Status: Done?

Georgia

1/1

I looked up at the beautiful Georgia sky, spreading itself out far across the horizon. It was so lovely like this. The wind blowing lightly; the summer air warm and humid. It was so peaceful. I looked out across the lake at the sunset, feeling the heat gliding across my face and surrounding me with its warmth. I looked to my left and saw his beautiful face, asleep in the grass. I leaned over and kissed his mouth softly, not wanting to wake him.

This was the last day of summer before everyone left town, all the kids I grew up with packing up and moving all over the country. It was the lat day we would all have together in our little town. So many memories here, but I suppose that it is meant to be this way. I looked back to the sunset, studying the reds, oranges and soft hues of the pink.

I had wanted to paint it one last time, he had promised to come with me even though we had spent the entire night up at Gina's party. He was too tired to stay awake and I found myself missing those beautiful hazel eyes. Or that smile that he always had for me, like I was special. I was going to miss that most of all probably. The way his face lit up when he saw me in that beautiful way. Nobody was ever that happy to see me. I thought that had meant we would always be together, but I was going to California and he was headed to N.Y.C.

He had told me only a week ago, saying he wanted to be with me but it was such a great opportunity. He promised to call and write, visit whenever he could. Most of all he promised to never stop loving me. I believe him; just I wish time could freeze sometimes. Keep us all here in a permanent state when we were all at our best. If time could stop and keep this day going forever, we would all be able to stay this way.

I finished up my painting as the last stars graced the sky and lit up the lake with their iridescent beauty.

"Jake, wake up Hun. We gotta get to Mia's before they all leave." I said, while nudging his leg with my foot.

He woke up calmly and pulled me down for a kiss.

"I love you Annabel." He said as he placed light kisses across me cheek and down my jaw.

"We don't have time for this" I giggled, "Come on, let's go."

I dragged him up to his feet and began gathering my things. He took my easel and headed across the field to his car. I undressed from my smock and painting clothes and into my favourite worn jeans and an old royal blue Cookie Monster top. They were my favourite clothes but I wouldn't be bringing them to California. The Cookie Monster just did not fit in with bikinis and booty shorts.

We reached the party and we all gathered one last time. There were only about 20 of us, all close friends since before we could remember. We all said are hellos and headed out to the back field; it was tradition for us whenever something special happened. This would be the last time we did this though. You could see the shape of someone running about far in the field, preparing for the show. It must be Billy, he had probably convinced Emmy to go set up with him as well.

They were sweethearts from the beginning, so cute and love drunk it made you sick. They were glued to the hip of course, always in class together or walking in the winter. I heard they were heading to Clear Water, the town about 3 hours from here. They were probably gonna get jobs and start themselves a family. They were the only ones staying.

I looked away from Billy and Emmy and back to Jake. He came over and hugged me around the waist, planting a kiss on my forehead as if I were a little kid.

"I'm going to miss you, but I won't be far away Sunshine." He said, smiling at me as if we weren't all leaving forever.

I hugged him back and buried my head in his chest as the first ones set off. Explosions of noise and colour cut through the sky and lit up the field.

Fireworks. Our tradition, our thing that always brought us all together. The last time we would ever have a private show, because after today no one was coming back to our small town.
♠ ♠ ♠
Rainbow of Emotions Contest

Please Comment <3