There's Too Much Green To Feel Blue

Cancer

A part of Peter was embarassed, but he was too caught up in his emotions. He was already crying, there was no saving himself at this point. He covered his face and faced the sofa's back again. He felt just as pathetic as ever.
But Sam didn't pass judgement, she never did. She simply closed the door, calmly walked up to the couch, sat in front of Pete's legs and placed a comforting hand on his back.
Peter's sobs and convulsions suddenly stopped. Peter froze. He took a few deep breaths as he marveled at his sudden recovery. He slowly turned and looked at Sam, almost surprised.
"I know it hurts." she said soothingly, she reached over and wiped his tears as they fell, "and I know why it hurts. It hurts because after every loathing look she gave you, after every ugly wors she spat on you, after all the cheating, all the lying and the fact that she never loved you....despite all of that, you still love her and that is what hurts the most. The fact that you would still die for her is the irony in her sick little game and it hurts you."
Peter stared at her incredulously as she cocked her head and brushed his tears off his face. He felt like a child being comforted by his mother. Sam was being nurturing. He sighed and leaned back.
"Sam, this is so hard."
"I know," she murmured, "I know, honey pie."
"I just can't stop loving her, I live and breathe her." he said.
"Mmhhm." Sam said.
"I feel like someone just dropped an anvil on my rib cage. I just want to scream."
"Why not? You want to let all the anger and frustration out." Sam agreed, nodding.
"And then there's Lily." he sighed and put a hand to his forehead, "I love her so much, I just don't know." his voice cracked and more tears poured out. "I just, I just don't know what to do, I don't know, I just don't." Peter cried as he felt sobs begin to build up from his chest.
He turned to face the couch's back again and cried. He cried for a few minutes until Sam placed her hand on his back again.
He turned to her again, "I feel so pathetic right now." he wiped his own tears this time.
"Why?" Sam asked confused.
"Because I shouldn't be crying in front of everybody." Peter sniffed.
"I'm not everybody." Sam said simply.
She was right, of course.
Sam gave him a small smile and placed her fists on his hips, "See, and you said you didn't want to talk. I've hardly said a word."
"I still kind of don't want to talk." Peter admitted.
"Okay." Sam said, wiping one final tear.
"And I kind of want to be alone." Peter said.
Sam moved her hand away and stared at him.
"I'm sorry, I just don't feel ready to talk about it all the way through." Peter explained. He sat up, "It was hard just to tell you what I did." he tired giving her a reassuring smile, "You should be a therapist."
Sam stood, turned her back on him and crossed her arms, "Yeah and you should be more grateful that someone came to see you." she grumbled.
Peter lowered his head and then looked at her back, "I know you didn't mean that." he said softly.
"You're right, I didn't." Sam said turning to face him.
She sat on the floor next to the couch and gripped his hand with both of hers. Peter felt a wave of comfort flood his body.
"All right, just promise me you'll spend the day with Lily."
Sam was the instant apprehension on his face.
"Come on, Peter," Sam patted his hands, "you need it and Lily needs it."
Peter lowered his head.
"She misses you," Sam urged, "And I know you miss her, too."
Peter sighed and placed a hand to his forehead.
"I'll go get her." Sam gave his hand a final pat, got up and left to get Lily.
This was going to be hard for Peter. Sam knew this, but this was crucial. After all, Peter couldn't just go on treating Lily like a stranger. This was going to be tough. But Sam knew, even when she brought Lily to the apartment door, that this was badly needed. Sam opened the door. Peter was sitting up and rubbing his tired eyes.
Oblivious to all the evil of the world, Lily smiled widely and ran to her dad. She so adoringly ran and placed her small arms around her father. It looked like Peter seemed to struggle with his emotions. He was happy and yet broken hearted. Nonteheless, he wrapped his arms around Lily. But he couldn't himself. He lifted Lily up and held her close to his chest. It was one of the most heart wrenching things in the world. Sam really did feel like someone was squeezing her heart from the inside.
Lily pulled away, "Are you feeling better now, daddy?"
"I am now, honey." Peter smiled.
Lily smiled at him, "I miss my room." she ran away.
Sam sat on the floor in front of Peter.
"I never knew how bad I wanted a family until it was taken away from me." Peter said, "I not only the lost the person I love, I lost my whole family, my future."
"Lily is your family." Sam insisted.
"How do you know?" Peter asked.
"You know." Sam said.
