There's Too Much Green To Feel Blue

Like The Flutter Of Wings...

Sam had most of her things unpacked when she decided to head to Peter's apartment to make dinner. When they arrived home, Lily ran to Sam excitedly.
Sam picked her up, "You hungry?"
"Yes." Lily answered.
"Good." Sam said putting her down.
"So," Peter said coming to the kitchen counter where Sam was, "how was the move? Do you still need any help?"
"No, I have half of my things already unpacked." Sam said as she served the food.
"I'd like a tour." Peter said.
"Sure, after dinner." Sam agreed.
"Will you joing us for dinner today?" Peter asked.
Sam smiled, "Sure."
Peter grinned, "Lily," he looked at the living room, "Sam's going to eat with us today."
"Yay." Lily bounded to the kitchen.
When all three sat and ate at the counter, Sam spoke, "Guess who asked me out to lunch," she said laughing a little.
"Who?" Peter looked up curiously.
"Robert from the front desk," she said.
"Really?" Peter asked.
"Robbie, Robbie, Robbie!" Lily cried.
"He plays with Lily from time to time." Peter explained, "Wow, your first day here and you've already been asked on a date."
"I've been asked for more than that." Sam muttered, picking at her food.
"What?" Peter asked.
"Nothing, it's just, some building you live in."
"How do you mean?" Peter asked.
Sam moved the food around her plate with her fork, "I met my neighbor today."
Peter thought for a second, "Beckett?" he asked.
Sam nodded.
"What did he tell you?"
Sam looked over at Lily.
"Lily, earmuffs." Peter said.
Lily put her fork down and placed her hands over her ears. Sam quickly explained what happened.
"Wow, he was coming on strongly." Peter said after Sam finished and Lily put her hands down, "Don't worry, he should leave you alone."
Sam smiled, "Well, at least I know I've got options. In case I ever decide to leave Will."
"Your boyfriend?" Pete asked.
Sam nodded.
"Don't mix in with Beckett. If anything, all he's looking for is a one night stand."
"What if that's what I'm looking for, too?" Sam asked.
Peter grinned, "Dirty girl."
"You like it!" Sam laughed.
When they finished eating, Peter changed into a red shirt and black shoes, pants and beanie. Then the three took the elevator two floors up.
"Oh, my God, I am going to make you the best cappuccino you've ever tasted!" Sam said excitedly.
Peter stepped in almost freaked. "You call this half unpacked?" Peter cried.
He looked around at the apartment. Her entertainment system was all set up. A big stuffed sofa was placed in front of it. Her kitchen looked full and alive. There were plants everywhere and pictures all over the walls. She had a giant stereo with stack after stack of cd's. It already looked like she'd been living here longer than Peter had been in his.
Sam stamped her foot as if to try out the floor, "I don't like this floor." she said.
"Why? It's just woody and hard." Pete said.
"I know something else that's woody and hard." Sam said clearing her throat.
Peter laughed and enjoyed the feeling, "Oh, it feels so good to laugh," he said savoring the feeling.
"What do you mean? You're always laughing and joking around." Sam said turning the tv on for Lily and leading Pete to the kitchen.
"Yeah, around you. Actually the first time I laughed in a while was that day that I met you."
"Why is that?" Sam asked frowning slightly as she pulled out the ingredients from her cabinets.
"I don't know." Pete said pulling up a stool to her counter. "I guess when all that happened with Hash, I was kind of forced to grow up sooner than expected. Also, I had to be a father by myself and I didn't know how to do either of those. I never really had time to enjoy myself after that. I never really had time to enjoy myself after that. My job and Lily were on my priorities and I didn't talk to many people my age." Peter paused, "I was like that for two years just stressed out and depressed but I couldn't let Lily see me like that so I kept it mostly to myself. But then you came and, I know it's only been a few days but I've been grateful for your help with Lily," he glanced back at Lily, "and myself."
Sam put her chin in her hands, leaned toward him and smiled, "Are you trying to butter me up?"
"No, seriously--"
"No, I know, Peter." Sam said, "I took one look at you and I saw how low your shoulders were, I said to myself, the world has crushed this man."
"Well, I guess, I proved my point." Peter grinned.
"You should smile more often, Peter, you have great teeth."
Peter grinned again and Sam grinned back.
"Now, you must try my cappuccinos." Sam grabbed the ingredients she had taken out and got to work.
Minutes later, Peter was in chocolatey heaven. He couldn't stop licking his lips.
"Mmm, I'm in love!" Peter exclaimed, "You know, maybe you should give one of these to Beckett."
"I don't think he wants a cappuccino." Sam said.
"But he wants something all right." Peter said. He took another sip, "Mmm, I swear, if this cappuccino was a girl--"
"Peter, what happened to your wings?" Sam asked.
"Huh?"
"You are going through things. I could see that even when I first laid eyes on you. I'm looking at you right now, and I'm wondering where your wings are," she fumbled with her wrist, "Which is why I'm going to give you this." she pulled a bracelet off her wrist, "It's just a little something to surprises and to remind you that if you ever need anything," she tied it to his wrist, "I'll always be your friend and I'll be there for you. I like you, Peter, you have a good heart."
Peter sat there feeling something in his stomach. He tried to think back at the last time he heard something that sweet but he couldn't remember anything. He couldn't even think back to anything his wife had told him. He flexed his wrist and looked at the blue and yellow bracelet.
"Sam--"
Sam placed her finger across his nose and mouth, "You don't have to say anything."
But Peter slid off his stool, approached her and gave her a whole hearted hug. Sam felt Peter's arms slide around her skinny ones. Up close, Sam smelled like strawberries.
Sam pulled away smiling, like always, "Aw, you're a romantic," she pinched his cheek, "Cute boy."
"Pink cheeks." Peter said squeezing her cheeks.
"Would you like some more cappuccino?" she asked.
"Yes!" Peter seized his mug and handed it to her.
Peter downed about two more cups before they noticed that Lily was passed out on the couch. To their surprise, it was already night time. Peter carried Lily carefully out of the apartment.
"Do they allow pets here?" Sam asked following Peter to the elevator.
"I'm not sure." Peter said pressing the button. The elevator came and they stepped in.
"Why?" he asked pressing the button to his floor.
"I'm thinking of getting a puppy or a kitty." Sam said.
"Maybe you should ask your lover." Peter said.
"You're right. I better go and turn on the old charm."
"Do you want me to go with you?" Peter asked as the elevator door opened.
He trusted Robert, he just didn't trust Robert with Sam.
"No, don't worry about it. I'll be in a well lit area. He won't try anything funny. And if he does, I'll scream loudly so you can hear me."
"Okay, then, good night. If you need help, yell or something." Peter said as he stepped out.
"Okay, good night." Sam called.
She pushed the button for the lobby. When she arrived, Sam hopped down the steps and went straight up to Robert.
"Hey, Robbie," she leaned close to the glass, "listen, I got a question for you."
"Yeah?" Robert said excitedly.
"Do they allow pets in this building?"
Robert looked a little put out, "Oh. No, they don't."
"Aw, that's a bummer." Sam said. Now she looked put out.
"Why?"
"I was thinking of getting a pet, but I guess it's not an option," she took a deep breath. "Well, okay, then," she said brightly, "Good night."
"Good night." Robert called back waving.