This Won't Hurt More Than a Pinch

Ghost In Me

I'd never been scared of my house before, but as I walked up the path to my parent's house in Jersey, I felt suddenly afraid. Would they understand or would they be pissed off to no end? They'd spent so much money on me because they'd wanted me to have the perfect wedding..

Gabe stayed outside and I knocked on the door, trying to go over what I would say in every scenario. My mom opened up. She looked distressed and like she'd gotten no sleep.

"Mae!" she threw her arms around me and I stiffened. Maybe this wouldn't be so hard. "Oh God I thought something happened to you. You just left so suddenly and you didn't call anyone.."

"I'm okay mom." I cut her off.

"Come in and tell me what happened!" she cried and pulled me inside.

"Where's dad?" I asked as she closed the door.

"He's at work. He was so worried about you and he needed to keep his mind on other things," she explained as we walked into the living room. "Are you hungry? Thirsty?"

"No mom I.."

"Mae are you okay? Did someone hurt you? Did he.."

I cut her off again. Make this easy. "I didn't love him."

An hour later and we were laughing and crying together on the couch. I'd never had a heart-to-heart with my mom before. Maybe because I believed she couldn't give me advice or she wouldn't understand. But I realized then that she knew more than probably everyone, and she supported me in every way.

Sure, there was the initial shock of how I'd fallen out of love with Devin, but once I explained about Gabe being there even before Devin, she understood. As for the cost of everything, she said not to worry about a thing. She was just happy I hadn't married him and been stuck in something I didn't want and would eventually end in divorce.

I felt bad, having left Gabe outside on the stoop the whole time, so I called him in so my mom could meet him.

"Don't give her an excuse not to like you," I told him quietly as we walked into the living room.

"How could she not like me?" he smirked.

"Mom, this is Gabe," I pushed him forward.

She smiled. "You're so tall!" she said to him. He smiled awkwardly. Oh wow~

"Mrs. Page I um.. I really love your daughter and I'm sorry if I brought any hard feelings to anyone in the family," Gabe explained.

"You'll have to meet my husband but you're good in my book. Anyone that loves and respects my daughter is good in my book," she hugged him and I smiled.

Thank God that's over with.

We had dinner with my mom and took the train back to Manhattan late that night. I was so tired that Gabe had to carry me into the apartment.

"See, that wasn't so bad," he said as I slipped, half-sleeping, into my pajamas.

"I think my mom likes you. That's good," I crawled under the covers and he joined me in bed.

"Anyone else left to tell?" he asked, holding me now.

"No.." I yawned, closing my eyes.

No, nothing to be worried about. Once I caught up on sleep, life would be perfect. Like a fairy tale, almost.

I'd have everything I wanted and more.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry I haven't updated in so long >_>
and this is kind of a crappy update but.. yeah.. I don't feel very much in the writing mood.

comments and subscriptions are great.