There's Too Much Green To Feel Blue

Girlfriend In A Coma

The next morning, Sam burst in through the door being her usual noisy self, except this time she seemed in a hurry. She strode quickly toward Peter, who was staring sleepily at the stove.
"Be right back," she said pinching his arm and then heading for the door.
"What do you have there?" he looked at the thermis in her hand as he rubbed his arm.
"Cappuccino." Sam answered.
Instantly awake, Peter dove over the counter and snatched at Sam. "Give it to me!" he cried.
"No, it's for Robert!" Sam said.
Peter's hands fell to his sides and he slid off the counter, "Ooh, you love him!" he teased.
"No, I'm just working my magic on him," she said.
"Can I have some of your magic?" Peter asked reaching for the thermis.
"I'll be back." Sam said and quickly raced to the lobby.
She reached Robert, who seemed to be dosing on his counter with his head in his arms. Sam entered his little office without permission.
"Robert," she called gently, "Robert," she tugged his arm, "Robbie, it's Sam," she waited.
There was no response.
"Robert, Robert, the building's on fire!"
Still nothing.
"It's hot, do you mind if I take off my pants?"
She grew impatient. She shook him roughly, "Robert!"
Without warning, he shot up, roughly placed a hand over his mouth and pressed something sharp to her neck. He looked wildly around.
"Oh, that's right. I'm in the apartment building." He looked at his captor and he grinned.
"Sam...Oh," he lowered his weapon and put it away, "Sorry," he added sheepishly.
"It's okay, it's not a good day unless your life's been threatened."
"What are you doing in my office?" he asked grinning madly.
"I brought you some cappuccino," she said giving him her cutest smile.
"Aw," he said.
"Aw, drink up, drink up," she motioned with her hands.
When he tilted the thermis and his eyes went wide, Sam quickly said, "Berty, is there any way I can get my apartment carpeted?"

---------------------------------------------------

Sam came into the apartment dancing her soul out. She danced across the room to Peter, grabbed his hands and made him dance with her.
"What's up with you?" Peter asked as Sam spun herself around using his hand, "Oh, my God, what did you and Robert do?"
"You mean what Robert did for me." Sam corrected.
Peter let go of Sam, disgusted. Sam laughed, "I'll explain later." Sam assured.
"Do I want to know?" Peter asked.
"Oh, calm down, corny dog," she said heading to the cabinets and looking around for food. She glanced at him and smiled. "Oh, you look so cute in white!" she said rubbing his white undershirt, "Oh, we're both matching!"
Peter looked down at his white undershirt and baggy blue shorts. Then looked at Sam's tight white shirt, tight jeans rolled up to her lower leg and her red suspenders with matching ballerina shoes.
"Yeah, we both look like twins." Peter said emotionlessly.
She smacked his arm, "Go get ready."
It was surprising how she'd only been working for three days and Pete had already fallen into her routine. He was out of the shower in a few minutes and his breakfast was already set. Lily seemed to have fallen into the routine, too, for she was already eating her breakfast when Peter walked into the kitchen.
"How come you always sit Lily on the coffee table?" Peter asked.
"Because he's four." Sam answered, "She couldn't sit so high up. She'll fall and then you'll have two girls in the hospital."
"Hash," Peter sighed, "I haven't seen her since Monday." He put a hand over his mouth and thought for a few minutes.
"Your pancakes are gonna get cold." Sam said snapping him out of his thoughts.
"Ooh, pancakes." He sat and ate.
"Mmm, they're really good!" Peter cried. He held onto the counter and leaned back in ecstasy, "Mmm, there's an orgy in my mouth!"
"Daddy, what's an orgy?" Lily called.
Pete's eyes went wide as Sam grinned.
"Orgy's are very," he swallowed, "very bad things."
"Don't knock it 'til you try it, honey." Sam murmured and Peter held in his laughter.
"Then, why is it in your mouth?" Lily asked innocently.
"You know what, I take that back. I shouldn't have an orgy in my mouth." He looked to his right, on the floor and muttered, "Even thought it's really good."
"Naughty boy," Sam said, "I don't talk to naughty boys."
"But you can sure as hell cook for them." Peter said through chews.
Moments later, Peter was about ready to leave. He was saying good-bye to Lily when he turned and looked at Sam.
"I'm coming home early today," he informed her.
"Cool, what for?" Sam asked placing dishes in the sink.
"I want to go visit my wife," he paused, "And I'd like you to come with us."
Sam noisily dropped a dish on the sink and stared at Peter. "You want to me to meet your wife?"
"Yes." Peter said.
"And she's in a coma?"
"Yes." Peter nodded curtly.
"Sounds like an experience, I'm in," she said.
"Good," he smiled, "Well, then, I'll see you girls later."
As Peter placed his hands on the doorknob, Sam couldn't help but notice the blue and yellow on his right hand.

