There's Too Much Green To Feel Blue

Conviction

Sam walked out of Peter's apartment two hours later. She silently closed the door behind her back.
"I knew you were sleeping with him." William's said from a dark corner.
Sam turned to her right, "What are you doing here?"
"This floor has the coolest water." William said simply.
He was standing next to the water cooler with a paper cup in his hand.
"You climbed down two stories to get some water?" Sam asked skeptically.
"Please," William said, "I wouldn't climb down two stories for water, I'd take the elevator."
Sam rolled her eyes and he smirked. She took a few steps closer to him. "I like your boxers." she said trying to be smart.
He was wearing a forest green shirt and dark green boxers. Sam realized only too late that she probably said the wrong thing to him.
William grinned, "I'm glad you noticed. Nice skirt, I can see everything."
Annoyed, Sam spoke, "Ok, what is your problem?" she angrily strode right up to him in the dark corner, "Huh, what is your deal?"
"You're sexy, that's my deal." William said.
Despite herself, Sam grinned as she remembered Peter drunk when he said those words.
William's grin grew wider as he saw Sam smile, "So, if you really aren't sleeping with him, what are you doing here?"
Sam sighed, defeated, "He couldn't sleep."
William grinned again, "Right, so you were tucking him in?" he turned to the water cooler, chuckled and shook his head disbelievingly, "I caught you red handed, princess. I just wish you'd tuck me in."
Sam frowned, "You know what, I don't have to prove a thing to you."
She angrily walked toward the elevator. She was about to push the button when William spoke.
"Elevator's broken." he informed.
Sam gave him an annoyed look and walked up the stairs. She didn't notice William staring up her skirt as she angrily climbed up the stairs. He, then, finished his water and took the perfectly working elevator up to his room.
As Sam climbed the stairs, she thought about what had transpired in Peter's living room. He had been giving her such an intense stare, she'd never seen one like it. The atmosphere and vibes that had surrounded them felt warm and cozy, like someone had dipped her in a hot bath. She never once felt that Peter was going to kiss her, but she probably would've been open to it. Sam had to admit that she loved moments like that with Peter and she supposed that he loved them too or else they both wouldn't keep coming back for more. Sam felt as if she had a small balloon inside her chest. She thought back to how Peter had gripped her hands. He hadn't held them tightly but she had felt a certain power emanating from his hands. The only time he had held her hands tightly was when she attemted to leave the first time. He had only allowed her to leave because he had already began to doze off. When she had tried to tell him that it was okay and to sleep, he wouldn't have it.
"No." he had said as he rubbed his tired eyes and quickly placed his hand back on hers, "I want to stay here with you."
"It's fine." Sam had tried to say, "sleep, I'll see you tomorrow."
"No, no, no, I want to be here and talk to you." Peter had insisted.
Sam smiled at the thought as she reached the second flight of stairs. He had been so sleepy but he didn't want to sleep. Sam could feel the warm feelings slipping away, the balloon was deflating. She wished she could run back to Peter and feel his arms around her. She always felt so safe and protected when he held her in his arms, and when he kissed her forehead she felt delicate. What puzzled Sam were all the warm, fuzzy feelings that surrounded them. She tried to think of a song that could describe the feelings. One song came to mind, but she couldn't bring herself to say it.
Maybe "Hey There Delilah" but Sam was always saddened by that song because of the back story, so that couldn't be it. "The Great Escape" by Boys Like Girls, no. "Earthquake" by The Used, no. "Limon Y Sal" by Julieta Venegas, maybe. "I'm Like A Lawyer"...maybe. Oh, "Monito" by Volovan, that one always squeezed her heart. "Whatever You Like" by T.I....Sam chuckled as she stepped onto her floor. T.I. was very hot.
She walked over to her door and sat next to it on the floor. She thought back to when Peter finally let her leave. Peter had walked over to his bedroom door while Sam had walked over to the apartment door. They had both placed their hands on the doorknobs and turned to look at each other. When they made eye contact, Peter blew her a kiss. Sam had smiled, turned and left.
Sam was hoping that Pete was sleeping soundly when she heard clunking sounds and the elevator doors dinged. Sam's mouth dropped open as she realized what had happened.
"The elevator works?!" she cried when William had stepped out.
"Oh," William grinned mischieviously, "yeah." he walked over to her, "Damn, you're fast, you still beat me up here." he showed her a sexy smile, "So, I was thinking on my way up here, which hardly required any walking...."
Sam frowned up at him.
"...if you don't want to tuck me in, how about I tuck you in?"
"No." Sam said sulkily.
