There's Too Much Green To Feel Blue

Halo

Peter became anxious as soon as he had the address. He knew in his nervous state he wouldn't be able to drive, so he hopped onto a taxi. His teeth chattered as he sat in the backseat. The curly haired driver kept throwing worried glances back at him. He couldn't help it. William hadn't given him a straight answer on whether Sam was leaving today or tomorrow. What if she was leaving today? He wasn't sure he'd be able to stop her. He would just have to go at Sam swinging, not literally of course. But he'd have to go with her with all he had just to get her to stay. In the meantime, he hoped and prayed that Sam wasn't leaving in the next few hours. If she left, his entire life left with her.
He leaned forward and placed his hands on the seat in front of him, "Is there any way you can go faster?" he asked.
"Faster?" the curly haired driver asked glancing at Peter, "I'm already driving the limit, man."
"But you don't understand!" Peter cried panickly, "My girl's mad at me and she might leave town, I need to stop her!"
The curly haired man turned and stared at him, "Your girl wouldn't happen to be a girl with brown curly hair? Really skinny and super cute?"
"Yes, yes, that's Sam!" Peter cried.
"She's cute as can be! Wasn't she married to some tall, skinny white guy with long brown hair?" the driver asked.
Peter frowned, "William? No, no, she's mine."
"No kidding, man?" he turned around, let go of the wheel and held out his hand, "How's it going, man, I'm Joe."
"Peter." Pete quickly shook his hand, "Keep your eyes on the road, Joe!"
Peter covered his face as Joe turned back around and veered the car back into a straight line.
"That pretty lady is leaving city?" Joe asked.
"Yes!" Peter cried.
"Oh, hell no." Joe swore, "Too many bad things happen in this world already. There's war, there's hunger and they let Paris Hilton show her horse face on tv! I will not let this happen! Buckle your seat belt--"
"This cab doesn't have any--" But Pete was suddenly thrown back as the car lurched forward.
Although Sam's class was almost across town, Pete was there in seven minutes. He ran into a ten story building and asked the receptionist about Sam's class. The building had no working elevator, so he ran all the way up to the seventh floor. Although he was completely out of breath, when he spotted the right door, he ran even faster and burst into the room.
He immediately zeroed in on Sam. With the adrenaline burning through his veins, he blurted out, "Sam, I don't care how much money you have or how many men you've slept with, I want to be the only one you screw around with."
Sam's mouth dropped open as everyone in the room turned to stare at her.
"Are you crazy?" she asked outraged and slightly embarassed.
"Yes." Peter answered quickly. Even after these past few days, he was still under her spell.
While she stared at him nonplussed, he took in the room. He almost jumped back as he noticed the people standing in a circle in the large room. Most of the women there were actually transvestites. They were dressed extravagantly. Sam was one of the three real women in the room. Three tranny's stood out the most. They were standing next to Sam. With their overdone make-up, tall stature and wild outfits, they looked like triplets. They even had the same outfits and wigs on. The three all wore long-sleeved dresses that reached down and covered most of the leg, big frizzy, curly wigs, dark panty hose and matching high heels. The one on the left wore a pink wig, a pink dress and pink heels. The one in the middle wore a blue wig, dress and heels and the one in the right wore a purple wig, dress and heels.
He tore his eyes away from the odd women and stared at Sam. Even in this situation, Peter immediately noticed how stunning Sam looked. She wore a tight red dress with a large black belt that accentuated her waist. She wasn't making this easy for him. The only thing that dampened the ensemble was the large purple blanket draped around her. The sight of the blanket made him cringe. Now he knew how much he was damaging Sam. If she was wearing that blanket, things were much worse than he thought.
The tranny in purple turned and murmured something to Sam.
"Yeah, that's him." Sam said.
Within two minutes the class had moved to the far left while Sam and Pete were on the right. Peter was thankful for the large room. It was like a giant dance studio except without all the mirrors.
"What are you doing here, Peter?" Sam said angrily.
"Me? What are you doing here?" Peter asked.
"This is a place to help other human beings. And there's only two rules here : Be yourself and when life is a drag, put on a dress."
Peter glanced at the transvestites.
Sam crossed her arms and tilted her head, "I know why I'm here, why are you here?"
Peter paused, "I...I had to see you."
"Oh, God." Sam placed her hands on her face and threw back her head exasperatedly, "Peter, why did you say that? Do you see what you're doing? Do you see what you're doing to me?"
"Yes. Sam it kills me when you wear that thing." he gestured to the blanket draped over her shoulders.
"It kills you? You're not the one wearing the stupid blanket." Sam said angrily as she pulled at the blanket, "Oh, God, Peter, I can't keep doing this. You're torturing me. Why?"
"No, answer me this first." Peter said, "Why do you love me? Why should I be so lucky? Why me when you can have someone else, someone better?"
He could see that his questions instantly calmed her. Or saddened her, either ways, she didn't look like she was going to slap him anymore.
