There's Too Much Green To Feel Blue

The Anthem-Remix

Peter went back home with an empty bag. His boss had raved about Peter and his muffins to everyone. He strode into his apartment.
"Petey's in da house!" Sam cheered.
"Petey, Petey!" he heard Lily from somewhere in the house.
Sam skipped over to Peter, "How's it, Jimmy Eat World?" Sam greeted.
Sam had a smudge of pink on her nose.
"You have--" Peter began.
"Huh? Oh, yeah." she held up a finger with more pink stuff and smudged it on his cheek. She giggled and went to the kitchen.
"Daddy!" Lily came running with pink stuff on her cheeks.
Pete picked her up, "What's with all the pink?"
"We're making a cake. I remembered the massacre of a cake you made the other day and I decided to show you what a real cake looks like."
She motioned to a chocolate cake set on a green plate in front of her. She pulled a green bowl full of pink frosting toward her.
"Who wants to help me put clothes on this sucker?"
Peter and Lily stared at Sam.
"You know what they say, whoever helps mom in the kitchen gets to lick the spoon."
Pete put Lily down and they ran to Sam.
"No, no, no, you go change first, dirty man." Sam said waving a pallet at him.
"Yes, mom." Pete said and trudged to his room.
He came back wearing tight blue jeans and a tight gray jacket over his bare chest with the hoodie pulled up. When he entered the kitchen, Sam turned to Peter.
"Oops." she said purposefuly flicking pink icing on his chest.
"Hey! I don't ever want to hear you say I'm a dirty man!"
"Dirty man." Sam said.
"I'll show you dirty." he dipped his hand in the bowl and slowly smeared it on her left cheek. Sam smiled at him.
"Daddy!" Lily raised a frosting covered hand to him.
He leaned down and let her smack her hand on his cheek.
"Don't look up my skirt, Peter." Sam said.
Pete looked up at Sam. She was wearing a pink shirt, a small peach sweater over it, a short orange skirt and ballerina shoes, one was pink and one was orange.
"I wasn't going to." Pete said.
"But I know you want to." Pete said.
He grinned and straightened up.
"Let me clean that up for you." Sam said staring at his chest.
She grabbed him by the shoulders, stuck out her tongue and leaned into his chest.
"Hey! What are you doing?" Pete said laughing and pulling away.
"Cleaning you up." Sam said.
"Not like that!" Pete laughed.
"But you want me to." Sam said.
Pete blushed slightly and grinned, "You've got guts." he said.
"I've got more than that, pattycake. Come on, let's finish this up." she said turning to the cake.
They covered the cake up in frosting and then sat to eat dinner. When it was time for dessert, Sam had one slice, Lily had two and Peter had three.
"You make the most amazing things!" Peter raved as he took a bite of cake, "You make great muffins, cupcakes, cake, cappuchinos--"
"I'm a great kisser, too." Sam joked.
"You're a very good kisser." Peter said going along with her.
Sam smiled.
"Oh, you know, I almost forgot that my mom called me during the week, I better call her back."
Peter got up to use the phone on the wall while Sam went to the living room to clean up things.
Peter dialed his mother's number. They had a quick chat to catch up on things.
"How's that girl working up for you?" his mother asked, "She hasn't burned your house down yet, has she?"
"She happens to be a very good cook." Peter said knowing his comment would deliver a devastating blow to his mother.
"Yeah, I'll be sure to tell that to her last boss's poor kids when I see the poor things--"
"Okay, mom, I gotta go." Peter snapped. He hung up.
He turned and looked at Sam. He remembered what his mother had said when she had first suggested Sam to care for Lily. Curious, Peter walked toward Sam.
"Sam?" he asked standing next to her.
"Yeah?" Sam asked as she picked toys up from the bottom of the couch.
"Whatever happened to your last job?" he asked.
The head of one of Lily's dolls snapped in Sam's hands. "What?" she whispered.
Peter had never seen Sam like this. She looked scared and worried.
"No, it's just," Pete chuckled, "my mom seems to think that you burned someone's--"
"There was no fire!" Sam snapped.
"She also thinks the kids--"
"They're okay. They're okay. They're okay. They're okay. Okay?!"
"Okay!" Peter said raising his hands to calm her down.
He was very surprised by her reacction.
"I think I should go." Sam said and without another word, she ran to the door.
"Man, this is just like my nightmare!" she said as she ran out the door.
Sam didn't even bother taking the elevator. She ran up two flights of stairs, she turned a corner and ran straight into William.
"Came running straight into my arms." William said putting his hands around her, "Why am I not surprised?"
Sam looked up at him, "Oh, no, not a rich kid!" she pulled away and ran to her apartment.
Two hours later, Sam sat in her apartment bored. The most she had done was change into a red wife beater and small black shorts. She grabbed her cell phone.
