There's Too Much Green To Feel Blue

Everything Sucks When You're Gone

"Peter," Hash said angrily, "this is my daughter." she pointed at Lily who was staring at her dad, "not her's." she pointed at Sam.
"Unlike you, I'm not pretending to be something I'm not." Sam shot.
Peter went over to Brendon, who transferred Lily into Peter's arms. Lily instantly locked her arms around his neck.
"Hash, what is this about?" Pete asked turning to face her.
"She's my daughter." Hash said, "Why is it that when I hold her she cries, when I grab her she says no, when I hug her she runs away...why doesn't she call me mommy?"
Peter stared at Hash. It was hard to say what Peter was feeling. He had a hard expression on his face, it seemed as if he was deliberating what to say.
"You weren't there," Peter said, "You don't know how it feels." he paused, "And don't ever snap at Sam again."
Now, Hash was bashed by Peter's words.
"I still want to take Lily." Hash said when she found her voice.
"That's up to Lily." Peter said. He lowered Lily onto the ground and lowered himself to his knees to face her, "Lily, do you want to go with Hash."
"No." Lily said quickly.
As much as he hated to have Lily away, Peter knew that she needed to spend time with her mom.
"Lily, I know you don't want to, but she is your mom." Peter tried to reason.
"No." Lily repeated.
"Honey," he grabbed her hand, "how about you go with her for me? Just go with her and stay as long as you can. When you can't take it anymore, daddy will come and get you."
Sam got on her knees next to Peter, "Remember that giant teddy bear in that store window that you wanted? If you stay as long as you can, when you get home, it'll be waiting for you in your room."
"Pinky swear?" Lily asked holding out her right pinky.
"Pinky swear." Pete and Sam said in unison as they held out their pinkies.
Lily wrapped her pinky around Pete's and then Sam's.
"Do I have to call her mommy?" Lily asked.
"Not until you're ready." Peter answered, slightly smiling.
Lily opened her arms wide and hugged both Sam and Pete. They both patted Lily's back. She let them go, turned and walked toward Hash.
"You call me whenever you want." Peter called after her, "and you," he pointed at Hash, "don't keep her too long."
Peter and Sam rose to their feet. Peter subcounsciously grabbed Sam's hand as they stood.
"Be careful, Lily," Peter said watching her, "Hash, look out for her."
Hash bent down and relieved Lily of her bag. She glanced up and saw Peter placing a hand on Sam's cheek and say something. Sam looked directly into Peter's eyes, said a few words and nodded. Peter leaned forward and kissed Sam's forehead. For reasons unknown to her, Hash's eyes began to tear up.
Brendon approached Pete and saluted him while Sam dashed to him and embraced him. All three turned and headed to her left and Brendon to her right. She interlaced her arms in theirs.
"Let's do lunch." she said, "My treat."
"Yeah!" Peter and Brendon cheered.
"Woops, wait, I gotta pay my cab!" Brendon said and ran back to the cab.
Having lunch with Brendon and Peter was very special to Sam because that was the last time she saw either of them. Peter began to go to work earlier in order to put in more hours. On his spare time, Peter would make alot of phone calls to different experts and financial advisors. He was getting advice from lawyers and different people to make sure his assets were in order for the impending divorce. Since Hash had decided to take Lily for the entire week, Sam had absolutely nothing to do. Despite her good nature, Sam was depressed. She hadn't talked or seen anyone in half a week. She spent her time sitting on the couch, watching tv and eating powdered doughnuts. To get out of her funk, she decided to go shopping. She was in a small boutique looking at clothes when she realized she had no one to shop for. She immediately went back home.
When she walked into the lobby, she saw Robert barely holding up a big brown package. His knees seemed ready to buckle. Sam rushed to him and easily plucked the package from his arms.
"Robbie, what are you doing?" Sam asked.
"I have to take this package up to Mr. Beckett." Robert answered.
Sam snorted, "Mr. Beckett." she repeated laughing, "I'll take this up to Mr. Beckett."
"Thanks, Sam," Robert said as Sam climbed up the lobby steps.
"I love you." he said as Sam disappeared inside the elevator.
Sam walked with the package to William's door and carefully knocked. The door opened and William smiled at Sam.
