There's Too Much Green To Feel Blue

Emergency

Sam stood in the hallway outside of Lily's hospital room. She had her phone in her hand. She took a deep breath and dialed Peter's cell number.
He answered her in two rings, "Hello?"
"Peter, it's Sam." Sam said.
"Sam!" he exclaimed and then dropped his voice to a whisper, "Sam, you know I can't get personal calls. Why didn't you text me?"
"Peter, I'm a the hospital." Sam said.
"WHAT!" he said loudly before dropping his voice to a whisper again, "What are you doing there?"
"It's Lily." Sam said.
There was a sharp intake of breath on Peter's end.
"She's fine." Sam said quickly, "It was an allergic reaction, but she's doing okay now."
"I'm on my way." Peter said instantly.
"Whoa, slow down, Speed Racer." Sam said, "I'm going to go get you. The last thing we need is two people in the hospital."
"With you driving there'll be three people in the hospital." Peter said.
"Shut up." Sam said, "Sit tight, I'll be right there."
"You're going to leave Lily by herself?" Peter asked completely horrified.
"Brendon will be here." Sam assured. She hung up.
Brendon came out of Lily's room with a clipboard in his left hand.
"She is doing great." he said flipping through a few papers, "We'll need to keep her a while longer, but, other than that, everything is perfect." he looked up at her, "Did you tell Peter?"
"Yes, he freaked, as predicted." Sam said.
Brendon rolled his eyes.
"I know." Sam said, "Anyways, I'm going to go pick him up." she placed a hand on his shoulder, "Will you stay with Lily?"
"I won't leave her side." Brendon said. "But stay here real quick, I gotta go put this away." he raised up the clipboard. He began to walk away.
Halfway through the hallway, he turned, "Hey, Sam?"
Sam looked up at him.
"You look wonderfully feminine today." he said with a smile.
Sam glanced down at her outfit : a midnight blue dress, similar to her lilac dress except this dress had stars all over it, a gray hand-knitted sweater, her gray tote bag and small blue ballerina shoes.
"Thanks." Sam said, "So do you."
Brendon frowned curiously.
Sam took a taxi to the police department. Ironically it was the same taxi driver that had once driven her and William. She promised the curly haired man double if he took her a top speed. Knowing Peter he'd be biting his fingers off....
On a usual day, Peter didn't mind his boss and his peculiar behavior. Peter never actually say him do any work. He always walked about the office snapping his fingers and singing songs from the 50's out loud. He always pushed people to do a good job and to smile. He was like the male version of Ellen DeGeneres, except deranged. On some days, his boss even brought a few instruments and played them. Unfortunately for him, today was one of those days. Vaughn was leaning on an empty front desk, his sleeves rolled up and a saxophone in his hands. Peter had his chair turned away from him facing the wall. He was so worried sick, all he wanted to do was see his daughter and make sure he was all right. He just wasn't in the mood for idiocies. He was very irritated so he didn't hear when the door opened and Sam walked in.
Sam entered the building. She walked in between two empty front desks. A man with a saxophone was leaning with his back to her on the left one.
"This is a song I wrote." Vaughn said snapping his fingers and tapping his feet, "I hope you like it. I wrote it after I threw up three nights ago."
Sam walked up and stopped next to him, "Excuse me--"
But she was cut off as Vaughn began to play the saxophone. Sam waited respectfully for a few seconds before he paused.
"Hi, I'm--" Sam began but was once again cut off as he continued playing.
Slightly annoyed, Sam waited again. When he paused again, Sam opened her mouth, "I--" But again he played the blasted thing.
Getting angry, Sam spotted a fruit basket on the next desk. She grabbed a banana. She kept her eyes on Vaughn, who was happily playing, as she peeled the banana.
Vaughn paused again and took a breath. Sam waited until he pressed his lips to the instrument. He took a deep breath....and Sam dropped the banana into the saxophone's opening. Vaughn blew and the sound that came out sounded like the air escaping from a balloon.
Vaughn finally looked up at her, "Well, he looked her up and down, "hello. How can I help you?"
Every man in the building turned and stared. Peter remained facing the wall grumbling to himself.
Sam smiled, "I'm here to get my boyfriend."
"To leave?" Vaugh asked.
"Yes," Sam said sweetly, "For the rest of the day."
"Ma'am, why would I let you do that? He can't just leave." Vaughn responded, grinning.
Sam grinned back at him, "Do you know who my parents are?"
"No." Vaughn smiled.
Sam leaned in and whispered in his ear. Vaughn eyes widened.
"Okay, okay, he can go, he can go." Vaughn stammered, "Hell, he can take the whole week off if he wants!"
Sam smiled happily at him, "That won't be necessary, he'll be back tomorrow." she turned to the man a few desks away, "Peter!" she called.
Every man in the building turned to stare incredulously at Peter. Peter turned in his seat at the sound of his name. He saw Sam and he jumped up and bounded to her. The other men watched.
"Sir, I'm so sorry but I have to go. My daughter--" Peter spoke quickly.
