Status: hiatus RIP JAMES OWEN "THE REV" SULLIVAN you will be missed

The Past Never Dies

24

"AHHHHHH!!!!" i woke up again to screaming and i quickly realized the screaming belonged to me. I had a nightmare about some stuff that was too complicated to think about at the moment. I quickly lifted my head and saw that Zacky was not there anymore. Nobody was. It was completely dark now and it was completely still. It was one of those moments you could hear a pin drop on the floor. As my eyes adjusted to the darkness, i could make out a sliver of light coming from the kitchen. I strained to see but then, i heard voices coming from the light.

The voice that was talking i caould make out was Zacky's but who was the other's? His mom? dad? I listened harder and the voice that responded was a female's voice. I strained to hear their whispers. I leaned forward and heard:

"She can't stay here." the female voice said.

"And why not?" Zacky asked.

"Because we don't know her Zachary. I'm not letting a stranger sleep in our house!"

"Oh, come on! I know her! Don't kick her out mom. She's been through a lot tonight." Zacky explained.

"Like what?" she questioned.

"I can't tell you." Zacky whispered. "But she's not in the right frame to be kicked out of our house." he added.

There was a pause and then a sigh. "How do you exactly know her?"

"In school." he said. "She's new but she's cool. And she's trustworthy; she's not gonna steal anything if that's what your worried about. Neither is she gonna hurt anybody."

"Where did you meet her?"

"At lunch. Brian brought her over to meet us. And Matt was the one who showed her around the school yesterday."

"So Brian and Matt know her?"

"All of us do. And techincally Brian and Mischa are sorta dating."

"I'll have to think about it."

Zacky grumbled. "What is there possibly to think about, mom?" he shouted. "I told you everything about her. What else is there to know?"

"There is nothing else to know." she tried to reason. "But i'm just trying to keep you safe."

"From what?" he asked bitterly. "A girl?"

"From you getting hurt." she said soothingly.

"How is Mischa gonna hurt me?" he yelled.

She sighed again. "I don't mean physically hurt you. I mean emotionally. She could play around with your emotions Zack. She could end up hurting you emotionally."

"How? I don't like her! She doesn't like me! She's my friend that's it!" he said getting frustrated.

"Believe me Zack, if she stays here, you'll get attached to her and then she'll leave you heartbroken." she said.

"Right." he muttered.

"I'm sorry but she can't, Zacky." she whispered.

"And why not?!" he yelled. "Admit it mom! This is about dad being gone! Isn't it? This whole attachment lecture was you saying how you felt about dad. Well, guess what? He's not coming back! He'll never come back! So i don't see the problem!"

He stormed out of the kitchen, so that was my cue to close my eyes and pretend i hadn't heard a thing. I layed there until i heard ZAcky come into the living room. He suddenly stopped and i thought i got caught but he sighed instead and paced the room. He paced for a few minutes and then got out his phone. He dialed some number and whoever it was answered shortly.

"Hey, man... no....actually...i was hoping to talk to you about something... yeah it's short... no it's about Mischa...no she's fine. she's asleep on my couch...no i came to her house after detention and some serious shit and stuff went down at her house...yeah it was fucking her parents...no i can't explain it... she'll probably explain it to you later... oh yeah i was hoping if she could go to your house since your parents are gone... no she's still asleep... so can she?... she can?... good... yeah it's my mom...she won't let her. it's about dad...yeah she's still touchy on the fucking subject... i actually yelled at her...I know! I know! but i'm so frustrated and fucking tired of all this shit with her and all she does is worry about me...i know that's what she said also...yeah but i'm tired...she needed to hear it herself though...i feel bad but it felt good getting it off my chest... yeah so thanks again...bye."

He hung up and then i heard him take a seat on the chair next to me. if he knew i was awake he would flip out. He would never of wanted me to hear any of this. He sighed.

