When I Look At You

Big Mouth

A few days later Faith stood in the master bathroom staring at the mirror, a curling iron in hand, half of her hair already curled loosely. Nick walked into the bathroom, lightly brushing his hand against Faith’s back as he walked to the miniature linen closet. He pulled out a towel and walked over to the shower, turning on the hot water to let it run for a moment.

“Hey hun, can you wait like ten minutes to take your shower?” Faith asked. “If you start now the steam is going to ruin my hair.”

“Sorry, I didn’t realize you were doing something with your hair.” He said, turning the knob. Faith stared at his back for a moment in disbelief. He had just walked past her and he didn’t even notice.

How is that possible? She wondered.

“It’s alright.” She said, continuing her work. “Does it look okay? This is a new curler so I’m not sure if the effects are the same.” He turned and looked at her quickly before running the water in the sink and grabbing his razor.

“It looks fine.” He said, applying shaving cream to his face. Faith turned her face to the mirror again. She could see the sadness reflected in her blue eyes. It was weird for Nick to act this way.

Or has it always been this way and I just ignored it? She asked herself, her eyes widening at the thought.

“Thanks,” she said quietly and out of the corner of her eye she saw him smile at her through the mirror.

****

“This is so exciting.” Danielle said as they strolled arm in arm through the mall another few days later. “The Jonas wives out and about.”

“Thanks for suggesting this Dani.” Faith said cheerfully as they walked into a Bath & Body Works. “Sitting at home has been kind of boring. Especially since Nick has been working with the guys on the newest Administration album non-stop since the day after we got back from our honeymoon…”

“Aw, he’s just excited. You know how he gets when ideas pop into his head.” Danielle said picking up the newest scent of lotion and sampling it.

“I know. I was just hoping he’d be home more. He’s always so exhausted when he comes back. We haven’t even had dinner together since he doesn’t get back until almost ten o’clock. The sad thing is that we’ve only been married about two weeks.”

“It was similar when Kevin and I first got married and the three of them were still the Jonas Brothers. Nick had just kicked off the Administration’s first tour but they were still working on stuff as the Jonas Brothers so it was a long ordeal. Don’t worry, he’ll have this wrapped up soon since he’s such a work horse.” She said, smiling sympathetically at her sister-in-law.

“You’re right.” Faith said, trying on another new scented lotion.

“Have you talked to Joe lately? He’s been so busy this week, I always get his voicemail.”

“Yeah, I talked to him a few days ago actually.” Faith said, trying to keep her cool. When Danielle mentioned Joe her heart seemed to skip a beat but she pushed the thought away. “Apparently the studio has the chance to have some pieces put into a really famous exhibit so Dave, his boss, wants everyone to get really amazing photographs. They have a big meeting on Friday to see whose pieces will be in it so he’s working hard.”

“Wow. That will be amazing if one of his gets in.”

“Yeah, it would be cool.”

“Did he say when the exhibit is?”

“Next Saturday. In Houston.”

“Hopefully he’ll get one in. He’d be so excited.” Danielle said with a smile, taking her basket up to the register.

“I think everyone would.”

“You know, I think he won’t take my calls.”

“Why do you think that?” Faith asked surprised.

“Well, when you and Nick were on your honeymoon I invited him to dinner to “try a new recipe”. I was really setting him up on a blind date. Kevin didn’t even know.”

“Oh,” Faith said, turning her eyes to her hands resting on the register’s counter. “So… what happened?”

“Oh it was a disaster. He had no interest in her whatsoever but I didn’t find out until after she left. Kevin went on this whole ridiculous bit saying how his leg was haunted by a dead tortoise or walrus or something.”

“Why would he do that?” Faith asked, letting a small laugh escape from her lips.

“Lynnie, the girl I was setting Joe up with, is a psychologist so Kevin was apparently trying to direct her attention away from Joe.” Danielle said rolling her eyes.

“Yeah that sounds like Kevin.” Faith said causing Danielle to laugh.

“You know… I should do another dinner! This time for the whole family though. You and Nick; Mom and Dad; Frankie and his girlfriend; It will be fun!”

“Yeah it would but… what about Joe?”

“What do you mean?”

“Well… he’d be the odd man out.” Faith pointed out.

“Oh… that’s right. Maybe I could set him up with another of my friends.”

“Maybe he could bring the new girl from work.” Faith said automatically. Once the words were out her eyes went wide and she clamped her lips shut.

Did I really just say that?

“A new girl? That’s perfect! What’s her name?” Danielle asked, taking her bag from the cashier and turning to leave the store. Faith followed slowly.

I did just say that.

“Um… Charlotte. But… I don’t know Dani, I mean; I don’t think he knows her all that well and…”

“And what better way to get to know a co-worker than to invite her to dinner?” Danielle asked, linking her arm through Faith’s again.

“Well sure but I’m not so sure how bringing her to a family dinner before anything else would be good. It would probably freak her out.” Faith said, trying to turn the situation differently.

“I’m sure it won’t be a problem. I’ll pop into his work and invite her myself.” Danielle said, shrugging her shoulders.

“Uh… Dani…”

“Come on, let’s go to Macy’s and get you a new dress.”

“I don’t really need a new…”

“Yes you do. And you should come with me to invite Joe to dinner.” Dani said, turning to her with a smile.

“Oh I don’t know. I don’t want to bother him.”

“He won’t mind. I guarantee it.”

I wouldn’t be so sure of that… Faith thought as they turned the corner into the women’s department at Macy’s.