Peter was bathing Lily. He found things went much smoother for him if he didn't wear a shirt. So he sat next to the tub, playing with Lily and wearing his baggy p.j. shorts. His cell phone ran from up top on the sink. He reached out for it.
"Sam?" he answered.
"Pete-man, get up here, I'm bored." she said.
"Dude, you ran out of my apartment."
" 'Dude, you ran out of my apartment.' " she mimicked, "I know and I have good reasons for it. Now get up here and cure my boredom!"
Peter rolled his eyes. Sam seemed to know.
"I made another cake." she tempted.
Peter grinned, "I'll be right up. Let me just get Lily out of the bath, it might be a while, you know it takes forever." he said.
"No, it doesn't, just tell her you're going to pull the plug and if she doesn't get out the water will take her with it." Sam said.
Peter stared into the phone, "That, that doesn't sound nice."
"But it's effective. I'll wait for you, rubber ducky." Sam hung up.
Peter hung up and turned to Lily. "Lils, time to get out." he said.
"No." she said splashing around.
Pete dipped his hand into the tub and took hold of the plug. "I'm going to pull the plug, if you don't get out, the water will go down and you're going to go down with it."
Immediately, Lily reached out her hands, "Okay."
Pete smirked, surprised that it worked. "Come on, we're going to visit Sam so put your p.j.'s on quick."
He pulled her out and wrapped her in a big fluffy white towel.
"But I'm tired." she complained.
"Sam's got cake." he bribed.
"Ooh, okay!" she ran to her room.
Peter chuckled, "You're just like your father."
He went to his room, slipped on a white shirt and a black beanie, grabbed Lily and went to Sam's.
As they approached Sam's apartment, they heard music so loud, it was vibrating the walls of the hallway.
"Daddy, is it an earthquake?" Lily asked holding his hand tighter.
William opened his apartment and looked out. He saw Peter.
"Wentz, could you tell your girlfriend to lower her music." he said slightly annoyed.
A chorus of 'yeah' followed the comment. Peter and Lily turned and saw half of the neighbors sticking their heads out of their doors.
Aware of everyone watching him, Peter slowly stepped torward the door and knocked on it. The door instantly opened.
"Peter!" she pulled him into the apartment.
"Lily, it's our song!" Sam exclaimed, "Dance!"
Lily instantly let go of Peter's hand and began to move her hips in a slow circular motion. It was so cute, Peter had to laugh.
"Lily, where'd you learn that?" he asked her.
"Gotta do something before we make your dinner." Sam answered dancing around.
"Oh, the neighbor's are complaining about the music." Peter said.
Sam stopped dancing, "What?!" she said suddenly angry.
She strode angrily toward the door. Peter had never seen Sam mad. He pulled Lily behind him as Sam threw open the door.
"Is there a problem out here?" she demanded.
An argument instantly began. Peter could only hear bits and pieces because of the loud music. Sam was very animated. She waved her arms, made hand signals and shook her head.
The music paused and William's voice streamed through the door.
"--all I'm saying is I have a huge headache and there's only one thing that can cure it!"
"What?" Sam snapped.
"Sex!"
The crowd outside groaned and Peter covered Lily's ears.
"You know what you can do with your little headache?" Sam began, but the music started again and drowned out her words.
Sam stood in the doorway and argued for ten minutes before Peter decided to intervene.
"Daddy, I'm tired." Lily said rubbing her eyes.
"Hang in there, Lils. Let me take care of this." he said stroking her head and walking toward the doorway.
He emerged through the doorway and stood in the hallway on Sam's right.
"Okay, what's going on?" Peter asked.
"Wentz," William said motioning towards him, "you're the only one who can talk some sense into her!"
"It's my apartment, I can listen to whatever I want, as loud as I want!" Sam argued.
"That doesn't mean the rest of us want to hear it!" William said.
He seemed to have become a representative for the rest of the neighbors, who stayed looking out of their apartments quietly.
"Well, what can I do? I like my music loud enough to rock the walls."
William seemed to struggle with his emotions. He bit his lip, looked to the side, looked down, then up and grinned.
"You know what else is loud and can rock the walls?" he asked.
"Beckett!" Sam scolded.
Peter looked in on Lily, "Lily, earmuffs!" He pretended to cover his ears in case Lily couldn't hear him. Lily obeyed.
"I know, I know, I'm sorry!" William said, "Focus, Mr. Jonesy Slowdown!" he said looking down.
"Who's Jonesy?" Sam asked.
"My--"
Peter looked in on Lily again and motioned for the earmuffs. Lily obeyed again.
"Beckett!" Peter scolded, at the same time, Sam said, "Why Jonesy? Wait, forget Jonesy, why Slowdown?"