--------------------------------------------------------

When Peter marched up to his apartment after work, he saw that there was a note attached to his door. In blue marker it said:

Pop-n-Fresh
We're up at my place!
Love,
Sam the Man and

And in red crayon was Lily's name in shaky writing. Peter smiled and took the elevator two stories up. When Peter knocked on the door and Sam opened it, Peter did a double take. Sam's entire apartment was covered in soft, white carpet.
"What do you think?" Sam asked sliding her bare feet on the carpet.
"How did you get this done?" Peter asked walking in and looking around.
"With a little bit of magic." Sam handing Peter a grilled cheese.
Still in shock, Peter took a bite and nearly did another double take.
"This is really good!" he said chewing.
Lily went up to Pete holding a sandwhich in her left hand and puckered up her lips. Peter bent down, allowed her to kiss his cheek and took another bite of his sandwhich.
"Mmm," he snatched. Lily's grilled cheese and sampled it, "Mmm." He took another bite.
"Daddy, that's mine--"
"Mmm, there's another--"
"Lily, there's more in the kitchen." Sam said quickly.
"Orgy in my mouth," Peter mouthed when Lily ran off.
"You're having too many of those today." Sam said.
"It's your fault," Pete accused, still on his knees.
Sam raised an eyebrow and Peter chuckled as he stood up.
"Are you hungry?" Sam asked, "Because all I made was a plate of grilled cheese sanwhiches."
"No, these will hold off. They're very good. We can just pick up something after we visit Hash. Let's just go to my place to drop this stuff off and change Lily."
Taking the plate of sandwhiches, Peter and the girls went up to the apartment.
"Why are you dressing Lily up?" Sam asked as she helped rummage for suitable clothes.
"Because she needs to look presentable." Peter answered, picking clothes from a drawer.
"But isn't your wife, like, asleep?"
"It doesn't mean Lily can go in just whatever. She's not you." Peter grinned.
Sam pretended to be offended and gasped, "We'll see. When we get to the hospital, nobody will be able to keep their eyes off me."
And Sam was right. As they walked around the all too familiar hallways, people turned and stared at Sam. Peter thought it must've been because every simple thing brought Sam pleasure. She would bounce off the walls just seeing a passing nurse or doctor. When the intercom would come on she'd jump with excitement. The hospital fascinated her.
"Wow, this place looks like fun!" she said as she watched a pack of nurses push a stretcher with a bleeding, screaming man.
"Yeah, it's a party, all right." Peter said cringing at the sight of the man. "Let's go see mom."
He led Lily and Sam up to the correct floor. When they got to the right room, Peter paused in front of the closed door.
"Okay, well, here she is. Sam, meet Hash." He opened the door and held it wide open.
Sam took a few slow steps in and stopped in the middle of the tiny room. She stared for a few seconds at the woman that lay on the white bed.
"Wow," Sam whispered, "So this is your sleeping beauty?"
"Yeah," Peter said liking her choice of words.
He held Lily's hand and kept her close to him in the doorway.
"She crashed, you said?" Sam asked.
"Yes." Peter answered.
"And her name is Hash?"
"Yes."
Since Sam had her back to him, Peter didn't see her frown. "So, tell me something, why is it that when you met me you thought my name was weird. When Hash, well, I've only heard it next to the word 'brown'."
Peter laughed with relief. He wasn't sure why, but he had been nervous about Sam meeting Hash. Lily tugged on his hand.
"Can I see her now, daddy?" she asked.
In response, he let go of her hand. Lily bounded to the bed and automatically started playing with her mother's hair. Peter moved into the room, Sam joined him.
"What do you think?" Peter asked as they both surveyed.
"She's pretty." Sam said, "What color are her eyes?"
"Green." Peter answered, remembering exactly how his wife's eyes sparkled.
"Nice." Sam said.
"Hey, Pete," said a familiar voice.
Peter turned and looked at Brendon.
"Haven't seen you in a while." Brendon said scribbling on his clipboard.
"Yeah, it's been a crazy week." Pete said.
Brendon stopped scribbling, looked up and his eyes immediately zoned in on Sam. "Oh," he looked at her up and down and grinned, "Hi, I'm Brendon."
Sam smiled, "I'm Sam."
"Pleasure." Brendon said.
Peter cleared his throat.
"Oh, Peter, I...um...yeah?"
"How's Hash?"
"Doing good." Brendon said, his eyes shifting back to Sam.
"Really? Because she looks sleepy." Sam said looking at Hash.
Brendon laughed, "Actually, there are some things I'd like to discuss in private with you."