"I brought your package up." Sam said as a greeting.
William sucked in his lips and his cheek twitched. He seemed to have some sort of inner struggle. Finally, he just blushed and grinned, "It comes up every time I see you."
"Ha, ha, ha, like I didn't see that one coming." Sam said. She deposited the package on the floor and turned to leave.
"How's your man, babe?" William asked.
William caught the flicker of sadness that crossed Sam's face as she turned, "Baby, baby," William pulled her by the arm, "what's wrong? Speak to me."
"Well, I've," Sam looked at him, "I've been a little lonely."
William's eye twitched and he seemed to struggle with in himself again.
William smiled, "Baby, if you want and if you're that bored, you can spend some time with me."
Despite herself, Sam smiled as William slid his hand to hers.
"Really?" she asked.
"Yes, ma'am." William grinned.
"Okay." Sam said, "But nothing sexual, William, okay? I mean it." she entered his apartment.
"Nothing sexual." he said, ".....until the time is right."
William held her to two small stuffed chairs placed in front of a window. Sam sat on the left one and looked around the apartment. William's apartment wasn't a complete mess like Sam thought it would be, but it wasn't totally clean either. There were a few stray food wrappers and dirty plates littered around his living room.
"So," William said as he sat, "when do we get down and dirty?"
Sam crossed her legs and rested her head on her hand, "You're really not that appealing when you're flirting, William."
"Maybe." William puckered her lips, You know what, baby? I want you so badly, but I hardly know you. Tell me about yourself, what's your favorite fruit?"
"Strawberries." Sam answered.
"Really?" William raised an eyebrow.
"Yes, cherries come second. I love cherries."
"Me too....and I'm not talking about the fruit." William laughed.
"I'm leaving." Sam declared getting ready to stand.
"No, no, I'll behave." William said, "What's something you love to eat?"
"Cheese." Sam answered.
"Wow, that is so adorable." William gushed.
"What's your favorite physical activity?" William smirked.
"Dancing." Sam said.
"Oh, yeah?" William leaned back in his chair, "You ever go clubbing?"
"I used to go all the time before I got involved with Peter." Sam said. "How about you?"
"Yeah, I'd go clubbing from time to time." William said.
"You danced?" Sam asked giggling.
William snorted, "I didn't go to dance, I went to drink and pick up girls."
"When was the last time you did that?" Sam asked.
William fell silent and glared at Sam.
He sighed and leaned forward to rest his elbows on his knees. "Princess, let me tell you something," he wrung his his hands together, "I haven't had sex since the day you moved in. I told myself I'd have you and then move on. But I haven't had you and I swore to myself that I wouldn't indulge until I've had you and your fine body. But it's been torture! I am going crazy." he reached forward and grabbed her hanrd, "I need you, Sammy. Release me, release me from my evil prison. Set me free."
"Eww." Sam cringed her nose, "Don't call me Sammy." she placed her hands on her knees, "I'm hungry, what are you going to order for me to eat?"
"Oh." William said slightly taken back, "Um, you want some pizza." he got up and looked for his phone.
"Oh, yes." Sam said closing her eyes, "When I'm with Peter I can't eat any meat because he's a vegetarian."
"Really?" William asked grabbing the phone, "So, why'd he break up with you? No, wait, he couldn't break up with you. Why did you break up with Wentz?"
"We're not together, William." Sam said as William sat down.
"Well, sure, not anymore." William said.
""He's just got alot on his plate at the moment." Sam said.
"You're beautiful, baby." William smiled.
Sam rolled her eyes and leaned back in her seat, "Just order me my pizza with alot of meat."
The corner of William's mouth twitched, "You want to see alot of meat?" he blushed.
"William, seriously, like, for reals, why do you hit on me?" Sam asked.
"Because I want you, angel." William reached forward and grabbed her hand, "Be my babe."
Sam pulled her hand back again, "Get me food or I'll get cranky."
After the pizza arrived, William tried not to watch Sam savor the food. After that, they spent a nice afternoon just talking, William was able to hold back his flirty comments.
"William," Sam said as she chewed her pizza, "did you know that we are a YouTube sensation?"
"What, girl, you're crazy." William said.