"Babe," William said propping his arm up on the wall, "why aren't you into me? I mean, look at me." he gestured to himself, "I should meet all your requirements. So, what's your deal, babe?"
"My deal." Sam crossed her arms, "I'm not into you."
"Why not?" William asked, "You'll like it once you're into me."
"Wouldn't it be the other way around?" Sam asked.
William grinned once again, "Let's find out."
She stared up at him blankly, "You're lacking in one requirement."
"Which one?" William immediately asked.
Sam pretended to zip her lips shut.
William sighed, "That's how it's going to be, babe?"
"Yup." Sam said holding out a hand to him.
William took her hand and helped pull her up. "So," William said when Sam was standing up right, "as we're both awake--"
Sam groaned and stormed into her apartment.

---------------------------------------------------------------

The next morning, Sam awoke and felt as if she were in a dream. She opened her over stuffed closet and put on black skinny jeans, a maroon and yellow striped, v-neck shirt, converse, maroon gloves with the fingertips cut off and a light black sweater. She grabbed two muffins from a bowl in her kitchen and left to Peter's.
She went straight into the apartment and stopped short. Peter had been standin near the entry way. He immediately reached forward and held her close.
"I didn't want you to leave yesterday." he said cupping the back of her head.
"I know, I didn't want to leave either." Sam said. She looked up at him as he pulled away, "Muffin?" she raised up a muffin.
Peter smiled, "You know me so well." he accepted the muffin.
"I hope you went right to sleep when I left." Sam said through chews.
Peter remained silent. He couldn't even think of how he would've gone to sleep after what had happened. He'd layed in bed wishing with all his might that he and Sam were still on that couch. Absolutely nothing had happened between them, perhaps that had been the beauty of the situation. They hadn't kissed, they hadn't taken off their clothes, they hadn't done anything but held each other's hands, leaned against each other and transmit their thoughts. It was the most pleasant feeling in the world. For the first time in his life, Peter felt what it was like to be connected to someone.
"Yeah." Peter said avoiding eye contact, "sure, I did."
"What's the plan for this week, Peter?" Sam asked.
"I think it's time I get real." he said, "I'm getting a divorce. I need to have meetings with Hash, I need to work out some deals, I've really got to do my homework."
"That sounds incredibly grown up....and time consuming." Sam said.
"I gotta do it." he said, "It sucks, but I have to start planning what's going to happen to me and Lily." he sighed, "Hash called."
Sam looked up at him, "What did she want?"
"She's going to take Lily today during my lunch hour so I'll come home for lunch." Peter informed.
"What do you want for lunch?" Sam asked.
Peter gave a shy smile, "I wasn't really planning on eating."
Sam frowned.
"I kind of wanted to talk to Hash." he explained.
"All right," Sam sighed, "well, let me make you a big breakfast, then."
When they finished eating, Peter gave both his girls a kiss on the cheek and left. Sam spent most of the morning playing with Lily. Thirty minutes before the lunch hour, Sam began to pack an Oscar the Grouch tote bag with extra clothes for Lily.
"Sam, why do I have to go?" Lily asked as she watched Sam fold clothes on her bed in her room.
"Because she's your mom." Sam answered as she folded a shirt, "Don't you want to spend time with your mother?"
Lily remained silent for a moment, then, she clutched her teddy bear tight and said, "No."
Sam dropped the piece of clothing she was folding and turned to Lily, "Why?"
"Because," Lily said looking up at her through big brown eyes, "I kind of wanted you to be my mom."
Sam froze, "Oh, snap." she said completely shocked, "Oh, man, what would Bono do?" she asked herself, "Um, okay." she sat on the bed slowly, "Lils," she patted her lap.
Lily dropped her teddy bear and allowed Sam to sit her on her lap.
"As wicked as it would be to be your mom, I'm not your mom, Hash is, and you have to spend time with her."
"But she's no fun." Lily complained.
"Well, of course she's not as amzingly awesome as me," Sam placed a hand on her chest, "but she is your mom, not me."
Lily looked up at her, "Can you be my mommy," she raised up two fingers, "number two?"
Sam thought about it, "Okay." she said, "I don't see any harm in that. But don't call me mom, I'm too young to be even a pretend mom, just Sam."
"Okay." Lily smiled, "Hash get's mad when I call her Hash." she giggled, "It's funny."
"That's my girl," Sam tusseled her hair, "Okay, go get the toys you want."
Lily hopped off Sam's knees and was about to go to her toy chest, when she turned back to Sam, "You'd be a cool mom, Sam."
Sam was touched, "Really?"
