There's Too Much Green To Feel Blue

Noise And Kisses

The next morning, Peter awoke at five a.m.. He layed in bed for a while and reflected. He hadn't been able to sleep the entire night. His mind and body had been kept awake by blissful feelings and thoughts of strawberries. He had no idea what had happened yesterday and he had no idea what would happen today. But whatever had happened, it felt right. He just remembered the feel of Sam clinging to him like he was her life force and he was sent into heavenly thoughts and giant waves of hapiness. All he could really remember were the feel of Sam's lips.
He turned on his left side and hugged a pillow. He wished he could have her next to him right now just so that he could hold her. He absolutely loathed seeing Sam leave the apartment. He had kissed her for most of the day so when she left, he didn't feel like he was completely there. He felt that a part of him had left with Sam. He had almost followed her out the door but he managed to contain himself. Now all he could think about was seeing her again and holding her close. He prayed with all of his life that what happened wasn't a sweet dream but a sweet reality. A reality that was sweet and tart, like strawberries.
That's it. Peter couldn't just stay in bed fantasizing. It was really early but he knew he wouldn't be getting any sleep. He slid out of bed, showered, put on a neon blue shirt and a pair of jeans. Then he took off to his mother's house, he knew she'd be awake. Naturally, Lily was asleep so he had to carry her carefully to the car. His mom had inquired why he had such high spirits and he told her that he had finally opened his eyes. He went home and put Lily to bed. Then he stood by his door and waited. He knew it was way too early, it was 6:10, but he needed to wait. He just had the feeling that she would come now.
Sure enough, at 6:12, the door creaked open and she walked in. Peter's smile was instant and so were the rush of feelings in his chest. She didn't seem at all surprised to see him standing next to the door's entrance. She wore skinny blue jeans, a white shirt that read 'I Love David Desroisiers', a rainbow and black striped jacket and she was barefoot. She smiled at him, placed a hand to her mouth and silently giggled, almost bashfully. She walked in. Peter shut the door, pulled Sam into his arms and gave her the kiss he'd been wanting to give her all night. Well, almost. He had to pull away sooner than he would've wanted. He placed a finger to his mouth, "Lily's asleep." he whispered.
Sam nodded silently. Then a grin spread across her face and she slid her arms around his neck. Pete's grin matched hers. He slipped his arms around her little waist and lifted her up. Sam giggled as Peter spun her around. He backed up toward the couch and they fell into it, Sam on her back and Peter on top of her.
"So," he said, "Who's David?"
Sam giggled and Peter kissed her again, longer this time. It felt like he was kissing her for the first time. He pulled away and looked at her.
A thought nagged at him, "What are you doing here so early?"
"I couldn't really sleep." Sam grinned.
Peter smiled. He sat up and Sam followed him. He placed an arm around her and pulled her closer to himself. He used his free right hand to play with one of her curls.
"Lily's asleep, we can't make any noise. We can't with the kid in the house."
"I understand," Sam whispered back, "and I agree."
"But," Peter smiled, "she is asleep right now..."
He leaned forward and kissed her quickly. Then he kissed her again and left his lips there. They lost themselves in each other's lips once more. After a while, Sam pulled away and giggled almost uncontrollably.
"What?" Peter asked, afraid that his kissing skills weren't as great as he thought they were.
"We're supposed to stay quiet, right?" she asked.
Peter nodded and Sam giggled harder, "I will take off my pants if you don't make a noise."
"A noise?" Peter asked in a high pitch.
Sam giggled harder. He quickly cleared his throat, "A noise?" he repeated.
"Like a moan." Sam blushed.
Peter glanced at her jean clad legs. He'd be a complete idiot if he said he'd never looked at her legs. But this time was different. He could touch them if he liked.
"Okay." he agreed.
They smooched again and Peter couldn't help himself. The strawberries were just overwhelming. He tried hard to concentrate on his silence but with the smacking of lips, the brush of breath and the feel of her folded knee in his hand, he made a noise in his throat.
Sam stopped kissing and laughed, "You lose." she murmured.
"Really?" Peter asked, "How come I don't feel like I did?" he placed a hand on her cheek and kissed her quickly, "Sam." he whispered.
She leaned in and pressed her lips to his.
Peter had to excercise his self control to keep throwing himself on her and exploring her body with his hands. So he channeled all that energy into his mouth.
Sam suddenly pulled away, "Peter, did you just french me?"
"Yes." his answer came quickly and high-pitched again.