Within minutes, William was watching their video through wide eyes.
"Oh, my gosh." William said disbelievingly, "I can honestly say that is the weirdest thing I've done when I was drunk."
"What, you've never woken up with a hit on YouTube?" Sam asked jokingly.
"Not a legal one." he said before he smiled.
"You're gross." Sam said.
"And you're all I ever wanted." William said, "Can I have your number, princess?"
Sam sighed and thought of Peter. She really missed him, although she wouldn't admit it out loud. She began to question what she was doing here with William.
"Fine." Sam said giving in.
"Yes!" William cheered, "I should've asked a long time ago." He reached for his phone.
"How many girls' phone numbers do you have in there?" Sam asked, eyeing his phone.
"Actually, I haven't asked for a number in a looong time." William said, "I usually don't need to, but, like I said, you're special."
They spent the rest of the afternoon talking and getting to know each other. Sam was careful to leave before it got dark. The rest of her days she spent on her couch texting with William, who never left her alone. She was hesistant to go back to William's place for fear that she succumb to unspeakable acts. These lonely days spent on her couch made Sam's thoughts come to life, including one in particular that she had been trying to silence since she became friends with Peter. The truth was, Sam and William were more alike than she liked to admit. William was a rich, spoiled brat, Sam wasn't far from that. But she would be damned if anyone found out about her lavish life she had left behind. She hated that life, she never wanted to be a part of the self centered, upper class and that's why she ran to start a normal life filled with simple pleasures. She was devastatingly embarassed about where she came from, she knew people would treat her differently. But she would never let anyone find out, especially Peter.
After a week and a half, Sam fell into a depression so bad, she had begun wearing her purple blanket again. She felt like Kanye West in the "Love Lockdown" video, except african warriors and women in neon paint weren't attacking her from her walls. She stopped texting William and everyone else and just spent the days watching her seasons of Lost and sappy love movies.
She was currently seated in the middle of the couch, draped in her blanket with her eyes glued to the screen. She was watching 'A Walk To Remember'.
"I hate myself for watching this movie." Sam said out loud, "And I hate myself for liking it and I hate myself even more for crying."
She didn't want to admit it, but she couldn't tear her eyes from Shane West.
"Damn you, Shane West!" she yelled as someone knocked on the door.
"If you've never fallen in love with a girl with lukemia or played a doctor on ER, then, go away." Sam said miserably.
The door opened and the last person she expected to appear walked in. Peter took one step in and stopped short.
"Uh-oh, the sad blanket. What's wrong, Sam?" he asked.
Sam clicked the tv off and pullled the blanket closer around her, "I'm sad because, well," she lowered her head, "you've been so busy with Hash, Lily, your job and your finances, I'm starting to feel like you don't need me anymore."
Peter's expression turned soft, "Sam, I know I've been busy and, trust me, I didn't want to be far from you. But I really needed to get things out of the way. I'm going through a divorce and I have to prepare for it. I'm sorry, it's just, I worry about where I'm going to be when the divorce gets through. But I'm really sorry and it's never going to happen again. This week was torture." he paused, "You mean alot to me."
Sam looked at him and sighed.
Peter slowly grinned, "Now, can I tell you the good news?"
Sam gave him a curious look.
"I got a promotion!" he cried.
Sam gasped, "No way!"
"Yes!" he dashed to her, "Take that sad blanket off!" he pulled it off her and revealed a small red and black plaid skirt and a tight red shirt. He pulled her off the couch and hugged her.
"So, tell me, what happened?" Sam asked when they pulled away.
"Since I've been working extra hours and I've been working really hard, my boss said I was doing great and he offered me a promotion and a raise!" he said holding both of Sam's hands, "I've got the same hours and I'm doing, like, some office work and I get more money." Peter sighed, "Things are finally turning my way."
"I'm proud of you, Peter." Sam said embracing him again.
"And I'm sorry, I swear it. I really didn't mean to leave you all alone."
"I know you didn't, you have to deal with your own things, I understand that." Sam said.
"But, still, I never should have let it get in the way of you and me, I mean, you know..our, our friendship." Peter suddenly began to stutter.
Sam smiled and hugged him again.
