One Sketchbook, Some Romance, And What An Imagination

Dream Message

The boy rose from Lola’s left side. Shaking he stepped towards the painting on the wall.

“I don’t want you to ever leave.” Lola’s voice cracked as she spoke.

The boy turned to smile at her but took another step towards the shadow-filled painting on the wall.

“I won’t.” The boy’s honesty was as clear as the glass dagger hung around his neck. He placed his hand against the dark, shadow-filled painting on the wall and paused. “I love you. I’ll never truly leave.”

Still facing Lola, the boy leant back and fell through the dark, shadow-filled mystical painting on the wall behind him.

“Andy!” The helpless girl screamed, reaching out but finding nothing but air. “You promised!”

Loa sat up in a sweat. It had been so real, so vivid. Frantically, she searched her room for any indication of Andy’s presence. There was none. More than a little confused, she dressed for school in a daze. Most of her morning passed in a daze. On her walk to school, Lola saw no sign of Andy, which, though not unusual, felt unnerving. After Lola arrived in school, she wandered over to where Shelly was sat in their form room.

“Hey you. Do you feel better today?” Shelly asked, honestly caring about the reply.

“No, I feel worse. But it’s school; it’s not supposed to make you feel better.” Lola replied, her eyes stinging. The surge of bitter rejection she had felt when Andy wasn’t there became suddenly unbearable. It overcame Lola’s best defence system. Shelly, shocked but still supportive, pulled Lola into a hug.

“Honey, what is it?”

“Andy left me and he promised he wouldn’t.”

As Shelly tried to make sense of Lola’s ramblings, Miss Standing’s ears were playing haywire in her head. It always happened in the mornings when everyone was speaking; she couldn’t process all the conversation. But two voices normally rang clear of the scrambled noise – Lola and Andy. But Andy was missing and Lola was uncomprehendable. She decided, against the rules listed in her head, to investigate. Miss Standing didn’t even reach the corridor before finding Lola. Shelly was leading her to the art room.

“What’s happened?” Clarissa asked, confused. Lola wasn’t giving any messages away.

“I don’t know.” Shelley explained. “She mentioned someone called Andy and your name I think.”

Shelly couldn’t explain anymore as the loud ring of the bell cut her off.

“Leave her with me. I’ll come find you if I need to, Shelly isn’t it?” Shelly nodded. “Come on Lola. We need to talk.”