This Won't Hurt More Than a Pinch

One Day All Will Know

Standing in front of the apartment that I had called my home just a day before was awkward. I wore a sweatshirt and a pair of Gabe's pants, which were much too long for me. It was weird in so many ways. He was waiting down the hall and I'd call him if I needed him.

My heart was beating out of my chest as I knocked on the door.

"Who is it?" a tired voice called. Devin. But he did sound more tired than upset.

"It's me.." I called, hoping he would notice my voice.

It took awhile for him to get to the door. He was probably contemplating whether to let me in or not. I didn't blame him. He hadn't known a thing about Gabe, about all the times I was unfaithful.

He finally opened the door. Again, he looked more tired than anything. There were purple rings under his eyes from the apparent lack of sleep. It was my fault.

"Mae.." he whispered, giving me a cold, blank stare.

"Devin, I.."

He cut me off. "I'm really glad you came. I didn't know if I'd ever see you again. I just want you to tell me why."

I followed him into the apartment and let out a deep breath. We sat on the couch and he tried to fight back a pained expression, I could see it. All those waisted years..

"I don't want it to sound.. terrible.. but there was someone else," I said simply.

He nodded slowly for a moment or two. I let him take it in.

"You cheated on me?" he asked.

"I.. no Devin. He was there for years before I even met you. He was like this little thing in the back of my mind, and I couldn't let him go.."

He looked over my clothes. "Gabe."

I freezed and my face heated up. "I.. you.. how.. ?"

He grabbed my hand. "When we were first going out you talked about him a few times. Vee brought him up once, and I asked who he was. She said you slept with him, but it was ages ago. I know who he is. And I guess he can give you everything you want any more, being famous," he shrugged and looked away.

"Devin.." I touched his cheek. "Please don't think like that. I love you, I still do."

"Then why did you leave?" he looked back at me, tears in his eyes.

"I didn't want to hurt you in marriage if I still loved someone else. I'm sorry.. but it took me until right before until I knew what I wanted."

"And he's what you want?" he asked.

I nodded, feeling tears flood my eyes. "I'm so sorry."

He pulled me into his arms and I let a few tears fall. Devin would have given me anything - a house, a family - but my love for Gabe just seemed to overpower everything. And I never, ever meant for it to turn out that way. It's just the way things happen I guess.

"I'm just glad you didn't wait until after the wedding," he said.

I broke away from him and nodded. "How are my parents?"

He shrugged. "When I stood there at the altar, waiting and praying you'd appear - but you never did - my whole world kind of came crashing down," he laughed bitterly. "I know my parents were upset but I'm not sure about your parents."

I sighed. "I am so sorry.. this was so hard and I.."

His lips hit mine in a sweet kiss and I kissed him back.

"I just wanted to see if it was the same," he said when our lips broke apart.

"Was it?"

"Yes. I hate you so much MaeKenna Page," he said, sarcasm in his voice.

"I don't want us to be bitter about this. We still can be friends, right?" I asked.

"I'll have to think about it," he said, staring me down again. "Maybe when you don't smell like my replacement."

I sighed and hugged him again. "Is there anything else you want to know?"

He shook his head.

"I'm going to grab some of my clothes. When I get back from my parents I'll get the rest of the stuff, okay?"

He nodded.

I went into the bedroom, changed, and got my purse and a few other things.

"I'll call you sometime," he said and ruffled my hair.

I smiled, nodded, and went to the door.

"I would never stop loving you Devin. Remember that," I explained and left.

Nearly running down the hall, I threw my arms around Gabe and exploded into a pool of tears.

"Do you want to go home?" he asked. "We can save your parents for another day."

I shook my head. "No, I have to get this over with."

He nodded. "And then we'll go home and relax. You need some rest." Gabe smiled at me.

"Are you my father now?" I asked.

He wiped the tears from my face, still smiling softly, and we left the building.
♠ ♠ ♠
wow it's been two weeks since an update?
sorry guys.
I'm a busy person.
Comment.
Subscribe.
yeah.