My Best Friend

Where we began...

The car ride home from Chuck E. Cheese’s was surprisingly even more awkward than the making-out thing. Spencer sat next to Ryan, blasting the radio. Ryan drove straight ahead, but you could tell he wasn’t paying attention at the road from the amount of honks he was getting.

Ryan tapped his fingers on the wheel with the beat, until he realised he was slower than the Blink 182 song currently blasting. Then he simply resorted to clenching and unclenching his hands on the steering wheel, until he realised that this made him lose control of the steering wheel. Finally, he just looked at the road.

He was an asshole. He was an idiot. He was a jerk. How could he do this to the band? To Spencer? To Brendon? To Jon? How could he do this at all? Ryan hung in his cloud of anguish.

Spencer stared. And stared. And stared. He tried to focus on the pavement; he tried to focus on the strip-malls and stores. He tried to focus on anything that wasn’t Ryan’s thin lips pressing against his in a mixture of love and lust. Needless to say, it didn’t work.

In the other car, Brendon was giggling and Jon was attempting not to strangle Brendon because if there was one thing that just got to Jon, it would be Brendon’s giggles. There was nothing funny about a sign that said “Jon’s Plumbing Co.” Still, Brendon giggled, repeating to himself, “JON! PLUMBER! HA! HA! HA!” His pink, thick lips were covered in saliva as he rolled in his seat, buckled in.

Soon enough, they reached the house. Spencer went straight to the television room and turned on a movie, while the others said something about being to tired and hungry to watch it, so Jon volunteered to drive and get something other than pizza for dinner. Brendon came along with him for the ride.

That left Spencer and Ryan, sitting uncomfortably close on the couch while Spencer watched My Girl again.

“I don’t get why you like this so much… it’s so depressing,” Ryan said, his thigh pressing against Spencer’s.

“I can relate.” Spencer chewed on his lip. He was always jealous of Brendon’s lips; Brendon had thick, pillow-like lips, while Spencer had thin ones. Maybe that was why Ryan liked Brendon so much…

“How?” Ryan cocked his eyebrow, watching the girl in the movie cry and scream and cry some more.

“I lost my best friend, too. Ryan, I lost you,” Spencer blurted out.