There's Too Much Green To Feel Blue

The Poison

When Lily left to her room, Peter walked to the couch and sat next to Sam. He sat still for a minute.
"Sam," he said, "come on, talk to me."
Sam didn't move, she didn't speak.
"Sam, why are you--look at you, you look so miserable. How can I help you, Sam?"
Sam said nothing but she leaned her head against his shoulder.
"Aw," he placed an arm around her, "Sam, come on."
She turned her purple blanket covered head to him. She was looking pale, her hair looked unbrushed, curls were hanging down her forehead and the side of her face.
"Sam, come on, don't be sad, I'm sure your dog will be fine." he stroked her shoulder.
Sam sighed.
"Feel better," he said, "Smile for me."
Sam turned to him and gave him a deadly look.
"Sam, you're scaring me." he said, "I worried about you all night. Let me help you," he clicked his tongue, "Look at you, this isn't you."
Sam moved away from Pete and then leaned her head on the arm rest.
"I don't like seeing you like this, you remind me of myself."
"Except I'm more attractive." Sam murmured rolling to her left.
"You talked!" Peter pulled he up to a sitting position.
"Leave me alone, I'm miserable." Sam croaked. She pulled away and laid her head on the armrest.
"Sam, cheered up. Come on, pull of the blanket, jump or something." Peter encouraged.
With a groan, Sam slid off the couch, stood in front of Peter and did the smallest, laziest jump Peter had ever seen.
"You happy, bungie jumper?" she said.
"No, I'm not." Peter said staring into her eyes.
"Why not?" Sam asked slightly annoyed.
"Because you're not." Peter answered.
Sam murmered something as she curled back up in the couch.
Peter placed a hand on her back, "Sam, let's play the glad game, okay? You think about everything that makes you glad. What makes you glad?"
"Death." Sam said.
Peter groaned exasperated, "Sam--"
"Get dressed for work, Mr. Happy Hands."
Frowning, Peter got up and went to his room to change. When he emerged, Sam was stretched out on the couch with the blanket gathered around her. Peter took Lily's dirty dishes to the kitchen and gave her a hug.
"Lily, here's my cell phone number." he slipped her a small piece of paper, "if Sam starts acting funny, call me."
"But she's already acting funny." Lily said worriedly glancing at Sam.
"If she starts acting funnier." Peter said.
"Okay." Lily nodded.
Peter kissed her forehead. He stood up and went to the couch. "I'm leaving now." Peter announced.
Sam waved him away.
Peter went to the door, but hesistated. He looked back at Sam. "Sam, I don't want to leave you like this."
Sam didn't say anything.
"Bye." he said.
With a heavy heart, he left. He paused outside when he heard Lily's voice.
"What do you want to do today, Sam?" Lily asked.
"Cry." Sam answered.
Peter sighed. He went back into the apartment. "I'm not going." he announced.
"What?" Sam sat up, surprised.
"I'm not going, I can't leave you like this when you need me." Peter said.
"Working man, no." Sam protested, "You have to go work, you have to bring in the money."
Peter sighed, "If I go, will you promise you'll be all right?"
"I'll try not to stay on the couch all day." Sam promised.
"Okay." Peter agreed.
She layed back down.
"I guess I will leave now." Peter said.
"You didn't eat anything, did you?" she asked.
"No." Peter said.
"Go to my apartment, there's some cake in the micorwave, go crazy." she threw him the keys.
Peter caught them, " 'Kay, bye."
He stepped out the door and stood there thinking. Cake for breakfast? Now he knew Sam was more than a little off today. He still felt uneasy about leaving her there in her state. He took the elevator two stories up. Hardly believing what he was doing, he walked down the hallway and knocked on William's door. He knocked for five minutes before he answered the door. William, wearing a white shirt, baggy white pants and a black robe with disheveled hair, took one look at Peter through half closed eyes and groaned.
"What is it, Wentz? Come to gloat?"
"No," Peter said confused, "I need a favor."
