Creatures of the Night

Chapter Five- The end?

Panting so hard he could hardly catch his breath, Billie arrived home. He had just ran at least three miles non stop and his heart was thumping so hard he could feel it in his throat. But that wasn't from the run, it was from pure fear. He opened his front door and stood holding it shut for several seconds. He had never been so fucking scared in his whole entire life and was having difficulties breathing. Every time he tried to inhale precious oxygen it seemed to catch in his throat causing him to cough and splutter. He fell to the ground coughing violently, choking, dying. Deaths arms were open and welcoming him to the end. Billie felt his life slip from under him. was this the end? No. it wasn't. Adrienne came down stairs after the deafening coughing awoke her. Seeing Her dearly beloved husband lying on the floor not moving she reacted instinctively. She screamed. She ran to him. She held on to him as though it was the end as she felt it was. Tears were forming as the beautiful woman stared at the sleeping face of her husband. Billie wasn't breathing and Adie was aware of it. She lay him on his back and moved her lips towards his, holding his nose. Resuscitation, it was her last and only hope. Breathing into him, several pumps and Billie was still motionless. Another breath, nothing. One more, again, nothing. One last breath. Billie inhaled and opened his eyes which filled again with terror. He caught his breath and sat up staring at Adie's wet face. He pulled her into a hug.
"Adie, you saved my life!" He exclaimed.
"What was i supposed to do? let you die?" She half laughed, half cried. Billie just smiled "Do you want a glass of water?"
"Yeah please. Adie i love you so much." He told her gazing into her sparkling eyes.
"I love you too Billie." She got up to retrieve the water leaving Billie and his thoughts alone. He was so close to death. It scared him. If Adie hadn't woken, he would be dead. That scared him more. Was it just pure luck that he was alive now or was it as Korv Bardley would put it Destiny?