Status: Forget about it.

Hurt Angel

Chapter 15

The next morning I woke up with a terrible headache. It felt as if someone had hit me with a baseball bat all night. I’d need some aspirin to get rid of that feeling. I wasn’t even sure if that would work, but I wouldn’t use any medication stronger than that. When I absentmindedly put on my clothes I hadn’t noticed it, but when I put on my make-up I noticed it. My face was even paler than usual, with a slight greyish glow.

When I got downstairs my mom was in the kitchen, making my brother’s lunch for school. As soon as she saw my face she must have felt the sudden urge to make a remark about my abnormal color, and said that I looked terrible. ‘Thank you, mom’ was all I could say, because my brother already interrupted us to complain about something I didn’t care about. When he noticed me, after about half a minute of continuously blabbering about whatever he talked about, he said that I looked like a monster.

So much for being nice. Strangely, unlike usually, I didn’t feel the need to punch his smiling face, and see his teeth all over the floor. I just smiled back friendly, and ignored his annoyed expression. He loved it when I reacted, because that’d give him more reasons to continue his childish behavior, and mom would blame me for it, because I was oldest, and supposed to be a role model, which I clearly wasn’t when I responded to Stephen’s childish behavior.

I didn’t eat much, I felt like throwing up, but I had to eat, or my mom would get worried and refuse to let me go to school. I cycled to school very slow, and when I heard Natalie calling my name, I wasn’t really in the mood to response, and the only thing she got from me was a slight nod. I had to drag myself to every lesson, and after about 3 hours my “friends” realized that they wouldn’t get anywhere by trying to talk to me, so they just let me be. I was happy for that, every time I opened my mouth to give one of my teachers an answer, it felt as if my breakfast would see the daylight again through the way it had entered.

I didn’t speak to either Ethan or Talon today, and I didn’t see Naoi anywhere. Ethan and Talon were back to their earlier behavior and ignored each other most of the time, apart from a couple of angry glances back and forth. Nothing interested happened the rest of the week, and the week after, I didn’t see Naoi again, and had no interesting conversations with anyone.

Two weeks later I asked Ethan about Naoi, and he told me that Naoi had gone back to where he belonged, which made it sound like he was a bad guy, and had been beaten up by Ethan, but that also just could have been my weird thoughts, and the fact that I watched a lot of movies the past two weeks. We didn’t have much homework and time passed by quickly. Exams were coming up, and I had to study much, nothing could distract me, I really wanted to pass to the next year, and nothing seemed interesting enough to break my concentration.

The tests weren’t too difficult, but that could have been because I didn’t really have much of a private life, so I had all my time for studying. The last couple of weeks the tests would be checked and we barely had any homework, so I could let my mind wander off for the first time in a long while. On the Monday after the test weeks, Ethan seemed to have realized that I was still alive and walked over to talk to me during one of the lessons that was cancelled due to teachers being busy with more important stuff than teaching.

I sat on a bench outside, on the schoolyard, with my eyes closed until I heard footsteps coming closer to me. It wasn’t really warm outside, but the sun was shining very bright, it was so bright that when I opened my eyes the brightness of the sunlight almost blinded me.

He smiled when he saw me blinking. I hadn’t seen his smile in a while, actually, I hadn’t at all paid proper attention to him in a while. Everyone looked very tired, but of course, he didn’t. He still looked the way he’d looked when he walked into the lesson for the first time.
I smiled back, and he sat down next to me. He didn’t say anything for about a minute and then turned to me and looked at me.

‘You seem tired’ I hate it when people tell me that, and I wanted to hit him, but the only thing I could hit him with, was my cellphone, and I didn’t want to that badly.

‘Thank you very much, but just so you know, not everyone can combine studying and sleeping’ he smiled when I said that. That really pisses me off, when people know that you don’t like it, and they just smile to make you angrier.

He suddenly wrapped his arms around me, I made a weird high-pitched noise and he chuckled. The reason I made that noise was because I wasn’t used to sudden physical touches by, well, anyone. ‘I’m sorry for saying that, and I’m sorry for like, ignoring you all this time.’ I laughed. And he moved his arms away.

‘Why are you laughing?’

‘You said like, just like all those annoying girls do’

‘Does that,‘ he emphasized it this time ‘like,’ he smiled, ‘bother you?’

I shrugged ‘Not necessarily, it just makes me doubt your sexuality a bit’.

‘I just hugged you!’ he said, a bit annoyed by my accusation, which wasn’t actually an accusation, but more of a joke.

‘That doesn’t mean anything, maybe your trying to hide it, and that’s why you hugged me, and the like thing was just a slip, and now you’re like, trying to pretend like it was nothing’

‘You just said like, twice yourself, plus one time to repeat my mistake, and try to annoy me by telling that you doubt my sexuality.’

This conversation was just really dumb, and I could feel my intelligence drop. Ethan also realized that it was really stupid, turned around again and stared at the school.

‘So… what are you going to do this summer?’ I asked to break the silence. Not really because I cared, but the silence made it seem like we just had a huge fight. ‘I’m going home’ he said. I was confused by that answer, he had a house, here in Cresselia, He looked at me and smiled, but not in a truly happy way. ‘My real house, where my parents are, I haven’t seen them since I moved here…’