Sam stared at him.
"Was it good?" Peter asked worriedly.
That sent Sam into another wave of giggles. She threw her arms around his neck and threw herself against him.
She kissed him quickly, "You're so adorable!" she laughed, "It was the best." she hugged him tightly.
At exactly 7:31, Peter heard a small yawn and a small body sliding out of bed. They both immediately pulled away from each other.
"Act normal." Peter whispered as the door creaked open.
Lily ran and stopped in the kitchen, "Daddy." she said. She ran to him and jumped in his lap, "Sam." she said slightly surprised, "You're early."
"Yeah." Sam said, "I came to ask if you wanted pancakes."
"Yes! Yes!" Lily cried.
"Okay, then, I'll start." Sam said getting up.
"I'll help you." Peter said, "Go wash up, Lily."
Lily slid out of his lap and Peter stood up. The rest of the day went by like this. Actually, the next few days went on like this. Sam and Peter would indulge themselves when Lily wasn't around and restrain themselves when she was. But Sam wouldn't make it easy for him. Sam, being the tease she was, would pucker her lips and make kissing noises when Lily was around. Peter would give her mean looks but she would just moisten her lips, or chew her bottom lip.
"Temptress." Peter once hissed at her.
They did everything together because they longed for each other's company. But he always made sure that Lily was unsuspectful. The most he would allow them to do in front of Lily was hold hands. That was just fine since Lily was four and thought that everybody held hands.
Peter noticed significant changes in himself over these past days. His tongue had developed a mind of it's own. Whenever Sam asked him a question, the words would hardly be out of her mouth when Peter would give an immediate and truthful answer. He didn't care what the question was, he would quickly answer it. Sam would always laugh. He also noticed that most of his thoughts contained Sam. What could he buy Sam, when could he see her, what would she say about this, what could she be thinking, what would he tell her, how long would she be here.....she was always in his mind. He also realized that everything Sam did was worth watching. Whether she was flipping the channels or playing with Lily or messing up her own hair, Peter never missed a minute. And sometimes, when he couldn't take it, he would sneak Sam away for a few minutes and devour her. Sam didn't seem to mind how rough he was sometimes, he was only rough out of desperation.
Two days later, it was one of those moments. It was four in the afternoon. Lily had declared boredom and went to her room to play. Peter had instructed her to stay in her room and not come out until he told her to. He and Sam were on the couch in the same position been in the very first day they had discovered each other's lips. Pete was a bit worried that Lily would disobey him and find him in a compromising positon. After all, he was on top of Sam and it very well looked like he was attempting to suck out her soul, but he was pretty positive Lily wouldn't come out of her room. Lately, after a few minutes, their breaths would shorten and their hands would begin to explore, just how it was happening now.
Without a warning, Sam pulled away and stared at him. Peter wondered if he had done anything wrong when he saw the look of uncertainty on her face.
"Peter," Sam began and then dropped her voice to a whisper, "are we going to have sex?"
Peter propped himself up, as if he was about to do a push up, and stared at Sam. He had been thinking about that since he first tasted her lips. Not seriously thinking about it, it was more like wishful thinking.
"Do you want to? Peter asked slowly and uncertainly.
"Well," Sam glanced down at the floor and then back at him, "yeah."
Peter nearly fell of the couch.
"I'm always up for a roll in the sack." Sam said, "But I'm not sure if we should."
Peter looked at her questioningly.
"Well, technically you're still married." Sam explained.
"So? Hash is married to me and she's with Mike."
"But I'm not a ho'." Sam said, "I've never done it with a married man."
"Me neither." Peter grinned.
They giggled, they had been doing alot of that lately. Sam placed her hands on his shoulders and squeezed them, "Have you told Lily about us yet?"
Peter sighed, "We can't tell her, she won't understand."
"Lily?" Sam snorted, "Please, this is Lily we're talking about. She's way smarted than you think."
"When am I supposed to tell her?" Peter asked.
Sam began to sit up, "Right now."
"What?!" Peter asked.
Sam pushed him into a sitting position. She smiled at him. Peter was never going to get over how good she always looked. Today she wore a yellow tube top, a tight green jacket, tight jeans and small yellow flats.
"Ready?" Sam asked.
"No." Peter said.
"Lily!" Sam cried.
Peter instinctively grabbed Sam's hand as Lily's door opened and she bounded into the room. She stood in front of them.
"Did you call me?" Lily asked in a tone so innocent it made Peter freeze up. He stared at Lily and then looked at Sam.
