Status: Hiatus. I just don't have any drive to finish this sucker. Sorry guys.

Rich Man

Expectations

Two days had passed since I awoke in Patrice's bed. It had been approximately equal time since we last had a serious rendezvous and had the chance to talk. My high stress was beginning to get the best of me, but I forced myself to remain true to my own knowledge and play it calm, play it safe. I found that relying on my classic journal methods did the calming trick. The more I read through my own writing, the more I found solace within its artificial commentary.

I was given even more comfort based on the information Jeremy had sent me, a boy I had helped no more than a year ago. He had run across a scheme to blackmail him by some unhappy fellow employees at an old company whose goal, ironically for me, was identity security. Young Jeremy enlisted my help because, firstly, I was the reference of one of his buddies whom I had experience with. He believed that I was simply a tool to keep his spirits up and his will from breaking, all psychologically, until he realized that I was befriending and crushing the very malice of his conniving coworkers. He didn't understand my hands-on methods, at first, but my high price all made sense once his nay-sayers were disposed of.

After successfully creating a war between a group that once co-conspired against Jeremy, I accepted my payment and moved on. Not only did he carry on with his work with a completely different corporation, but his hacking skills were ever so sharp. Hence why I enlisted his help.

I was thrilled to find myself out in the early morning, sipping a cup of coffee on the patio of a quaint little coffee shop in town, when a young man swooped in upon the seat across from me. The small two-person table rocked as he settled in his seat, briefcase at his side. He moved the dark leather to his lap and then to the table top, watching as I eyed him. The smug smile on my face gave my identity clean away to him, but that was all a part of the plan.

"Amanda, it's been so long." he greeted, a friendly smile adorning a face clearly meant for masking his everything. This carrier pigeon was experienced by the look of him. Even the silky texture of his voice was sly enough to give him away.

"Mr. Smith," I greeted, spitting out a false name, "How kind of you to see an old friend on such short notice."

"Yes, I should say the same to you. Had Jeremy told me how beautiful you've become in the last few years, I'd have brought you even more pictures of the old gang." All at once, the stranger had unlocked his briefcase. From its contents he pulled a large manilla file, which he promptly handed me. Upon completely his visual inspection of the surrounding area, he cut the charade crap I was so boredly putting up with. There were only three others outside and they were barely within earshot.

"All seven?" I questioned simply, flicking the manilla folder and riding to my feet.

He nodded. "They're all there. There's a lot to go through, but Jeremy did you a favor by taking out the meaningless 'hello's'. You'll have a little less to read through. Just, one thing..."

"Yes?"

He gave me a stern look before waving a waitress over. Before she could arrive, his parting words in my stead were, "Be careful with what you're using that for. Jeremy didn't tell me anything, but I know how you helped him. If you're trying the same kind of thing, just be careful. Your luck will eventually run out sometime, y'know?"

I waved him off, turning my back and beginning to walk away. "You don't need luck when you know you're going to win."

----------

Drink in hand, I leaned back into the arm of the couch I was occupying. It took one sip of my jungle juice to settle me into place, eyes scanning every face, every body that wound and laughed and turned throughout the room. Patrice was stationed in another room, likely with the birthday boy himself, who had opened up his home to the entire team and friends. While the boys struggled on the eve of their off day to keep from drinking too much, it was easy to tell that many of them were losing the battle.

Blake, meanwhile, had wandered past me and out to the backyard, peeking my interest as he ducked away with phone at hand. For the briefest second I debated on cautioning Patrice to the possibility of our plans being forced into ignition now, but I found myself cursing under my breath and taking a long swig of my drink. There was no need to take rash action when I had my own agenda in place.

I mentally doubled back to my rewritten scheme from only hours prior. I had left Lex's abode with newfound knowledge, groundbreaking in nature. One could say it was the final nail in the proverbial coffin for my dear old friend, but the situation would not be over until that information was put to its good use.

I chuckled, rising to my feet.

Blake had nearly evaded me when I emerged at the side of Shawn's pool. A few unfamiliar faces dotted the poolside, occupying lawn chairs with drinks at hand. They paid me no mind as I swayed in tow to Blake, who ducked into the pool house. He was about to close the door behind him and my hand stopped its slide to allow myself in. The boy's eyes widened when I allowed the door to slip shut behind me.

"How's it hangin', Blakey?" my brow rose at the drop of his name. He's obviously distracted. Why he's in here alone is the question. Phone call maybe. Or he wants to get away. I know he's naive to the situation, but I can't risk letting complete knowledge of him slip now. And I need to know...

"I'm tired," he grumbled, sitting on the side of the queen size bed that took up most of the duel guest room. "I mean I get that it's Shawn's birthday and I hate to be the one guy who's out of it, but..."

I shrugged, finding myself a solid spot on the floor to sit cross-legged on. Taking my jacket off, I made myself comfortable and cocked my head to the side. "But... You're not in the mood to get shitfaced. Why?"

