When I Look At You

Imagine

“Hey… Dave wants us in the meeting room. He has the picks for the Houston exhibit.” Charlotte said quickly before leaving.

Joe looked up just in time to see her blond hair as she turned down the hallway. Ever since the dinner at Kevin and Danielle’s she hadn’t talked to Joe as much. Joe wondered if it was from embarrassment but to be honest, he didn’t care one bit.

He turned off his computer monitor and rolled away from the desk. Grabbing a few things he closed his office door behind him and walked down the hallway. He could hear the echo from Charlotte’s heels as she walked a few feet in front of him before taking a left turn into the meeting room. Joe soon followed her and took his usual seat to Dave’s right. He nodded to a few of the other employees as they entered and sat with his right leg resting on his left.

Nervousness overcame him. He really wanted to have one of his pieces in the exhibit tomorrow night. It would be the highlight of his photography career. His family would be proud too. They would see that he was, for the most part, happy with his life; especially after his little talk on Sunday night.

“Happy Friday, everyone!” Dave said, coming in and taking his seat at the end of the table. Everyone said their “hello’s” as Dave opened a folder and put his glasses on. “Well, let’s get down to business shall we? As you all know the exhibit in Houston is tomorrow night. In this folder I have the list of five of you who have been given the honor to have one piece each showcased; pieces that the owners of the exhibit have picked.”

Joe drummed his fingers on his knee nervously. He reached out for his glass of water and took a sip. Everyone looked at each other, wondering which of them would be going to Houston, and which ones would be staying home.

“So, without further adieu I would like to give congratulations to Jeff, Adrianne, Matt, Shawn, and Joe. I’d like the five of you to stay after so I can tell you which of your pieces will be showcased. For those of you who weren’t chosen, I want you all to know that you have come so far from your first days and next year, you could be showcased. And on that note…” he said, taking the list out and moving onto the next subject.

Joe relaxed in his seat and couldn’t help but smile. He looked at his fellow four co-workers who were chosen to have pieces in the exhibit. They all looked as happy and relieved as he felt. Out of the corner of his eye he saw Charlotte looked upset but it didn’t affect him. He turned his attention back to Dave who was saying something about the use of the copy machines.

****
Dave waited until all the other had left, leaving Joe, Jeff, Adrianne, Matt, and Shawn with him in private. Once the door clicked shut, he sat up in his seat and smiled at the five people before him. He opened the folder again, pulling out five photographs. Standing up, he walked around the table, he handed each photographer their piece, coming to Joe last. Dave smiled as he handed Joe the photograph.

Joe glanced down at the glossy photograph in his hands. His eyes widening as the light hit it. It was a photograph he had taken of Faith that morning in the park. He was surprised. He knew Dave had loved the results of the impromptu photo shoot but he had no idea one of them would be good enough to make it into an art exhibit.

“As you can see, the pieces that were picked all have some sort of nature aspect to them. They will be showcased together on a wall in the exhibit with your names and the titles of the pieces. So, I need you all to give me titles.” Dave said, holding a pen poised in position over a pad of paper.

Joe listened as his co-workers gave Dave their titles. He stared down at the photograph in front of him, into Faith’s deep blue eyes. No words could describe anything he felt for the picture but he had to pick something.

“Joe,” Dave said, clearing his throat. Joe looked up confused.

“Sorry?” he asked, setting the photograph on the glass table top in front of him.

“Your title… what will it be?” he asked. Joe looked down once more at Faith’s figure and looked back up at Dave.

“Imagine.” He said and Dave smiled.

“Alright. The five of you can go home and pack for Houston. The exhibit opens at seven o’clock tomorrow night. It is a somewhat long drive so please leave your homes by ten in the morning at the latest please. Your hotel reservations are at the Embassy Suites.” He said, handing each of the five individual folders containing important information. “If you have any loved ones who want to come inform them as soon as possible.”

“Thanks, Dave.” Joe said, shaking his bosses hand as he left the meeting room.

“See you tomorrow, Joe.” Dave said with a smile. Joe turned and walked down to his office, completely elated. He pulled his cell phone out of his pocket, dialing the all too familiar number and listening as it rang.

Hello?” her voice asked, ringing like a bell in his ears.

“Faith. I did it.” he said excitedly, turning into his office. “I got in.”

