Breathe.

Breathe.

My heartbeat is thudding around my ears, nothing else to be heard. My eyes are fixated on your figure as you walk, each feature of your face so vivid and clear whereas the surrounding trees are just a blur. You’re just a normal guy, but you have an effect on me that’s so unique and new to me that it’s slightly scary but somewhat comforting to my pounding heart and racing mind.

Your lips turn at the corners, my hearts been replaced by winged creatures, their wings bashing against my framework and I know that a smile identical to yours has taken over my lips. Flashing images of our past invade my mind, merging with the illustration before my eyes. Each memory has been played over-and-over like an old tape, but it’s still as fresh and comforting as the day we met.

You’re getting closer, I can see the freckles that I adore sprinkled across your nose and the dark colourings of irises that make me weak at the knees are staring back at me. Your tinted skin reminds me of porcelain as it’s carefully sculpted without a flaw. I recall the electrical current that ran through my body when your skin brushed against mine and as the space between us decreased, I long to feel your touch once again.

You’re right in front of me, the smile still present and your eyes reflect the light in my life. You’re acting so calm, as if the situation isn’t getting to you as it is to me. You flick the hair away from your face and the urge to just run my fingers through it and remember the times you did the same to me. I tilt my neck slightly and your lips are the first thing I see, leading my mind to wander about their feel and the warmth they’d alight within me.

My eyes trace each feature of your face; the tip of your nose, the distinct jaw line and I’m sure I can see cheekbones from underneath those warm cheeks. My glace wanders upwards see you looking back down at me, in such ardour. I can feel my own cheeks begin to turn magenta as the realisation that I actually mean at least something to you hits me.

You begin to talk, your voice calming my heart and soothing the flow of blood. It’s like music to my ears, a song I long to sing along to but the fear of ruining the lullaby stops me. Your voice is like nothing I’ve ever heard, it captivates my attention and gives my heart stimulus to keep on pumping just so that I can hear what you have to say.

I’ve been told I have a way with words, a skill when it comes to bluffing my way out of difficult situations, but right now the words seem to escape me as you wait for me to speak. I open my mouth to allow my verbal feelings to flow around you but speech is beyond me. Everything I’ve ever wanted to say to you escapes me, leaving my mind a vast space of nerves that cause my bones to shake.

I can feel myself breaking down but you don’t notice because it’s been barely a second since our eyes met. I lower my head to hide my flushed cheeks, clench my fist to stop the quivering and silently beg that everything will be okay. I can feel my heart smashing against my ribcage, the blood thrashing against the inner casing of my veins and I feel like falling to the floor like a limp rag doll.

And then I remember to breathe.