There's Too Much Green To Feel Blue

The Way I Am

After Sam had kissed two of her fingers and pressed them up against Pete's cheek, and he had shoveled a spoonful of ice cream down his throat, Peter went to go dress Lily up.
"Peter, stop fussing over Lily, she'll be fine." Sam said as she watched from the doorway while Peter made a mess of Lily's whole room searching for clothes.
"No, Sam." Peter said. He was on his knees rummaging through Lily's drawers, "Kids are tricky to dress. She's going to be spending time with her mom for the first time. I have to have her wear something where she'll look nice and something that she won't dirty too much. She can't just wear anything and make it look good, she's not you."
Sam looked down at her clothes, tight fitting jeans, a black spaghetti shirt, converse and a tight black DCMA jacket with brass knuckles, lightning bolt and heart prints all over it.
"You think I look good in this?" Sam asked.
"You always look good." Pete said distractedly.
"Well," Sam said, "yeah."
After five minutes, Pete finally settled on some of the clothes Sam had brought her, a dark green long sleeve, a purple tunic and dark green leggings with little black shoes.
"Now me." Peter said heading to his room.
Sam gasped excitedly, "Can I help you? I'll dress you up in something that will make her regret leaving you." Sam rushed into his room, opened up his closet and began taking everything out.
"Here put these on." Sam threw him a pair of red pants.
"And wear this and this." Sam threw him a black button-up shirt with a red tie, "Wow, you've got nice stuff here." Sam admired all the clothes, "We should trade."
"Nah, I think you're fatter than me." Peter said.
"No way." Sam rushed to him and they both pulled up their shirts to compare stomachs.
As they examined their waists, there was a knock on the door.
"Holy, fudgesicle, she's fast." Sam said quickly smoothing his clothes.
He heard running footsteps, "Lily, don't answer the door!"
Peter rushed to the front door, Sam followed him to hold Lily back. Peter paused, took in a deep breath and opened the door. There was Hash looking perfect , as usual.
"I can't stay," she said immediately, a smile playing on her lips. "I just came for Lily."
She wore jeans and boots again but this time with a white long sleeve, a black vest, and dark sunglasses on her head. She had a different handbag dangling on her arm and an open cell phone in her left hand. She looked like a movie star and she was sure acting like one.
"Hash," Peter said seriously, "I think we need to talk about what's going to happen."
"Peter, we're divorcing, that's it. It's sweet and simple." she said shrugging.
"No, it isn't, Hash, we have a child." Peter said.
"Well, you had her the first four years, I can take it from here."
"No, you can't!" Peter felt a sudden coldness spreading through his stomach, "You can't just take her, you don't know anything about her."
"Sure, I do, she's my daughter." she said ignorantly, "At least that we can be sure of." she smiled an evil smile.
Peter took another deep breath to calm down, "Where are you staying at?"
"With an old boyfriend."Hash answered bluntly.
Peter felt as if Sam had slapped him in the face again, "How'd you get here?" Peter quizzed.
"Taxi." she said quickly.
"Hash," he said in an almost pleading tone, "I really think we should talk about this--"
Hash clicked her tongue and rolled her eyes at him, "You're so annoying."
Peter began to boil over, "You know what's annoying? Caring for someone two fuckin--" Sam covered Lily's ears, "years and having them wake up to be ungrateful."
"If I'm ungrateful it's because I had to put up being married to you." Hash shot back.
Peter quickly glanced back at Sam and Lily, "Look," he said to Hash in a low voice, "I don't want to argue in front of Lils."
Hash raised up her hands half heartedly, "Whatever. Can I have her to go now, please?" she said in a fake sweet voice.
Peter cast her a dark look, "Wait, let me explain this to her."Peter turned and went to Lily and Sam.
Sam released her Lily as Peter kneeled down next to her. "You're going to go with mommy, baby." he said in a soft voice.
"Are you coming too?" Lily asked.