The exhibit?” she asked excitedly and he smiled at her enthusiasm.

“Yes. I got a piece in the exhibit. I can’t believe it.” he said, starting to pack up his stuff to go home. He grabbed his keys and walked back out into the hallway, locking his office door.

Joe! That’s so exciting!” she practically squealed.

“I still can’t believe it.” he said, exiting the building and walking to his car.

I can. I’m so proud of you. What picture did they pick?

“No way, that’s a surprise. You’ll have to come see it to find out.”

You want me to come?” she asked, sounding surprised.

“Yeah, I want everyone to come and see it.” he said, climbing into the car and starting the engine.

Okay… where do I have to go?” she asked.

“How about I pick you up tomorrow morning and we’ll drive down to Houston together. Is Nick working? We can make a road trip out of it.”

Actually he is working tomorrow. I’ll tell him though and see if he’ll meet us down there but yeah, I’ll go with you. Where’s the hotel so I can book a reservation?

“Just stay in my room. Save some money. They gave me a room with two beds I guess. As far as I can tell from the information sheet I got. You and Nick can take one and I’ll take the other.”

Wow, Joe. Are you sure?

“Yeah, it’s no problem. I’ll pick you up at nine thirty tomorrow?”

Sounds good. I’ll tell Nick when he gets home.

“Okay, and I’ll call everyone else when I get home.” He said, buckling his seatbelt. “See you tomorrow, Faith.”

Bye, Joe.” she said, hanging up.

****

The next morning, Joe left his apartment around nine fifteen to head over to Nick and Faith’s. He had called the rest of his family last night and they all said they would be there no matter what. Joe’s heart fluttered with nervousness. Not only for the exhibit to happen that night, but for the four hours he would have to spend in the car with Faith, and even then it would just be the two of them until the rest of his family showed up.

At almost exactly nine thirty he pulled into his brother’s driveway and shut the car off. Faith was out the door with her bags before Joe could get his seatbelt undone. He waved at Faith after she had locked the door and climbed out to help her put her bag in the trunk.

“Morning,” she said with a smile, carrying her bag to the car. Joe leaned down and kissed her cheek. His hands felt clammy as he took the bag from her and put it into the trunk as she climbed into the passenger’s seat.

“Ready to roll?” he asked, buckling his seatbelt.

“Let’s go.” She said excitedly. Joe smiled and pulled out of the driveway, starting their journey to Houston.

“So, Nick’s going to meet us later?” he asked as he made his way to the interstate.

“He said he will be there tonight by six thirty at the latest.” Faith said, nodding her head and turning to look out the window.

“And he’s cool about sharing a room?” Joe asked warily.

“Yeah, he’s totally fine with it.”

****

Four hours later the two arrived at the hotel. They climbed out and Joe handed his car key to the valet while Faith grabbed their bags from the trunk. Joe slung his camera over his shoulder and took his and Faith’s bags in his hands.

“Here,” Joe said, handing her the bag she brought as they stepped inside. “Go wait by the elevators and I’ll go check in.”

“Why do I have to wait by the elevators?” she asked, knitting her eyebrows together in confusion.

“They gave this room to me thinking one person was staying there and my boss is paying. If they find out more people are staying they’ll pay extra.”

“Right. I’ll see you by the elevators.” She said, taking her bag and heading to the elevators, tangling herself in the crowd. Joe turned and walked over to the concierge desk.

“Hello, welcome to the Embassy Suites. How can I help you?” the woman at the desk asked, smiling at Joe.

“Hi, I have a room for one-night under the name David Hobart.” Joe said, smiling. The woman nodded and typed the name into her computer.

“Oh, you’re one of the five photographers in the exhibit, correct?” she asked.

“That’s right.”

“Okay, I just need your name and I’ll give you your key card and you’re all set.”

“Joe Jonas.” He said.

“Alright Mr. Jonas, your room number is 425. Here is your key card. Congratulations on being in the exhibit.”

“Thank you,” he said with a smile. He turned to leave when she cleared her throat.

“Excuse me, Mr. Jonas?”

“Yes?” he asked, slowly turning back to her.

“Are you… Joe Jonas as in… the Joe Jonas?” she asked shyly. Joe sighed and smiled.

“Yeah, that’s me.”

