There's Too Much Green To Feel Blue

You're Not Making This Easy

So it was set. Sam was to leave on Saturday. She couldn't stand to be home and start packing, so it was on this day, Thursday, she decided to go out. She dressed in a thin, white spaghetti straped dress, a light tan sweater and small white flats and headed out.
William was sitting on a small padded couch reading a magazine in the lobby when Sam walked by. He quickly threw the magazine aside and stood up.
"Sam, where are you going?"
"Out." Sam said curling her arm around her brown Coach tote bag.
"Do you want company?" he asked gently.
She smiled meekly, "I kind of want to be alone."
"All right." William nodded, "Call me or text me if you need anything."
She smiled gratefully and was on her way. When she was on the sidewalk, Sam extracted her Ipod from her bag and listened to "Pocketfull of Sunshine" by Natasha Bedingfield as she walked.
Peter, wearing jeans, a black shirt and a brown jacket, came down the stais and into the lobby, "Did Sam pass by through here?"
"What's it to you?" William asked stiffly as he rifled through the magazine on the couch.
Peter sighed, "Not you, too." He turned and left the building.
"What's up, William, what happened?" Robert asked from his little office.
"That bum broke Sam's heart." William said.
"What?" Robert asked almost angrily, "He's dead."
"Don't worry." William said turning a page, "If we don't kill him, Sam will."
Peter couldn't stand to be away from Sam. Maybe he had taken her company for granted. Whatever the case, he just wanted to be with her. So he decided that he would follow her all day and try to befriend her. He spotted her just a few feet away, walking along. She had her Ipod on and Peter was thankful for that. She would be totally absorbed in the music and not even notice that he was following her. He felt a little odd stalking her and he wondered if this made him a bad person. He didn't think so, he just really wanted to see her. Trying not to freak himself out, he followed his beauty at a distance. He never really paid attention to where he was going, he just focused on Sam. The thin dress she wore hugged her body perfectly, she looked fabulous.
After about an hour, they were still walking and Peter was beginning to get tired. It wasn't because he was out of shape. He had spent the last two years working non-stop and being chronically tired so all this walking only weakened him all the more. Unfortunately for him, Sam loved to walk. A car in the street suddenly honked loudly. Peter turned to look in alarm. When he turned back, Sam was gone.
"Crap." he muttered and quickly ran around and searched for her.
He turned to his left and thought he saw her slip into a building. He ran to the front of the building, stopped and looked up at it. It was a church.
Sam was seated in the middle of the left column of wooden seats. Sam was leaning forward in her seat and her hands were placed together in prayer. There was maybe three other people in the church. Sam heard as the church doors open,quick footsteps scurried inside and she heard someone slip into the seat behind her.
"Sam." she heard that familiar voice whisper, "What are you doing here?"
"I'm trying to honor my god." Sam answered, giving him a quick glance.
"Let's talk." Peter said pulling himself forward in his seat.
"Kind of a bad time, I'm trying to have a conversation with God here." Sam said.
Peter paused, "I followed you here. You wore me out, don't you ever get tired of walking?"
"No." Sam said without turning around, "But I understand that you would. You get tired of alot of things these days."
Peter took a deep breath, "That hurts, Sam."
Sam spun around in her seat, "Well, I'm sorry. Ugh, I love how I'm the one that's broken-hearted and I'm apologizing to you. Isn't that just poetic justice?"
"Sam, you look beautiful." Peter said unexpectedly.
"Please stop trying to get in my pants, we're in God's house." Sam said as she turned back around.
Peter leaned forward even more in his seat and hardened his hands on Sam's seat, "Sam, I miss you and I can't stop thinking about you. Please, can we talk?"
"Oh, gosh." Sam muttered before she spun to face him again, "What are you even doing here? Aren't you supposed to be at work?"
"My boss said I looked stressed. He knows about the divorce, he gave me the week off last Friday."
"Whoop-dee-doodle-doo." Sam said emotionlessly.
"I was going to surprise you with that." Peter said.
