My Best Friend

Stutter Something Profound

Boy was this awkward, thought Spencer. Why did I have to go and blurt that out? I mean, just because he’s always flirting with Brendon. Just because I really want him to be. No, I don’t. He hasn’t answered yet. Why do I keep putting my foot in it?

Ryan frowned at him, before putting all his attention back to the road. He had both hands on the wheel now, and he cleared his throat before stuttering an answer.

“What? Um…gay? Wh- Why- Yeah, I k-kinda, I, I guess so. I ha- hadn’t really… thought… about it.” Damnit Ryan, can’t you even put a sentence together? “Why, why’d you ask?”

Now it was Spencer’s turn to stumble over his words, blushing and looking out the window, choking out an “I don’t know, really” which made Ryan feel just that little bit more confident. The fact that they were both avoiding eye contact did help.

“It’s the whole Brendon thing, isn’t it? Look, Spence,“ Spence looked at him, his nervous eyes met Ryan’s reassuring ones, his friends words sparking a strange feeling of hope, “There’s nothing going on between me and Brendon. Don’t worry. It’s not going to get in the way of the band.”

In the way of the band. Spencer faked a smile, said something about it was cool, he just had silly worries sometimes, and then they were there already. In the way of the band. Ryan could have kicked himself. He’d basically said that he wouldn’t go there with a band mate. There was only one way to pick the conversation back up without making himself look like an idiot.

“So, how about you, Mr Gerard-Is-A-Hot-Psycho?”

“Me? Nah.” Spencer laughed nervously. “I haven’t thought about it, like you said. I don’t think so, anyway!”

They both laughed at this, real laughter, not the nervous kind. The tension slipped away a little with the joke. Ryan grinned and winked at the drummer and said the one joke Spencer had not expected, nor knew how to deal with.

“Well mate, if you ever wanna find out, you know, experiment…”

Luckily, the arrival of Brendon and Jon caused Ryan to turn around right after saying it, so he didn’t see Spencer’s reaction. Was he flirting, or was that good mate-ly banter? He couldn't imagine that being said between Ryan and Brendon, though…
♠ ♠ ♠
I am so sorry about the delay, I totally forgot to write, I had a feeling I already did it, but obviously I didn't. But at least it's here now. I'm so slow at updates and Gabbie's so quick! *sigh* I do my best, I can't do any better.

- Lyddy.