When I Look At You

A Secret No Longer

Nick and Faith were the first to leave the family dinner since Nick had to get up early. He had to go to the studio to start recording the new record with the Administration. After saying goodnight they climbed into the car and Nick started driving home. Music was playing quietly from the radio as they talked lightly about the evening.

“You know, I never realized how big a piece of work Joe is until tonight.” Nick said, letting out a slight laugh as he took a left turn on the way to their house.

“What do you mean?” Faith asked, turning her head to look at him as he kept his eyes on the road.

“The way he snapped at everyone tonight. You and Dani were just trying to be nice. It’s not like you were committing him to that poor girl.”

“Hey, I had nothing to do with it.” Faith said defensively. “I just happened to mention Charlotte to Danielle and she went all psycho crazy saying that Joe should bring her to dinner. She dragged me along to ambush him at his work. Besides, if anyone’s poor in this situation it’s Joe.”

“Oh please. Don’t pity him.”

“Why are you being so mean to your own brother?” Faith asked, raising her voice slightly. “You have no idea what he’s been dealing with.”

“Oh and you do?” Nick asked angrily turning to her.

“Yes… well I mean with Dani. She told me about it when we were shopping. She set him up with a friend of hers without even telling him. She didn’t even tell Kevin she was doing it. I feel bad for him, having his sister-in-law force him into these dates he doesn’t want with girls he barely knows.”

“Hello! It’s called a blind date.”

“But when you have a blind date you at least know you have a date!”

“It’s still your fault Charlotte was part of this whole thing tonight.” He said, changing the subject.

“Excuse me?!”

“If you hadn’t mentioned her to Danielle she wouldn’t have come up with her oh so brilliant idea to invite her to dinner. By the way, how did you know about her and no one else did?”

“Joe told me about her the night we came back from our honeymoon. When we were talking in the kitchen.” She said, lying to him yet again. White lies she told herself. Harmless, little, white lies.

“But why didn’t he tell anyone else?”

“I don’t know! It’s not like it was important! I was just asking him about work and he happened to mention her. The end. No big deal. Moving on.” Faith said, resting her elbow on the car door and looking out the window.

The rest of the ride went by in silence from the two. The only sound was the softness of the radio. Nick pulled into the driveway and before he even had the car parked Faith got out and made her way to the front door, realizing too late that she didn’t have a key. She sighed and stood in silence as Nick slid the key in, unlocking the door.

“I’m going to bed.” He muttered as he slipped his shoes off.

He climbed the stairs to the bedroom without even kissing Faith goodnight. She rolled her eyes, took her pumps off, and made her way to the kitchen. Upstairs, Nick was busy opening and slamming drawers and doors as he got ready for bed. In the kitchen, Faith was boiling water for tea.

As the teapot sat on the stove she walked into the living room and searched the shelves for a movie. She was more mature than Nick. She didn’t slam things around or bang things to make a lot of noise to signal she was angry. No. All Faith had to do to show her anger was to be silent. Nick knew this. This is always how things were when they fought. But, Faith noted, this was the first time they had fought about Joe.

****

The next morning, Faith woke up to an empty space next to her in bed. Nick had left so quietly. He usually left a note on his pillow letting her know that he’d call her and when he’d be home. There was no note.

With a sigh she slid out of bed and put her slippers on. She thought maybe he left one downstairs so she made her way to the kitchen. Nothing on the refrigerator, or the coffee pot, or the cabinet door... He hadn’t left a single note for her.

She couldn’t believe he was still mad at her. Whenever they had fought before he only stayed mad a few hours. This was new. Faith didn’t know what to do. She just sat at the table and started thinking. If Nick was still mad at her she was going to stay mad at Nick. Her eyes widened as she came up with a plan. She rose from the table and grabbed the phone, punching in the numbers that were becoming so familiar to her.

Hello?

“Hey, Joe. It’s me.” She said, leaning against the counter.

Oh, hey Faith. What’s up?

“Nothing really… you sound busy. Maybe I shouldn’t have called.”

No, it’s okay. Just organizing a few things on my desk.” He said quickly. “Go ahead and talk. I’m all ears.

“Okay well… I was wondering if you’d want to meet for lunch later.”

What time?

“Is around one okay?” she asked, biting her lip.

Yeah that’s fine. I’ll pick you up at your house.

“Oh no you don’t have…”

Faith. I’ll pick you up at one.” He said, holding back laughter.

“Okay. See you in a bit.”

Bye.

“Bye.” She said quietly, hanging up the phone.

She had a smile on her face and she didn’t know why. She stood there for a few moments before it hit her. The smile disappeared from her face and she slouched against the countertop. Did I just set up a date… with Joe… and me?

****

“Hey,” Faith said quietly, opening the door. Joe stood on the small porch, a smile on his face and sunglasses set on his nose.

“Hey. You ready?” he asked, twirling his key ring on his little finger.

“Uh, yeah.” she said, staring at him unknowingly. “Let’s go.”

“So, did you have someplace in mind?” he asked as she locked the door behind her.

“Not really… no. I was hoping you would know where to go.” She said, shrugging her shoulders as she got into the car.

“Ok well… I do know a place. I’m sure you’ll like it.” he said, pulling out of the driveway.

