Status: complete

Tell Me It's Not Too Late

stay like this forever

My eyes trailed over my latest article, this time the big feature article about Joe Mauer that I had been so excited about over a couple months ago. The interview had occurred a month before, a couple weeks after Zach had left Minnesota. It's been so long since I last saw him that my body literally aches for him. I hurt in places I shouldn't, my heart is always heavy, and I can't get through the day if he doesn't call me at least once.

I giggled slightly at a quote from one of Joe's teammates, Michael Cuddyer, talking about how Joe likes to rap. It was hard to picture all-American Joe, literally, rapping to songs in his studio that he had put in his house. I continued giggling until I realized I was laughing at my computer and probably looked like a freak.

I sighed and closed my eyes, hating the burn that came from staring at my computer too long. I had been editing the story for the better part of the hour and I definitely needed a break. I tilted my head back, resting it against my cushioned chair and trying to get myself to relax. I felt the stress slowly melting from my body until a knock was presented at my door and Brian stood, holding up a beautiful bouquet of red roses. I looked down at them and waved him into my office.

"Aw, Bri, you shouldn't have!" I exclaimed, taking them from his hands.

"I know, but I'm just such a classy guy." He shrugged, going along with it.

"Where's my card?" I pouted, my nose scrunching, forming a line across my skin.

"Right here," Brian handed me a long, white envelope, thick enough that I tilted my head in confusion.

"Zach, whatchya doing?" I wondered out loud, knowing no one else would send me flowers so beautiful yet simple. I tore open the envelope, careful not to rip anything inside for fear I wouldn't be able to read it. I flipped open a letter, smiling down at his total guy hand writing before flipping to where a plane ticket was, scheduled to leave for Chicago in four hours. "Zachary!" I exclaimed, flipping back to the note and looking at Brian. He laughed at me, sinking into the chair across from my desk. "I don't have enough time!"

"Read the note," Brian smiled, rolling his eyes.

I shuffled through the papers on my desk, looking for the paper that had Zach's handwriting on it. I found it and leaned back in my chair, my eyes scanning over his words.

Abbie,

I'm really sick of not waking up next to you every morning. I'm sick of not being able to see you and I miss you so much that I'm going to go crazy if I don't see you ASAP. So basically that will be today because you're going to get on a plane and come to Chicago to see me play the Blackhawks. You will not pack your Patrick Kane jersey, you will pack the Zach Parise jersey, and proudly display it all of Chicago. Then, after the game, you will stay in Chicago with me for two days and be so romanced that I'll have you begging to come back to New Jersey with me. Don't worry about packing, Bridezilla's got it covered!

I Love You,
Zach


I grinned down at his signature, signed exactly like he would if he was signing an autograph. I always made fun on him for doing that, his signature so big and loopy, always taking up so much space. He was one of the only hockey players who made sure their autographs were legible for their fans. He was so considerate of others that he was constantly making me swoon. I bit my lip and looked up at Brian.

"I love him so much," I mused, shaking my head and letting out a shaky breath.

"I know. I'm glad you guys are together again. You belong together and I'm praying that you guys end up happy because damn, you deserve that." Brian told me, standing up and walking behind my desk. "Now get that sent in, it's perfect, and get your butt in your car and to the airport!"

"Where's my bag?" I asked him as he placed a kiss on my forehead.

"Trunk with the rest of your dead bodies," he told me to which I rolled my eyes.

"Why am I even friends with you?" I asked, giving him a fake, weird look as he walked down the hall, back to his office.

A huge grin was being emitted from my face the whole time I packed up my stuff, making sure everything was okay. I thought about telling my editor I wouldn't be in the rest of the week, but I had a feeling Brian already had that covered. Pus, my editor didn't care as long as I had my articles in on time. He was only a prick about deadlines as I found out a couple months ago. I grabbed my coat off the back of my door and double checked everything.

