There's Too Much Green To Feel Blue

My Love Don't Cost A Thing

Peter was woken up the next morning eight again by his darling daughter. This time Lily didn't bother calling him first. She just jumped onto the bed and landed on Peter's stomach. Peter's eyes flew open and he let out an 'oof!'
"Daddy, what's that?" Lily pointed at the frame in his hand while Peter coughed and gasped for air over the edge of the bed.
Peter had stripped himself on his clothes the night before and gone to bed hugging the new frame for dear life.
When Peter recovered, he pulled the blanket over his underpants, handed the frame to his daughter and brought her closer.
"That's mommy and daddy." Peter said.
Lily held the frame in her small hands.
"Mommy." she whispered touching the part of the picture where her mother was.
Peter sucked in his lips and swallowed down his heart break. "Let's eat something." he said.
"Yes." Lily placed the frame on the bed.
She jumped off the bed and ran to the kitchen. Peter threw on a pair of jeans, flip flops and the white shirt from the night before.
He fixed two bowls of fruits, dressed Lily in a cute green dress and they ate their food on the couch while watching Sunday morning cartoons, which he and Lily both hated. Peter kept glancing over at Lily every few seconds. His daughter was the very center of his life. He never thought he could love anything more than Hash and then Lily came along. Everything was so perfect about her, her small arms, her little legs, her round face. It didn't matter what Lily did, she always looked like the very definiton of adorable. Even now with her green summer dress, her pink sandals and two pigtails, Peter just wanted to eat her up.
Pete put his bowl on the coffee table, placed his hands on Lily's ribs and tickled her.
"Oh, no, the tickle monster came back!" he cried.
"No, no!" Lily cried out, laughing.
She fell back against the couch, Peter took advantage of that. He got on his knees and tickled her more.
"No, daddy, no!" Lily cried.
"It's not me, it's the tickle monster!" Peter said.
"No, it's you, it's you!" she squealed with delight.
He tickled her a little more and then stopped. "Do you need to go to the restroom?"
"Yes." she said.
"Okay, go." he helped her off the couch and she ran to the bathroom.
When she came out, Peter took one look at her and wanted to show her off.
"Want to go shopping?" he asked.
She gasped, "Yes!" she said.
"Ha, ha! You're just like your mother!"
That comment had slipped out and although it stung him, he grabbed Lily's hand and they set off.
He didn't feel like driving, so they went in a cab deeper into the city where there were streets made up of stores. In the first store, they had an outside display of sunglasses. Peter stopped to try some white rimmed ones on. Lily picked up some just like his and tried them.
An hour after they were in and out of stores, they stopped at the corner where there was a man selling frozen chocolate covered bananas. He bought two, kneeled down and presented one to his daughter.
"Now, I know it's too early for chocolate, but," he pinched her cheek, "you just look too cute today."
Lily smiled and she took the banana on a stick. Within three hours, Peter was carrying two shopping bags and Lily was carrying a small pink purse Peter bought for her.
"How about we just go to the supermarket and then we go home?" he asked.
Lily pulled her lollipop from her mouth, "Yes." she agreed.
They walked to the very end of the street and entered the store. Peter grabbed a cart and placed his daughter in the child seat. He pushed the cart down an aisle that contained nothing healthy.
"So, what do you think we should buy to snack on?" he asked pulling off his sunglasses, clipping them to his v-neck and picking up a box of popcorn.
Lily put her sunglasses in her purse and watched her dad. Both were very oblivious to the fact that each passing woman was staring at Peter and Lily with interest. Peter put the popcorn in the cart and moved onto the chips and cookies. He studied the cookies for a minute.
"What do you think, Lily, marshmallow or peanut butter?"
Lily didn't answer. Peter turned. There was a girl about his age next to the cart, staring at her.
"Is she your daughter?" she asked.
"Yeah." Peter grinned.
"She is so cute!" she gushed.
"Say hi to the nice girl." Peter encouraged.
Lily smiled and put her hands over her face.
"Aw, she's shy." Peter said.
The girl smiled at Peter and walked away. She glanced back at him and before she disappeared.
He turned to Lily, "You were so faking!" he said.
Lily grinned, "Yes!" she said.
"My girl shy, that's crazy!" he laughed, "That's crazy and preposterous!"
Lily laughed at the funny tone Peter spoke in. Peter grabbed both packages of cookies, "Crazy and preposterous!"
Lily giggled, "Per-perposperes!"
"Yes, perposperes!" Pete said as he pushed the cart, "All right, it's time to go boring and buy some healthy things, come on."
He pushed the cart, then paused when he saw the cake mixes.
"I'm gonna try for a cake," Peter said grabbing a strawberry cake box.
"What do you think? Feelin' fruity?"
"Fruity, fruity!" Lily said.
"All right. Now let's go buy boring food."

