There's Too Much Green To Feel Blue

Do You Know?

Sam awoke to a buzzing sound. She groaned and stirred but she didn't open her eyes until Lily came and jumped on top of her.
"Sam, Sam, you're phone is shaking!" she said, "And I'm hungry!"
Sam opened her eyes, sat up, reached over to the bedside table and unhooked her cell from the charger.
"Where is the food?" Sam answered sleepily.
"Oh, my God. Oh, my God. Oh, my God!" was the response.
"Leave me alone, Gabe." Sam grumbled.
"No, it's Brendon!"
"Oh," Sam said, "well, then, leave me alone, Brendon."
"No, no, I have something to tell you." he said.
Sam sighed tiredly and layed back down, "This better be good. I was having a dream where Orlando Bloom was my pool boy--"
"Some guy came and picked up Hash." Brendon said.
"What? What guy?" Sam asked.
"I don't know, some dude with dark hair." Brendon said.
"So, what, was it like a family member or something?" Sam asked sitting back up.
"I don't know, I guess." Brendon said, "So, uh, what are you doing?"
Sam clicked her tongue, "You woke me up at," she turned to her black and white Underoath alarm clock with the Underoath 'o' in the middle, "ten-fifteen in the morning just to tell me that? You gossip!"
"Aw, Sam--"
Sam grabbed her Underoath alarm clock, placed it to the phone and pressed the button that immediately played, 'In Regards To Myself'. Brendon, startled, pulled the phone away from his ear. Sam hung up and looked at Lily standing next to the bed in a small pink sleeveless nightgown Sam had bought the day before.
"He woke me up from a really good dream." Sam said.
Lily shrugged.
"You hungry?"
Lily nodded, "Yes."
"Go get dressed." Sam said pulling off the covers.
"What do I wear?" Lily asked.
Sam frowned, "Whatever, you want."
Lily jumped up and down excitedly and ran to the living room where they had left the shopping bags. Sam got out of bed, dressed in black leggings and a rainbow colored tunic with black striped and a hoodie and went to the kitchen.
"Sam, I want to wear the tutu but I don't know with what else." Lily called.
Sam went and sat on the floor in front of the sofa. "Your dad always tells you what to wear, huh?"
"Yes." Lily pouted.
She raised an eyebrow at Lily, "That is soo un-chic." she said shaking her head.
Un-chic." Lily agreed shaking her head.
"Well, that stops today."
Sam helped Lily into a pink tutu, bright green leggings, purple leg warmers, a magenta muscle shirt, a white thin scarf and a white headband.
"Do you like it?" Sam asked.
"Yes." Lily cheered.
"Cool, now do the catwalk." Sam said.
Lily placed a hand on her hip and strutted through the room.
"Yeah, yeah, work it, work it. Now work it all the way to the kitchen so you can help me make waffles."
Sam made waffles with a side of sausage and chocolate milk.
"Are we going to see daddy today." Lily said putting a piece of waffle in her mouth.
"Um, we'll see if he's feeling better today." Sam said putting a piece of waffle in her mouth.
Lily took another bite of her waffle and went, "Mmm."
After breakfast, Sam took Lily down to Robert.
"Hey, look at you." Robert said smiling at Lily and giving her a hug, "And look at you." he said checking Sam out.
Sam laughed nervously, "I need you to watch her, if you can."
"Sure." Robert said, "What for?"
"Oh, I need to check up on her Peter--"
Bert lowered his head, "Oh, that's right, you two are--"
"Oh, good Lord." Sam said, "Berty, I am surprised at you, you're bad. You can go--Lily, earmuffs!"
Lily's hands flew to her ears.
"You can go sleep with Peter if you want to because I sure as hell ain't the one sleeping with him!" she reached over and pulled his dirty blond hair.
"Ow!" he cried out grabbing his hair.
"You want an 'ow' ? Turn around so I can stick my perfectly petticured foot up your ass, you....you hobo!" she turned around and began to walk.
"Did you just call me a homo--"
"Hobo, dipshit!" Sam cried.
Fuming, she took the elevator to Peter's floor. She stopped in front of his door and she just stood there. She wanted to say something to make it all go away but this was one time she couldn't work her magic. She considered making something that Peter liked to eat but she doubted that he'd want to eat at the moment. Feeling more than a little put out, she decided to head to her apartment to do bit of thinking by herself for a few minutes.