"Because girls are always telling me to--"
"Okay, it's time to settle this." Peter cut in, "Sam, go turn down your music. Everyone else, Sam is a naturally loud person." he explained, "I would know," he motioned to himself, "Every morning she's always there with me and she always wakes me up."
The neighbors began to murmur to each other, William smirked and folded his arms and Sam put a hand to her face.
"Okay, Peter, go turn off the radio, please." Sam said pinching the top of her nose and squeezing her eyes in frustration.
Peter went inside. The neighbors stared at Sam grinning.
"Oh, you can all just go and screw yourselves!" she yelled. She turned to the apartment and slammed the door shut.
Inside, Peter faced her. "Bored still?" he asked.
"I rarely ever get times to be bored." Sam said. She clapped her hands together, "So, who wants cake?"
"I think it'll just be me." he said. He looked over at the couch.
Lily sat there, her head nodding.
Sam put her fists on her hips, "Peter, what is she doing up? Isn't it her bed time?"
"Yeah, but she's been staying up later lately, you know that."
"Then she's not ready for bed yet." Sam said. She kneeled down in front of Lily, "Lily, do you want some cake?" she asked.
"I'm sleepy." Lily said shaking her head.
"Not for long." Sam said. She stood up and went to the kitchen, "Come get some, peace maker." Sam called.
She pulled out a delicious looking chocolate cake covered in red frosting.
"Wow, that looks awesome." Pete said in awe.
"You look awesome." Sam said, "Here." she cut a thick piece for him and another for his daughter.
Pete took a piece from his cake. He chewed twice and paused. "Oh, my God." he said stunned.
"I think I should go offer some cake to the neighbors." Sam said holding the plate, "You know, as a white flag."
"Go white flag all you want, just don't let them finish the cake." Peter answered.
"Okay, don't forget that other slice is for your daughter." Sam said as she headed toward the door.
Sam delivered slices of cake to the three neighbors that had complained. She was doing it to be nice but she couldn't help but snap at them whenever they hinted about Peter. Peter's comment to defend her, although valiant, had only furthered the rumors of their relationship. Sam went to William's apartment last.
"What is it my loud, feisty girl?" he asked, pleased to see her.
"I've come to offer you cake as a piece offering." Sam said.
"Ugh, finally." He grabbed her arm and pulled.
"No! Look at the cake in my hand, Beckett." Sam highered the cake.
"You made the muffin and the cupcake." he said.
Sam nodded.
"Okay, give it to me." William said.
Sam cut a slice for him.
"I wasn't talking about the cake."
Sam raised an eyebrow at him, "William, hold this." she placed the knife on the plate and handed it to him. William held it.
"You idiot!" Sam pushed him as hard as she could, "Thanks to you, the entire building probably thinks," she glanced at her door and lowered her voice, "probably thinks I'm sleeping with Peter."
"Wait, wait, say my name again." William said.
"William?" she said confused.
"Oh, yes." he said closing his eyes.
Sam shoved him again.
"Honey, they don't think you're sleeping with him, they know it." he laughed.
"But I'm not!" Sam yelled.
The neighbor's door opened and they poked their heads out curiosuly.
"Get back inside your houses and sleep!" Sam snapped.
They immediately retreated.
"Does nothing stay private in this building?!" Sam cried angrily.
"Those are the neighbors for you." William said putting a hand on his thin waist.
"Yeah, if they're not sex crazy, they're nosy." Sam grumbled taking the plate back.
"Aw, are you mad?" he cooed.
"Go and get me a plate!" she snapped.
He turned, grabbed an empty plate with a fork off a tv set and helt it in front of her lazily.
"I shouldn't be giving this to you. After what you've done to me, you don't deserve this." Sam said cutting a slice and putting it on his plate.
"Babe," he said giving her an exasperated look, "it's not the worst thing in the world."
"No, the worst thing in the world would be for me to sleep with you." Sam insulted.
He frowned slightly, "No, it wouldn't." William said seriously. He seemed a bit hurt, "Let me show you." He gently placed his hand on hers.
"William, I have a knife, don't test me."
"But you'll like it, I promise." he pleaded, "I didn't name my junk Mr. Slowdown for nothing."
"That sounds amazing." Sam said tonelessly, "Good night, Mr. Jonesy."
Sam took a few steps, stopped at her door and turned around again. "Oh, and William?" Sam asked.
William has his right elbow propped up on the doorway and was staring at Sam walk away.
"What?" he said shifting his eyes from Sam's backside to her eyes.
"I named my 'down there' Dawson." she grinned.
"Dawson?" William grinned back amused, "Kinky."
Sam shrugged, turned around and went into her apartment.
William nodded to himself, "Dawson." he said to himself, "Dawson, meet Mr. Jonesy." He went into his apartment.