"Okay," I whispered to myself, seeing everything the way I wanted it before shutting and locking my office and bidding everyone a good week. I bounced out of the office and into my car, double checking that my luggage was in fact in there, satisfied when I saw the black bag. I climbed into the car, heading to grab some Starbucks before making my way to the airport.

The trip to Chicago was fast and easy, just the way I liked it. I landed there at 2 in the afternoon, walking quickly down the terminal. I got Zach on the phone the minute I entered the airport and patiently waited for him to pick up his phone.

"Hey baby!" He yelled happily to me over the sound of the radio. "Sorry about the noise, Tazer loves his rap." I giggled, knowing he was talking about Jonathan Toews, the Blackhawks captain.

"I just landed and I'm waiting for my bag. Are you coming to get me?" I asked him, noticing the background noise was no long music, but instead talking.

"Yeah, I'm right here," He told me, his hands squeezing my sides and making me squirm.

"Have you ever wondered how awkward that would be if you did that to someone who wasn't me?" I teased him, puckering my lips for a kiss.

"No because I'm not that stupid." He assured me, shaking his head in a cocky way. I let my mouth fall open in shock, trying to hold back the smile that wanted to be presented. His arms were wrapped firmly around my waist, our chests pressed tightly together as our bodies tried to get reacquainted after being apart for so long.

"I missed you so much," I breathed into his chest, my nose pressing into the fabric of his sweatshirt as his arms tightened around me. I squeezed my eyes shut, the warmth of his body surrounding me as I dug my fingers into his back, needing every inch of him pressed against me.

"I missed you too baby," Zach murmured, sighing contently as his fingers raked through my hair, causing my eyes to grow droopy.

"Can I take a nap?" I asked him as we pulled apart and he grabbed my luggage, nodding his head at my question. Our hands laced together immediately as we made our way out of the airport and to the spot where Tazer was parked, his head banging to the music that flowed through his speakers.

"Abbie, right?" He asked to which I nodded, "cool. You can get in but Parise has to walk. Hopefully he won't make it to the UC before the game starts," Jonathan grinned, his eyes sparkling mischievously. Zach gave him a tight smile before rolling his eyes and putting my luggage in the trunk.

Jonathan brought us back to Zach's hotel, the whole ride filled with the boys constantly bickering back and forth about who was going to win tonight. I kept my mouth shut, knowing Zach wouldn't like it very much if I told Jonathan the Hawks were my favorite team. Zach and I shuffled quickly up to his room, barely getting the door shut before our lips were attached. I giggled as Zach lifted me up, throwing me down on the bed and straddling my hips.

"What happened to sleeping?" I yawned, snuggling into one of his legs. He sighed loudly and collapsed onto the bed next to me, tugging on my arm until I rolled into his body.

"Let's stay like this together," Zach murmured, our eyes drifting shut as his fingers trailed lightly over my back, making both of us too tired to stay awake any longer. I nodded into him, softly kissing his chest before resting my head against him, and drifting off in the perfect comfort of his arms.
***

I watched quietly from my seat in the United Center, telling myself not to jump up and clap as Patrick Kane skated by the glass, his white mouth guard hanging from his mouth as him and his teammates lined up to shake hands with the Devils. He just scored the game winning goal in the shoot out and I wanted so bad to jump up with my fellow Hawks fans and scream. But that wouldn't be a good idea since I was first of all, wearing the Zach Parise jersey Krissy packed and second, Zach wouldn't like it very much.

I crossed my legs and stuck my hands under my right knee that was crossed over my left leg. I sighed and bit my lip, watching Zach skate off the ice with a frustrated look on his face. He hated losing because he was such a competitor but at least he had the ability to let it go. He would be fine in an hour when we were together and I took his mind off the game.

I took my time walking down to the locker room since I knew Zach had media stuff he had to do. My heels clicked against the concrete floors of the arena as I stood outside of the visitor's locker room, the only person around besides the Devils personnel. I slid down the wall, occupying my time by dinking around on my iPhone. I found myself on facebook, checking out the latest bumper stickers and giggling at them.