When she was headed into her apartment, William opened his door. Damn, she could never slip past him.
"How are we feeling today?" William grinned.
"Extremely unattracted to you." Sam said dully.
William's grin turned into a line, "I am this close," he held his index and his thumb an inch apart, "to getting on my knees, sugar butt. This is going to happen hether you like it or not."
Sam crossed her arms and raised an eyebrow, "Is that a threat?"
William's grin returned, "Sure," he reached forward, grabbed her and held her close against him, "if it turns you on."
"It doesn't." Sam said trying to pull away.
"What does?" he took her chin in his hand and attempted to kiss her.
"Not you." Sam placed a hand on his lips to stop him.
William held her pretty hand, "Aw, babe." he seductively bit her fingers.
Sam pulled away and ran into the elevator. She hastily pressed the button to the lobby. She closed her eyes and breathed in deeply to subside her tingly body.
"Okay, Sam," she talked to herself, "think of things that will calm you down. The color green....roses....pie.....the smell of freshly washed clothes....okay, I'm good."
When the elevator stopped, she ran to the lobby and grabbed Lily.
"Come on, Lily, let's go to the store, I need some marshmallows."
"Sam?" Robert called.
"Not now, Robbie, I'm....a little turned on." she said as she left.
"Did you just say you're turned on--"
"Ticked off, dipshit!" Sam called as she exited.
Sam went to the corner store, bought a bag of big marshmallows and went to the park where she watched Lily play as she ate on a park bench.
Peter's day was the same as the others, except this time he lay on the couch shirtless. His night had been haunted by happy dreams with Hash and Lily. He was still recovering from his latest one, where Hash was so horrified with what she had done to Peter, that they decided to re-marry. Lily had been walking down the aisle, glowing in a little flower girl dress.
He hated that the dreams made him feel incredible and when he woke up, he felt the hard slap of reality. Actually, during one of the dreams at night, his mind knew it was a dream. But he purposefully forgot it to make the dream last as long as he could. He wanted someone to tell his dreams to. Sam was an excellent dream interpreter. He always told her his dreams. He remembered he once told her about a dream with Scarlett Johansen and she said that he had sexual desires. She wasn't wrong, but Peter never admitted it. But it's not like he needed his dreams to be interpreted now, he knew what they meant, he just wanted someone to tell them to. He was kind of in the mood for one of her muffins to make, at least, his mouth happy. He would have to remember to ask her when he felt better. But Peter didn't see that happening. He couldn't ever see himself getting through this bout of pure hell. Now he knew what hell felt like and now he knew why it was so important to avoid going to hell. What could possibly be worse than this? He wouldn't wish this on his most heinous enemies. If he could, he would take all the heartbreak in the world so that no one else would have to feel his whirlwind of daggers. What amazed him the most was the physical pain that this caused. He never knew a heart break could cause him physical pain. His chest was always constricted, it felt like a black poison was in his chest ripping his vital organs apart and releasing deadly venom. He constantly had to literally hold himself together to keep from completely losing it and falling apart.
He heard a buzzing sound from somewhere in the apartment. His phone. He raced to the counter and pulled the cell off the charger. He threw himself back onto the couch and opened the message he received. It was a picture of Sam with wide eyes and a marshmallow in her mouth. Pete smiled. He was closing up the picture when the phone vibrated again. It was another picture, but this time of Lily. She was wearing the cutest outfit in the world. Peter sat up to get a better look. There was a message that said : Look at ur daughter. That's right, UR daughter.
Pete studied the picture, smiled, pressed the phone to his forehead and began to crumble. He was never going to get over this. Peter layed down again. That's what he was going to do. He was going to lay here until death came with sweet salvation. He knew it would come soon, he was already dying, he just had to wait.
And so it came to pass, Peter waited a day and night for the day in which he wouldn't wake up. His will power was gone, he just waited for the end. He was just desperate to make the pain end somehow. In the mean time, he spent the time thinking of his wife, his daughter and the life he could've had. The life that he had thought about everyday for the past two years, the illusion of that life had kept him going. But he was just stupid, disillusioned and extremely disenchanted. Peter just layed there, emotionally drained. It became so extreme that Sam had enough.