"Okay, be right back," he said to Sam as Brendon pulled him into the hallway, "Watch Lily."
Out in the hallway, Brendon turned to Peter, Who is that girl you just brought into your wife's coma bed?"
"That's the baby-sitter I was telling you about." Peter answered.
"Oh," Brendon said understandingly, "Nice choice."
"I guess, Lily loves her. She stamps her feet every time she has to go."
"I would, too, if she were leaving my apartment. She's cute." Brendon said.
"She had a boyfriend." Pete said.
Brendon clicked his tongue, "Damn it, can't catch a break."
Pete smiled and went back into the room followed by Brendon. The moment Sam saw Brendon, she rushed to them. She pushed Peter aside and faced Brendon.
"So, you're, like, a nurse here or something?" she asked.
"Yeah." Brendon laughed a musical laugh.
"What's it like working here?" Sam asked, her eyes wild with excitement.
Brendon laughed again, "It's cool, everyday is full of surprises."
"Just like life." Sam said fascinated.
"Why, you want to become a nurse, too?"
"Hardly," Sam rolled her eyes, "I just like all the excitement that goes on around here."
Brendon blushed, "You...you want to see some excitement?"
"Brendon!" Peter scolded.
Brendon looked up at him alarmed and Sam gave him a confused look.
"Uh, Brendon, why don't you take Lily now?" Pete said trying to cover up his scold.
Brendon looked put out, "Fine." He took Lily's hand and exited the room.
"He is so gay." Sam retorted and Peter burst out laughing.
"Oh, man," Peter wheezed, "Okay, I gotta go to the bathroom. I'll be back," he rushed out of the room.
Sam watched him leave. Then, ever so carefully, Sam crossed the room, closed the door and stood by Hash's right side. She stared for a minute, leaned in close and yelled Hash's name at the top of her lungs. Se waited.
"The hospital is on fire! Lots of people are burning! Aaahhh!" Sam waited.
When there was no response, Sam giggled and clapped her hands. Sam tried it for a few more minutes until she heard footsteps outside the door. She straightened up and Peter walked through the door.
"Um, Sam, do you mind if I stay with Hash alone for a few minutes?" he said closing the door.
"Oh. Is it, like, conjugal visit day or something?" she asked innocently.
"What?!" Peter asked with a mixture of laughter and disgust, "No! What's wrong with you?"
"I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I'm new to this!" Sam cried holding up her hands.
"I just want to talk to her." Pete explained.
"Okay. You could've said that from the beginning instead of making me look like and idiot!"
She exited the room. Peter closed the door behind her. Sam watched a man inside a room opposite her as she stood in the hallway. He looked weak and had dark circles all around his eyes, making him look like a skeleton. There were nurses surrounding him. Sam could almost picture a blanket falling over them and she could picture the nurses cowering as the blanket revealed a world of the dead.
Sam had been standing in the hallway for a total of 30 seconds when Brendon came to talk to her.
"So, you're a baby-sitter?" he asked.
"I guess so."
"You like taking care of Lily?"
"Yeah," she looked around, "Where is she?"
Brendon's eyes went wide.
Sam folded her arms and smiled, "Go get her."
Brendon ran away. He came back two minutes later, he showed up with Lily in hand. He held out a small red lollipop. "Don't tell Peter," he said.
"Hmm," she took the lollipop, "It's going to take more than a lollipop to keep my mouth shut, Mr. Nurse."
Brendon frowned slightly, "What do you want?"
Sam smiled....
"Make this quick." Brendon said moments later as he closed the passenger door of an ambulance.
"How long can we pull this off?" Sam asked gripping the steering wheel.
"I'll give you fifty seconds." Brendon said.
"Fifty-five." Sam bargained.
"Forty-five." Brendon argued.
"Fifty."
"Forty seconds."
"Done." Sam agreed, "Lily?"
"I locked her in my car." Brendon said.
"Okay, hold on."
Sam started up the ambulance and immediately started driving circles at full speed around the parking lot.
"Wooooo!" Sam cheered as she spun the car around.
Brendon gripped his seat and the dashboard. "Slow down!" he yelled.
"I told you to hold on!" Sam yelled, laughing.
"Oh, Jesus, youre going to kill us!"
"Well, then, we'll die laughing!" Sam cheered as she suddenly swerved the car.
"Who's laughing? I'm not having any fun!"
"Enjoy the ride, nurse! Yeah! 'Your hiding in your safe place, hiding with your eyes shut tightly on your way to the hospital! It never used to hurt before, it isn't funny anymore! Your hiding in your safe place, hiding with your eyes shut tightly on your way to the hospital!'" she sang.
Brendon allowed a few more seconds to pass before he checked his watch.