I looked up as a couple people exited the locker room door, their black, leather shoes stopping in front of me. I smiled at Zach and Travis as they continued talking, Zach reaching his hand down for me to grab before he pulled me up and into his side. I wrapped my arms around him, standing on my tip toes and kissing his cheek, giggling as he tried to stay focused on Travis.

"Good game, baby," I cooed to him, knowing if I talked softer with him he wouldn't lash out. I could feel each of his muscles uncoil as I ran my hands over his back and up his arms, trying to soothe him into relaxing.

"Thanks," he tilted his mouth into a small smile and I pouted up at him, resting my chin against his chest as he pulled me to his front so that I was now in between him and Travis.

"Are you guys coming to the hotel with us?" Travis asked as more of their teammates spilled into the hallway, heading out to the team bus.

"No, I've got some transportation," Zach assured him, smiling down at me. "You ready darling?" He drawled at me, making me grin up at him.

"Mhm," I murmured to him, waving goodbye as we headed in the other direction, towards the Chicago locker room. Jonathan Toews stood outside of the locker room, talking to a stunning blonde with a beautiful smile. Toews threw a set of keys at Zach telling him to take care of his baby before Zach pulled me to the left, exiting through a door and into a parking lot filled with expensive cars.

"Tazer's letting me use his car," Zach told me, coming to a Chevy Tahoe with shiny, black paint.

"Hot ride,"I giggled as I hopped in.

"I know, it's not my Audi but he got this for free," Zach shrugged, starting the car, "it's a pussy car if you ask me." I laughed as he adjusted the seat and mirrors since Jonathan had a good couple inches on his in height. "Stop it." Zach pouted at me, backing out of the parking spot and heading in a random direction.

I had never been to Chicago before so I was immediately lost as Zach drove around the city, pointing out random things to me. I took in the beauty of Chicago, appreciating the breathtaking landscape and the city lights that twinkled like stars in the sky. Traffic was relatively light as we pulled into the parking lot of an Italian restaurant that Zach had insisted had the best spaghetti in the Midwest.

"So how's work?" He asked me when we had been seated and had already put our orders in, obviously spaghetti.

"It's kind of slow right now since I only cover Gopher hockey. I rarely have anything to do during the week since I keep getting the bigger articles. So I mostly sit around and play solitaire on my computer. I'm living the fricking dream!" I exclaimed, pumping my fist at the end. Zach grinned at me, his adorable laugh escaping his parted lips.

"You should pick a different team to cover," Zach suggested innocently. I rolled my eyes and threw the paper wrapper from my straw at him. He laughed at me and grabbed my hand, lacing our fingers over the table.

"I'd have to cover the Wild then and they play against you," I informed him, taking a sip from my water.

"Touche," Zach sighed, "I guess I can deal with the whole Gopher hockey thing," he wrinkled his nose at the word Gopher.

"But Zach, I thought you loved them," I batted my eyelashes at him innocently, giving him a highly amused look. He did the opposite, rolling his eyes and averting his attention from my smug look. Win for Abbie.

"No but I do love you," He told me, turning back to look at me. I gave him a small smile, still enjoying the words as they flowed easily from his lips like he had been saying it all those years we were apart.

Through out dinner, Zach and I shared stories and events that had happened in the past two months we had been apart. We spent a majority of dinner talking but the lulls in the conversation were mostly caused by the inability to keep our hands off each other. Halfway through dinner, Zach moved from across the table so that he was sitting next to me, needing to be as close as possible. After that, I constantly reminded him that we were in public when his hands wandered but he could care less.

Dinner ended and Zach rushed me from the restaurant, insisting that I get my butt moving and into Jonathan's car so that we could high tail it back to the hotel. I sighed and lethargically followed him, not in a hurry to get anywhere with how full I was. The spaghetti seemed to be expanding in my stomach with ever step I took, making my jeans uncomfortably tight.

"Wake up," Zach whined as we drove back to the hotel. He shook my knee until my eyes fluttered open and I gave him a slight glare. "I want to love you tonight," he pouted at me.