William groaned and proceeded to slam the door in his face.
"It's about Sam." Pete said quickly, "Your neighbor?" Peter never knew about William's infactuation with Sam.
A suddenly wide eyed William pulled the door back open, "How is the princess?"
"Well, that's why I came. She's taking care of my kid, but she is super depressed. I don't want to leave her there, could you go and check up on her from time to time?"
Peter knew Sam would probably hate him for this, but he was worried sick. Seeing Sam so deflated made him lose the little hope and hapiness he had left and he wanted so desperately to hang on to it.
"I'm there." William agreed, "How bad is she?"
"She's hardly talking and she won't let go of her purple blanket."
William winced, "Don't worry, I'll take care of her. I'll make her feel better."
His nerves slightly increasing at William's more than ready reaction, Peter said good bye and left.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Sam and Lily spent most of the morning on the couch watching Lily's cartoon movies. Lily had just left to play in her room when there was a knock on the door. Groaning loudly, Sam slowly peeled herself off the couch. She had made some progress during the morning. She no longer had the blanket over her head, however, she still had it draped around her shoulders. She lazily shuffled to the door and opened it.
"Whoa, babe!" William said, his eyes widening at the sight of her face, "Are you okay?"
"Go away, William, what are you doing here?" Sam grumbled.
"I came to check in on you." he said.
"Peter." Sam muttered angrily to herself.
As she mentally swore vengeance, William spoke.
"Darling, you still upset over that pooch?" William said, "Poor baby." He placed his arms around her and embraced her, "Feel better?" he asked when he let her go.
"I've made a miraculous recovery." Sam said emotionlessly.
"Babe," William tilted his head to her, "nobody feels sad around William."
"And nobody refers to themselves as a second person." Sam said in the same dull tone, "Except William Shatner and David Hasselhoff." she placed her hand on the door.
"Wait!" William said, "I brought you a present."
"If it's Mr. Jonesy, I'm going to be very upset." Sam warned.
William smiled, pulled out a small red lollipop from his back pocket and presented it to her. "Mr. Jonesy send his love." William grinned.
Sam took the lollipop and looked at William's face, "Thank you, or rather," she looked at him below the waist, "thank you."
With that she closed the door.
"Wait!" William knocked on the door, "Do you want to talk?"
"To Mr. Jonesy, no!" Sam called through the door.
"How about to me?" William asked knocking with both fists.
"Even less! Go away!"
"Don't be that way, darling."
"GO AWAY!" Sam cried savagely.
William jumped away from the door. "Fine!" he stormed away.
Sam unwrapped the lollipop and placed it in her mouth.
"Mmm, that's what I need." she looked up, "Lily, get ready, we're going to the corner store in one hour."
In exactly one hour, Sam slipped on a pair of white rimmed sunglasses and Lily and her exited the apartment building. Sam held onto Lily's hands frimly while she used her left hand to hold onto the blanket around her, which she hadn't bothered to take off despite the fact that they would be in public. She didn't care. Besides, it wasn't like the whole world paid attention to her. They walked down to the corner of the store of all the stares she was getting, they walked down to the corner store on the right end of the street. Totally unaware of all the states she was getting, they walked and entered the small, dark green store. Sam slipped off her glasses and let Lily go.
"Get what you want, kiddo, I'll buy it for you." Sam said.
Lily wandered around the tiny store while Sam grabbed every unhealthy thing she could. She grabbed a huge bag of Doritos, four Hershey's bars, a can of whipped cream, chocolate cyrup, two cans of bean dip, peanut butter, ice cream and a small bag of chocolate chip cookies. She deposited her items on the counter and then went around the cramped store randomly grabbing more snacks. The store attendant watched her curiously. Sam finished and deposited the rest of her items.
"You done, Lily?" Sam called.
Lily skipped over to her with a bag of gummy worms.
"Is that it?" Sam asked.
"Yes." Lily answered.
"Go get yourself juice." Sam said.