"No," Peter said, "It's just going to be you and mommy. We talked about this remember?"
Lily nodded.
"Okay," Peter stood up, "go now with mommy."
Lily didn't move from her spot, she just stayed staring at Hash.
"Come on, Lily," Hash said patting her knees and holding out her hands.
"Come on, Lily," Peter took her hand and tried to pull her forward.
"No, daddy." Lily let go of Pete's hands and backed away terrified.
"Lily, it's okay, it's mommy." Peter urged.
"No, daddy." she repeated backing up towards Sam.
"What's happening?" Hash asked, "Why isn't she coming?"
"Because she doesn't know you." Peter sighed.
"What do you mean she doesn't know me? I'm her mother!"
"You haven't been there." Peter spoke over her. "Lily, please, baby." he begged.
"Lily," Sam turned Lily around, "don't worry, you'll be back, okay? Remember the promise bracelet I gave you?"
Lily nodded slowly.
"I promise you'll be back in no time." Sam said in a soothing voice. Sam lightly pushed Lily toward Peter.
"Thanks, Sam." Peter muttered as she took Lily's hand.
He led her to the door, then kneeled down to say good bye, "Did Sam teach you daddy's phone number?" he asked as he straightened her clothes, Lily nodded, "You remember it? Call daddy any time..."
While Peter said his good bye, Hash quickly looked Sam up and down as she stood, "Nice jacket, you have to tell me where you bought it." she said sarcastically.
"I was going to tell you the same thing about your chin." Sam shot back.
Hash's hand flew to her chin. She frowned and grabbed Lily's hand, "I'm taking her now." she declared, "For two days." she added.
Peter stood up, "Okay, well, if anything happens or you have a question--"
Hash stepped back and slammed the door shut. Peter turned and heaved a great sigh.
"What a mega bitch." Sam declared, she crossed her arms, "I'm sorry, Peter, but you married a complete skankwad."
Peter bent over and placed his hands on his knees, "Yeah, well, it's too late for that."
"That must've been hard, Peter." Sam said, "Would you like to do something relaxing before we talk about it?"
Still kneeling supporting himself heavily on his knees, Peter looked up at her, "Please."
"What do you want to do?" Sam asked.
"Aroma therapy." he said almost instantly.
"I didn't bring any candles." Sam said.
"I don't care," Peter said, "we can just do the breathing excersises." he grinned, "I don't care."
Ten minutes later, they were sitting on the floor and Peter was in strawberry heaven bliss, when Sam suddenly spoke.
"Hey, Peter, you know how you've been hanging around the house lately?"
"Mmhhm." Peter said breathing in the fresh scent of strawberries.
"Well, I was wondering, what happened to your job?"
Pete's eyes snapped open. He had been so caught up with his emotions and the whole situation, that work had been driven completely from his mind.
"Aw, man, I'm going to get fired!" he quickly got up.
In five minutes, Sam and Pete were seated at the counter. Sam listened as Peter talked to his boss on his cell phone. Peter decided to tell him the truth, word about his wife waking up and the divorce was probably going to get around anyway. His boss told him not to worry but he was expected back to work on Monday. He reported the good news to Sam after he thanked his boss and hung up.
"You're such a weird boy, how do you forget about your job?" Sam asked.
"I know, I know." Peter said. He rubbed his face with both hands, "It's going to be weird not tucking Lily in tonight. I hope Hash has enough sense to buy her some p.j.'s. I wish she would've told me, I would've packed her some clothes."
"Do you want me to bunk with you tonight?" Sam asked.
"What?!" Peter cried.
"You know, to keep you company?" Sam asked.
"No, I'm fine. Besides, if the neighbors see you getting out of the apartment in the morning, they'll think we're sleeping together."
"Imagine that." Sam said tonelessly.
"I would love another movie night." Peter said grinning.
"Oh, no, I'm not going anywhere if it's with that freako clown again." Sam pointed an accusing finger at him.