"Go on." she said patting his shoulder.
"Well," Peter began, he sat forward in his seat, "Lily, Sam and I..." he paused.
He wasn't exactly sure what to say. What was he supposed to say? Hey, Lily, me and Sam have been making out?
"What I mean to say is that me and Sam....honey, daddy's been--" he put his left hand to his face and turned to Sam.
She nodded encouragingly.
He turned back to Lily, "Honey--"
"Daddy, did you kiss Sam?" Lily asked.
Peter stared at her. Again, he turned to Sam and then turned back to Lily, "Yes." he said slightly taken back, "daddy kissed Sam."
Lily shifted her eyes to Sam. Sam nodded. Lily placed a hand to her mouth and giggled.
"Okay, baby, go back to your room." Peter said almost miserably.
Lily happily ran to her room.
Sam scooted closer to Pete and folded her legs underneath her, "See, that wasn't so hard."
"That was crazy. My baby's growing up." Peter said.
"I love the way she phrased it," Sam said interlocking her arm into Peter's, "That was perfect. We kissed, it's very fitting. I'm glad you didn't say that we were dating or something."
"What?" Peter turned to her.
"Well," Sam said, "technically we're not dating, we're not anything. You never asked me out."
"You know, you're right." Peter said turning in his seat toward her and gripping both of her hands, "Sam, you're really weird--"
Sam grinned.
"--but darn cute. You want to be my girl?"
"But, Peter, I told you, I'm a man." Sam said.
Peter felt a coldness suddenly hit and spread through his body, "What?" he asked stunned.
Sam laughed, "I'm playing, I'm a girl. I'm your girl." Sam smiled and Peter melted, "Yes." she said.
They embraced and Peter caught her lips with his. It was probably their best kiss yet. They pulled away and Pete held her hand.
Sam squealed excitedly, "I'm dating a married man!"
The rest of the day went by happily. Sam and Peter must've broken a world record because they didn't let go of each other's hands at all. While they made dinner, they held each other as if they were slow dancing and moved around the kitchen in that fashion.
"Boyfriend." Sam kept teasing him in a whisper.
When she did, Peter had the incredible urge to kiss her. But despite their new declaration, they continued to restrain themselves in front of Lily. Especially when they made dinner. While they held each other in the kitchen, Lily was playing and watching tv. They had a rather funny dinner that night. Lily kept giggling and Sam kept giving Peter funny looks. Peter was trying not to laugh. But then Lily asked, "Daddy, did you kiss Sam or did Sam kiss you?"
Sam threw him another look and Peter covered his face and laughed.
After dinner Sam went straight home but only to change into her p.j.'s. Sam had decided, since they were now officially dating, she would spend her first night at his place. Peter changed into a white undershirt and baggy black pants. He was taking Lily a bath when Sam came back. He dried Lily off and sent her room where Sam dressed her. Then Lily stayed in her room to play while Sam and Peter snuggled in the couch. He had thought Sam looked amazing earlier but now, in a white shirt with thick white straps and a short white skirt, she looked delicious.
"So," he pulled her up against him, "about our earlier conversation..."
Sam laughed, "We can't just do it, Peter, I want our first time to be spontaneous."
"What's not spontaneous about right now?" Peter asked.
Sam giggled.
"No, you're right. Lily's in the house, we have to have boundaries." Peter said.
His testosterone may have been taking over but he never forgot that Lily was around and he had to be responsible.
"You're right." Sam said, "Besides, I want our first time to be....natural."
Peter wasn't sure what he meant by that. "Sam, can I ask you something?"
"Yes." Sam giggled.
"Can I bite you?" Peter asked trying to hide his eagerness.
Sam hesitated, "Just a small one."
Peter grabbed her shoulders, leaned in and bit the side of her neck. Sam's reaction was instant. She dug her nails into him, she closed her eyes and her breathing accelerated.
"Stop or I'll lose it." she breathed.
Peter grinned against her ear, "Sorry, sweetie." He acted as if he was about to kiss her and then gave her a quick bite.
"Peter!" she scolded.
"Sorry." he said.
She leaned in to kiss him. When his lips touched hers, she lightly bit his bottom lip.
"Wow." he said as he tried to calm the tingling in his body.
"Exactly." Sam said, point proven.
They turned as they heard Lily call from her room.
Peter stood up, "Let's go read her a story and then get to bed."
