Status: Thank you for reading!

The Long Journey Ahead

Barney Loves You

Darren.

Close to three months has passed and Jes is still living with me. I'm definitely not complaining. I like having her live with me. Having someone else in the house besides me is a nice feeling. I'm not as lonely as I used to be.

She doesn't take up much room and she cleans the house for me. She isn't a burden. The girl doesn't eat either! The biggest thing I've seen her eat is an eight-ounce steak. Even then, she could barely finish it.

That bothered me; it bothered me greatly. Yet, whenever I asked her about her eating habits, she would tell me to stop asking. I also asked her about Frank, about her life before Belleville, about what happened. She told me to stop asking about this too. However, she told me she would tell me about it one day.

So here I am, sitting in front of the TV, waiting if today would be the day she would tell me.

"You must really love that show," her soft voice chirped.

"No. Not really," I replied, mindlessly looking back at the TV.

"Could have fooled me. You must really love watching Barney." Emphasis on Barney.

I shook my head focusing on the screen. Wow, it was Barney. I groaned, throwing my head against the couch back. That should hurt but I'm too used to doing this. Sleeping on this couch has not been fun at all. But Jes should take the bed and I was being a gentleman.

"Hello?" A hand waved in front of my face. "Darren are you there?"

I smirked. "No, but if you don't hide in the next two minutes, I'm going to tickle you to death." I acted as though I said something unimportant and looked to Jes. Her lips were in an 'O' shape.

"You wouldn't!" she gasped, covering her mouth with her hand.

I nodded. "I would and you know it." Disbelief was in her eyes but I could tell she was about to jump out of her seat.

Testing the waters, I moved an inch from my seat. Jes screamed and took off running. I heard multiple doors slam shut before I stood up.

"Are we really playing hide and seek?!" I screamed loud enough so she would hear me, even in the deepest depths of my apartment.

I heard a muffled, "Yeah!" before I heard another door slam.

Does she know how predictable she is? I already knew where she was. Walking around as silently as I could, I opened the bathroom door. Of course she isn't in here. She's in the next room.

For some reason, my bathroom doesn't have one of those built-in wall cabinets. Instead, I have a door that's connected to my bedroom walk-in closet. It's weird but I'm used to it and it's useful when I don't feel like having to walk 20 feet to my room after a shower.

I turned the doorknob and pulled it open slowly. There she was standing over the closet door. She looked so cute, like a little kid waiting to run out and scream 'Surprise!'

I tip toed over to her, close enough to grab her body. That's when I started tickling her sides. She squealed and tried getting out of my hold.

"Darren stop! I give!" she gasped between laughs. I couldn't help but to smile. Jes is too adorable.

Still having my grip on her, I flicked the light switch, seeing the excitement in her eyes. She smiled at me keeping her hands on my arms to try to pull me off her. That’s not happening today, babe.

We were both quiet. The rush of the moment died as soon as the lights turned on. Gulping, I pressed my lips to her's. As soon as I did it, I pulled away.

I'm so stupid! I know she doesn't feel that way about me. Why did I do that? She's going to leave now. I ruin everything.

"Darren..." I heard her whisper. I looked at her again. "You look so hurt."

I didn't reply. Of course I'm hurt! I like you but you like Frank! Do you know how much that sucks?

She pouted expertly moving her hands up to my neck. She licked her lips and pulled me closer to her.

Holy shit! Holy shit!