Walls

Part 1

I have a fairly simple life.

Eat. Sleep. Work. Drink. Party. Repeat.

It’s a rather monotonous cycle, not that I really care all that much.

I’ve got a simple job and a simple social life. I now work as a waitress, due to my career in art being a total fail. I serve nasty food to people I don’t know, and it makes me enough to pay the rent and fill my stomach. Then my friend Madison drags me to every single party with her. I don’t know why, because I always end up getting wasted, ditching her to hook up with
some random guy that I won’t remember the next morning. I know it's not wise, but the one-night-stands help strengthen the walls I've built up to keep myself from getting hurt again.

That’s a typical day in my life. And today is no exception.

I rode the bus to my apartment after work, due to the fact that my white boat of a Buick was always breaking down and I never had enough cash to fix it. I walked up one flight of stairs and entered. I had moved in here six months ago, and the place still reeked of the previous owner’s smoking habit and horrible taste in design. The apartment looked like a freaking nursing home. The carpet was a dusty pink, matching the bouquet of now dead carnations that I had received from Maddie as a birthday gift two months ago. I had never bothered to trash them. To be honest, I kind of like the look of dead flowers, as depressing as they may be, just a shadow of their past beauty. Maybe we had something in common. I glanced down at the ring on my left hand, a symbol of my bondage.

Don’t even get me started on the wallpaper.

As I was headed into the equally ugly bedroom, the phone rang. I sighed, walked back to the
living room, and picked up.

"Maddie?" It was always either her or the telemarketers.

"The one and only!" She replied.

"What do you want?" I sighed. "Wait! Wait! Let me guess... There's a party."

She let out a fake gasp. "You're psychic."

"No, you're just predictable. Where is it?"

"My place." Maddie was lucky enough to be the only child of a wealthy entrepreneur, and therefore spoiled enough to have an entire house bought for her. No rent, no stench, no nursing home design.

"I'll show up there eventually, okay?" I hung up to get ready.

"Do you really need all of this punch?" I asked Maddie. I knew that nobody was going to be drinking it.

"Yes." She answered in a stubborn tone, brushing her wavy red hair out of her face.

"You're just mad because you spilled it on yourself."

Okay, maybe that was true. I had soaked my brand new white shirt in red punch. Thankfully, Maddie gave me something else to wear. Unfortunately, I wasn't so happy with her choice. Sequin minidresses aren't quite my thing.

"Look! People!" Maddie squealed, jerking me out of my thoughts.

"You sound like you didn't expect anyone." A smirk crept onto my face.
Maddie ignored me to greet the guests, and face after unfamiliar face walked through the door until the house was packed.

After two hours of lousy beer and dancing, somebody approached me.
Faded skinny jeans were all that covered his slender body. A black t-shirt was draped over his shoulder. I couldn't blame him; it was August, and for some reason, Maddie hadn't turned up the air conditioning. A thin red headband held down his wavy brown hair.

"You know," He slurred, "If we were letters of the alphabet, I'd put 'U' and 'I' together.

Anybody with half a brain would realize how incredibly lame that line was, but under the influence, my brain seemed to disappear completely.

As did the two of us, into one of Maddie's guest rooms.
♠ ♠ ♠
I started this a while ago and now I've done it up. :]