“It’s very nice to have finally met you.” she said, her cheeks turning slightly pink. “Enjoy your stay.”

Joe gave one last smile and headed over to the elevators where Faith was waiting. She smiled when she saw Joe and he felt his stomach flip. He tried to think of other things. This wasn’t right. She was his sister-in-law and that night he would be sharing a room with her and her husband, his brother. He couldn’t do this. Not now.

“What floor?” Faith asked as they waited for an elevator to make its way to the lobby.

“Fourth.” Joe said.

The elevator behind them dinged as its doors opened. They turned and waited for the occupants to exit before making their way into it along with three other people. Joe pushed the four and watched as the six and seven also lit up from the other people.

It was silent except for the music playing over head. The doors opened with the same dinging sound on the fourth floor and Joe and Faith exited, following the signs to room 425. They entered and Faith walked over to the closest bed, setting her bag on it. Joe followed and opened the curtain letting them look down upon Houston.

“This room is nice.” Faith said, walking over and joining him at the window.

“Very,” Joe said in agreement, looking over at her to see her smiling at him.

****

“You almost ready to go?” Faith asked, looking at herself in the closet mirror one more time.

Joe stood in the bathroom, fixing his hair. The light peaked out through the open door, the edge reaching Faith’s feet. He looked out to see her standing there in her black dress, so sleek on her body and he squeezed his eyes shut briefly.

“Yeah, I’m coming.” He said, stepping into the bedroom area. “Everyone’s meeting us downstairs right?”

“Yeah except Nick who isn’t here yet.”

“He’ll be here.” Joe said, putting his coat on. Faith looked up at him under her dark eyelashes, grabbing her purse. “He’ll be here.”

“Let’s go.” She whispered, heading to the door. “We don’t want to keep them waiting.”

“Right.” Joe said, following her out the door, tucking his wallet into his pants’ pocket.

They rode the elevator down to the lobby to meet the rest of the family. Rounding the corner the family came into view, the five of them standing there waiting for Faith and Joe. Once they saw the two Denise beamed and Joe walked into her arms for a hug.

“Congratulations, sweetheart.” She said, giving him a squeeze.

“Thanks, Mom.” He said, pulling away.

“Oh, Nick’s not here yet?” Dani asked as the party of seven made their way out of the hotel.

“No, but he should be here soon.” Faith said as they waited for the valets to arrive with the cars.

“Good. We’ll see you in a bit.” She said, climbing into the car with Kevin. Faith waved before climbing into the car with Joe.

“To the exhibit driver.” She said in a phony British accent as she buckled her seatbelt.

“Faith,” Joe said, looking over at her. Her calm blue eyes stared at him, waiting for him to speak. “I’m nervous.”

She smiled and placed her hand on his.

“You’ll be great.” She whispered. He nodded his head and looked down at the steering wheel. “Hey,” she said and he looked over at her. She pushed some hair behind her ear and smiled slightly. “I promise.”

****

“Wow.” Faith said, stepping into the exhibit.

“There are so many people here.” Joe muttered, straightening his tie.

“Yeah, it’s so exciting!” she exclaimed as they weaved their way through the crowd. They found the rest of the family at a table getting pamphlets for the exhibit.

“Hey! Joe look, your name is in here.” Dani said excitedly, pointing at a page in the pamphlet. “So your piece is called Imagine?”

“Yes it is.”

“Why?”

“You’ll see.” He said with a smile.

“Have you seen Nick around? Do you know if he’s here yet?” Faith asked Kevin as the family walked over to the wall where Joe and his co-workers pieces would be.

“No, haven’t seen him. He might be around though.”

“Oh. My. God.” Dani said.

“What?” Faith asked, looking up. Dani grabbed Faith’s arms and moved her to the front of the crowd by the wall. Joe’s heart fluttered in nervousness as Faith’s eyes widened when she saw the illuminated portrait in front of her.

Image
Imagine - Joseph Jonas

“Whoa.” She whispered.

She slowly turned her body to Joe who smiled sheepishly at her. Out of the corner of his eye, Joe saw Frankie grinning at him. His parents’ eyes darted back and forth between him and Faith. Danielle looked slightly worried and Kevin seemed confused.

“So…” he said slowly, drawing the word out.

“I’m… speechless.” She said.