"Zach, baby, I'm so tired," I told him, rubbing my hands over my face. I looked at the clock on the radio, sighing when I saw it was 11:30. I yawned, my body growing more tired by the minute as I tried to keep my eyes open to satisfy Zach.

We pulled into the hotel parking lot and parked, climbing out slowly and walking into the lobby hand in hand. We walked into the elevator and I leaned against Zach's shoulder as he pressed the number 5. He unlaced our hands and gentle pulled me into his body, wrapping his arms around my waist and leaning back against the wall. My eyes slid shut as he rubbed my back in slow circles. Before Zach, I never knew it was possible to fall asleep standing up.

The elevator dinged and Zach waited for me to step back so he could walk forward. I didn't move and he chuckled under his breath, scooping me up bridal style in his arms, just like I wanted him to. He carried me down the hall to the room that Travis and him had been staying in. Travis was no longer staying in the room since the team was already on their way back to New Jersey for their off day. Zach set me back on my feet, holding me up with the arm he wrapped securely around my waist. He dug in his pocket, pulling the key out and sliding it into the slot.

"I'm tired, Zachy," I cooed to him, running one of my hands through his hair, watching his eyes flutter closed at the simple touch.

"I know, sweetie," he told me, leaning down and placing a kiss on my lips before picking me up again.

This time I wrapped my legs around his waist and my arms around his neck in a tight hold. He dropped me onto the bed and pulled out his suitcase. He threw me one of his t-shirts and I undressed, pulling the soft fabric over my body. It slid over my skin perfectly, halting at mid thigh, Zach's sent distinctive in the threads. I crawled up the bed, sliding in under the covers and surprised with how soft the mattress was.

"Holy crap, get into bed, Zach. I'm going to pass out," I mumbled to him, wanting nothing more than to fall asleep wrapped safely in his arms, so much better than the lonely nights I had encountered since he'd been gone. Zach obliged and slid in next to me, his arms wrapping around me tightly. He brushed some of my hair away from my face, his lips hovering over my mouth.

"Tell me you love me," he whispered, his breath tickling against my face causing goosebumps to form on my skin. I shivered slightly, my eyes opening slowly to look into his deep brown eyes.

"I love you Zach," I sighed out, holding back a vicious yawn. His mouth tilted into a smile before he pressed his lips to mine in a soft kiss. My eyes slid closed again, unable to keep them open from the softness of the gesture. His lips caressed mine as his tongue slid over my bottom lip. I tugged on his, pulling it into my mouth and softly nibbling on it. My body was already starting to shut down, such a different reaction than what it usually did when he kissed me like this. I knew I was thoroughly exhausted and Zach could sense it too.

"We've got tomorrow," he told me as if I was concerned about missing out on the sex. Okay, maybe I was a little bit...

"We've got more than just tomorrow," I responded, curling my body into his warmth. My nose tickled his neck and I could feel his heart beating from where my hand lay on his chest.

"You're right. We've got the rest of our lives," he murmured against my hair, his hands slowing as he too grew too tired to say anything else. We laid in silence the next couple of minutes that we both were awake. Zach fell asleep first, his breathing evening out as his hand stopped moving against my back and head. I opened my eyes and looked up at his face, so soft and peaceful as he slept lightly. I ran the back of my hand over the curve of his jaw, stopping at his chin and tilting my lips up to meet his.

"I love you Zach," I whispered, never before meaning it as much as I did in that moment.

I dropped my hand, watching him sleep a little more before it because impossible for me to keep my eyes pried open. I kissed him one more time before snuggling back into his body, making sure there was no distance in between our bodies. Finally, after so many horribly empty and lonely nights, I fell asleep with the notion that it didn't get much better than this.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm doing so good at updating this :D
I've kind of re-found my Zach love.. I bet that makes you happy :)
soooo comments?
and also, you should check out my new story since it's another hockey story..
and if you also want, go check out my Eric Decker story because hold crap that kid is heaven sent <3