Peter grinned wider, "You know, my cheek still hurts."
Sam kissed her two fingers again and gently placed them on Peter's left cheek, "Better?"
"It's getting there." Peter smiled and then lowered his eyes, "Sorry that Hash was so rude to you."
"Don't apologize for her," Sam said crossing her arms, "Besides, no one messed with my DCMA jacket when I'm reprezentin'."
"She's just jealous because she just got out of a coma and you have nicer things than her." Peter consoled.
"Ugh, story of my life!" Sam said in a conceited tone.
Peter laughed.
"Was it easier seeing her this time?" Sam asked.
"Yeah," Peter said, "She's turning out to be the type of person I was trying to stay away from."
"You mean a whore? Oh, hell, yeah." Sam nodded.
"Be nice, Sam." Peter scolded.
"Tell her to be nice, she dissed my DCMA jacket! This is a cute, expensive jacket!" Sam said gripping her jacket, "I should take these brass knuckles and stick them up her ass!" she said toying with her favorite brass knuckle necklace.
"She's just jealous." Peter reminded.
"Damn right." Sam fumed.
Peter leaned forward on his elbows, "How about another one?" He tapped his cheek.
"No, Peter, I'm not your slut!" Sam said.
"I'm not paying you!" Peter said, "Do you want me to?"
Sam lightly slapped his cheek while Peter laughed.
"Come on, one more." he tapped his cheek.
"Why?" Sam asked.
"Because it still hurts." Peter said.
"Liar." Sam said, but she kissed her fingers and transferred it anyway.
"Thank you." Peter grinned.
"Now, you have to do something for me." Sam said.
"Okay." Peter closed his eyes and puckered his lips.
"No." Sam laughed and placed her two fingers on his lips.
Peter opened his eyes and bit her fingers.
"Peter!" Sam pulled her hand away, "What was the rule?"
"I'm sorry." Pete took her hand and kissed her fingers.
"If we're going to watch a movie, I get to choose." Sam said.
"Okay." Peter agreed.
"Let's go buy some movies." Sam said standing up.
That night they stayed up watching the movies. Neither of them made it through the third movie. Peter fell asleep faced down on the couch while Sam had fallen asleep on the floor with her back against the couch, her head slumped back on the couch cushion.
Peter suddenly woke up startled. He looked around the room sleepily. He had thought he heard Lily calling for him but he remembered that Hash had her. He looked at the tv, the movie was still playing. He saw Sam's head right next to him. He smiled and gently reached out his hand to stroke Sam's hair. He had never seen her sleeping even after spending half the summer with her. He chuckled, she looked like a little girl. She looked like Lily when she slept. He had the sudden urge to kiss her forehead.
As he leaned forward, Sam stirred. She opened her eyes and looked at her surroundings.
"Aahh!" she stood up alarmed and stared around terrified, "This isn't my place."
Peter sat up, "Sam, you're still with me." he said.
"Oh." Sam said calming down, "sorry, I just saw Ben Affleck on the screen and I freaked out." she frowned at the tv, "Eew, I bought a movie with Ben Affleck? That man was a terrible Daredevil."
"It's late, Sam." Sam said stretching.
"Yeah, I better go." Sam said heading to the door.
"I'll walk you there." Peter said.
"Peter," Sam smiled, "I'm only two stories up."
"Yeah, but, what if Ben Affleck comes out from behind a dark corner and kidnaps you?" Peter asked.
Sam made a face, "Eeww. But don't worry, dad," she smiled, "I'll see you tomorrow."
"It feels so weird not tucking my baby in." Peter said.
"You can tuck me in." Sam smiled.
"Really?" Peter blurted out.
"Nope. Bye, Peter." Sam began to walk out the door.
"Wait!" he ran to her, "I'm sorry." he said as she turned to him, "if I don't do this, I'll regret it." he placed a hand to her right cheek and kissed her forehead, "Sorry, you just looked like Lily when you slept and I didn't kiss her good night today."