Lily turned back and headed to her toy chest, "Mmhhm."
There was a knock on the front door. Sam turned in the direction and frowned.
"Is that Peter? He's early." she got up and walked out of Lily's room. She was halfway through the kitchen, when she suddenly stopped, "Peter doesn't knock." she realized out loud, "This is his place."
She didn't know what to think so, as a precaution, she grabbed a big spoon used to pour stew from the counter and carefully walked to the door. She stopped a few feet from the door, reached out for the knob and quickly pulled it open. She grabbed a spoon with both hands and stood in a stance as the door swung open to reveal Hash.
"Oh." Sam said surprised and slightly relieved, "it's you." she relaxed her stance.
"What are you doing with that spoon?" Hash asked slightly alarmed.
"Oh, I like to greet all my guests with a spoon just in case any of them ever decide to show up with a punch bowl, then I'd be ready to pour them." she raised the spoon.
Hash raised an eyebrow, "You're weird."
"And you're just like all the others." Sam retorted.
Hash didn't know what to say to that. Instead she peered over Sam's shoulder and called Lily, "Lily, come on, let's go!" she cried.
"Lily isn't done packing as of yet." Sam said.
"I'll buy her whatever she forgets," Hash said waving her hand dismissively and craning her neck to get a glimpse of Lily.
"You're buying her everything?" Sam asked, "Well, that's a great way to start your parenting." she said sarcastically.
"Why not?" Hash shrugged, "That's how my parents raised me."
"And you've turned out wonderfully." Sam said giving her a big smile.
Hash frowned and clicked her tongue, "Lily, let's go!"
Lily ran out of her room and stood next to the couch.
"Let's go, honey." Hash beckoned.
"No." Lily said.
Sam sucked in a smile and went toward Lily. She got down on her knees, next to Lily, and placed an arm around her and a hand on her stomach, "Lily, I like your stubborness. It takes real," she raised a fist, "conviction to stick your ideals and that's what strong," she raised her fist again, "women do. But sometimes we have to suck it up and do things we don't want to do and this will make your father happy. Do it for daddy."
Lily stared at her uncertainly.
"Look," Sam whispered in her ear, "just do this, if you feel like you can't take it, just call me or daddy. You know our numbers, right?"
Lily nodded.
"Okay, go get your bag." Sam said.
Lily turned and left to her room.
"So you can make people think what you want." Hash observed, "Big deal, I can, too."
"Really?" Sam asked, "You must be very smart."
"Really?" Hash asked.
"Yeah." Sam half-laughed.
"Yeah, I guess I am." Hash said smiling and marveling at herself.
Sam stood up, "Yeah, listen, smartness, I don't think I should let Lily go without Peter here."
Hash angled her head, cocked and eyebrow, placed her hands on her hips and smirked, "You obviously love him."
Sam took a step closer and placed her hand on her hips, "And you obviously can't accept the fact that you, the fairy tale princess, is getting a divorce. You never thought that it would happen to you and you hide behind this rich, cocky girl disguise. And that's why you come all dressed up and you drag some super model boyfriend over to make everyone think that you're doing well and that you're all right and that you're better than everyone else. How am I doing? Did I get one or two of those right?" Sam crossed her arms.
Hash was looking absolutely horrified and shocked. The atmosphere in the room had suddenly gone deadly. Lily ran in carrying the bag. She stopped as she saw Sam standing there, fists at her sides, a frown on her face and Hash with her mouth open and wide eyes. Lily took a cautious step forward. Hash immediately stepped forward and grabbed Lily's arm.
Lily turned to Sam as Hash angrily dragged her, "Bye, Sam!" she managed to say before Hash pulled her out.
Sam walked to the doorway, leaned against the frame and watched them until they disappeared into the elevator.
"Poor girlie." Sam muttered shaking her head.
She went back inside and took a deep breath. Hoping that Peter wouldn't be upset, Sam pulled out her cell and headed to Lily's room to close the door. As she began to type out a message, she lifted her head to close the door and noticed the small brown shoes sitting neatly on the bed.
"Creepers, her shoes!" Sam cried.
She quickly went in, swiped the extra shoes and ran through the apartment and out the door. Sam tore through the hallway, into the elevator and through the lobby. She ran down the crowded streets dodging people, kids, business men, vendors and people dressed as mascots. She ran crazily down every street her long legs would carry her. Finally, she spotted them walking down the sidewalk next to the park.
Hash was pulling on Lily's arm to walk faster. She had been lagging behind her.
"Come on, Lily," she urged, tugging her harm, "Lily, hurry up, baby." Hash gave her a final tug, "Lily, come on!"
