‹ Prequel: Home Alone
Status: Might be handing this off to someone else..

You Gave Me Butterflies At The Mailbox

The Shock.

When Frank walks into the kitchen later that day, Tony is sitting at the table, reading a newspaper.

Tony is Frank's mom's new boyfriend. When she had told Frank she had a surprise for him when she got home from her trip, he expected a souvenir. But, no, she brought home a guy. A man. But Tony's cool, and Frank really likes him. Their meeting had gone something like this: they both say hello and shake hands, Frank tells Tony, "I'm gay," and Tony responds with a simple, "Cool." So Frank figured there wasn't going to be any problems. His mom seems happier, and Frank really wouldn't mind adopting Tony as a dad.

Frank sits down across from Tony at the table and lets out a sigh. Tony looks up at him over his newspaper and asks, "What's new, kid?"

Frank leans his head on his right hand, elbow on the table, and replies, "Nothing. At all."

Tony nods his head and looks back at his newspaper, but Frank doesn't think he's really reading it. "You just at Gerard's?" he asks, eyes still on the paper.

Frank nods his head and says, "Yup. Nothing new there."

Tony nods his head as well, then clears his throat and says, a little uncomfortably, "You guys, uh. You, get it on, or what ever?"

Frank wants to laugh, really, really bad, but the answer to Tony's question makes him want to cry. "No, man. He doesn't want to do anything! It's so frustrating. Like, I don't wanna pressure him or anything, but he is 19, you know? It's just." Frank cuts himself off with a frustrated groan and rests his forhead on the table, letting his arms lay next to it.

"Well, I mean, has he told his mom yet?" Tony asks, setting his newspaper down. The best thing about Tony, Frank thinks, is that there's finally an older guy Frank can look up to, and they can talk, and he can get advise, but there's none of that awkwardness that would be there it Tony were actually his dad. They're more like really good friends. But, Tony does take on the father role every once in a while, and Frank appreciates it.

"Nah. I keep trying to talk to him about it, but he just doesn't want to. It's like he's ashamed or something, ya know?"

Tony shakes his head in disagreement and says, "He's not ashamed, Frank. He's just scared. You gotta support him. And as far as the other part goes, don't, uh, don't pressure him. And, when you do finally.. do it, make sure you guys are safe. And I don't mean just protection, like, make sure you know what you're doing."

And, okay, this is a little more awkward, but Frank just smirks and says, "Don't worry. I'm being very patient with him. And I'll be sure to do lots of research."

Tony huffs out a laugh and says, "I'm sure you will," while returning to his paper once again.

Frank stands up and heads up to his room, but before he leaves the kitchen he goes, "Hey, Tony?" and when Tony turns to look at him, Frank smiles and says, "Thanks, man." And he thinks he probably just made Tony's day.

****

The next day, Gerard invites Frank over for dinner. This sounds normal, but in fact it is very, very strange for them. Usually Frank is just already there, and it is sort of decided if he is staying when it comes time for dinner. They never, ever plan things out. So, Frank goes, "Uh, okay?" when Gerard asks him, and Gerard hangs up after a quick goodbye, leaving Frank very confused.

When Frank goes over to Gerard's house, he decides he wants to take the window instead of the door. He lays on his stomach in front of the window and taps on it, waiting for his boyfriend to open it. When Gerard does slide the window open, Gerard doesn't look so good. And Frank tells him this.

"Well gee, thanks," Gerard says. Then, when Frank lands ungracefully on to the bed, then bounces off and onto the floor, Gerard mutters an, "Idiot," before returning to his video game he had been playing.

Frank smiles at him and sits next to him, kissing him on the cheak. Gerard's pretending to be really interested in this game, but Frank can see the little smile he gives as Frank leans his head on Gerard's shoulder. "Well, do you feel alright?" Frank asks, setting a hand on Gerard's thigh.

Gerard doesn't answer right away, but eventually he whispers, "Yeah, I'm fine."

After about 30 minutes, Gerard turns off the game and the two of them head upstairs. Gerard's mom is setting the table, and she jumps a little when she sees Frank. "Oh! Frank! I didn't know you were here."

"I came through the window," Frank says while nodding his head casually, like this is the most normal thing ever. Which, for Frank, it kind of is.

Gerard's mom nods in understanding, then says, "Well, you boys just sit down, dinner's almost ready." And so they do.

****

Dinner goes smoothly, and Frank almost forgets the awkward pre-planning of the whole thing. Almost. When they're done, Gerard suggests that they all watch a movie. Everyone agrees, except Mikey, who says he's got 'too much homework to do' in a very robot-like voice. Frank gives Mikey a strange look, because he said that sentence like he's reading from a script; all perfect and stiff. Frank just shakes his head as Mikey runs up the stairs to his bedroom.

Gerard swallows and nods, then walks into the living room. His mom follows behind him, and Frank behind her, a very confused expression on his face. Things seem extra weird, today. Which is saying something.

They all sit on the couch, and no one moves to turn on the TV. Gerard's mom coughs a little, then says, "Did you want to pick a movie, Gerard?"

And, completely ignoring her question, Gerard turns to her and says, "I'm gay."

And his mom and Frank's eyes both widen to what Frank guesses are un-healthy sizes.