"Yes, yes, that's fine, Peter. Go ahead, have fun with your girlfriend." Vaughn said nodding vigorously.
"Let me grab my phone, Sam." Peter said. He quickly jogged to his desk, grabbed the phone and swiftly rounded the desk.
"Hey, Wentz," the man across from him called from his desk, "That's your girl? Nice." he nodded.
Peter opened his mouth to retaliate but Sam called him again. Peter quickly joined her.
"I'll be back tomorrow." Peter assured his boss.
"Take your time." Vaughn said.
"Thank you." Sam said pushing Peter before her.
"You have a nice day, honey." Vaughn said.
"Eat plenty of fruits." Sam grinned before she followed Peter out.
Vaughn glanced down at his instrument.
Sam and Peter quickly loaded Pete's car in the parking lot and sped off.
"I can't believe this happened while I wasn't there." Peter scolded himself while Sam drove, "I'm a bad parent."
"You're not a bad parent, you're just a lunatic." Sam said.
"How could I let this happen?" he cried miserably burying his head in his hands.
"Peter, you had absolutely no control over the situation. Stop beating yourself up." Sam said.
"But this was my daughter!" Peter cried lifting his head up, "Aahh!"
"Cool it, Mr. Golden Globe." Sam said. She kept her left hand on the wheel while she hooked up her Ipod with her right hand, "You need to listen to some bachata or something." Sam scrolled down her Ipod.
Peter rested his elbow on the arm rest and placed his chin on his hand, "I don't get it, Sam. Why do all these things happen to me?"
"You're lucky, at least you have things going for you. My life wasn't this interesting before I met you." Sam said.
Peter groaned and slumped back in his seat, "I feel anything but lucky right now."
Sam responded by changing the song to "She's Gonna Break Soon".
When they arrived, Peter hurled himself through the hallways and noisily burst into Lily's room. She was sitting up in bed, watching tv on top of the covers and snacking on a small jello container. She was almost the exact same image as Sam when she had been in the hospital.
"Dad!" she cried throwing her hands up.
Peter quickly rushed to her side and lowered himself to his knees. He gripped her hand, "How are you?"
"With my jello, I'm super happy." Lily said, "It's aliiivvveee!" she cried.
Peter stood up straight as Brendon walked over from his seat on the other side.
"Mushrooms?!" Peter cried.
"Now, Pete, she's fine." Brendon said, "I gave her some anti-biotics and she can leave soon. Just keep her away from mushrooms."
"Mushrooms?!" Peter cried again.
"Peter, we get it, she's allergic to mushrooms!" Sam scolded.
"Mushrooms!" Peter cried.
"Peter, what do you want me to do? Do you want me to change what she's allergic to, so instead of mushrooms, it's meat?" Brendon asked.
"Well," Peter thought about it, "yes. Yes, I do!"
"Peter, will you mellow out?" Sam said.
Peter whirled around to face her, "I can't, Sam! Why does every girl in my life end up in a hospital bed?"
"Peter, you need a drink of water." Sam said through gritted teeth.
She placed her bag on the end of Lily's bed and pulled Peter out to the hallway.
"Peter, will you stop stressing out about this? You're blowing this all way out of proportion!" Sam scolded.
"I can't." Peter said, "God, this never would've happened if mushrooms hadn't been brought into the house!"
"Are you saying that this is my fault?" Sam cried out shocked, "Well, forgive me for trying to give you more selections for dinner! I'm sorry I can't make dinner for you like Hash did."
Peter felt an immediate slap of pain across his chest.
He stepped closer to her and pulled her in his arms, "Look, I'm sorry, I didn't mean it." he said staring into her hurt eyes, "I...I was just scared, okay? The only other time I'd seen Lily in a hospital was when she was born. I got scared. I know you didn't give her the mushroom on purpose. I'm sorry." he placed his hand on her cheek.
"Me too." Sam murmured, "I didn't mean what I said either."
"I--" Peter began but he felt his chest constrict.
Sam looked up at him expectantly. Peter leaned down and gave her a soft kiss. Quickly remembering that Sam didn't like kissing in public, he pulled away after a few seconds.
"Peter?"
Peter turned and saw Brendon at the doorway.
"Let me catch you up to speed." he said.
"Sure." Pete said. He turned to Sam, "Would you mind keeping Lily company?"
"Sure." Sam said. She gave him a look before she stepped into the room.
Brendon raised an eyebrow and then looked at Peter, "What, uh," he grinned, "what's going on?"
Peter smiled.
"Are you guys going out?" Brendon asked.
Peter grinned and nodded.
"No way!" Brendon cried, "That's way rad!"
"Yeah." Peter agreed.
"Have you guys--not that it's any of my business--" Brendon stammered and blushed.
"Yes." Peter answered.
"And how was it?" Brendon asked.
"I'd never had anything like it." Peter said truthfully.
Sam sat inside the room next to Lily listening to the guys gossip.
She rolled her eyes, "I tell you, Lily, boys are just like girls, they just don't want you to know."