Sam sighed sadly, "Peter, why are you here?"
"I just wanted to be with you." he said honestly, "Sam, isn't there anything I can say to get you back?"
Sam raised an eyebrow at him.
"Besides that," he said, "I'm not ready to say that, Sam. I need more time."
"But, Peter, I don't have anymore time." Sam said.
"Sam, I just don't want to lose you." Peter said.
"Peter, I'm leaving." Sam said.
"I'll follow you wherever you go." Peter said quickly.
"No, I mean, I'm moving." Sam said.
Peter's eyes widened slightly and he took a sharp breath, "Where?" he asked.
"Back home." Sam answered.
"Why?" he asked in a sad voice.
"I have a friend I need to help." Sam said, "Bye, Peter." she grabbed her bag, stood up and began to walk to the doors.
Peter quickly followed her, "Sam?"
Sam stopped in front of the doors.
"Isn't there any way I can stop you?" he asked.
She stared at him, "You're not ready to stop me." she pushed open the doors.
Peter, of course, followed her outside. He ran ahead of her and turned to face her. He placed his hands on her waist.
Although it hurt her, Sam allowed it.
He looked her in her eyes, "Sam, I, I--" his voice trailed off and he glanced at the ground. Then he looked into her eyes, "I really, really, really like you."
To his utter surprise, Sam grinned up at him and slid her arms around his neck and embraced him. She giggled lightly into his ear.
"Oh, my God," Peter said non-believingly, "did it work?"
"I'm only hugging you because the pastor is walking by." she said through gritted teeth into his ear.
She hugged him for a few seconds longer as she watched the pastor walk by. Peter didn't want to let her go. For a few glorious seconds, she was his again. When she began to pull away, Peter held onto her right hand. She didn't try to pull it away.
"Sam, please." he begged, "Let's talk."
"I'm leaving now." she said, "Don't follow me."
She pulled her hand away and began to walk.
"You know I will." Peter said and he began to walk too.
Slightly annoyed, Sam walked at a face pace and put on her Ipod to distract herself. She listened to "Vuelvo" by Beto Cuevas and glanced over her shoulder every few seconds. He was always there. Why was he making this so hard? She just wanted to make a quick escape, get over him and move on. But every time she turned, he was there. He was going to follow her forever. She almost started running. But it didn't matter because he was still there. She almost felt like crying out of desperation. Forming a quick plan in her head, she slowed down.
Pete sped up, reached out and caught her hand as she slowed. To his surprise, Sam turned right around, threw her arms around him and planted her lips on his. It happened so fast, Pete was almost caught off guard. Just as he began to kiss her back, she pulled away.
She wanted him badly but as soon as she was sure that he was distracted enough, she pulled back and ran away. She ran to a place she knew no one would find her.

------------------------------------------------------------

Peter wondered around the city after he lost Sam. He had alot to think about now. He wasn't sure why but he refused to believe that Sam was leaving town. She wouldn't just leave, would she? Sam was a wonderful human being, so it was possible that she would leave for a friend in need. But he guessed that he couldn't face it, just like he couldn't face the fact that Sam wanted nothing to do with him.
At long last, as the sun was beginning to set, Peter walked into the building. William was still in the lobby, standing around and talking to Robert. As soon as Peter walked in, both men stopped chatting and gave him evil looks.
"Wentz," Robert spoke and Peter flinched. He had never called him just Wentz before, "do you know where Sam is?"
A couple descended from the stairs and walked into the lobby. They caught sight of Pete, narrowed their eyes at him, turned their noses up snobbishly and excited the building. Peter glanced at them exasperated. Did the entire world hate him?
"No." Peter answered.
Robert threw a bundle of keys at him. Peter caught it in his fist.
"You better go to the roof." Robert said.
"But, why?" Peter asked confused.
"Just go to the roof, Wentz." William said gruffly. He turned to Robert, "God, Sam should just leave him, he's dumber than a prom queen."
"She is leaving me, she's moving away." Peter said.