"I love you." she said in a soft voice, "because you take me the way I am. You have no complaints about what I say or do. You accept me. And I love you because you're a working man. You work your fingers to the bone just to come home and see your loved ones smile. All my life, I've met people that hold themselves as their first priority, but not you. You hold everyone else before yourself. That's why my stupid heart loves you. And," she gave him a sad look, "I like the way you look at me."
"Sam--" Peter began to say but she raised up a hand.
"But I guess I was wrong to love you. After all, I can't ask for eternity from a mortal."
"Fuck, Sam," Peter said miserably, "Why do you always say things that hurt me?"
"Why does your silence hurt me?" Sam retorted.
"Sam, the reason I follow you is because I can't stand to be away from you. I need you with me at all times. What am I supposed to do if you're not here?"
"Just forget me, it's that simple."
"You're the one that's crazy now." Peter said, "Sam, I--" Frustrated, he placed a hand to his head, "I can't say it. Damn it all to hell, I can't say it. I wish you would hit me non-stop until I said it."
Sam shrugged her shoulders, "That can be arranged." She smiled and gave him a loving look, "Did you get your Dior suit?"
"No." Peter said.
"It should be here by today. You're trial is tomorrow, isn't it?" Sam asked.
"Yes." Peter answered.
"Good luck." Sam said.
"Sam, I don't want to sound cheesy, but you are everything to me." he reached for her face but Sam gently pushed his hands away.
"Peter, I love you." she said in a voice so angelic, Peter felt his very bones melt, "and there's nothing else I can tell you besides that. Why can't you say that to me?"
Peter stared at her, "Because--I'm afraid." he admitted.
"My job was to teach you not to be afraid. And, if I didn't do that, then there's really no point of me being here anymore." she paused, "I'm leaving tomorrow, Peter."
He stared at her, not knowing what to say. He could swear that this woman was a mind reader.
"Good-bye, Peter." she said. She turned and joined the three tranny's in the middle of the room.
"Bye, girls, I'm going to be leaving now." Sam said to them.
"Aw, no, honey." the Pink Lady said.
"Well, we'll see you, girl." the Blue Lady said.
"Will you come and visit?" the Purple Lady asked.
"Yeah, I'm sure I can come by on the weekends. I mean, I'm only leaving out of circumstances."
"Honey, there are only two reasons why you're leaving and one of them is standing right there." the Blue Lady pointed at Peter.
The drag queens turned and looked at him.
"Well, then, I'll see you girls." Sam said.
The drag queens cooed and said their good-bye's as they took turns hugging Sam. They watched her walk out the door. As soon as the door closed, the three colorful tranny's turned and walked up to Peter. The Pink and Purple Lady stopped a few feet away while the Blue Lady walked straight up to him.
"Sweetie, we know this isn't easy for you or Sam, but you have to say it." she put a hand on his shoulder, "Do you love Sam?"
Peter remained silent. He was doing alot of that these days.
"He does, he does love her," the Blue Lady called to the other drag queens as she slipped her hand off her shoulder, "Did you see the way his face changed? His face lit up when he walked into the room and saw her." the Lady stared at him, "Now, I have never seen Sam this fascinated with a man before. You better chase after her because if you let her go, she's not ever coming back."
'This he/she is right' Peter thought. Yet he still couldn't bring himself to tell Sam what he really felt. He didn't want to think about never seeing Sam again. At least he knew that he still had until tomorrow to try to build up some nerve. Bottom line was that Sam was leaving unless he did something. Until then, he had no one to blame but himself. Maybe he deserved the impending pain. He guessed he wasn't through with his thinking. He had many more hours of thought to get through.
"Thanks." Peter said before he turned and left.
The Purple and Pink Ladies joined the Blue Lady. They watched Pete leave.
"He really is a nice boy." the Blue Lady said.
"Such a darling." said the Pink Lady.
"I miss him already." the Purple Lady.
Sam quickly went home after Peter had burst into her therapy class. Something must've been going through Peter's mind to make him appear so suddenly to her class. The look on his face had alarmed her. As she sat in the back of the cab hugging her knees, she thought about her apartment. She had decided not to pack anything up other than her clothes, dvd's, cd's, shoes and purses. Even then, she was going to hire people to pack them up first thing tomorrow. She was already decided that she was leaving for sure. She'd have everything she'd need to re-cooperate at her parents house. Plus, she'd have her hands full with Gabe's situation. She thought back to how Peter busted in the doors of her class and smiled tightly. It was kind of romantic how he had done that, like something out of a movie. She glanced up at the cab driver and realized that the cab driver's eyes were on her. She recognized as the guy who drove her and William when they shared the cab.
"Are--are you staring at me?" Sam asked, a little horrified.
"No!" Joe said quickly, "I mean, you're cute and all. I'd totally take you to dinner." he paused, "You want to go to dinner?"
Sam giggled, "I'm leaving town tomorrow, sorry."
"You could've just said no." Joe said.
Sam giggled again, "I'm being serious."
"Yeah, I know." Joe grumbled, "But it was worth a shot."
