Walls

Part 2

I woke up with my platinum hair matted to my face and that hideous sequin dress nowhere to be seen. The smell of pancakes wafted in from Maddie's kitchen. I got up and raided Maddie's closet for some sweatpants and a shirt to throw on, and walked downstairs.

"Good morning, sleepyhead!" Maddie singsonged.

"Ugh, how can you be so freaking upbeat?" I squinted my eyes at the sunlight shining in through the windows.

Maddie smiled smugly. "I drank the punch."

When I arrived home, I popped a few aspirin before noticing that I had two new messages.

"Hello? Hello...."

And

"Hey, um, Felicity? This is Isaac. From that party... I was wondering if you wanted to hang out sometime? Um, yeah. So, uh, call me back or something? Okay. Bye."

I was in shock. How did he know my name? Or my number? How did he even remember me?
I felt sick to my stomach when I realized that I also remembered him. I rushed to the kitchen sink and threw up.

The rest of the week was fairly uneventful. I ate. I slept. I worked. Of course, there was the occasional call from Maddie or message from Isaac. Thank God I was never home when he called.

On Saturday morning, I was rudely awakened by the irritating ring of my phone. I rolled out of bed and answered it. "Maddie. You woke me up."

"You'll live." Maddie said. "Now here's the deal."

"What..."

"I have a friend that's playing a show tonight. And I think you two would be absolutely perfect for each other, so we're gonna go." For months, Maddie had always been trying to play matchmaker for me. Her efforts never got anywhere.

"No we aren't. You are."

"Come on. You need to meet some new guys. Have some fun, move on."

"Absolutely not." I fought to hold back tears. "No. I don't want to meet anybody. I don't need anybody."

The long silence that followed was riddled with unspoken emotion.

Finally Maddie spoke up. "Please. I won't even introduce you to anybody. For the past six months, you only leave your house for work and parties. I just want you to be happy again. Come on, give it a chance. Just this once."

I finally gave in. "Fine. Just this once."