Lily ran off.
"Are you having a party?" the long blond haired, blue eyed, surfer looking guy asked.
"No." Sam said grudginly.
"You sure? There's alot of food here--"
"Just start ringing me up," she fought a small smile, "pretty eyes."
The guy smiled at her and grabbed an item from the couter. Sam grabbed two sticks of beef jerky from a jar when the door suddenly banged open. All three turned and saw William looking wind swept.
"Princess! There you are!" he entered the store breathing hard, "I knocked down two ladies and a hobo trying to chase you down."
"Lovely." Sam said unconcerned.
William hurried to her, "What are you doing?"
"Buying food." Sam said slightly annoyed.
"Food?" William asked picking up a Twinkie.
"It's a diet." Sam said grabbing the Twinkie.
"Really?"
"Yeah, it's called the 'Life Sucks Diet.' "
Lily returned with a small bottle of red juice. Sam took it and put it on the counter. She glanced at the blond guy, he smiled at her, William frowned.
"I'm staying with you for the rest of the day." he declared.
"Why?" Sam asked, slightly angry.
"Because you're in no condition to be by yourself." William said.
"And you're in no condition to be with anyone by yourself." Sam shot.
The blond man chuckled. Sam looked at him and they smiled at each other. William frowned again.
"I see you're feeling better." he muttered.
"I am not better. Unless someone can bring back Bowey, I'm miserable for the rest of my life."
"No, babe, don't be upset. I--" he sighed, "If I can bring Bowey back, will you sleep with me?"
"No." Sam said. She turned to the blond guy, "No, I'm not."
"Yes, you are, if I can get the dog." William said.
"Hell, if all it takes for me to sleep with you is the dog, I'll buy you a new one." the blond man said.
"You, shut up." William said, "How about it, princess?"
"No--get the dog first, then we'll talk." Sam said.
"Really?" William said.
"That's not a guarantee."
The blond guy pushed forward two paper bags. "Here you go, would you like me to carry them for you?" he asked grinning.
"No, I'll carry them for her." William intervened.
"No, I'll do it." she glared at William and scooped up the bags, "But, thank you," she said to the blond guy.
He smiled, "Have a nice day, please come back."
"Oh, I will." Sam grinned back at him as she walked towards the door, "Bye." she called.
"Hey." William warned.
"Bye." the guy called back.
"Hey!" William turned to the guy.
"Lily, hang on to my blanket." Sam instructed as they exited the store and walked down the sidewalk. William briskly followed.
"Hey," he grabbed the two paper bags from her arms, "what was that in there? With Mr. Surfer Man? You know he practices voodoo?"
"Then, if I were you, I'd beware of him." Sam said grabbing Lily's hand.
"Don't you have a boyfriend? What were you doing in there?" William asked.
"Then that would be my boyfriend's problem, not yours." Sam said.
"Yes, it is, because you're mine!" William said.
Sam stopped walking, bent over and laughed.
"Congratulations, you made me laugh. I think your job is done."
William took a deep breath, "That wasn't a joke."
"Just bring those bags up to Peter's place." Sam said as she started walking up again.
"I put up with too much for you." William grumbled.
"Then, why do you?"
"Because I want you." William answered simply.
"Uhu." Sam let go of Lily breifly to re-adjust her blanket.
William followed Sam quietly the rest of the way.
"Here." William handed her the bags in the lobby when they got there, "I'm going to go see what I can do about the dog."
"You can't be serious." Sam said taking the bags and watching him.
He smiled and stood close to her, "Princess," he cooed, "I will do what I can to get into a prety girl's pants."
"Then, why are you bothering with me?" Sam said without thinking.
He chuckled, "You're cute." he pinched her left cheek, "Take care, princess." he caressed her cheek and left.
Sam frowned lightly at his back as he walked away while Lily stared at him in awe.
"Jerk off." Sam muttered, "Come on, Lily!"
She grabbed her and they marched up to Pete's place.