They read Lily a story for thirty minutes, watched a few late night shows and then headed to Pete's room. Of course, they didn't sleep. They layed on their sides facing each other, their lips glued together. Peter had his hand on her back. They had already been there for a while and their breathing was shortening. He was prepared to turn himself entirely over to Sam. She said they weren't going to sleep together yet here she was wearing a short skirt. She was making this easy and hard.
Suddenly, a small scream, hurried footsteps and the slamming of a door interrupted their heavy breathing. Peter quickly pulled away and sat up as his bedroom door was thrown open.
"Daddy!" Lily jumped and turned on the light, "There's a wolfman in my closet!"
Sam let out a loud laugh.
"A wolfman?" Peter asked puzzled.
"What happened to the Boogey Man?" Sam asked, "I guess the economy is hurting everybody."
"Lily, there is no Wolf Man in your closet." Peter said.
"Yuh-huh." Lily nodded insistently.
Sam giggled as Peter got up, "Let's go check." he held out a hand to Lily and they walked to Lily's room. They returned shortly, "See? No Wolf Man."
Lily jumped onto the bed and climbed on, "Can I sleep with you?"
"Yes." Sam patted the spot next to her.
Peter sighed heavily in the doorway.
Lily turned to Sam and layed out on her right side, "Was there a monster in your closet, too?"
"There so was." Sam said.
Feeling slightly put out, Peter flicked off the light and returned to bed. Lily snuggled in between Sam and Pete. Peter placed a hand on Lily's belly as she closed her eyes. He looked at Sam and gave her an 'oh well' look. Sam smiled at him and placed a hand on Lily's stomach too. Pete interlocked his hand with Sam's. They looked at each other, gave each other a smooch and stared at each other until they fell asleep.

-----------------------------------------------------------

The next morning, Sam woke up and went to her apartment to shower and dress. She had had a most disturbing dream. She thought about it while she showered, she always did her best thinking there. The dream had scared and saddened her. She began to review everything about Peter, their current relationship and her feelings toward him. She knew she had to talk to him. She dressed in a pretty, tight blue dress with thick straps and a small matching sweater and flats.
Peter met Sam at the door when she returned. He had changed into a purple shirt and jeans.
"Guess what?" he said, "My mom picked Lily up while you were gone."
He instantly began to kiss her. Sam kissed him back for a second and, for the first time, gently pushed him away.
"Peter," she said. She stepped past him and sat on the couch, "We need to talk."
Her serious tone made Peter apprehensive. He slowly walked toward her and sat next to her. Sam placed a hand on his to relax him.
"Peter, I know that we have feelings for each other, but, what if this doesn't work out?" Sam said carefully, "I don't want to lose our friendship."
"Oh," Peter said slightly relieved. He had feared worse, "Okay, I get that. But why wouldn't it work?"
"I don't know." Sam said, "Something could happen. And it's not going to be easy. I mean, you're married, you have a daughter and you're going through a divorce."
"But you're the one that's keeping me going through all of this." Peter said gripping her hand, "I don't know what I would've done you. I want to be with you. It won't be hard. You've put up with the worst already and I won't be returning to that state of mind."
Sam smiled meekly, "You really think it will work? What if we fight and we don't speak to each other anymore?"
Peter shook his head, "That won't happen."
Sam lowered her head, "I just don't know if you're right."
Peter stood up, "Let's go for a walk, that always makes us think better."
Hand in hand, they left the apartment, went into the elevator, they exited the building and walked out of the apartment. Despite the situation, Peter smiled. It felt like this was his debut into the world with Sam as his girl. Sam must've been feeling the same thing because she bowed her head to fight the smile that threatened to take over. As usual, there were stares directed toward Sam, no surprise, but this time it didn't bother him because he was the one holding Sam's hand and not the men that were staring. Peter had never felt closer to Sam. He loved this feeling. It was like he was finally a winner in this world. He wondered if people were asking themselves how a guy like him was able to get a girl like Sam. Truth be told, he was asking himself the same thing. He guessed he was just a nobody that got lucky.
They walked in silence and enjoyed the feeling of walking down a runway. Sam never really noticed the stares, but Peter was welcoming them now. He looked around at the glowing sun, the colorful buildings. He enjoyed the feeling of Sam's hand in his and he enjoyed the feel of Sam's arm swinging with his.
"This feels right." Peter said.
Sam finally grinned. She tightened her hold on him and they smiled and giggled at each other shyly. Sam knew deep inside that Peter was right.