Status: Updates come through on this slowly but surely guys. Remember, I thrive on your feedback

Loving the Lycan

-2-

Central University for Gifted Individuals was unlike any other educational institution you or I have ever heard of. The name, quite obviously, would suggest that in the first place.

When I was at my first year of “normal” high school I was ridiculed and made to feel a total outcast because of my powers. It was very confusing at the time; you know, being an 11 year old who just out of nowhere could read the minds of everyone around her? Believe me, there were a lot of things I really did not wish to hear. After around 6 months, from what I can recall, I remember the headmistress of the high school meeting with my parents. She explained that as much as I was a good, hardworking pupil she felt that my power and the bullying that came as a direct result of this would mean that eventually my demeanour and grades would suffer. My parents, at that time, knew there was something about me that was different (both my parents and younger sister could relate; they had powers too) but they did not quite know the full extent of my powers. My headmistress actually seemed pretty upset that she had to have this meeting and I knew she didn’t want me to leave school really, but we all knew that she had my best interests at heart.

My parents promptly took me out of high school and decided to hire a home learning teacher. Not just any teacher though, he too had a power. Mr McElroy understood completely what it was like to be made an outcast because of his “power” too. He too had to leave mainstream high school due to the fact that he could make himself invisible whenever it suited. Yes, he would just disappear!

It was important for me to finally get a teacher that didn’t see my power as a hindrance and from there on in, my confidence along with my grades flourished. When it came to my 18th birthday my parents and Mr McElroy came to a mutual decision to enrol me into the University I’m attending now. I think it’s the best decision they ever made even though I didn’t have much say in the matter.

I remember my induction day at Central University for Gifted Individuals like it was yesterday. My parents, sister and Mr McElroy practically walked me to the huge wrought iron gates (probably the most embarrassing moment of my life, but they needed to do it so I obliged). We all stared in awe at the building that lay beyond the gates. This, in no way, looked like your “average” university. I can only liken it to a hybrid cross between a stately home and a cathedral. It was the most exquisite and beautiful building I had ever seen in my entire life.

When I eventually arrived at the enormous solid mahogany front doors, they slowly creaked open out into a majestic lobby area. The floor was tiled with what looked like polished slate and around the walls were huge paintings of men and women, some paintings looking very dark and old and others looking more recent. Directly in the centre of the lobby was a broad staircase which also looked like it was fashioned from mahogany. The staircase went up onto a landing for which the centrepiece was an enormous stained glass window that spanned the expanse of the landing. Hanging at the sides of the window were long, thick, heavy, blood red curtains. It’s not often I’m rendered speechless, but seriously, that first glimpse of the University did exactly that.

I was broken from my awe inspired trance by a polite cough coming from behind me and as I spun round to see where the cough came from, there stood a middle aged man in a striking charcoal grey suit. His hair wasn’t grey as such, more like black with hints of platinum white peppering through. His face was lined but not wrinkled. His skin was not far off an olive colour and his eyes almost a jade green. He was tall and slim and exuded charm. I couldn’t speak; whether I was still in awe of the building or him or both, I was not sure, but he managed to break the awkward silence.

“Isabelle?” he asked, “Isabelle Fletcher?”

“Erm, yes,” I stuttered, recovering from my trance like state, “that’s me.”

“Hello there Isabelle, my name is Robert Stanley and I’m the headmaster of Central University for Gifted Individuals. I’m here to show you around the building and to generally just get you acquainted with everyone and everything. How do you feel about that?” he asked, his voice sounding almost musical. He probably could have said anything at that point and I would have promptly agreed.

“That sounds fine to me, so yes, lead the way,” I said, finally starting to come round, “Oh and please, call me Izzy. I can’t remember the last time anyone called me Isabelle apart from my parents when I occasionally got into trouble.” I let out a nervous, over the top, totally unnecessary giggle. Oh my God, sometimes I wish my brain went into action before my mouth!

“Izzy it is then and likewise, please call me Robert. Mr Stanley sounds far too stern and makes me feel like an old man. I am only 40 you know?” he laughed and patted my shoulder, “Right then Izzy, if you would like to follow me?”

********************

There was absolutely no pressure to make use of the accommodation offered within the University Halls of Residence but after I had been given the full guided tour of the place and was shown the room that would be mine if I so wished it to be, there was no question in my mind what I wanted to do. I sat on the double bed in my now, plush new room and pulled out my mobile phone from my bag. My Mom answered after one ring and I explained that I loved the place so much so far (bearing in mind this was only my first day) that as long as she and Dad didn’t mind, I would stay in halls in the week to make it easier for me and go home every weekend. Although I wanted my own independence, my home was with my parents both materialistically and emotionally. That’s where I belong. My mother, I remember, screamed down the phone with excitement and she told me not to worry at all. She knew I would have a wonderful time there which meant we would have lots to talk about when the weekend’s came.

My Mom arranged with my Dad the very next day to ferry some of my belongings to the University. Just the odds and ends, you know how it is? They may as well have bought my whole wardrobe with them too. My Sister, Elizabeth, was dragging along a suitcase which turned out to be full of yet more of my clothes and on her back she carried my camping rucksack which had my DM’s, con’s, black biker boots, assorted underwear, toiletries, make up bag, my iPod and speakers (which I seriously could not be without) and my favourite stuffed toy, Gilbert. Gilbert still has pride of place on my pillows even now. He’s a battered old teddy but I love him. He’s helped me through a lot, believe me.

My family were as much in awe of the building as I was and when they saw my room they knew straight away that I’d be happy and that they’d made the right decision in sending me there. After a brief introduction to Mr Stanley (Robert, I mean) they left me to it and I was happy to be alone again, for now. I remember how tired I felt and all I wanted to do was lie on my bed and relax.

********************

I remember my first full day at Central University for Gifted Individuals. I awoke at 7:00am, which is normally far too early for my liking, so I remember reading a little before getting washed up and changing into my usual attire of black jeans, My Chemical Romance t-shirt and my black and white converse. After putting a brush through my dishevelled dark brown, shoulder length hair and applying a little make up I popped all the stationary I needed for the day into my messenger bag. I remember feeling pretty damn nervous about facing the reality of University life and remember –
This was not your normal University! I felt I must start as I meant to go on and hoped beyond hope that I would finally fit in somewhere.