"Aw," Sam hugged him tightly, "that's so adorable, you miss her. Don't worry, she misses you, too. Good night." she turned and left.
Saturday and Sunday were spent with Sam trying to keep Peter's mind off his daughter. As usual, Sam did a great job. However, on Sunday, Peter was eagerly anticipating Lily arrival when Hash called and said she wouldn't be able to bring Lily in until the next day. This meant that while Peter was at work, Sam would have to stay in his apartment and wait for Lily because Hash would not have Pete go to where she was. Sam was less than happy about it, but she agreed to stay.
So, then, the next day, Sam dressed in a short white jumpsuit with the sleeves rolled up and an open neck line. A small black vest, jewelery, and to top it all of, cute little black heels. But then she realized that she would be all by herself, and in the end, she carried the heels in her hands and decided to go barefoot. It was a few minutes past midday when there was a knock on the door. Stretched out on the couch, Sam clicked off the tv, sat up and went to the door. She opened the door and Hash stood there with a smug look on her face.
"Where's Peter?" Hash asked frowning at the sight of Sam.
"At work." Sam said coldly, "Where's the kid?"
"Right here." Hash stepped back to reveal Lily.
Lily's face brightened at the sight of Sam. "Sam!" she cried. She ran to her and hugged her legs tightly and looked up at her.
"Hey, girlie, miss me?" Sam asked tussling her hair.
"Alot." Lily grinned.
Sam glanced at Hash and saw the furious look on her face.
"Lily, go to your room, I bet you miss it." Sam said.
Lily obeyed, "Hi, toys!" she said going into her room.
"Nice shoes," Hash said looking at the corner of the couch where Sam had dropped her shoes, "Where did you get them from, Pay Less?"
"These shoes?" Sam pointed at the pair, "Lady, these are Prada."
"Whatever." Hash rolled her eyes, "You can't afford those."
That made Sam smile. For a moment, she considered flaunting her wealth. She hated doing that, but Hash was asking for it. But Sam decided against it, it was way funnier this way. The irony was that the jumpsuit she wore wasn't exactly a clearance item. And the way Hash kept staring at it, Sam suspected that she knew this.
"Like the jumpsuit?" Sam asked with a smile.
Hash didn't answer directly, "Whatever, I'm still prettier."
That made Sam's eyebrows raise in amusement. Hash was starting to feel insecure.
"Way prettier." Hash said turning away and beginning to walk and angry walk.
"You know what's pretty? My Dolce and Gobana sunglasses, princess!" Sam blurted and then bit her lip, "Hmm," Sam slammed the door, "High maintennace whore." she grumbled.
When Peter arrived home that afternoon, Sam explained everything that happened with Hash after he had eaten dinner as they were seated across from each other behind the counter.
"Wow, you went hardcore on her." Peter said.
"Peter, there's certain things that girl's don't mess with : fashion, their children," she counted them off on her fingers, "and the Great Pumpkin."
Pete gave her a confused look.
"Plus, that woman's a terrible mother. Lily came home smelling like cigarettes, I had to bathe her."
"Well, she's just learning." Peter said.
"Don't defend her, Peter, you're the one that said she should be maternal. Instead of being maternal, she turned out to be a Britney." Sam said. She sighed and glanced around the apartment, "Peter," she began.
"Sam," Peter interuppted, "you don't need those designers to look or feel good about yourself, you're perfect."
Caught off guard, Sam blanked out, "What?" she whispered.
"You're beautiful by yourself." Peter said looking into her eyes, "You're way prettier than Hash because you're just...you, you're Sam." he reached over and placed his hand on hers.
Sam grinned, "You're sweet." she gushed.
"You are." Peter said, "Why do you think I want you around all the time?"
"Because I'm Sam!" she cried.
"Well, yeah," Peter took both her hands in his and squeezed them, "that too."