"What?" Both men gasped and their faces softened.
Peter turned around, went up the short steps and took the elevator to the highest floor. Peter stepped out of the elevator and surveyed the hallway. He had never been here before. At the end of the ball was a white door. He walked toward the door, placed the right key inside and opened it up. The first thing he saw was the pink sky produced by the setting sun. He stepped onto the snow white roof covered in gravel. It was a weird scene. The white of the roof contrasted with the color of the sky. It was like he was caught in a weird magical spot that was unharmed by the earth or time. This place felt magical. It was the sky that was making the scene whimsical. The sky looked almost split in two colors. The pink sky was splotted with orange and blue clouds. He stared at the sky transfixed. He turned to his right. To his complete horror, he saw Sam standing on the ledge. Fear hit him like ice water in his veins.
"Sam, no, don't do it!" Peter cried and ran to her as fast as he could.
"Don't do what?" Sam asked as she sat on the floor and swung her legs over the side of the building, letting them hand mid-air.
Peter stopped short and breathed a sigh of relief. He walked slowly toward her and stuffed the keys in his pocket, "You scared me."
"Well, I'm not too happy to see your face either." Sam said.
He gave a small smile as he stepped next to her and slowly sat to her left, "What are you doing here?"
Sam clicked her tongue, "What are you doing here?"
"Robert told me to come up here." Pete said.
"That little boy has a big mouth." she muttered to herself.
She never turned to look at him. She kept her eyes straight ahead on the setting sun. They both glowed a pink color as the sun reflected upon them.
"Sam, what are you thinking?" Peter asked curiously.
She rolled her eyes and clicked her tongue again, "I'm thinking that I want you to leave."
"I'm thinking," Peter said, "if you were serious about moving away."
Sam lowered her head and looked at the street below her, "My friend needs me." she nodded.
"I need you." Peter said.
She didn't say anything.
He placed his hand on hers and held it tight, "You kissed me today. Kiss me again."
Sam pulled her hand away, "That kiss hurt me."
"Speaking of hurt, I think your gang of friends are ready to jump me. The entire building hates me!" Peter said.
She finally turned to look at him, "Look, Peter, I don't know what you're trying to do, but I can't keep talking to you. I need my space to heal."
"Sam, I can't stay away from you." Peter said with emotion, "And I really meant what I said today."
"That you really, really like me?" she said with a small smile as she stared down the street again, "Well, thanks, I guess."
Not able to resist, Pete leaned forward and gave her a quick kiss on the cheek.
Sam sighed, "Yeah, I'm gonna go." she quickly got up and walked away.
Peter quickly followed her, "Why are you leaving?" Peter asked.
"Because I don't want to be near you." Sam said stopping and turning to him.
"Sam, tell me one thing, why is it that of all the people in the world, you chose me? I'm nobody." Peter asked.
"Look, Peter, I've been with alot of men." she said as she took a few steps toward him, "and none of them were half the man or lover that you are."
Peter grabbed her left hand, placed his right hand on her cheek and leaned his forehead against hers.
"Bye." Sam said. She pulled away and left the roof.
Peter sighed heavily and looked up at the sky. It was then he noticed a giant worn out sign towering over him. This building used to have a billboard on it, he guessed it was the remains. It only had two letters, it said 'No'. Somehow the sign made him feel worse. He should probably stop chasing Sam and start facing the fact that he might lose her. He stared at the sign again.
Sam headed to her apartment. It was too early to sleep but she needed the comfort of her sad blanket. As she walked up to her door, she jumped as William's door was thrown open and he came running out.
"Sam, is it true that you're moving?" he asked.
"Yes." Sam said, "I told Gabe yes."
"What?" he cried, "But we haven't slept together yet!"
"William, I would love to finish this conversation on an occasion when I don't want to bash my head in with a fat hammer."
"You're still upset?" he asked instantly concerned. He placed his hands on her arms, "Are you okay? Do you want me to kick his ass?
Sam gave a small smile, "No." she said, "Mike asked me the same thing."
