Status: Thank you for reading!

The Long Journey Ahead

I Won't See You Tonight Part 2

I rushed into my clothes while mom called anyone and everyone who knows Jes. After pulling my hoodie over my head, I couldn't help but to feel guilty and like a complete jackass. It's my fault she ran away…for the second time. I pushed her too far. And this time, I'm afraid she'll go back there and die.

The sadness was kicking in and I felt an urge to cry. I don't cry. I never have cried for anyone or anything. I didn’t cry when I found out my parents were going to divorce and I wasn’t going to see him. What's so special about Jes that makes my heart ache for her?

I shook my head, heading out to the living room. Damien, Darren, and Casey showed up, staring intently at my mom. She profusely told them how important it is to find Jes and how we have to find her even if it means no sleep for one straight month.

This is serious, isn't it? Yeah, it is. I pulled myself together and joined the group. They all looked at me, giving a small smile, a pity smile. I smiled back sadly, not caring they pitied me. I'm not important right now.


Darren.

I really can't believe Jes ran away. They told me she ran away once before. No wonder why Frank was so desperate to let her work at the shop. The girl has secrets, secrets I'm going to find.

I zipped up my jacket, hunching my shoulders to protect myself from the cold air. Belleville isn't that big of a town. If we were fast enough, we would be able to find her right away.

Casey and Mrs. Iero were going to look around Belleville High, Damien around our shop, Frank downtown, and I at the train station.

Why the hell do we have to even search here? She wouldn't be here. When people run, they go to the buses, not the trains. Trains take too long to leave and there's always cops on each one checking passengers. Buses leave as soon as you get on and pay the fare.

How do I know this? Eh, I ran away from home a couple times in my past. I was stupid and did it because I could never get what I want. For some reason though, I had a feeling Jes ran away for the second time in a row for some good reason.

I threw the cigarette I had been smoking to the ground. I watched the flame sizzle and die before I walked into the train station. First things first, where would you go if you were at a train station? Ticket sellers!

I pushed my way through angry people who were flipping me off for being rude. I would have done the same but I saw someone who looked vaguely like Jes. I didn’t detect the girl from her clothes. It was the way she was standing that caught my eye.

Jes always had a habit of tilting her head to the side when she was standing still. I always noticed her doing that at work.

She was waiting in line to buy a ticket to somewhere away from here. Right before it was her turn, I pulled her arm, dragging her away from the ticket booth. She turned her head forcefully towards me, anger written all over her face.

When she noticed me, it was gone in that instant. Now she looked scared. I hunched over placing both hands on her shoulders. I shook her gently. "What are you doing?"

She opened her mouth to speak but nothing came out. I clenched my jaw, about to say something else before I saw the other investigators running towards us.

"Do you want to stay with me for a little while?" I whispered into her ear. I felt her nod her head hesitantly. I nodded, holding her into a hug. Her thin and shaky arms wrapped around my waist.

"Oh thank god," Mrs. Iero sighed when she saw I was holding Jes. They all stood a few feet away, happy we found her in time.

Frank was right behind them. He looked angry as shit. He walked up to us and pulled Jes away from me. My hands rolled into shaky fists. "Stop it! You're hurting her!" I yelled.

He flipped me off and held onto her arms with too much force. I could tell she was scared for her life.

"Why did you run away again?" he asked harshly.

She wouldn't answer. He repeated the question. I rolled my eyes. "She's scared of you. Fucking stop it. She's staying with me for a while until she calms down," I sighed, crossing my arms over my chest.

Frank glared at me just like he wanted to kill me. What is wrong with this kid?

"...So you run away, get convinced by Darren of all people to stay, and you're going to stay with him?"

"What the fuck is that supposed to mean?" I spat, advancing on him. Damien held me back, shaking his head.

Jes nodded slowly.

"WHY?"

"Frank stop. She's scared. You're making it worse," reasoned Mrs. Iero. She tried pulling him away. He shrugged her out of his reach.

"No! Why? What's so special about Darren?"

Jes looks down at the ground. "I-I..."

"Tell me! Why can't you come back home? I want you to come back!" The pleas were getting too desperate. At the exact same time, Casey and Mrs. Iero released Frank's grip on Jes as I pulled her towards my body.

She was shaking again, worse than before. Look what the bastard did. I sighed angrily, stroking her hair. Damien tapped my shoulder, telling me her suitcase was in my car. I silently thanked him, lifting Jes in my arms.

I walked us back to my car and sat her down in the passenger seat. She was so traumatized that I had to buckle her into her seat.

The whole drive was silent, not a good kind of silent. I sighed, wishing she would say something. Giving up hope, I parked in my reserved spot and carried her up to my apartment.

I made my way to the bedroom and sat her down on the mattress. She still wasn't saying anything. Her eyes were blank when I stared into them. "Jes," I spoke in a soft voice, "I'm going to sleep on my couch and let you have my bed okay?"

She didn't say anything. I sighed again, closing the door behind me. I hope she doesn’t stay this way. It’s heartbreaking to see her with no emotions. I think as long as she’s away from Frank, she’ll be fine.
♠ ♠ ♠
The second update of the day =]

Again, title credit goes to Avenged Sevenfold's I Won't See You Tonight Part 2