs with just a blurred movement. It was astounding how fast a vampire could move, I only managed to catch a glimpse of Leanna and Tyler when they really run.

‘Richard!’ Leanna shouted so loudly as if she was next to me, not by the door.

‘Leanna,’ Richard replied, ‘Are you all right?’ His voice was smaller. I could hear him through the eerie silence in the house, providing if I listened carefully.

‘Are you all right? Why are you so late?’

‘I’m delayed by a, er, sudden event,’ Richard explained rather uneasily. ‘But it’s nothing, so you don’t have to worry about it.’

My attention shifted from the lovers’ conversation to myself anew. Tyler put his cold hand on top of mine, attempting to sooth me. I managed to squeeze a smile, to reassure him. He returned my gesture, one as fake as mine, then went back to eavesdrop on Richard and Leanna.

To be honest, I was quite nervous about meeting Richard again. Richard had been a brother-like figure to me, but he had the kind of authority that could silence anyone with a mere glance. It suited his job though, as the ambassador of the North Underworld, or Downland, as some would call. My heartbeat accelerated, racing forward with no limit. It was like I was criminal ready to surrender herself to the police. If Richard saw my new form, he’d be either too shocked or mad.

I hoped vampires didn’t have heart attacks.

I had already made assumptions about Richard’s reaction. Theoretically speaking, he would be over-protective and kept my transformation to himself. On the other hand, logically thinking, he would’ve reported my situation to his king just in case there would anything related to the underworld might happen to me. I betted ten bucks on the second one.

The little voice in my head found my sticky situation amusing. She grinned.

I second you on that. If only I have a body…

Ha! Too bad. You’re not gonna use
my money.

Whatever. I don’t like the Richard.
She sneered. Besides, if he’s going to do what you’re thinking, you’re so over.

You don’t like anyone, bud.


I paused.

What do you mean by ‘you’re so over’?

Are you that dumb?
She carried on her explanation when I didn’t answer her. Think about it, dimwit. You’re a freaking human, a mortal that t-the,she coughed, king probably despises the most. He’ll capture you and throw you in jail when he learns this piece of interesting info.

…They have jails?

Why not?
She rolled her eyes. You’ll be behind bars fora while, in their definition. Say, a century, give or take a few decades.

I won’t survive that long!
I exclaimed.

Again, why not? You’re most likely a half-immortal now, with the sight and all.

I was dumbfounded. The thought of being a half-immortal had not crossed my mind. There were possibilities, I supposed.

A half-immortal, huh?

Wait, how do you know?

I assumed, you dummy. It’s called rational thinking.
She answered smoothly.

No, it’s not. Assuming what the North Underworld king will do to me is not rational thinking.

Well, dear, try to use your brain more often.


She withdrew into her dominant place to avoid further questioning.

Get back here!

I cursed inwardly for letting her to slip away. Never mind that, I had to think a way to get out of this sticky situation.

I considered to beg Richard to keep it a secret, and dismissed the idea as soon as it came. Richard was very committed to his duty, too committed. Not even Leanna could persuade him otherwise. At times, their relationship was so surreal that I had to ask them myself.

‘Richard, there’s some…changes with Charlotte.’

‘What?’ Richard’s voice rose, his brotherly-side kicked in. ‘Where is she? How—’

‘Shh…’ Leanna hushed him. ‘She’s upstairs, in my room with Tyler. He’s watching over her…’

I winced instinctively as Richard slammed open the door, seeing hundreds of cracks appeared on the piece of wood. Tyler stood up, shielding me with his lean, muscular body, completely blocking me from Richard's view.

‘Move over, boy.’ He snarled.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you enjoy reading this. Please leave a comment.