It's Just the Way We're Diseased

A Black Hole

She ran with him, their arms pumping in a rhythm. They jumped over fallen limps. Carefully she watched her footing and her surroundings at the same time. A fall and it would be over. She wanted to know where the rest of her family was.

Her sister, her brother...

She wondered if she would see them as they turned into the thicker part of the forest. It was harder to keep herself up and her feet moving quickly. She couldn't hear anyone following them but they kept running.

He ordered her to run faster. She tried then but a twig, a branch, maybe it was hole in the uneven ground, but she went tumbling down a slope hitting a small creak. She groaned feeling light headed as she looked into a tunnel that was like looking into a black hole.

Her skin broke into goosebumps as she heard dogs vicious barks. She moved quickly and as quietly as possible and hid in the black hole. She heard mens' voices, soon gun shots echoed. She wanted to run and see if he was hit. To see if her brother or maybe her twin was hurt.

She stood up and rushed out of the tunnel and grabbed a root that was protruding from the ground. She pulled her weight up slightly testing it before climbing up the muddy steep hill. She dug her nails into the mud pulling her onto the dryer earth.

She didn't mind that her clothes were covered in mud, that was her twins pet peeve. She loved the feel of the earth caked all over her skin. She welcomed the chance to roll in mud or dirt, but right now she didn't feel happy to feel the grainy goo.

She moved towards the direction of the sound. She realized that it was coming from the field where it started. The patriotic lights flashed and lit the field like a rave. She peeked behind some brush and watched as her twin's scream overcame the other noise that was in the area.

Then it stopped.

She felt her heart speed up as they stepped away and she could see her twin laying on a stretcher her body limp. Her clothes and hair were messed up which was a rare thing to see. Splotches of mud clung to her skin.

A roar of anger came several feet farther into the field. Her eyes laid on him. Her sisters love, she never cared for him. They both never cared for each other. Her sister didn't seem to mind, her sister didn't like her own man.

So it was fair.

He fought trying to move to his girlfriend trying to save her, even though it looked as though it was done. Did they already administrate the deadly poison into her veins? As she crouched behind the brown vines she grew angry. They couldn't do that to her twin.

She ran into the field, her hand on the colt that was cradled between her jeans and hip. She shot a few that were close to her sleeping twin. Several ran towards her. She heard her name, he called her. Begged her to save her twin.

She tried pushing through the crowd that grew around her twin. She screamed as the shots continued to go off few bodies falling, but it became too much. She dodged and kicked and punched. She fought her own way out of the mob. Knowing the guns and dogs would be out in moments.

She was back in the woods close to fifty officials in pursuit. She knew that was stupid to run into that but she had to try. Besides since when did she ever plan things out? She took odd turns loosing some every time, but they were always a few that knew where she was.

The route became more complicated as the trees grew thicker, the flat ground became hills, the dirt now mud. There was a river close. She thought, they wouldn't follow me into the river.

She grinned, a skip in her run as she faked left then ran past a huge oak and jumped on a bolder and off. She could feel the ground get mussier. She smell that wet plants around her. Frogs croaks could be heard.

Foots steps still echoed hers.

The river was close she could see the bank. Her feet moved faster, they didn't seem to touch the ground anymore. She didn't know what happened to her family as she dove into the icy cold water.

She let the current pull her along, she barely had to move her limbs.

She wondered after several minutes where is her twin now? She gulped down air. Was she alive? Her eyes scanned the banks. Where was her brother? Her own boyfriend? Her four friends? She continued to swim downstream those questions still swimming in her own mind.