"Uhu, that reminds me." Willim suddenly scooped her into his arms and gave her a long kiss.
Though he did it so often, she was still never prepared.
"You owe me for kissing Mike. He bragged about it to me." William said after he pulled away, "In fact, we should do it again to make Wentz pay."
"No," Sam said with a slight smile, "I just want to be alone with my thoughts. But I will keep it in mind."
"Are you sure you don't want company?" William asked.
Sam nodded.
"Sam?" William asked, " 'If you want my money and you think I'm sexy, come on, sugar, let me know.' " he sang.
Sam finally laughed and embraced him.
"I thought you'd like that one." William said hugging her back. His voice suddenly turned serious, "When are you leaving, Sam?"
"Saturday." Sam spoke into his chest.
"That's in two days!" William exclaimed.
"We'll talk about this later." Sam said letting him go, "I want to be alone."
"I'll be here if you need anything in the world." William said.
That night, Peter had dreams of that tall sign at the top of the roof. He wasn't sure why it was haunting his dreams. The astronomical letters wouldn't leave his unconscious mind. He awoke early and extremely fatigued. He sat up in bed and tried to understand why the sign was haunting him. If he had learned anything Sam had taught him it was that every piece of a dream was relevant, especially if consistent. He thought back to the last thought he had in his head before he saw the sign. He had wondered if he should let Sam go.
"No." Peter murmured.
Sam had awoken that morning with a plan. Sam had partly grown up in Chicago, she used to spend alot of time here. When she moved to Mexico with Gabe, her parents had sold their house and moved up state. When Sam had come back, she found a therapy class that helped her with her angry feelings toward her lifestlye. It was not an ordinary class. They met every Friday morning but they didn't have to go unless they had a problem. This class helped her realize that she wanted to help people. Since alot of single parents went to that class, she decided to take up baby-sitting. It was a very odd class, but it suited her. She wouldn't have felt comfortable in an up-tight class. She hadn't had a problem in a long time but now that she did, she could think of no better place to be. Besides, she missed her therapy buddies. She dressed and took off.
Peter threw himself out of bed and quickly dressed in tight jeans, a white button up shirt, a casual black tie and a black jacket, the moment he woke up. The dreams he had from the night before were still in his mind's eye. It was almost seven-fifteen. He hurried up to Sam's place and tried the knob. As he predicted, it was locked. He turned around and knocked on William's door. It took a few seconds for him to answer. When he did, his half closed eyes instantly narrowed at the sight of Peter.
"What, Wentz, you wanna break my heart, too?" William asked.
"Where's Sam?" Peter said ignoring his question.
"I don't know." William said.
"Come on, you're her neighbor. You must talk to her every now and then. Where is she?" Peter asked.
William crossed his arms, "Why?"
"Because," Peter said, "I'm not ready to let her go."
William studied his expression for a few seconds, "I'll text her." He grabbed his new phone from inside his robe pocket and texted Sam.
"Okay," he said after a few minutes, "She's in a class that helps people."
"What?" Peter asked confused.
"It's like a therapy class." William said.
Peter was stunned at those words, "Well," he said taking a deep breath, "Ask her where it is."
William stared at him, "Are you serious about this, Wentz?"
"Yes." Peter said nodding.
William still stared at him, "You know what you have to say?"
"I can't say it." Peter said.
"Then you can't have her." William said, "Look, I'm not a guy who'll tell that to a girl easily. But this is Sam, even I know what I'd have to do to have her and I'd do it with a smile. You know she's leaving, right?"
"Do you know when?" Peter asked.
William smirked, "You don't know?"
Peter shook his head.
"It's either today or tomorrow." William teased, "If you're going to do something, do it soon."
Peter was suddenly alarmed. He had less time than he thought. He might never see Sam again. Even worse, his trial was tomorrow.
"Ask her where that his place is at." Peter urged.
"You're sure, Wentz?" William quizzed.
Peter nodded.
"All right." William said and raised up his phone.