Frustrated, Lily stopped walking and pulled her arm away. Lily's hand slipped from Hash's grasp.
Hash spun around angrily, "Lily, what is wrong with you?" she cried, "Are you mad?" Hash's tone softened, "Is it because that girl told mommy off?" Hash got down on her knees, "Don't be upset," she leaned forward and began to wrap her arms around her.
"No." Lily stepped back.
"Lily, it's okay to hug me." Hash urged, "I'm your mommy--"
"No." Lily said.
Hash frowned, "Lily, I'm your mommy--"
"No!" Lily cried.
"Lily--" Hash attempted to hug her again.
"No!" Lily yelled, "No, no, no, no!" she squirmed away from Hash's arms.
Sam ran up to them just then, "Lily, you forgot your--"
Lily turned, ran to Sam and desperately hugged her legs. Caught off guard, Sam kneeled down, embraced Lily, looked at Hash and then looked back down at Lily completely freaked.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Through some sort of miracle from God, Brendon had one day off. He was ecstatic. He was riding in the back of a taxi on his way to a restaurant to pick up some lunch. He planned to live it up for this one day. He was on his cell phone talking to a fellow male nurse that he planned to meet up with later. He couldn't have been happier.
"Dude, I am so psyched about today." Brendon spoke into the phone, "All I'm going to do today is eat, sleep and catch up with some tv. I'm paying for cable I don't even use!" he laughed, "Yeah, today is going to be an easy day." he glanced out the window and saw two ladies confronting each other up ahead on the sidewalk, "Yo, I think I'm about to see two ladies fight."
As the taxi passed, Brendon caught a glimpse of curly hair and a little girl, "Aaahh!" he screamed and dropped his phone as realization hit him, "Stop, stop right here, sir!" he called to the driver. He climbed out of the car as it slowed. He looked back in the direction, and, sure enough, there was Sam with Lily clutching her legs. The other girl had his back to him, but he knew that red-brown hair.
Brendon climbed back into the taxi, sat and picked up his phone, "Terrific," he muttered as he immediately dialed Peter, "Sit tight, sir." Brendon told the cabbie as the line rang, "we might be awhile."
The curly haired driver sat back, "Whatever, man, I'm still getting paid, right?"
"Peter," Brendon said when he answered, "you better get to the park."
"I can't, man," Peter answered, "I have to meet Sam and Hash."
"Well, that's the thing." Brendon said turning back to check on the girls, "I'm looking at them right here."
Peter groaned, "Aw, great, what happened?"
"I don't know, I was driving by and I saw them confronting each other." Brendon answered.
"Find out what happened and make sure they don't move." Peter instructed, "I'll be right there."
Brendon hung up. He sighed and turned to the curly haired cabbie, "Sir--
"Joe." the cabbie corrected.
"Joe, could you please keep the car running? If anything happens, I might need a quick get away."
"I don't think those girls are gonna fight."Joe said.
"No, I meant a quick get away for me." Brendon said, "Those girls might kill me....especially, the little one," he pointed at Lily.
He hesitated or a few seconds and then climbed out of the car and walked towards the girls.
Lily was the first to see him,"Brendon!" she cried and skipped to him.
Once again, Sam was blown away by Brendon's appearance. He wore the same leather jacket, tight jeans, shirt and shoes that were all black.
"Well," Hash looked him up and down, "you're looking good."
"Oh, shut up, he's gay." Sam snapped.
"What?!" Brendon cried.
"Okay, I really have no time for this." Hash said, "So I'll just take Lily and go!" she seized Lily's arm.
"No! NNNOOO!" Lily screamed like a banshee and threw herself on the ground.
Lily's screeches gathered curious stares from the passing strangers.
"Okay, Lily," Hash tried to soothe, "people are staring." she glanced at the passing people.
"Lily, come on." Brendon leaned down to look at her.
Lily stopped screaming, got up and leaped into Brendon's arms. Brendon caught her and carried her up. "Girls, what is going on? You're upsetting Lily."
"No, she's upsetting Lily!" Sam pointed at Hash.
"Me?" Hash cried, "First, you tell me off and now you're blaming me? It's not your fault!"
"It is your fault for everything that this little girl," Sam pointed at Lily, "and her father have gone through!" Sam yelled, "They would've died for you!"
Yet again, Hash was silenced by Sam's words. The atmosphere got tense agian. Sensing the tension, Lily buried her head in Brendon's shoulder just as a sleek black car pulled up next to the curb and an alarmed Peter climbed out.
"What's happening?" he asked.