Status: Thank you for reading!

The Long Journey Ahead

Is This Supposed To Be Happening?

Work today is extremely slow. Even Darren wasn't saying anything. He does not know when to shut up! Yet he's quiet right now. Sometimes wishes do come true.

"Are there any appointments today?" Damien asked, yawning.

I flipped through the big black grid book. Clicking my tongue, I searched for today’s date. A ball of paper hit the side of my head.

"Hey!" I shouted, looking at Darren. He smiled and waved hello to me.

I rolled my eyes and went back to looking for the correct date. "Found it! Today...there are no scheduled appointments Damien."

He groaned in frustration and turned the music back up. The Artist of the Day is Pantera. The current song is Domination.

I tapped my foot to the vocalist's singing while attempting to freehand a tiger in one of the tattoo books. I'm not very good at art but there really isn't anything for me to do.

A failed attempt later, Darren stood beside me and hip bumped me. I smirked and hip bumped him back. The only thing, he didn't move one centimeter. I don't like his tall self.

"So, I think I should be thanked for getting you this awesome job," he said in an odd airy voice.

"Thank you?" I answered and asked.

He smiled that big smile of his and shook his head at me. “That's not enough. See I think that you should take me out to Lunch as a thank you for getting a job here." He grabbed my right wrist and pulled me towards the door. "Watch the shop Damien! Jes and I are going out to Lunch!"

Once we made it outside, he let go of my wrist and shoved his hands into his jean pockets. "Where do you want to go?" I questioned.

He tilted his head, thinking. After a minute of aimless walking, he replied with, "Let's go to Helen's Pizza!"

Again, he grabbed my wrist and pulled me towards the pizza parlor. If this guy kept this up, I'm going to lose my arm.

We sat down in one of the old-fashioned booths, ordered a plain 16-inch pie with two Cokes, and sat in an uncomfortable silence.

At first, we played 20 Questions. I found out his favorite color is silver, his favorite animals are rabbits, he'd rather be a Spaniard (I don't know so don't ask me), and he wants to get a degree in Biochemistry.

I know right? He always pops up with the some of the most random facts about himself. We did keep the topic of college in our conversation for a while though. That's when I realized I'm probably not going to be able to go to college. To get into a high school, I know that I need all of my legal documents.

I do miss school and education but I never really liked learning anyways. I would rather just work and get my paycheck. Therefore, that's what I'm going to do.

The serious conversation we had went away as soon as our pizza came. Darren went back to talking about himself and never shutting up.

I ate and drank, only pretending to listen. I was probably doing a horrible job at acting like I cared but he didn't mind. Darren loves to talk about himself. It's always Darren, Darren, Darren. Me, me, me.

I was half-asleep when he asked me a sudden question I never thought he'd ask. "How come you didn't tell anyone your birthday was two weeks ago?"

I almost choked on my soda, coughing into my napkin. "I didn't know I had to," I mumbled, drawing circles on the side of my glass of soda.

"You should've! We love celebrating birthdays at the shop! And that makes you 15, almost close to being legal." He then winked at me and it freaked me the hell out.

"Yay?" I answered uncertain. He only looked at me before paying for the Lunch. "I thought I was paying for this," I pouted when we walked over to the counter.

"Don't worry about it babe. I was only kidding." Darren winked again and touched my cheek.

Alright, this was going way beyond creepy. I don't like people touching me in weird ways that make me uncomfortable.

We began walking back to work after getting out of the pizza parlor. Damn! We had a three hour lunch! Damien would kill me!

There's a slight possibility Darren can read minds. As soon as I thought about Damien firing me, Darren fired back saying, "He's not going to fire you. I was the one who took you out to Lunch so it's my fault. He'll fire me but he won't since I'm his brother. Stop worrying."

I nodded, hoping he was right. If he's wrong, I'll kill him. Okay, I won't kill him but I'll hurt him! Somehow. Some way.

I sighed in relief when the shop was finally in view. I started walking faster, hoping this day would end faster. We were about 10 feet away from the door. I felt Darren's hand grab my wrist for the third time today and lightly pushed me against the wall.

I barely had breathing room; he was so close to my personal space. I tried looking to my left and right without much luck. I had to look at Darren.

His eyes were shut; he looked asleep to me. When he opened his eyes, he had this far off distant look in his eyes. I didn't know what it meant but I was curious to find out.

"Jessica..."

Ew Jessica! I hate that name. There's a reason it says Jes on my name tag. "Y-yeah?" I replied, hesitant.

He murmured his next words, making me strain my ears to listen to him clearly. "You probably think it's wrong but I like you, I like you a lot."

Oh gosh.