Status: complete

Tell Me It's Not Too Late

it's always better when we're together

"Zach."

No movement.

"Zachy," I tried again sweetly.

Still nothing.

"ZACHARY JUSTIN PARISE!" I screamed, loudly. He jolted awake under me, starting to fly into a sitting position and almost knocking me off balance from where I knelt over him on my hands and knees. I grinned at him as he steadied my body, holding me in place while he tried to wake up.

"Did you have to yell?" he asked me, a slight groan in his voice.

"Yeah, I was nice two times and then you wouldn't wake up so I had to do something," I shrugged.

He rolled over to look at the clock, seeing that it was 8:30 and immediately groaning loudly. "Why am I up right now? Why are you up right now?" He asked, annoyance in his tone.

"Because I can't sleep and I'm bored. Entertain me." I whined, shoving at his chest when he tried to flutter his eyes closed again.

"Entertaining you would entail that you lose the clothes," he informed me to which I tisked at him and rolled my eyes.

"Zach, stop sleeping and wake up. I want some coffee," I pouted, sitting on his lap. His eyes opened wide and he looked up at me, suddenly very aware of where I sat. "Stop." I grinned at him, looking more like I was growling at him.

"Abbs, please just let me sleep a little longer. You're waring me out!" He exclaimed. I rolled my eyes and climbed off of him and the bed.

"Whatever. You be lazy and I'll shower," I skipped to the bathroom knowing Zach would definitely be getting his butt out of bed. Sure enough, after I stripped down and stepped into the stream of water, the bathroom door creaked open and Zach stepped into the shower a minute later.

"I knew we'd be meeting here," I whispered to him over the water pounding on the tile.

"I'm a sucker for loving," he grinned.

"Then why are you in here?" I teased, pressing my lips to his and pulling him into the hot water.

We stayed in the shower until the water turned cold, chasing us out of our sexy time. Zach enjoyed toweling me off with the fluffy towels. I repeatedly had to remind him of his naughty, wandering hands. He never deterred though, only trying that much harder to seduce me into bed for the rest of the day.

"No, this is my first time in Chicago and I'd like to see more than the hotel," I told him, combing my fingers through my wet hair. I moved to grab my make up bag but Zach snatched it before I could get a hand on it.

"Zach," I whined, pouting at him.

"Why are you getting 'ready'" he asked, making quotes.

"Why wouldn't I?" I reached up on my tippy toes, stretching to get a hold of the little purple bag.

"Because you don't need anything in this. Plus, you're just wasting out time trying to ruin your natural beauty." I smiled at him and wrapped my arms around his waist.

"Honey, sometimes I think you fell out of one of my mom's romance novels," I giggled, "and I love you for that but I'm not leaving until I put some mascara on and dry my hair, so gimme."

"Fight me for it." He gave me a devilish grin, daring me to take him on. As if we would fight, more like he would throw me on the bed and have his way with me, not that I'd be complaining much.

"No, give it to me," I told him, my whine loud and my lips pouty. "Noo, please," I cooed at him, watching his eyes melt, smirking while I watched him turn to a puddle of goo. He gave me the bag, placing a kiss on my forehead before pulling on his jacket.

"I'll go get some coffee," He walked over to me, wrapping his arms tightly around me and softly kissing the top of my head.

I sighed and snuggled into him, "hurry."

"Always," he murmured before giving me a final squeeze and walking from the room.

I smiled at the closed door, completely wrapped up in Zach and the way he made me feel. It was moments like this morning that made me forget about our past and the pain he could cause if he ever left again.
***

I stood at the window of our hotel room, looking down at the Chicago street, watching people bustle along the snowy sidewalk. My eyes nervously scanned the faces of all the men with brown hair and a black jacket on. It had been two hours since Zach left and he had yet to call or show up at the room. I pursed my lips as tears formed, thinking of all the possible things that could have gone wrong.

I choked back a sob, telling myself that all of Zach's stuff was here including his phone. He probably just got a little lost or there was a long line. But even though I wanted to believe that, I knew it didn't take two hours to get coffee no matter the circumstances. I sighed and grabbed my Uggs, stuffing my feet into them and grabbing my fleece jacket. I made sure my room key was in my pocket and made my way to the elevator at the end of the hall.

I tried to think of where to start looking first. I didn't know my way around Chicago and aimlessly walking down the street didn't sound like a good idea. I was starting to become visibly upset by the time the doors opened and I stepped into the lobby. I walked to the front desk, getting ready to ask where the nearest Starbucks was when Zach's adorable laugh sounded, literally music to my ears.