One morning she woke up, dressed in skinny blue jeans, converse a gray shirt, her gray jacket and her favorite thin black scarf that Will had given to her. She dressed Lily and took her down to the lobby.
"Hey, Sam, you look good." Robert said.
"Thanks, I'm about to go do something, I have to look good." Sam said.
"You always look good." Robert said.
"I don't know how long I'll be, so keep her busy." Sam turned to leave and then turned back, "Behave." she said.
"She'll be fine." Robert assured.
"I was talking to you." Sam said. She climbed the steps and went into the elevator. Sam had a mission.
She reached Peter's floor. She went to his door and sat on the right side of the door, on the floor.
It was on this particular day, Peter was sitting on the floor, facing the wall and thinking. Like always, he was lost in his sad thoughts.
Sam sat on the floor and knocked on the door.
"Okay," she knocked on the door, "I've let this go on long enough."
"It's been a day." Peter said thinking that Sam was overreacting.
"It's been three!" Sam exclaimed.
Peter frowned and sat up surprised, "It's only been three days?" he asked.
It felt like he had been bleeding all over the apartment forever. He suddenly felt disoriented. He didn't know what day it was or even the time. Was it the weekend or a weekday? His guess was that it had been only a day but it had really been three. Now he really felt like he didn't belong in this world meant for happy feelings.
"It still hasn't been that long." Peter defended.
"Yes, but I know how you can be." Sam said.
Peter quieted while he pondered that. Once again, he felt that familiar connection with Sam at those words. Peter sighed heavily, he sat against the wall next to his door.
"I don't know, Sam, I don't know....I don't know." there was a desperate tone in his voice, "I don't know about anything anymore."
"Peter, I know everything's painful and confusing right now, but what you have to remember is that you're still a father."
"Well, that's the thing, I don't even know about that!" Peter cried.
"Yes, you do, Peter, look in your heart, you know that Lily is yours." Sam said.
"No, I don't know that, Sam, she could belong to some idiot off the subway." Peter said.
The emotion was building up in his chest.
"Is that what you really think?" Sam asked, knowing that Peter was struggling with what to believe.
Deep inside he knew the truth, Sam believed in him.
Peter paused, "I...am not here right now. Please leave your message at the sound of the beep...Beep."
"Hi, Peter, it's Sam..." Sam began.
Peter allowed himself a small smile.
"I'm just here sitting outside your place, waiting for you to open the door." Sam said continuing her message.
"No, I don't want you to look at me," Peter hugged his knees, "I'm pathetic."
"I've seen how you look straight out of bed, I think I can handle it." Sam said, "Come on, I'll spend the day with you."
"I don't think I'm ready for that either." Peter said.
"Well, I'm coming in there with Lily whether you like it or not."
She expected for Peter to fight back but she knew he wouldn't, she knew Peter wanted to see them, he just didn't want them to see him. She purposefully stayed quiet. She lowered herself onto the floor and peered through the door lining again.
Peter waited for Sam to say something, he really didn't want them to see him, but he really wanted to see them. But Sam never said anything.
"Did she leave?" Peter whispered to himself.
He layed on his stomach and peered through the space between the door and the floor. He saw Sam's smiling face there.
"Be back in a sec." she whispered.
But it was too late, he saw Sam's feet run off. He groaned and slunk back to the sofa.
Sam stopped halfway down the hall. It wouldn't be a good idea to bring Lily without preparing Peter first. Sam ran back, stopped in front of the door and tested the knob. It wasn't locked. Sam smirked, he would've locked the door if he really didn't want her to go in. He wanted to see them, he just had a little stage fright. He didn't want to be looked at and pitied upon. Sam knew this was the right thing to do. If she didn't do it, Peter would never pull himself together. It was very much like when she first met him. He was like a rag doll torn at the seams and she had to help him be like her Underoath alarm clock and pull himself together.
Sam turned the knob and walked into the apartment. He had his back to her, he was facing the sofa's back. He turned when he heard the door.
He looked at her miserably, "Do you know what it feels like? Do you know what it feels like to be the last to know that you're not loved? Do you know what it feels like to be the that the most beautiful girl in the world may not be yours? You don't know how it feels." he cried, "You don't know how it feels. I loved her." he said before just losing all control of everything he had been fighting back.
His face crumbled and he let the tears fall yet again.