“Just so you know… I didn’t pick it. I was just as surprised as you are.” He admitted. He watched as their family dispersed and walked around the exhibit, looking at the other pieces.

“Oh, I don’t know about that.” She said, her eyes still glued in front of her. The photograph of herself in front of her was so amazing. “That doesn’t even look like me.”

“It looks exactly like you.” he said, turning to her.

“But… that’s beautiful and I’m… I’m just Faith.”

“Faith… you are beautiful.” He said and he saw her blush.

“You know…” she said, musing at the photograph in front of her. “This reminds me of something. From a long time ago.”

“What would that be?” Joe asked.

“A quote from One Tree Hill… you remember, that show that used to be on the CW?” she asked.

“Yeah, I remember. What’s the quote?”

“ “Imagine a future moment in your life where all your dreams come true. You know it’s the greatest moment of your life and you get to experience it with one person. Who’s standing next to you?” ” she said slowly, glancing at Joe when she was done.

Joe mulled over what she said and glanced back up at the photograph. He stared at Faith in the photograph, remembering that day and how much fun they had. He looked back a few years in his memory from when he had first met Faith. In his mind Faith had dated him, not Nick. Faith had married him, and not Nick. Everything in his life was not how he wanted it to be. He imagined Faith standing next to him. And right now, in reality, she was.

“I know, it’s stupid but… that’s what I think of.” She said, looking back up at the photograph.

“It’s not stupid.” He whispered. “Come on, let’s go look around.”

“Wait until Nick sees this.” She whispered, turning with Joe to walk around the exhibit.

****

Joe winced as he heard Faith crying over in the other bed. Nick hadn’t showed up. They stayed at the exhibit until ten o’clock and he hadn’t showed up. He hadn’t even called. Faith had left him countless messages; Joe had left a few himself. He never called back.

They left the exhibit solemnly, Faith quieter than ever. Once at the hotel they rode the elevator up, the only sound the music playing from above once again. Joe unlocked the room and Faith walked right in, grabbing her pajamas and heading to the bathroom to change.

Joe changed quickly in the bedroom, and climbed into his bed. Faith flicked the bathroom light off and climbed into her bed. The only sound was the rustling of the sheets as she moved around under the covers. Joe reached over and turned off the lamp on the table before turning over in his bed.

“Goodnight, Joe.” she whispered.

Joe squeezed his eyes shut as he heard the pain in her voice. He stayed silent, hoping to hear her breath grow steady as she fell asleep. As he listened her breath instead grew faster and sharper, a lot shakier than it normally should be. Then he heard the sobs.

He rolled over as quietly as he could. In the glow of the moonlight he saw the silhouette of her body shaking with her tears. He hated seeing her this way. He hated seeing her reaction to things that Nick did or didn’t do. It wasn’t right. This wasn’t how marriage was supposed to go for Faith… and Nick. Nick should know better. He couldn’t take it anymore. Joe climbed out of his bed and walked around to the side of Faith’s bed, climbing on top next to her.

He lightly put his hand on her shoulder, stroking her arm and shushing her. She blinked her eyes open and clutched onto his shirt. Joe wrapped his arm around her back and pulled her into his chest, smoothing down her hair.

“Why?” she asked, her breath catching in her throat with her sobs. “Why didn’t he come? Why didn’t he call? He should have come.”

“I know.” He said in a whisper as she pressed her face to his shoulder. “It’s okay. It’ll be okay.”

“Promise me.” She sobbed. “Promise me that it will be o… okay.”

“I promise that it will be okay.” He whispered, kissing her forehead. “I promise.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So this is the longest chapter I've written (so far) for this story. I like it. A lot.

Oh and that quote from One Tree Hill... I don't watch the show. I just found it on a bumper sticker on facebook and thought it went perfectly. So... if any of you watch that show... well... there ya go :p

BIG PLANS coming for this story guys. I sat down the other day and planned out what will happen in the rest of the chapters. Shows how much time I have on my hands. I need to go back to college. Bah.

There's this awesome thing called the Bring Mibba Back Awards. I've been voting for people's stories to win and it would be awesome if some people voted for my stories. XD Good luck to everyone who gets nominated!

Thoughts on this chapter? We're so close to 10 stars. I can feel it. You readers all rock XD
Thanks so much for reading!!

~Steph <3