I whirled around, immediately wishing I didn't when I saw the blonde girl who has stood next to Jonathan Toews, sitting next to Zach at a table. I pursed my lips, restraining myself from making a huge scene and stalking over to him. I kept myself rooted to the spot, watching with dark and lowered eyes. I pulled my anger in, channeling it to my fingers where my nails viciously dug into the heel of my palm. I took slow, deliberate steps as I crossed the quiet lobby. Zach looked up, his bright eyes sparkling when he waved me over. I sucked my cheeks in, seeing my coffee cup next to Zach on the table. Well, at least he went to Starbucks.

"Hey, sorry, I ran into Rach and I lost track of time," He told me, kissing my cheek as I sat in his lap, my anger subsiding as his arms wrapped around my waist. I buried my face in the crook of his neck, so happy that he was okay. I regain my composure, looking up as Jonathan approached the table. My whole body deflated in relief when he wrapped his arms around the blonde and tenderly kissed her temple.

"Zach," I whispered, turning away from the two people across the table, "I waited for you for two hours. I was worried something happened to you. I winced when I thought of how passive I sounded when I spoke to him, expecting to have a lot more anger and directness to my voice. But like always when it came to Zach, he broke down my walls and made me do a complete 180.

"I've been gone for two hours?" He whispered incredulously. I nodded and he closed his eyes, completely dumbfounded.

"Baby, I'm so sorry. Shit, I never meant to take so long," he told me, biting his lip and running his hands up and down my sides.

"It's alright," I whispered, kissing his lips lightly. There was no sense in getting upset about it when he was just trying to get caught up with Jonathan.

"I'm sorry, we haven't officially met," I smiled at the other female, extending my hand which she shook.

"I'm Rachel, Jonathan's girlfriend," she smile back at me.

"I'm-"

"Abbie," Jonathan finished. "Trust me, Parise's been talking about you since he sat down with us." He rolled his eyes as Zach flashed him a smile. I blushed and looked at my boyfriend.

"Yeah, I guess he's kind of crazy about me," I grinned, dropping a kiss on his puckered lips. I could see him blush a bit before he looked past me at Jonathan who made a whipping motion.

"Basically," I giggled.

"So, let's go somewhere," Jonathan suggested, standing up and pulling Rachel up with him.

"Where?" Rachel asked, her hand holding Jonathan's lightly.

"Let's start with food," Zach moaned, holding his stomach.

"Listen to you." I laughed, patting his tummy. "So any chance my coffee is still warm?" I asked, cocking an eyebrow and smirking at him.

Zach smiled back sheepishly and stood up quickly, almost knocking me over. "off to Starbucks!"
***

I leaned against the wall outside of our hotel room as Zach slipped the key into the electronic lock. I sighed when I heard the click, barely able to stand up after shopping all day. Rachel and I had decided that we could use some new clothes and dragged the boys to Michigan Ave, the best shopping around. We wove our way through the crowds and various stores, only a couple times getting stopped by fans who recognized both Jonathan and Zach.

It was adorable watching Zach talk with a little boy, kneeling down so that he was at the boys level. My heart literally swooned as he laughed with him, commenting about his Hawks shirt and making sure he got a picture with both him and Jonathan. My mind automatically drifted to Zach with kids of his own, cradling them to his chest and making sure they were loved unconditionally. He would make a good dad to, hopefully, our kids.

"My feet hurt," I moaned as I kicked off my Uggs, diving on to the bed. Zach set my bags on the floor, tugging off his jacket and shoes before joining me on the bed. He laid down next to me, his hand resting on my lower back and the other brushing my hair away from my face.

"I wish I could stay with you forever," I whispered, hating that tomorrow I would have to leave him and head West to Minnesota while he headed East to New Jersey.

"I know. But the season is kind of winding down," he shrugged, his thumb softly brushing against my cheek.

"No it's not. You still have half of this month, March, April, and then the playoffs. That is not winding down, if anything that's picking up," I mumbled, wishing I never brought it up. I didn't want to think about how long it would be until I saw him again. Things would be so much easier if I could fall asleep wrapped in his arms forever.

Zach let out a deep sigh, shaking his head slightly, "you have a point. But you could come see me," He suggested.

"I can't. I might have to cover the Twins season because one of our reporters is leaving after spring training and since the Gophers will be done by then, I'm going to have to take it."

"Would you travel with the team?" He asked, propping himself up against his hand.

"Yeah," I breathed out. I watched him purse his lips, calculating how long I'd be away from him during the off season.

"Do you realize how much that sucks?"