"But, anyways, I came to you to celebrate."
"How?" Sam asked.
"I don't know, you're the one that always has the party following her." Pete said, "What were you doing when I came?"
"Watching the fight." Sam lied.
"Right." Peter said, "There's tissues on their couch."
"I get very emotional if my guy doesn't win." Sam said.
"Who's your guy?" Pete asked.
Sam stared at him, "Shane West." she said.
He smiled, "So, what are we going to do?"
"Do you want to go to my kitchen counter and stuff six crackers in our mouths and then try to whistle?"
"Okay, and then afterwards we're going to dinner." Pete said.
"Okay." Sam agreed.

---------------------------------------------------------

One day, they were at Sam's apartment. Peter was sitting behind the counter making phone calls, Sam was standing in front of him, Lily was at her grandma's.
"Come on, Peter," Sam begged "I'm bored. Let's go buy something deep fried and covered in grease."
Peter stared at her while he waited on the line.
"Please?" Sam pleaded, "I will slice open my stomach and spill my guts onto the counter."
Peter tapped his pen onto his notepad and stared at her.
Sam leaned forward on the counter, "I will leave you for T.I., he'll give me whatever I like."
Peter continued to stare.
"I will leave you for Travic Maccoy and I'll make him pancakes." Sam threatened, "I will like Lil' Wayne like a lollipop if you don't hang up that freakin' phone."
Peter just stared. He then frowned, pulled the phone away and stared at it.
"What?" Sam asked.
"I'm getting a call from an unknown number." he said. He answered it, "Hello?" his frown deepened.
"Who is it, Billie Jean?" Sam asked.
"Hash." Peter mouthed.
"Ooh, my best fried," Sam said, "tell her I still have the clothes she lent me when we went clubbing that night to pick up guys."
Peter quietly waved her away as he tried not to laugh, "Yeah," he said to Hash, "Yeah-well, I'm kind of at Sam's.....Yeah, well, I--" he sighed and hung up the phone.
"What happened?" Sam asked.
"I don't know, she hung up on me." Peter said, "But I know her, I'll soon find out."
Within ten minutes, there was a knock on Sam's door. Sam had been threatening Peter that she was going to leave him for Adam Lazzara. She opened the door and stopped short.
"Peter," she called, "either I've opened up the door that releases all evil, or Hash is at my house."
Peter immediately hung up and ran to the doorway, "Hash?" he asked confused.
Hash kept her eyes on Sam, "You know, you're very rude. I wish I were your mother so I could punish you."
Sam raised an eyebrow, "If you were my mother, I'd punish myself!"
Peter doubled over and laughed hard. Hash frowned at him.
"Don't let her talk to me like that, say something, I'm your wife." Hash scolded.
Peter clutched his stomach and laughed even more.
"It wasn't that funny." Hash glared at Sam.
"And, yet, here he is." Sam motioned to Pete, "Don't be upset...mom."
Peter laughed all over again, "Stop it," he wheezed, "stop it, I'm going to pee!"
Sam giggled.
Hash looked down at him, "You're disgusting."
"Yo ass is disgusting." Sam said.
Peter straightened up and wiped tears from his face, "What are you doing here anyway, Hash?"
"I don't kno, I was bored and you're always bitching about how you want to talk." Hash paused, "And I wanted to see Lily."
"Lily's at her grandmother's." Peter said.
Hash clicked her tongue, "These are the kind of things you should be telling me--"
"I would if you gave me your phone number." Pete defended, "But for some reason, you just won't give it--"
"Because then you'd bother me all the time--"
"Well, this was fun." Sam said. She turned to Peter, "Um, I'm leaving," she pointed a finger from each hand to the door, "my" she frowned and cocked her head, "my own apartment, actually. You owe me something deep fried."
Peter reached into his pocket and handed her a wad of bills.
"Cool." she said and turned to leave.
"Wait," Peter said, "give me a hug before you leave."
Peter wrapped his arms around her and kissed the side of her head. "Be careful." he whispered audibly to her.
Sam turned to Hash, "Well, I'd love to stay but, well, frankly, I just don't like you." she went to the door, "I'll bring you back an ice cream, Peter." Sam called as she left out the door.