Peter sighed and placed his hands on his head like a tortured man.
Sam placed her hand on his knee, "Would you like me to leave?"
"Yes, yes, I just, I just don't want to be with anyone right now." he stretched himself out on the couch, "I just want to lay here and waste away. I don't care about anyone anymore."
. Sam looked at him for a second before she got up and left. She dazedly walked to the elevator and went to her floor. She walked down her hallway but she didn't feel like going into her apartment. She was feeling melancholic. She hated the way Peter had looked and hated the words he was saying. That wasn't Peter at all, that was a monster. She sat outside on the hallway to the left of her door and hugged her knees. She wished she could take Peter's pain away but she just couldn't and it made her feel like a bad friend.
She sighed heavily, stretched out her legs and kept her hands in her lap. She was at a loss of what to do. She had somehow helped him before, but the emotion hadn't been so raw at the time. It had been very hard to see him back to how he was when she first met him. She had gotten used to him being happy and joking around. When he laughed and joked around, she knew she was seeing Peter's true side and she liked his true side. She had a knack for bringing out the best in people and Peter's true side made him glow.
Sam stayed there and pondered the situation for a while. She was so into her thoughts, she didn't hear the ding of the elevator or the footsteps coming up the hall.
"Did you get locked out of your apartment, sweet thing?" William asked as he slithered up the hallway.
He stopped near her, "Or were you hanging out here waiting for me to open my sweet door for you? My door is always open for you, in case you were wondering. That is why you're here, isn't it?"
"Sure." Sam said dully.
William frowned slightly, "What's wrong, babe? Had a tough day?"
Sam sighed, "You don't know the meaning of the word tough, sister." Sam said miserably.
William chuckled, pressed his back against the wall and slowly slid next to her, "Why don't you tell old William all about it?" he said settling in.
Sam turned to him, "Really?" she quizzed.
"Yeah, girl." he whispered.
Sam took a deep breath and told William everything. She told him everything that happened at the hospital, everything that happened in the past three days and everything she witnessed earlier.
"I'm just....a little sad, I guess," Sam finished, "I want to help them, you know?" Sam turned to him.
William stared at her, and then, ever so slowly, leaned in for a kiss. Sam clicked her tongue and pushed him away.
"Why did I tell you everything?" Sam said mad at herself as she attempted to leave.
"No, I'll listen." he said pulling her back, "Hands behind my back." he promised, hiding his hands, "You want to help them?" he asked, "Why? Why don't you just leave them alone?"
"You're just saying that so I'll come running to you to unload again and you'll want to take advantage of my weak state." Sam said.
"Well, it worked right now." William grinned.
"No, it didn't." Sam argued.
"You're right," he agreed, "Wow, it's hot in here." William tried to peel of his blue shirt.
"Don't even try!" Sam said stopping him.
He leaned in and attempted to wrap his arms around her.
Sam immediately backed away and crawled backwards as William fell forward and crawled to her as if sexily stalking his prey. Sam picked herself up using her doorknob and opened the door.
"Aw, come on, babe." William begged from the floor.
Sam crossed her arms and stared down at him. William puckered up his lips. Sam went inside and slammed the door.
"You don't know what you're missing!" William called.
"No, I think you don't know what you're missing." Sam yelled back.
"That's not true!" William said to himself, "I know exactly what I'm missing." he dropped his head to the floor and softly slammed his fist down.
Sam sat on her couch, hugged her knees and thought about everything. Her best friend was in trouble and she felt helpless. There was a very limited number of things she could do. She couldn't take all the pain away but she could sure as hell try. This was absolutely no time to show any weakness when she had a job to do. Yes, she felt a little lost but she wasn't going to give up.
"I'm sassy, I don't give up!" Sam proclaimed to herself. She stood up, "And right now, this sassy girl is going for ice cream and a soda!" she grinned, "Down at the corner store with Mr. Blue Eyes. But first I'm going to celebrate this new found energy by dancing all the way to the ice cream!"
Being the champion she was at dancing, she danced out of her apartment and into the elevator. She danced in the elevator next to a woman who stared at her in surprise. She danced out of the elevator, passed the lobby and went out into the street. People made a passageway as she danced by them. She heard a far off tune from the local record store she spent all her time in. She danced all the way there, as she did she realized the song was "Girlfriend" by Avril Lavigne. Sam danced to the record store, stopped in front of the radio, that was outside on the left corner of the store, blasting the song located near a construction crew working near the sidewalk. Sam picked up one of the play microphone's near the radio, lipsynched and put on a show to the passing crowd. The people passing by gave her curious stares and smiles. Halfway through the song, Sam aimed the mic at her temple and pretended to blow her brains out. She dropped the mic, ran to the construction crew, grabbed a sledgehammer with all her might and brought it crashing down onto the radio. It smashed into pieces and the music came to a halting stop.