“Yeah, sure. I’m up for anything.”

“Cool so… what sparked this invitation?” he asked, turning to look at her and saw her semi-surprised face. “Just curious.”

“I don’t know I just felt like… going out to lunch. But I didn’t want to go alone.”

“So… why didn’t you call Dani?”

“Okay… truth?”

“Uh… yeah. The truth would be nice.” He said, letting out a laugh. Faith sighed and sat back in her seat.

“Nick and I had a fight last night.” She said sullenly. “A fight about… you… sort of.”

“About me? What do you mean?”

“Nick kind of found your whole… conversation last night very… annoying, I guess. He doesn’t understand why you got so upset about everyone wondering about your love life. I was trying to defend you and I told him how Dani set you up the other weekend and he thinks you should be thankful. He left this morning without leaving me a note saying when he’d be home.” She said, choking on her words a bit near the end.

“Wow.” Joe said quietly. “I don’t really… know what to say.”

“You don’t have to say anything.” Faith said feeling her cheeks turn hot from embarrassment.

“I can’t believe Nick would say something like that.” He said, his eyebrows pulling together. “And… thank you. For trying to defend me but you don’t have to do that. I can handle Nick.”

“I know it was just… the things he was saying were frustrating me. I couldn’t believe he would stay stuff like that about you; about his own brother. It was just… irritating.”

“Yeah… I understand. I’ve had spats with Nick before so I know what you’re going through.”

“I think it’s just a little different.” Faith said with a laugh. “I mean… I’m married to Nick and you’re his brother…”

“Very true.” He said, pulling into a parking spot at a small diner. “We’re here.”

“I’ve never seen this place before.” Faith said, climbing out of the car.

“No one else in the family knows about it. It’s kind of my… special place.” He said giving a small smile.

“You do realize how dirty that sounds, right?”

“Yeah. After I said it.” he said, letting out a nervous laugh. “You know what I mean.”

“Yeah, I get it. I’m kind of surprised you brought me here then. I feel like I’m intruding on your special place.” She said in a whispering, secretive voice.

“It sounded like the kind of place you needed to go to.” He said, opening the door.

The ringing of the small bell echoed in Faith’s ear as she stepped inside the small, cozy diner. A woman in the front smiled at them and Joe held up two fingers. She grabbed menus and led them to a table by the front window. Joe whispered something in her ear before sitting down across from Faith.

“What was that all about?” Faith asked, taking a menu and opening it.

“Oh, nothing.” He said, sitting back in the booth.

“Okay. So what’s good here?”

“Put the menu down.”

“Why?” she asked curiously, lifting an eyebrow.

“Just… put the menu down. Trust me.” He said, sticking his hand out and tilting the menu towards the table.

“Well, Joe, you have intrigued me.”

“That was the plan.”

“My, my, my. Who do we have here?” a woman’s voice asked. Faith looked up and smiled at the plump, elderly woman who stood before them.

“Cheryl,” Joe said with a smile, standing up and giving her a hug. “It’s good to see you.”

“You too, honey. How long has it been?”

“Probably almost two months.” He said, sitting back down.

“Shame on you! And who’s this lovely lady?” she asked, turning to Faith.

“This is Faith. She’s my… sister-in-law.”

“Hi,” Faith said, shaking Cheryl’s hand.

“It’s very nice to finally meet you.”

“Finally meet me?” Faith asked confused.

“This one here has told me all about you and the rest of his family. How’s the married life?”

“Oh, it’s… great.” Faith said, turning her gaze to Joe who gave a half smile and looked down at his hands.

“Wonderful.” Cheryl said, smiling down at Faith. “So what can I get for you two?”

“We’ll take two stacks of those fabulous pancakes and two coffees.” Joe said, handing her the menus.

“No problem, sugar. Do you want strawberries with your pancakes?”

“Um…”

“I’m bringing you strawberries. Coffee is coming right up.” She said, turning and heading towards the kitchen.

“She… knows you.” Faith said with a laugh.

“I come here as often as I can. When work gets too hectic or the family puts me on the edge. It’s my get away.” He said, shrugging his shoulders.

“It’s nice.” She said, reaching out and patting his hand. “Thank you for bringing me here.”

“Anytime. I’m glad I brought you here.”

“Yeah?” she asked.

“It’s not my secret anymore.” He said, turning his eyes up to her from the table. She smiled and brought her hands back to her lap, looking down as her heart skipped a beat. Cheryl came back with the coffees and Faith felt comfortable. As if she belonged there.
♠ ♠ ♠
Awwwwwwww. How cute XD Um... feelin on Nick acting like such a jerk?

So... we didn't make it to 10 stars with 10 chapter :( BUT I got A LOT of comments from all of you fabulous readers and that's what counts, showing the love :D You readers rock, I feel like this chapter is the one.

Now... guess what. Some awesome girls have decided to create a sight called The Bring Mibba Back Awards. Fellow Mibba members can go and nominate stories for certain categories. There are three sections, Orginial Fictions, Jonas Fictions, and Twilight Fictions. Each of those sections have subcategories. So... it would be awesome if anyone nominated me for ANY story of mine that you LOVE. Just pick the right category you think they would fit best in. This would mean so much to me.

Love you all <3

Thanks for reading.
~Steph <3