"I'm sorry," I whispered, rolling on top of him and resting my head against his shoulder. He tilted his cheek to sit on top of my head, gently stroking my back. The urge to sleep washed over me as I felt the tension in the air, the realization hitting that we wouldn't be seeing each other much not with my travel and his training. "Let's not talk about it. We're together now and that's all that matters."

"Mkay," he mumbled slightly inaudible to me. I looked up and noticed his eyes already closed. The clock on the nightstand told me it was only 9:30 at night and despite the fact that I really wanted to go see more of Chicago, nothing would make me move from this spot. I was right where I wanted to be, wrapped up in the arms of the love of my life, safe, warm and content.

"Hey Abbs?" Zach whispered, pulling my attention back to him.

"Yeah baby?"

"I'm really sorry about today. I could see that you were really worried about me and I never meant to take that long."

"It's alright," I spoke softly, running my hand over his chest.

"No, it's not. I'll make it up to you, I promise." He assured me.

"Zach, I really don't care." I insisted.

"Abbie, I care. That is the kind of stuff I would have gotten away with in college. I've grown up a lot since then and I'm trying hard to prove that. What I did today was just plain stupid. There was no reason I couldn't go and get you or call you down to the lobby. And I feel bad because I know you were scared."

"Baby, you don't need to prove anything. I've seen the change and I like it a lot. I'm just glad my favorite parts haven't changed." I breathed out, my eyes fluttering as I struggled to stay awake and coherent.

"Like what?"

"Your smile and laugh for starters. They light up my life when I see or hear them. Your personality and how humble you are about your success. I love the way you still hold my hand tightly when we walk down the street and the way you randomly stop me and place soft kisses on my lips. I'm glad you still hold me after we make love, like if your arms slip from their tight hold, I'll disappear. But mostly, I'm so relieved that you still love me as much as you did in college."

"That'll never change." He affirmed, his arms tightening around me just the way I liked it.

"I'm starting to understand that." I whispered, kissing his chest before letting myself drift to sleep, wrapped up in Zach.
***

The hardest part about being with Zach after romantic days like we just had, was most definitely saying goodbye. It was easier when I left New Jersey and was pissed off at him because the only thing I could focus on was getting through the airport and flight without breaking down. But now that he had me in his arms, I wasn't sure how I was going to be able to walk away.

We stood in the airport next to my gate since my plane was due to leave first. I sighed when they announced that the plane was boarding, hating that I was going to have to leave. Tears burned my eyes as Zach tried to pull me away a bit so he could look at me.

"Hey, come on honey," he cooed softly, trying to get me to loosen my grip on him. I shook my head and buried my face farther into his solid chest. "Baby."

"No." I pushed out in response.

"Honey, don't be like this." He whispered softly, his fingers running through my hair only affirming the fact that I didn't want to step away from him.

"Can I ask you something?" I wondered, tilting my chin up so it was resting on his chest and I was looking into his soft, brown eyes,

"Anything."

"Run away with me?" I whimpered. He gave me a sad smile, his eyes sparkling at the question.

"I want to, so bad. But you know I can't darling," he drawled out. I closed my eyes in defeat and let him cradle me to his chest a little while longer.

"You'll miss me a lot right?" I asked, stepping away as Zach's arms loosely incircled me.

"You're the only one I'll be thinking of."

"Good."

"Call me so I know you got home alright?" He asked, as I stepped back, his arms falling back to his sides. I felt cold and lonely, my heart sinking in my chest. I nodded and pursed my lips, turning to walk towards the boarding area. I didn't even take a step before I turned back around, leaping into Zach's arms and smashing my lips to his.

"This isn't fair," I cried into his shoulder, resting my head against it. "I don't want to leave you."

"I know," he soothed me, taking a couple steps to what I assumed was the boarding area. But he just kept walking, his footsteps never stopping when they should have. I looked up, my eyes locking with the gate I was supposed to be at, the passengers dwindling as the time for take off got closer but I got farther away.

"Zach?" I asked, "where are you taking me?"

"Home with me." He responded and I felt my heart swoon before I laid my head on his shoulder again, kissing the side of his neck as he walked us towards the ticket exchange counter.

If I had been thinking rationally, I would have realized that not going home was a bad idea. Not only did I need to get back to work, but I had to help Krissy with some wedding details. But my mind couldn't process beyond the concept that I had vacation days and Krissy could wait. The only thing I could think of was being with Zach, wrapped up in each other while we spent the next few days in bed, expressing our love in the most intimate of ways.
♠ ♠ ♠
FLUFF!!!
:D
comments?
seriously.. I've got my mojo going for this story..
don't ruin it by not telling me what you think