Sam dropped the sledgehammer, "You're overrated!" Sam yelled at the destroyed radio, "You only became famous after all the rock people stopped liking you!"
Everyone around her stopped and stared, alarmed. The crew workes stopped their work, the crowd was frozen in shock.
Taking no notice of any of that, "Sam walked to the other radio on the other corner, grabbed a CD from a nearby stack, placed it in and blasted "Pump It" by The Black Eyed Peas. She danced to the store, bought her ice cream and danced all the way back to her place.

--------------------------------------------------------------

The next morning, Peter had moved past his 'lay-around-the-house' stage and moved onto the 'eat-everything-that-makes-you-feel-better' stage. He wanted to die so he might as well speed up the process. He sat on the couch wearing his black pajama shorts, matching gloves cut off at the fingertips, and the bulky green sweater, devouring a big bag of chips. He had let Lily make her own breakfast for the first time. So, naturally, the kitchen floor was covered in milk and cereal. He was so happy to have Lily back, but a pang of pain always hit his chest when he saw her. She was so beautiful.
He reached his hand into the bag as the apartment door opened. He looked up and saw Sam walk in.
"Go away." Peter said throwing a chip at her.
Sam cocked her head and looked at him from the doorway, "You don't want me to leave, you're happy to see me."
Peter never ceased to be astounded by Sam. He was sure this girl could read his mind.
"Yes." he said.
He opened his arms and Sam rushed into them. Peter closed his arms around her tightly as the smell of strawberries engulfed him.
"Sam, I'm so sorry," he said holding her closer, "I didn't mean anything bad that I said yesterday."
"I know you didn't." Sam said resting her chin on his right shoulder, "And I know you're in a weird state right now-what the heck happened to your kitchen?"
"Oh, Lily made herself breakfast." Peter said squeezing her back.
"Wow, you're in worse shape than I thought." Sam said still locked in their ambulance.
"Get off, your squishing my chips." Peter said.
"Well, let me go, teddy bear." Sam pulled away and brushed his cheek with her cheek, "Ooh, you're a fuzzy wuzzy bear." she rubbed his cheek with her hand, "How long has it been?"
"I didn't shave for two days, I shaved yesterday and I didn't shave today, leave me alone." he said returning to his chips.
She giggled and rubbed his cheek again, "A little bit of fuzz makes every boy look cute." she got up and went to the kitchen.
"Robert always has some fuzz." Pete said inserting a chip in his mouth, not looking at her.
"Well, I never said he wasn't attractive, he's just a little... he's like the gay version of Charles Manson." Sam said grabbing a mop.
"Sam, don't say gay unless he's gay." Peter said calmly as he rummaged through his bag of chips.
"You're right, sorry. Look, he's cute, but, I don't know, not my type."
"What if he had money?" Peter asked.
"That doesn't matter to me." Sam said quickly, pausing from mopping.
Still not turning to look at her, Peter raised his eyebrows and put up his hands as if in surrender.
"It looks like a cereal box threw up in here." Sam said.
Peter smiled, "Thanks, Sam."
"Sure, man." she continued to mop up the mess, "For what, Chester Cheetah?"
Peter finally turned and looked at her, "For making me momentarily forget why my chest hurts so much."
"Oh," Sam said, "well, that's what I'm here for, sunshine." she continued to mop up the mess, then paused, "Did you ever noticed that Chester Cheetah only eats Cheetos but he's, like, super skinny?"
Peter grinned at her, "You're right."
"And how come he wears shoes but he doesn't wear clothes?" Sam asked.
Peter chuckled, "That's true."
"But he always keeps it fresh with those stylin' shades." Sam said.
Peter finally laughed.
"Ha, I knew I'd get it out of you." Sam smiled, "Lily, come help me pick up the Cheerios that are drowning in this milk!"
After everything got cleaned up, Sam went and settled on the floor, next to Peter on his left.
"Ready for your first consultation, Mr. Wentz?"
Peter stared at her, "Do I have to?"
"You do if ever want to read your vital signs again."