****

“Where’s his office again?” Dani asked, walking by Faith’s side through the halls of Joe’s work studio.

“Take a right at the end of this hallway.” Faith said with a sigh.

“This is so exciting. I hope she says yes!” Danielle squealed as they turned the corner.

“Thrilling.” Faith said with very little enthusiasm.

Danielle stopped outside Joe’s office door and rapped lightly. Faith could hear some shuffling before the door opened a crack. When Joe’s face came into view Faith smiled slightly. Joe smiled wide and opened his door letting them in.

“Well to what do I owe this surprise?” he asked, getting behind his desk as they sat in the other chairs. Faith looked around at the photographs he had on the walls

“Well, the other day when Faith and I were at the mall I got to thinking that…”

“Uh-oh.” Joe said causing Faith to laugh.

“Now that Nick and Faith are home we should have one nice big family dinner.” Danielle said enthusiastically.

“Sure,” Joe said, shrugging his shoulders and leaning back in his chair. “Sounds good to me.”

“And I want you to invite Charlotte.” She said and Joe instantly looked over to Faith.

Sorry” she mouthed giving him an apologetic pout. He sat up and put his hands on the desk.

“Dani, I don’t know if that’s a good idea. I mean, I barely know the girl.”

“That’s why we think it’s a good idea if you bring her.”

“Oh really?” Joe asked, turning his attention to Faith. She swallowed and bit her lip as Danielle turned to her with a smile.

“Absolutely.” She said through her teeth.

“Where is she? I’d like to meet her.” Danielle said brightly.

“I don’t know. I haven’t seen her yet today.”

“Well what does she look like? Faith and I will find her.”

“Dani, no. That’s…. weird.” Faith said.

“Well you two are probably going to be very busy shopping for this dinner. When is it by the way?”

“Sunday night. Six o’clock at my and Kevin’s place.”

“Of course. I’ll let you two go so you can do all the shopping and if I see Charlotte I’ll ask her.” Joe said, getting ready to stand up.

“Ask me what?” a light voice asked from the doorway.

“Ah, Charlotte. How… great that you’re here.” Joe said, running a hand through his hair.

Faith glanced over her shoulder to take a look at Charlotte. She looked just as Joe had described her. Kind of cute with absolutely fake blonde hair… Faith watched as Danielle excitedly stood up and shook hands with Charlotte, introducing herself with a smile.

“It’s so nice to meet you! We were just talking about you.”

“Really?” Charlotte asked, her cheeks turning a slight pink.

“Yes. This is Faith by the way.” Dani said, laying her hand towards Faith.

“Hi,” Faith said quietly, waving.

“Nice to meet you both…. So… why exactly were you talking about me?”

“Well, I’m having a huge dinner on Sunday and I would love for you to come with Joe.” Danielle said, smiling at her. Charlotte’s face grew slightly confused.

“You don’t have to.” Joe said quickly. “It’s a family thing but apparently Danielle felt the need to keep the numbers even and she thought I’d like to have you come.”

“Are you saying you wouldn’t like me to come?” Charlotte asked, crossing her arms, a smirk on her face.

“No! That’s not what I’m saying. I just don’t want you to feel… awkward.”

“Okay well… I’ll think about it.” She said, giving Danielle a smile. “I’ll let Joe know so he can get back to you in adequate time.”

“Wonderful. We really hope you come. Right Faith?”

“Yeah. It will be just… splendid.” Faith said, putting the fakest smile on her face ever. Neither Charlotte nor Danielle noticed but Joe gave her an amused look, raising his eyebrows.

“Okay, well I should get back to work. Bye,” she said, waving and turning left out the door.

“Mom is going to love her.” Danielle squealed once Charlotte was out of ear shot.

“Dani, it’s not like I’d be bringing her home as my girlfriends. It’s just for dinner.” Joe said exasperatedly.

“I know, I know. Don’t have a cow.” She said, rolling her eyes. “Faith, we should go. Let me know by Saturday, please.” She said, giving Joe a hug and kiss on the cheek.

“Trust me I will. I don’t wish to see the wrath of Danielle.”

“No, you don’t.” she said, stepping out into the hallway. Faith stood up and walked up to Joe.

“I’m so, so, so, sorry.” She said pleadingly.

“I can tell.” He said, his lips twitching. “She’ll probably say yes.”

“Mm… I think she might.”

“So… I’ll see you Sunday night.” He said, wrapping his arms around Faith and kissing her cheek. She couldn’t help but feel comfortable in his embrace. Safe.

“Yes, I hope you’ll have good news from your meeting.” She said, stepping closer to the door, her eyes still locked on his.

“I hope so too.” He said, letting out a breath of air.

“You’ll get one in. I just know it.” She said, giving a wink as she joined Danielle in the hallway.

“Ready?”

“Yeah, let’s go.” She said as they started walking, Danielle in front of her.

Faith turned her head slightly to glance back at Joe’s office. She was surprised to see him standing in the doorway, watching them leave and she quickly turned her head back front. She couldn’t help the smile that grew on her face. Faith looked down to hide the smile in case Dani turned around and saw light shine off of her wedding ring. Her smile faded as something tugged at her heart.
♠ ♠ ♠
Guys.

You. ROCK.

With the first 8 chapters of this story I have 8 stars. That's one star per chapter. Let's see if we can have 10 stars with chapter 10! You know how to do that? COMMENTS!

I love all your comments. Really. I never imagined this story being this popular. Thank you so, so, SO much! :D

~Steph <3