Status: Updates come through on this slowly but surely guys. Remember, I thrive on your feedback

Loving the Lycan

-1-

When I think back over the years, I don’t think there’s ever been a time when I’ve just “fit in”. I’ve never conformed to stereotype or been typecast, simply because no one has ever known what pigeonhole to put me in. In hindsight, there are times when I wish I did have friends. It always seemed that because my classmates throughout the years didn’t quite know what to make of me, they wouldn’t touch me with a ten foot barge pole. Yes, I was a loner and yes, I was different and you know what, it’s only really over the last few years that I’ve embraced that and enjoyed the fact that I was and will never be the same as everyone else.

I’m 23 now and have been attending University since the age of 19. I love it here; I really do “fit in” and my grades are really picking up and I’m flourishing. On my first day of Central University for Gifted Individuals (I’ll explain the name later), I met a boy called Henry who has been my best, best friend ever since. He says he loves me, which is great, but I don’t know how he can love a girl who can read people’s minds (sometimes more than one at once) and make them do things they don’t know they’re going to. He says he loves me for all I am and all that I do and I suppose I really shouldn’t question it, but when you’ve had no friends apart from your wonderful parents and amazing younger Sister, who all may I add also don’t “fit in”, you tend to doubt anyone who wants to get close to you.

I love Henry too though. It’s a strange kind of love. We are the best of friends but don’t think of each other as girlfriend and boyfriend. The last time another girl showed any interest in Henry, I found that she only wanted him to show off in front of her blonde, look-and-sound-a-like friends. You see, Henry is gifted too although his power is very different to mine. Henry is a Lycan; human by day, werewolf by night. He’s very handsome but not in the conventional way. He’s about 5ft 8” and pretty fit; muscled but not overly so. He has mid length black, shaggy hair and has the most beautiful eyes I’ve ever seen. His eye colour changes to suit his mood, but generally his eyes are so brown they look black. Henry has no particular style, it’s just his. He’s always smartly dressed but not in a suit and tie way. He loves to wear chord’s and his faded jeans, mostly teamed up with very well fitting band t-shirts or black shirts and he’s got the biggest collection of Con’s and DM’s I’ve ever seen. Damn, he’s got more than me and that’s saying something.

Anyway, let us carry on (anyone would think I’m obsessed?!). In the same instance, when another boy has shown any interest in me (and believe me that doesn’t happen very often), he follows me around like a shadow; always lurking behind in the background. The last boy that took a shine to me went a little too far.

In year one of Uni, after one of our meditation classes (we had bi-weekly meditation classes to harness the gift’s each one of us had), a boy named Alex pulled me out of the door after him, to my shock and surprise, and told me to close my eyes. Apparently he had a surprise for me. Once out of the door and after a few paces, he blindfolded me. This was not good. To read minds I needed to be able to see the person who I wanted to read the mind of. I felt Alex pulling and leading me to somewhere and then he shoved me against what felt like a wall. He forced himself on to me and I felt his lips crash roughly against mine. His hands were everywhere and as much as I struggled to free myself from his vice like grip, he was just too strong. He then whispered sharply into my ear.

“Quit struggling Izzy – it’s really not going to help you. Don’t think for one minute I’m doing this ‘cause I fancy you, you slut. You’re the last girl on earth I’d want to do anything like this with!” That last sentence hurt and I stifled a sob. I didn’t want to let on how scared and upset I was and all I could mutter was, “Why Alex?”

“ ‘Cause you deserve being taught a lesson!” he said, “People are getting sick and tired of your ‘niceness’, especially me and you ought to have some hate put into you and I’m going to be the one to do it. That and the fact that I want to make my ex jealous.”

He smothered his face into my neck and whilst he was having his fun I just decided to pretend I was dead. I went limp which seriously pissed him off; he wanted a good fight. All I could think was, “what have I done to deserve this?” My eyes closed and then wham, Alex was on the floor pleading with a man who looked at least twice the size of him and who was kneeling down over his feeble little body. I looked closer and to my joy and relief, I realised it was Henry. He wasn’t werewolf yet, it was far too early for that, but when he looked around at me his canines were bared and his eyes looked like they were on fire. Although he looked pretty terrifying, he smiled at me and I knew that everything was going to be alright.

Henry whispered something into Alex’s pale face as he held his head just off the floor by his hair and Alex got to his trembling legs, screamed, and then ran away like his life depended on it. Henry spat on the floor of this, what looked like, disused corridor and turned on his heel to face me. He was in front of my face in a single stride. His eyes bored into mine. I’d love to have known what he was thinking at that moment. The only mind I can’t read would just so happen to be my best friend, wouldn’t it? He looked like he was going to start crying, but instead he cupped my face in his huge hands and said, “No one will ever hurt you like that ever, ever again. They won’t have the chance to.” He pulled me into his manly arms and he rested his head on my chest and placed his chin atop my head. It took me a minute to relax into him and as I put my arms round his waist, I said, “You promise?”

“I promise.” He replied, “I promise I will never leave your side again unless I desperately need to* and then if I do, you will still be looked after. I’ll never let them hurt you again Izzy, I promise!”

And that’s what our friendship was like and still is for that matter. We just know we’ll always be together and yes, people think we’re an item – well, let them think. We don’t have to prove anything to anyone. We are just what we are and who we are; two people who are gifted – two people who are special. Special because of who they are and special, always, to each other.

(1,255 words)