My Best Friend

Sit Tight

"Spencer..." Ryan whispered in Spencer's ear, his warm breath tickling Spencer's skin.

Spencer smiled in his sleep, dreaming of Ryan. Not that Ryan knew.

"Spencer..." Ryan whispered again. Spencer refused to open his eyes; to wake up from this lovely dream.

"God damnit, just wake him up already!" Brendon was rolling his eyes, yelling at Ryan. Spencer woke up for that.

"Shit guys, why did you have to wake me?" Spencer said, rubbing his eyes. He was sprawled out on the couch, his eyes red and dry.

"Spence, why were you crying?" Ryan asked, sitting on the couch, caressing the back of his former best friend.

Spencer gasped. "Er... no reason," he said, evading the question. Jon entered the room, looked around, and then walked out.

Every time, he thought, they are so oblivious!

Brendon called a reluctant Jon back into the room, so they could start practice. Spencer kept the beat, concentrating on nothing else, until Ryan started to sing.

"Spencer," Brendon said. Everyone stopped playing their instruments. "Yes," Spencer answered, toying with his drumstick.

"Why did you stop playing?"

Oh. They had noticed that. Fuck, fuck, fuck. Stupid Ryan, Spencer thought, no, Ryan's anything besides stupid. He's a genuis.

"Earth to Spencer..." Ryan's voice woke Spencer from his deep thought.

"Umm... err... yeah..." Spencer stuttered, "I just er... thought um... we needed to... do a different chorus for that one song."

Ryan looked hurt. That "song" was Ryan's favorite, the one he had worked on for YEARS, not telling anyone.

That song was about Spencer.