The boy blinked a few times, clearly not sure how to answer. "I guess I'm just tired..."

"Well I know that, but it's what you're tired of that's confusing."

"How do you know it's not 'cause of the game and travel?" he asked, brow furrowing.

I half smiled, "Blake, you should know by now how far I read into things. Are you okay? I'm just worried about you, is the thing. You've just seemed so off lately... Is everything okay with... Y'know... Tera?"

All at once, he flopped backward onto the bed. By the way his elbows arched overhead, his hands were likely rubbing his face. "She's got work, so I don't really know. And she's been kind of moody lately, but otherwise fine, I guess. She's not the source of my problems, though, well... Directly. I just feel bad keeping seeing her such a huge secret. I used to like this running around thing, but now..."

"You know if you want a real relationship, you've got one waiting for you," I ushered quietly, as if lost in my own train of thought. Before he could say a word, I continue, "Your fake girlfriend cares a hell of a lot about you, y'know. And from my experiences, girls like Tera... These relationships... They're fun to have but Blake, you could do worlds better. You know I'm not judging you, either, it's just... Well, it's an observation. You're not happy."

"I'm just not ready to lose that rush," he replied softly, "And don't judge me for--"

"Honey, I've dealt with men who sleep with a different girl literally every night because they don't know what they want. How can I judge you when you're perfectly on the road to finding exactly what you want and falling right into place?"

"You really think?" he whispered weakly, "And... What about Lex? I mean... I'm not hurting her, am I?"

"Not at all. She's confused too, kid."

"Wait, how's she confused? Fuck, she doesn't have feelings for me, does she?"

I shook my head, chuckling. "Relax. Her confusion stems not from feelings for you, but feelings about you."

"Uh.... What?"

"She doesn't know if she has feelings for you or if she should just shut up and preserve your friendship with all she has," I dropped with the raise of a brow. "She cares a lot about you, but there's not a lot of sense in ruining the way you see her should she act upon the mere possibility that she could have feelings for you. She's confused." I paused for a long while, watching as he sat back up and blinked hard, as if to clear his thoughts and take in my words for optimum understanding.

"You really think... I'm changing?"

"You're getting there," I shrugged, "For now I say you stop worrying so much and just focus on playing some hockey and being happy. There's no reason to angst over things in progress. When's the next time Tera's gonna be around?"

He shrugged. "Not for at least a week. Maybe a week and a half. There's this DJ everyone, including her, really likes that'll be throwing a party in town the week after next. I'll likely steal off with her for a little bit while everyone is distracted there, if I can manage... I just... If Lex is hurt, I don't know how much longer I can keep this up. The running around... I mean... I've been talking to Matt. He knows, as of like a week ago that me and Tera are seeing each other. He doesn't know about the sex or anything. Just knows we've hung out and are on better terms."

I nodded, banking the thought and watched him carefully. "I would hope you know what you're doing then," I commented sharply, "Just remember the way everyone else feels about her... I probably won't be around a lot longer if drama goes down, anyway, so you're not exactly going to have me as a mediator."

"Wait, you're leaving?"

"That's privileged info," I added quickly. He nodded. "I've overstayed my welcome. I love you guys, believe me I do, but I need to get back to my life back home."

"You miss your real friends and stuff, right..." he nodded, genuinely put off by my statements. The boy's features dropped, eyes trained on my face curiously. "When do you think you'll leave?"

"Not too sure. I'll stay two weeks at most."

"Think you'll come back anytime soon?"

Pausing, I struggled to find adequate words. "I would hope to, eventually, and in many ways I can see myself here, but I really can't be too sure where the winds will move me next and where work will come calling. The world works in strange ways that way, I suppose." Sitting up, I rose to my feet. Blake watched intently, head cocked to the side as his curious, almost disheartened gaze warmed my bones with signs that maybe he cared I planned on leaving. But I knew all too well the necessity of my disappearance, same as I knew that I had the information I needed from the boy before me. It was time to relay a piece of the puzzle to Patrice.

I bid Blake a goodnight when he made no move to stand. He watched with a small smile and nod as I waved him off and exited the pool house, make a B-Line for the scruffy-looking target of the words on my lips. Patrice lingered near the stairs, reddened cheeks and soft grin aglow beneath the low party lights. He had seen me coming with just enough time to excuse himself, blinking as I blankly nodded. I walked passed him, straight up the stairs, and ducked into the nearest vacant bedroom. The boy followed behind me a closed the door when he entered.

"What's up?" he asked simply, setting his drink down and leaning against the back of the door.

"Winrey's likely going to try to make nice with Matt. We're going to stop her before that can even begin happening," I stated simply.

Patrice's brow narrowed. "Are you suggesting we have everyone prepared in just over a week?"

Smirking, I turned away from him. "Exactly."

"How the hell are we going to prep everyone for something like that?"

"Relax, kid... We already have."
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay! I updated. And I passed my first college final. : )

Comment?