Status: Thank you for reading!

The Long Journey Ahead

Our First Encounter

Frank.

"Do you feel bad that we lied to your mom?" Jes asked, lifting her head from my chest.

I looked at her face; time seemed to stop for a few moments. I could never become tired of how beautiful she was to me. Her lips were in a small pout as she stared into my eyes.

Some have said my eyes are nice and pretty, but mine could never compare to her eyes. Her gray eyes were always so bright and sparkly, I was sure she could stop you on the spot if you looked into her perfect orbs of emotions. Gray eyes were supposed to show bitterness and anger, but Jes' always showed that she cared.

I figured I made her wait enough since her gaze didn't falter from mine. "Not at all," I said simply.

"Why not?"

"Because I know she likes the idea of us together. She loves you to death and she's my mom so she has to love me."

"Wow!" she whispered loudly. "That is such a nice way to put it."

"Isn't it? Anyways, you should get some sleep. I'll leave in a little while so she doesn't suspect anything."

"Okay."

Her eyes shut as I ran my fingers through her hair. I didn't understand why she loved it when I played with her hair. It couldn't have felt that soothing could it? One of these days, I'm going to ask her to play with mine.

Jes made a small noise as her right arm moved against my chest. She turned her head to the other side before going back to her peaceful sleep.

My heart was thumping in overdrive. How could I be this close to a girl without actually trying anything? Granted, I'm still a virgin but I've always had dirty thoughts about other girls. I don't know how Jes made it possible for me to revert to my innocent days.

I didn't want her to have sex with me. I just wanted her to love me. Something about this girl sleeping on top of me made me see things differently. I couldn't explain my feelings for her. I wanted to, but whenever I opened my mouth, nothing but air escaped.

It's been more than a year, but I still remember exactly how Jes and I came to know each other. It all started with a simple phone call...

I stumbled down the stairs with both my shoes untied. Gus was supposed to pick me up five minutes ago to go to our friend's house to hang out. I was running late and so was he. He was the one with the car though, so he would technically be early.

The phone rang as I finally tied my shoes and ran to the front door. "Damn it!" I cursed, slapping my forehead with my hand.

I grabbed the phone, thinking of a quick way to tell the person I was busy nicely. "Hello?" I nearly screamed.

"D-Demetrius! He-he c-c-cheated!" a wailing girl sobbed into the phone.

My whole plan bombed. "Uh, you have the wrong number. I'm Frank," I said hurriedly, seeing the lights of a car flashing repeatedly.

The girl continued to cry. "Nine months! Nine stupid months!"

Oh god, how am I supposed to let her go? "Oh, uh, hey. It's okay. You'll find someone else. It's not like you loved him."

She cried even more. That was NOT the right thing to say. I guess she did love him.

I sighed and walked to the living room. I opened the blinds and made a waving sign to tell Gus to leave me. He made a face before backing out of my driveway and leaving me with a hysterical girl.

I sat down on the floor and did my best to calm her down. I repeatedly said things such as "He wasn't worth it", "That guy's a douche", "Nice girls always get hurt by dumb guys", and "One day you'll find that guy that won't hurt you".


That one phone call changed everything. This Demetrius guy gave her the wrong digits and she contacted me instead. Now that was the start of a beautiful and complicated friendship.

"One day you'll find that guy that won't hurt you."

It's funny how I turned out to be that guy. It's funny how a lot of things happened.

I checked the watch on my wrist. Three a.m. on the dot. That's my cue to go back to my room. Slowly, I lifted Jes away from my chest and laid her down gently on her bed. She made a noise again and shifted before staying still. I smiled and kissed her cheek before leaving the room.

Yup, that girl stole my heart.