I slowly opened my eyes to see if the coast was clear. It was. I opened my eyes fully, and then i sat up and yawned. I stretched to get all the kinks out. i was surprisingly...hyper, and it was murder to sit stilla nd listen to all of that. I stood up and stretched more. I looked at ZAcky he didn't move a muscle. He had his head hung into his hands. His elbows were propped up on his knees. he was completely still.

I hopped up to him and messed up his hair. He slowly lifted his head, and i smiled widely.

"Someone is hyper."

"Yep!" i said and jumped. "Ok well i can't crash here for like any longer so i'll just go." i said and started to make the couch look prettier.

"Go where?" he asked looking at me fully. His eyes were blood shot.

"To a friend's." i said.

"I'm not dumb, Mischa. You don't have any. Your new remember? unless your planning to catch a plane to Atlanta. I know you heard everything."

I sat quietly for a second. He knows? Then i spoke up. "How'd you know i used to live there?" i questioned and looked at him.

"Brian." we said at the same time. We both laughed.

He got serious again. "Am i right?"

"Yes." i sighed and sat back down. "Your smart." i said and pouted.

He laughed. "No. I'm just not stupid and fall for that bullshit." he laughed.

"Yeah, well, i gotta go, i guess." i gathered my backpack which i still had and left. I was debating to cut school tomorrow and find a place to stay but i wasn't sure yet.

Zacky also stood. He helped me outside to my car even though there was nothing to help. He sighed as we stepped outside. He looked up to sky and i saw a clear night with no clouds. It was beautiful. All the stars sparkled brightly and the moon was magnificant. i smiled.

"You like the sky?" he asked.

He surprised me. "Yeah, I guess. I used to always look and watch it all the time with my best friend, Jax in Georgia, but i haven't recently. He'd be disappointed. He liked that stuff. Sunsets. The sky. Always dreaming. people called us twins. we were so much like each other in so many ways." I smiled remembering him.

"That's cool. He sounds like a cool kid."

"He is. He's awesome in his own little way." I smiled wider thinking about us laying in the empty lot looking at the stars. "He kinda reminds me of Ponyboy from The Outsiders." i said.

"Haha yeah. i like that book." Zacky said.

"I love the book. Actually my whole life reminds me of their's to mention it." i said thinking.

We silently waked to my car. "Are you sure you're gonna be okay?" he asked.

"Yeah, i've ran away plenty of times before. Nothing new." I said and swatted my hand. "It's fun and getting away from them is the best feeling in the world! i'm free!" i said and closed my eyes.

"You mean you've done this before?" Zack asked. i opened my eyes. he looked concerned.

"Yeah, tons of times, but somehow, i always go back." i shrugged and smiled. "I don't know why. To see if they're treating Aiden right? i guess."

"Why do you even care about him? he didn't defend you today, and he's your brother!" Zacky said sternly.

"Yeah, i know, but you gotta understand. he can't. he has before. they don't listen. and besides i don't want Aiden to have the life i have to deal with everyday." i sighed and layed my head back. "I wish i could go home."

"Why do you wanna go back to them?!" ZAcky yelled.

"Oh, no! No! not baack there to that hell hole. no! i mean back home to Suwanee. See my friends. my best friends. my family. MAdelyn treated me the same back then there too, but i could deal because i had them to go to. they kept me sane."

"Oh," he said.

I strapped myself and started the car.

"Sorry you can't stay. if i had it my way you could, but it's not my way." he said solemnly.

"Don't worry about it ZAcky. You've done enough. Thanks fro listening and everything. but i gotta go. Your mom doesn't want you to stay out here all night so.."

"Yeah," he was about to turn when he handed me a piece of paper. It had some directions on them. "Here, go to Brian's. His parents aren't home so he'll let you stay. But you already know that because you heard but still."

"Thanks." I smiled.

"I know." he smiled back and said, "Go."

I laughed and closed the door. I waved as i left. he waved back and i left on my way to Brian's.