---------------------------------------------------------

Sam walked in the next morning wearing a yellow shirt and jeans.
"Yo, yo, yo!" she greeted.
Peter was bright eyed and in a good mood.
"Did you dress in a hurry?" he asked looking at her feet.
She was wearing converse but her left one was yellow and her right one was green.
"Glass houses, baby." she said.
"You want to try my cake?" he pulled out a pink and black mound on a plate.
"Ugh, that's a cake?" Sam said making a face.
"Oh, come on, it doesn't look that bad." he said.
"Are you kidding? Don't feed me that. I'll die if I eat that."
"I think it looks...okay." Peter said.
"It looks hideous!" Sam said.
"You look hideous!" Peter shot.
"No, I don't!" Sam grabbed a dirty pan from a pile on the counter, looked at herself in it and let out a small scream, "I stand corrected." she said.
She sat at the counter, put her chin in her hand and smiled, "Why are you in such a good mood today, Mr. Grumpy Bunny?"
"I got to spend an entire weekend with my daughter." he grinned.
"Don't you always spend time with your daughter?" Sam asked.
"Well, yeah, but not like yesterday, not really." Peter said, "I'm always with her but I haven't had as much fun as I did yesterday in a long time. I'm always working and when I'm not, I'm cleaning the house or something."
"You and you're daughter are close, I know that much." Sam said.
"Daddy!" Lily called from her room.
"Speaking of," Peter said. He turned his head and called out, "Lily, come see who's here!"
Lily came running, "Sam!" she cried.
"Lily!" Sam slid off her seat as Lily jumped on her. Sam caught her and Lily hugged her.
"Are you going to stay with me today?" Lily asked.
"Yeah, girlie." Sam said.
"Come on, Lily, let's get you dressed." Peter said.
"No, I'll get her dressed. You get yourself dressed." Sam took Lily to her room.
Peter grabbed his work clothes and was headed to the bathroom when he heard a shriek and a crash. He ran to Lily's room and found Lily's closet door open and Sam in front of it half buried underneath a huge pile of toys.
"Sam?" Peter asked alarmed.
Lily was standing near her bed, fully dressed, and trying not to laugh.
"Sam?" Peter asked again, laughter in his voice.
Sam sat up, brushed toys off her and held up a doll.
"Was this the one you were looking for?" Sam asked Lily.
Lily grinned and nodded. She grabbed the doll and ran away.
"Enjoy." Sam said stonily.
"Sam?" Peter leaned closer.
She suddenly noticed him. Her eyes went wide.
"Peter! Oh, it was horrible, there were Legos everywhere!"
"What happened?" Pete asked.
"Lily wanted a toy. I, being the courteous person that I am..."
Peter grinned.
"I opened the closet and suddenly I'm on the floor."
Peter took her hand and helped her up.
"Wait, what are you doing here? Why aren't you getting ready?" Sam asked not getting up and leaving Peter to just pull.
"Helping you, come on." he pulled again.
Suddenly Sam laughed.
"What?" Peter asked.
"I was buried underneath a pile of toys! How many people can say that?" she laughed.
Peter stopped pulling, "You're weird."
"You're just jealous because I can say that I've been buried underneath a pile of toys and you can't!" Sam said finally allowing him to pull her up.
Peter stayed quiet, "Yeah, you're right." he admitted.
"Ha!" Sam jumped up.
Within 10 minutes, they were at their usual seats: Lily at the coffee table , Pete and Sam on the counter.
"So how was your weekend?" Pete asked.
"I went clubbing Friday and Saturday. On Sunday I went shopping."
"With Will?" Peter asked.
Sam nodded, "With Will," she said, "But I only went shopping with Will."
"I did a little shopping yesterday myself." Pete said swallowing his last bit of food, "I'm sure Lily will show you her new things later." he moved the fork around his empty plate, "Actually, I, I bought you something."
Sam's expression turned to curiosity to disbelief as Peter slid off his stool and picked a shopping bag off the floor. Peter placed the bag on the counter and pulled out a bright pink sweater with black stripes. Sam walked around the counter and Peter presented it to her.
"When I saw it, I thought of you." he said as she accepted the sweater.
Sam examined the sweater in her hands.
Immediately, Peter grew nervous. He started talking fast. "I..I didn't know if you'd like it or not. I just bought it on impulse. I didn't stop to think if you would like it or not or if it was even your size or your style..."
Sam brought the sweater close to her chest and smiled at Peter's chattering.
"...you probably think I'm an idiot that goes around throwing money.."
Sam smiled wider, stepped closer to Peter, holding her sweater close and embraced him.
Peter's stuttering stopped. Surprised, he hugged her back.
"I love it." she said simply when she pulled away, "Thank you. See? That wasn't so bad, was it?" she said lightly pushing him, "Silly, shy boy."
Relieved, Peter grinned. He reached into the bag and pulled out two sheets of rub on tattoos. "The sweater came with these--"
Sam grabbed them, "Ooh, I love them! These'll be put to use right away. Aw, Peter, you don't know me and, yet, you know me." she examined the tattoos, "But, Peter, why did you really buy me these?"
Once again, Peter was surprised by how nothing seemed to go by Sam.
Peter lowered his head, embarassed, "I just wanted to..to thank you for..for the other night when...when I.."
"Oh, hon, you don't have to buy me things or anything for that." Sam said picking his head up and placing her hand on his shoulder, "That's what friends do, I'm here for you if you need me."
"Even if I fire you?" Peter said trying to lighten the mood that had suddenly taken over.
Sam seemed to notice. She rolled her eyes, crossed her arms and sighed, "Yes, even if you fire me." she smiled and shoved his arm playfully, "Way to ruin the tender moment!"
Peter grinned.
"Go to work, moneymaker." Sam said gesturing with her head to the clock on the wall.
He groaned, "All right."
He got dressed, said his good-byes and left.