My Best Friend

Boys will be boys

Spencer walked into the kitchen, but left almost straight away. Probably didn’t know what to do, left Brendon to comfort Ryan, because he was already there. This made Ryan snivel more, and then sit up straighter; claim he was fine. Maybe he was a bit embarrassed that he was so emotional over whatever it was. He wouldn’t tell, so Brendon didn’t ask again.

If it was one thing Brendon knew, it was when to back off. He hated seeing his friend so sad, and he didn’t want to bother matters. He accepted that Ryan was fine, even though he wasn’t, and left him be. Spencer ventured back into the kitchen to get a drink.

Ryan smiled apologetically at him, Spencer smiled warmly back. They sat together to drink. The kitchen was turning into Ryan’s place to sit. He’d make sure he sat in the other room next. Soon Jon came in, got a drink and sat and chatted with them, then Brendon.

“Why are we all in the kitchen?” asked Brendon suddenly, “We’re like… in the kitchen. And there’s like… no TV or sofas in here!”

They went back to the living room. Brendon and Spencer flopped on the sofa, Jon lay across the armchair and Ryan lay on Brendon and Spencer, his head in Spencer’s lap, his feet overhanging the other end, just as Jon’s were doing over the end of the chair. They kicked each other’s feet.

Brendon turned the TV on, and some adverts came on. He threw the remote at Jon, and it hit him in the ribs. They were all a bit giggly again, and Spencer started poking Ryan in the eye. Then the advert ended, and My Chemical Romance’s song Famous Last Words came on, the one with all the fire.

“Gerard’s a psycho!” giggled Ryan, “His eyes like that, his face… it’s the blonde hair, maybe? He’s such a psycho!”

“Yeah, but he’s a hot psycho!” laughed Spencer, unaware of Ryan’s shocked reaction.

Since when did Spencer fancy guys?