A Vampire's Imprint

Lost

She wandered the streets, unaware of what she was supposed to do. She felt like she was searching for something, but what?

The girl walked into a dim, classy restaurant. Scanning the crowd, she continued searching for something, someone rather. Her eyes met with that of a boy with flashing gold hair behind the counter in the back of the room. He smiled for a moment when a sudden frown appeared. The boy ran over rapidly and pulled her into the back. The girl followed, confused, given that her willpower to do anything was quite low. “Genevieve, cover for me!” the boy yelled to another girl behind the counter as he continued hauling the girl away.

They reached the back alley when he finally stopped and looked around to make sure no one was near.

“What’s going on?” the girl asked softly. Her brain was as lightheaded as ever.

“Are you looking for something?” the boy asked slowly.

“What? Um, yeah, I think…”

“Do you remember anything…?”

“N-No… no, not at all.”

He paused at this and took out his cell phone, calling someone. “Hey Theo, you have to come here… Yeah, I have a, um, present for you… Haha, no, just get over here,” he laughed as he put his phone away.

“A present…?” the girl repeated, sensing something was wrong.

“What? No, no! Sorry, I was just… here let me explain to you what’s going on. You see, you were bitten by a vampire. And since the vampire didn’t kill you or turn you, you’ve gotten amnesia. This means you will imprint on a vampire. You probably feel faintly and like you’re searching for something, right?” the boy explained wholeheartedly.

The girl thought it over. He sounded hysteric but how would he know she was feeling weak and was looking for something? She slowly nodded, still rather unsure. “Well how do you know all this? I mean, I look like any other brunette.”

“Well, first off, my name’s Trevor. And I’m not a vampire if that’s what you’re wondering. That’s why you didn’t imprint on me. I’m… kind of special too, I can see auras. People who are looking to imprint, as well as vampires for that matter, have very particular auras. That’s how I could tell, plus you looked really confused.”

“How does it feel like to imprint on someone?”

“You will feel very… accommodating. You might not even like the vampire, but no matter what, you will feel obliged to assist the vampire. Just to be near him or her would even make you feel good.”

“So what about that phone-” the girl started asking when the presence of another boy silenced her.

“I’m here, what’s up?” the new guy asked in a voice that demanded attention.

“Oh, Theodore, I wanted you to meet someone. This is a girl who needs to imprint, and-”

“No! Not again!” Theodore growled, but it was too late. The girl stared up at him with wide eyes, feeling strangely fulfilled. Theodore stared down at her, realizing this, he pulled Trevor away.

“Too late, she’s imprinted on you!” Trevor laughed.

“You know how much I hate this!”

“Well what was I supposed to do? I saw three other vampires just outside the restaurant. What if she imprinted on a bad one?” Trevor reasoned. The glare Theodore gave him did not relent. “I know what happened last time still hurts, but I have the solution. Just don’t fall in love with this one! I can promise you, I’ll look up her background real fast and get her to remember everything real soon.”

“Fine, but I’m not babysitting her.”

“Do you think I can? There’s barely enough room for my family alone in that house. Anyways, she’ll be too mesmerized to you. Look, she hasn’t stopped staring at you since you got here.” Theodore turned his head to find the girl’s alert gaze transform into a timorous smile. He rolled his eyes.

“You owe me,” Theodore surrendered.

“I bring you at least three gallons of animal blood a month. That should count for something. Now take her away before my boss finds out I’ve been out for ten minutes.”

Theodore walked the girl to an old, tarnished loft. “So what’s you name? Oh right, you don’t remember.” The girl smiled thoughtlessly, trying hard not to seem too fascinated in him. “Well what would you like to be called?”

“I don’t know anything is fine with me.”

“Just choose,” Theodore groaned.

“Okay, fine. Call me… Vera…” the girl decided, seeing the name scrawled across a piece of paper hanging out the miniature bookshelf.

“What?! No! Why would you want that name? How did it even cross your mind? It’s the last thing I’m going to call you!” Theodore exploded. He glared back at her and snapped out of his rage. The girl was gazing back in shock and bewilderment. He turned away, ashamed, “Sorry, I… Just choose another name, please…”

The girl took a moment to try and calm her heart. It thumped violently as though she was having a panic attack. She hugged herself as hard as she could. It helped only slightly.

Theodore finally looked up, quickly realizing what was happening. He ran over to the sofa she was in and hugged her just hard enough so that she doesn’t suffocate. Her heartbeat slowed, seemingly corresponding with his heartbeat.

“I’m okay…” she said in a shaky voice. “What just happened?”

“Don’t worry it happens all the time. Some of the vampire’s venom got into you so your heart goes haywire when you’re scared or something. It shouldn’t occur too frequently.” Theodore explained in the same exasperated voice.

“Kathleen.”

“What?”

“You can call me Kathleen.”

Kathleen looked into the refrigerator and found very few things: a pitcher of blood, an old loaf of bread, a parcel of cheese, some slightly moldy salami, three cartons of yogurt, and half a tub of ice cream in the freezer. She frowned.

“Don’t worry about it, that’s enough for you today. We can go buy whatever you need tomorrow. Plus, Trevor will bring some things over. He always comes,” Theodore’s voice was still solemn.

“Does it… annoy you?”

“No. Why would you think that? He’s a close friend.”

“Well you always seem so serious. I can’t tell when you’re happy or sad,” Kathleen smiled. “You should relax. Smile more!”

“And look like you…?” Theodore teased.

“Are you joking or are you serious? See? I really can’t tell!” Kathleen exclaimed. Theodore stared at her for a moment, trying to figure out if she was kidding. She wasn’t. He walked away.

Evening came, as did Trevor, carrying two bags of gourmet.

“So how do you like the place?” Trevor asked amiably. He and Kathleen were setting out the food on a short table.

“It’s okay, I guess. I have my own room. But it consists of nothing more than a mattress and table. There aren’t even any lights in there!” Kathleen complained happily. Finally there was someone she could talk to without feeling like a child. Though Theodore looked about her age, he seemed much more mature.

Trevor laughed. “Yeah, besides the bathroom, this is the only room with lights,” he said about the living room that connected to the kitchen. “Vampires see better in the dark, so he never thought to put any anywhere else. Speaking of which, where is Theo?”

“I’m right here…” Theodore called from his room. The vampire had just woken from his nap. “I keep telling you to come later. Look! It’s only six!”

“I was afraid you’d be starving the poor girl,” Trevor mocked. “I know how long it’s been since you last tasted human blood.” For the first time ever, to Kathleen at least, Theodore gave a small chuckle.

Of the follow two weeks, Theodore remained his same cold self. Trevor came over regularly, taking care of Kathleen’s nutrition needs. And Kathleen was helplessly frolicking after Theodore, whether he wanted her to or not. Although he would never admit it, Theodore was slowly warming up to her.