Brendon and Peter walked in a few minutes later.
"What were you talking about?" Sam asked innocently.
"Medical stuff." Brendon answered.
"You two should be ashamed of yourselves!" Lily pointed at them.
"Really? Sounds scary to a simple minded girl like me." she turned to Peter and gave him a look.
He blushed.
Sam turned to her next victim, Brendon, "Lily, why don't you show Brendon that game you play with Mike?"
"Okay." Lily said.
Brendon sat on his chair. Lily leaned forward, so did Brendon. Lily raised her hand in front of her face, Brendon did the same. Lily quickly slammed Brendon's hand into his face. Lily smiled as Brendon recovered.
"Get me another jello." Lily said rasing up her empty container.
Brendon blinked at her.
"Please?" Lily added.
"I would do it." Peter advised.
"Wow, Lily, you're awesome." Sam said.
"Well," Lily said, "I do what I can."
Sam laughed and Peter grinned.
"Ya'll are crazy, you're awesome." Brendon said getting up and going towards the door.
"I'm bored." Lily complained.
"I'll buy you something from the gift shop." Sam said standing up.
Sam went to the gift shop, bought a coloring book and crayons and quickly went back to the room. Brendon was making his way up the hallway ahead of her.
"Brendon! Yo, wait up!" Sam called as Brendon reached Lily's door.
Sam reached him and pinched his cheek, "You look so cute in those color scrubs." She gestured to his purple scrubs and white long sleeve.
"Not cute enough, apparentlt." Brendon muttered.
"What?" Sam asked.
"I didn't say anything." he grinned, "So, you and Pete, huh? How is he in bed?"
"Hey, Brendon, if the lead singers of Fall Out Boy and Panic At the Disco switched singers, would you be able to tell the difference?" Sam asked distractedly.
"Who?" Brendon asked confused.
Sam turned right around and went into the room.
In a few hours, Peter was walking to the hospital parking lot, Sam holding his left hand and Lily his right hand.
"Sam, can I tell you a secret?" Peter asked.
"Why not? You're already telling everyone everything else." Sam said referring to Brendon and Pete's conversation.
Peter grinned, "I never liked Hash's cooking."
Sam smiled and slid an arm around him, "You sure know how to charm a girl."
Peter kissed her head.
After a long day, Sam headed up to her place late at night. She was unsurprised when William slithered out of his door.
"Dear me, princess." he said shaking his head, "I don't get it. How could you be with him and not with me? What could you possibly see in him? He's, like, three inches tall!"
Sam smiled mischieviously, "You know what they say about short men."
William gasped excitedly, "Is it true?"
Sam teasingly placed a finger to her mouth.
"Aw, no!" William cried out frustratedly as Sam slipped into her apartment.

----------------------------------------------------------

The next day, at the hospital, around one p.m., Brendon stood scribbling on his clipboard near the front desk, with his back facing the glass doors. He was so absorbed, he didn't hear as the front glass doors were roughly thrown open. He didn't hear the click of fast paced heels and he didn't see the people around him scurry away.
"Where is she?!" came a wild angry cry from behind him.
Brendon curiously turned around--and screamed like a girl. It was Hash, teeth gritted and body quivering in anger. Mike stood behind her distractedly eyeing the lobby.
A few streets away, Sam was at Pete's place with Lily. They were playing statues. They both had one foot on the floor and one leg held up in the form of a triangle. They had their arms held out to keep themselves steady. Sam was perfectly still while Lily was wobbling.
"You can't beat me, Lily." Sam said.
"Yes, I can." Lily said shaking.
"I'm a perfect equilibrium of peace and steadiness." Sam said.
"Equi--brium." Lily said.
Sam's phone suddenly rang out.
"Oh, figs." Sam said, "We're still playing." she plucked her phone from her dress pocket.
"Hello?" she answered swaying on her leg.
A loud, crazed voice answered her, talking a mile a minute.
"Whoa, calm down, pony boy, what is it?" Sam asked. She paused listening, "Uhu...mmm....Mike?....Hash?....about Lily.....crap......well, I'm sorry....they're--they're on their way here?!" she gasped, "Holy, super-awesome-happy-wow-time!" she looked at Lily.
The door suddenly burst open. Hash stood there breathing like an angry bull.
Lily screamed at the top of her lungs, "Toy box of emotion!" she yelled while she ran to her room.
Hash pointed a deadly finger at Sam, "You're dead." she swore.
Mike suddenly arrived breathless behind her. He immediately seized her arms and pulled them back behind her.
"Sam, run!" he cried.
"Sam, what's going on?" Brendon asked on the phone.
"I'm running like hell." she answered while she turned and ran toward's Lily's room.
"I'll call Peter!" Brendon cried.
"Call animal control!" Sam cried before she hung up.
She ran into Lily's room, closed the door and leaned back against it.
Then she suddenly remembered, "Lily! Your room doesn't have a lock!"
"No!" Lily said from her closet.
"I'm calling daddy." Sam said dialing.