"Oh!" he said relieved, "Time's up!"
Sam slowed and neatly parked the ambulance in its space. She grinned, "Thanks, Brendon."
"Thank you." Brendon said trying to catch his breath.
"Sure, I'm glad you enjoyed the ride."
"No, thank for stopping the car," he breathed.
"Let's go get Lily," she said pulling the keys out of the ambulance.
Moments later, there was a knock on Peter's door and Brendon burst into the room.
"That girl is crazy!" Brendon pointed at the closed door.
"Why?" Peter asked alarmed at how shaken Brendon was.
"She just went on a joy ride in an ambulance!"
"What?!"
"Oh, man, I'm going to be in so much trouble!" he covered his face with his hands.
"Why'd you let her do it?" Peter asked.
"I didn't think she was going to go through with it!" Brendon defended.
"Where are they?" Peter said trying not to smile.
"They got hungry. They're looking for a vending machine." Brendon answered. He took a deep breath.
"I did promise to take them out to eat." Peter remembered, "I better go." he rose out of his chair, "See you, Brendon." he stuck out his hand.
Brendon shook it briskly, "You better be careful man," Brendon warned.
"Don't worry. She wouldn't hurt anybody....on purpose."
They left the hospital and went to a nearby drive through.
"They have really good salads here." Pete said.
"Mmm, green stuff." Sam said.
Her phone ran with a funny little tune that made Peter look at her weird.
"Excuse me," Sam said and answered the phone, "Que honda, Gabe?".....Really? Hell, yeah! Not now, I'm about to eat. I'll call you. 'Kay, bye."
"What's up?" Peter asked as he drove to the next window to receive the food.
"Nothing. It's Friday night and my best friend's going crazy."
"Friday? Oh, yeah. You do know that I have weekends off so you don't have to come, unless you want to."
In response, Sam looked at the backseat. "You're kiddo's falling asleep." she said.
Confused, Peter looked at the clock on his car. "Eight? We went that long without dinner?" he asked perplexed.
"Poor girl." Sam sympathized.
"She'll be fine." Peter said receiving the food and handing it to Sam.
"I was talking about you." Sam said looking out the window.
Peter was stunned for a second and then laughed. "You're something else." he said driving away.
They arrived at Peter's apartment, tucked in Lily and ate on the kitchen counter.
"Did you see how Robert looked at you on the way in?" Peter asked teasingly.
"Yeah, but he can look at me like that all he wants. I owe him two now."
"Eew." Peter said.
"Eew." she mimicked, "When are you going to learn to stop thinking naughty thoughts?"
"When you stop infecting me with them!" Peter said.
"Me?" Sam asked innocently.
"Yes, you and you're..." he looked at her, "..sexy suspenders!"
"You leave my sexy suspenders alone!" Sam said.
"Crazy lady!" Pete shot.
"Sex addict!" Sam shot back.
Peter paused, "Okay, you got me there."
Sam giggled and then became serious.
"It must be hard for you to go to sleep with no one next to you." she commented.
"Is that an invitation?" Peter said trying to ignore the constriction in his chest.
Sam laughed, "Buy me dinner and a movie first."
Peter gestured to the food, "You wanna go watch a movie?" he laughed, "No, it is hard. But you're up there by yourself too, aren't you? You're boyfriend doesn't live with you, right?"
"Yeah, you're right. But if I ever get lonely I can just have William slither into my room. Do you have a William that can slither into your room?"
"I don 't want a William in my room." he said shuddering.
"How about a Robert?" Sam asked.
"Sam, don't you think I can do better than that?"
"Not in this building." Sam replied.
"Lucky us, then." Peter said.
It was then, when Sam smiled, did Peter notice that Sam's nose crinkled ever so lightly. It reminded Peter of whem Hash would laugh. The only difference was that Hash's nose would crinkle alot.
As if reading his mind, Sam asked, "Peter, what is Hash like?"
Peter rested his chin on his hands and sighed.
"Hash is a wonderful woman. She would always wear whatever she wanted but it was always a style of her own. She can make a shirt and jeans look different. She's kind of girly. She wasn't as skinny as she is now and her hair certainly wasn't that long. She is a girl of many smiles and she was always having fun." Pete thought for a minute, "She is a sleeping beauty."
"You miss her alot." Sam stated.
"More and more everyday. And it breaks my heart that Lily loves her but she doesn't know her. Her whole life, she's been asleep. Lily's never seen her mother's green eyes..." Peter's voice broke
Sam put a hand on Peter's hand as he bowed his head.
Through his half filled eyes, everything in Peter's eyes went blurry, everything except the blue and yellow bracelet on his wrist.