Status: On haitus

Whatever It Is

Chapter Four

Hazel saw Carlos sweating and coughing up a storm over the toilet, so she walked over to him and helped him get his jacket off.

“Can you help me with my shirt?” He asked, voice gravelly. Hazel obliged, since there was no cockiness to his tone. Carlos turned to the side so she could unbutton his shirt and he’d still have his head over the toilet if the need to use it should resurface.

Hazel pulled off his shirt and also grabbed the tank top he was wearing underneath, leaving him shirtless. She tossed the clothes outside the bathroom neatly and went back to the sink, wetting a small towel. She sat down on the edge of the bathtub next to the toilet Carlos was currently heaving into and pressed the towel against the back of his neck.

Carlos shivered at the contact, but relished it as well. It felt good against his burning skin, but then he felt something that made him hot all over again. Hazel was running his hands along his back, kneading his shoulders every once in a while. He groaned lightly, his throat burning.

Carlos felt her get up and walk around him, and heard her turn the sink on. Moments later a small plastic cup was thrust in front of his face, and as he gulped it down he felt Hazel sprinkle water onto his back.

He had no idea how she knew exactly what he needed, but his head was spinning too fast for him to ask. Regardless, he was thankful. A few moments later he pushed himself up, knowing he was done puking his brains out. He stumbled over to the sink, feeling his skin burn up where Hazel’s hands landed on his body to steady him.

Carlos splashed water on his face, and then rinsed his mouth with mouthwash. He stumbled backwards away from the sink, and Hazel led him back over to his bed.

“I’m going to take off your pants. And I swear to God, one comment from you and-”

“I won’t say I word,” Carlos mumbled, eyes shut. Hazel undid his pants and pulled them off, leaving Carlos in just his boxers.

Hazel tore her eyes away from Carlos’ toned body, walking into the bathroom and filling a cup of water for him. She also grabbed two aspirin, setting everything on the table by his bed. She went to walk away, but Carlos’ arm shot out of nowhere and he grabbed her wrist.

“You should stay,” Carlos murmured.

“What?” Hazel asked, raising any eyebrow at him.

“You shouldn’t walk home at this time of night, and I’m not letting you drive my truck, so just stay,” he told her.

“As if you could stop me from taking your truck anyways,” Hazel scoffed. Carlos glared at her, but he didn’t let up.

“Please just stay. I’ll feel better,” Carlos said. Hazel could tell that the more sober he became, the nicer Carlos got as well. She nodded at him, but had no intention of actually staying. She’d wait until he conked out, and then she was gone.

Carlos let go of Hazel’s wrist and turned over, trying to get comfortable. Hazel walked out into the living room, flipping on the TV. About ten minutes later she felt her eyelids get heavy, and that’s when she knew she should leave. She stood from the couch and turned around after shutting the TV off, only to crash into Carlos himself. His hands rested on her hips, holding her still.

“Uh. Wow. What are you doing up?” She asked him, trying to not look at his body.

“You’re not leaving, are you?” He quizzed, ignoring her question.

“Uh, no. I was just…going to the bathroom,” she answered.

“Look, if you’re Hell bent on going home, let me at least get you a cab,” he said. Hazel didn’t want to spend money on a cab, and she also didn’t want Carlos to spend money on her.

“I’m staying, I swear. I really was just going to the washroom,” she lied. Carlos nodded, releasing her.

Hazel scurried off into the bathroom, deciding she could stay the night and just leave early in the morning. When she walked back out, she saw Carlos sitting on the couch, watching TV and drinking a beer.

“Are you serious?” She asked him, snatching the beer away. “You are going to get alcohol poisoning or something.”

“I am not,” Carlos dismissed, reaching toward her for his drink. She rolled her eyes at him and went into the kitchen, pouring it out.

“You’re an idiot,” she mumbled, coming back into the room. Carlos just shot her a glare, and they both sat next to each other on the couch watching TV angrily.

It wasn’t long before Hazel started feeling drowsy again, and soon she slipped into a deep sleep.

***

Anne woke up to sun shining on her face, and upon glancing around she realized she was on the floor in her and Gordon’s living room. In one hand she held a Playstation remote, causing her to smile a bit when she remembered that’s what they fell asleep doing.

Sure enough, she looked to the side and saw Gordon sleeping right next to her with the other controller. The game was still on, although it was on some screen that just kept looping the same music over and over, as if knowing it had been abandoned.

Both of them were propped up on pillows and couch cushions, and Anne vaguely remembered Gordon throwing a blanket over them during the course of the game.

She sat up a little farther, and the commotion caused Gordon to stir as well.

“Morning,” Anne greeted.

“Morning,” Gordon smiled, rubbing a hand over his face and sitting up. “What time is it?” Anne looked over at a clock, and the time read 10:23.