One of the reasons Sam had left the house was so that she wouldn't be moping around the house and stuffing her face. But she found herself on the couch, eating Doritos and watching TMZ.
"There goes Ashlee Simpson blabbing her big drunk mouth." Sam said angrily, "And what the hell is in Harvey Levin's cup?!"
There was a knock on the door.
"Unless you have a bottomless bag of Doritos, go away!" Sam yelled.
The door opened and William walked in, "Just came to check on you, love." He took in the sight of her blanket, ba of chips and tired eyes, "I'm glad to see you haven't gone to pieces."
"Yeah, I'm just spiffy." Sam said inserting a chip in her mouth.
William shut the door and sat next to her on her right, "How'd it go with Wentz?"
"Oh, it went awesomely, we're getting married." Sam said, not tearing her eyes away from the screen.
"Really?" William asked amused.
"Yeah, right now he's out diving into the sea to find the Heart of the Ocean for me." Sam said.
"What did he say?" William asked.
"The same as always." Sam said with a wave of her hand.
"He's trying." William said.
"Unless he's ready to say what I want to him to say, I want him to stop trying." Sam said putting the bag of chips down.
"Sam, don't be a fool." William said placing a hand on top of hers.
"Oh, my God, I'm totally a fool." Sam said placing a hand on her head, "I'm a fool for him. For Peter, eew."
William chuckled, "Are you really going to leave him here?"
"Yes." Sam said pulling her blanket tighter around her.
"Are you really going to leave me?" William asked.
Sam finally turned her full body toward him, "You're going to miss me?" she gushed.
"Yeah." William said as if it were so obvious. He leaned forward, "I mean, I'll be bummed that you won't be across the hall and you won't be as accesible, but I'll still text you. And I'll fly up there and come visit, I'm sure, so that we can continue our hot and flirtatious relationship."
Sam nodded and grinned, "William, I think you're a cool guy."
William smiled, "So, am I getting laid tonight?"
Sam simply grinned widely.
"I'll get you, clever girl." William vowed.
Sam scooted forward and embraced him, "Thanks for cheering me up, William."
"Is that what I did?" William asked confused, "I was just trying to get some."
In response, Sam gave him a quick kiss on the cheek.
"Is that it?" William asked, "Ugh, I'll take it." he hugged her tighter.
Peter got home two hours later. He hadn't felt like going home right away after he had sort of failed. The moment he walked through the doors, Robert was at his side holding up a large plastic bag.
"Wentz, you've got a delivery."
Peter took a closer look at what he was holding. It was a large plastic bag and inside it was the most magnificent black suit he'd ever seen.
"Oh, my God." Peter took the suit and admired it.
"Nice." Robert complimented as Peter's eyes widened.
"I can't believe she bought this for me." Peter marveled.
"What? Sam bought this for you?" Robert's eyes widened at him, "You're such a bastard."
"You're right, I am." Peter said.
Robert shook his head as he walked away, "You don't deserve her or your life." he muttered.
He couldn't take his eyes off the suit. He took it up to his place, hung it on a hook next to the front door, stepped back and admired the perfect suit.
"Oh, my gosh." Peter said completely blown away.
Well, at least he'll look nice once Sam leaves and if the final verdict doesn't go well in his trial. But this suit must've cost more than a boat. He never could've imagined that he would own something that was worth more than his aparment. This would probably be the only thing he'd have to remember her. What was going to happen to him? If he lost Sam and Lily, what would he do? He'd have nobody left to be with him. This thought made him re-think this entire situation. He should at least get to be with one of them.
Peter sat on his couch, dazed at this new thought. He could lose them both and he'd spend his days by himself. He'd never meet another Sam ever. And no one could ever replace his daughter. What was going to happen to him if he had no one left? Suddenly, everything seemed life or death. Anything could happen tomorrow and he wasn't sure if he had control over any of it.
What if this was the last day he had to see the two people he loved the most. Some day, Sam didn't want to be anywhere near him and Hash wouldn't let him anywhere near Lily. He wasn't made out of mushrooms! Were the past few days just a preview of what was to come? He didn't want this. He didn't want another second of this. But what could he do? Whether Lily was to stay with him or not was up to a judge. His fate with Sam was in his hands but he couldn't do anything with her that made him take a risk. It all came down to his life, what he wanted to happen and what he didn't what to happen. He wanted Lily and Sam to stay with him. He didn't want to lose Lily and he didn't want to put himself out there with Sam only to have his feelings hurt. But he had a strong pull toward Sam and, although she was only two stories up from him, he was tortured by the distance apart.
However, he couldn't ever picture Sam doing such a thing. He couldn't see her breaking his heart. And yet he had broken hers simply because she loved him.
Peter placed his hands on his head frustratedly. All he really wanted was to be by her side. The words she had said to him earlier had been music to his ears. He did love her but he had told her the truth, he was afraid, afraid to lose her. But he was already losing her. He wasn't courageous enough to go and be Prince Charming and he wasn't rich enough to sweep her off her feet. He was just Peter. He worked hard to keep his loved ones happy. The loved ones who would be leaving him tomorrow.