The two decided to freshen up and make breakfast, so while Gordon was in the shower Anne went into the kitchen and began bringing out ingredients. As she waited for Gordon to finish up, she texted Hazel to see that she got home okay.

Hazel woke up when she heard her phone go off, but when she went to move, she found herself unable to do so. She opened her eyes, seeing the back of the couch right in front of her. Okay, so she had slept on the couch. Why wasn’t she able to-

Suddenly she felt hot breath at her ear, and an arm tighten around her waist. That’s when last night’s events with Carlos flooded her mind. Had they both fallen asleep together on the couch? They must have. Hazel tried to turn her head, but all that did was make her more aware of Carlos’ handsome face.

His eyebrows were knit together, making him look frustrated even in his sleep. She pitied him in a way, with him being so serious all the time.

Hazel moved again, trying to get up. Carlos woke up as well, his eyes quickly squeezing back shut tightly.

“So bright,” he muttered, burying his face into Hazel’s neck. Suddenly he froze.

Who the heck was this girl? He couldn’t remember. He did know he was in his apartment though; he recognized his couch.

First of all, he rarely went back to his own place with girls, especially since he wasn’t looking for long term things.

Second of all, why were they on his couch?

He squinted one eye open, seeing a pretty brunette waiting for him to get up. He groaned and pulled his body into a sitting position, and he felt the couch shift as she got up. He rested his elbows on his knees and put his head in his hands, trying to ease the already present pain in his head. He was hung-over, but he didn’t even remember drinking last night.

He tried to think about the last thing he could remember, which was losing the game yesterday.

Well, that was good enough reason to drink, he figured.

All of a sudden the girl was in front of him again, holding out two aspirin and a cup of water. He grabbed the pills and shoved them into his mouth immediately, gulping the water down as well. He closed his eyes, still trying to shield them from the brightness of the room, and took a deep breath.

Carlos suddenly felt fingers rub his temples, and his eyes shot open to look at the girl. When her thumbs came around and ran over his eyebrows, he couldn’t stop his eyes from fluttering shut once more. Her hands traveled around Carlos’ head and she ran her fingers through his hair.

She couldn’t have possibly known that that had always drove him wild, and he couldn’t help but let his head drop. Only, it didn’t drop all the way, due to the girl being so close to him. Instead, his forehead rested against her stomach. She didn’t stop massaging his scalp, so Carlos figured she didn’t mind.

Her hands went to the base of his neck, still toying with his hairline, and Carlos let out a small groan. It was the first time in six months he had felt any kind of stress being lifted away, despite his efforts of trying other ways.

AKA having sex.

His shoulders were next, and Carlos reflexively put his hands on the back of her legs. He didn’t know if it was because he wanted her closer or because he didn’t want her to stop what she was doing. A few moments later his phone started ringing, prompting the massage to end.

When Carlos opened his eyes she had already walked away, so he sighed and got up to get his phone.

“Hello?” He answered, seeing the girl grabbing her belongings.

“Hey Carlos,” Gordon greeted.

“Hey. What’s up?”

“Just calling to make sure you’re alive,” he joked.

“Yeah, I’m alive,” Carlos replied, his eyes still watching the girl in his apartment. She was texting on her phone, oblivious that he was looking at her.

“Anne is making a big breakfast,” Gordon informed. “Why don’t you come on over?”

“Sure. Lemme shower and I’ll be right over,” Carlos agreed, never one to turn down a home cooked meal. The two men finished talking and Carlos hung up his phone.

“So, I guess I’m going to go,” she said.

“Wait,” Carlos beckoned. “Give me fifteen minutes.”

Hazel furrowed her eyebrows at him, but he had already ran off into his room so she wasn’t able to protest. True to his word, fifteen minutes later Carlos came back out, showered and dressed.

It was obvious that she had taken care of his drunken self last night, and she had taken care of his hung-over self this morning, so the least he could do was provide breakfast. No, he wasn’t cooking it, but it was a nice gesture anyways, right?

“I live right around here, you don’t have to drive me home,” she assured. Carlos raised his eyebrow at her strong southern accent, but he brushed it off almost immediately.

“I’m not,” he denied. “Come on.” Carlos grabbed his bag and opened his front door, motioning for her to walk out.

Hazel passed by him skeptically, pretty sure that he didn’t remember last night at all.

Did he even remember who she was?

It wasn't likely.
♠ ♠ ♠
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v323/61/115/811524588/n811524588_727883_4055.jpg

Image provided by Lyss, since my internet was being balls. MUCH LOVE!

She's the Mauer to my Morneau.

Comments please! I know it's a baseball story, but I only got THREE comments on the last chapter. I've already got a lot of it written, so I'm still going to post regardless of the number of comments, but they are still greatly appreciated! =)