Status: Updates come through on this slowly but surely guys. Remember, I thrive on your feedback

Loving the Lycan

-3-

That was the day I first met Henry. As I aimlessly ambled through the echoing old corridors of the University, at times almost bumping into the throngs of students that passed me, I remember spotting one student in particular. Through all the madness and chaos, I saw him standing there at the far end of the corridor. He was leaning nonchalantly up against a large ornate windowsill fiddling with his hands, almost as if waiting for someone or something. The chaos seemed to stop as I zoned in on him and felt myself being drawn, as if he were a magnet pulling me in, towards him. Before I realised I was standing directly in front of him, gawping as if I’d just met a member of my favourite band in the whole world. Whether he chose to ignore me or whether he just didn’t realise I was blatantly staring, mouth agog, I do not know but after a moment, he looked up at me.

In retrospect, I cannot even begin to explain what passed between us as we looked at each other. It was as if I’d known him forever. I felt I knew even though I’d never met him before that first day at Uni. There was also a flicker of, shall we say, recognition in his eyes. And then he smiled. And it was no ordinary smile; his whole face glowed. I was totally transfixed. It felt like he was talking to me although no sound came from his unmoving mouth. Just as I felt the desire to introduce myself, he spoke.

“Hey Izzy,” he said, his voice oozing like honey out of his near perfect mouth, “You coming with me to get our timetables? I’ve been waiting for you for so long.”

I shook my head and blinked my eyes, looking as if I’d just been slapped in the face. Shocked? Surprised? Yes on both counts. I finally managed a reply.

“Pardon me, but do I know you?” I stuttered almost as an apology.

“Well,” he replied, “You came to me so I would hope so.” Was I dreaming this? It seemed obvious that he knew me but how exactly is beyond me.

“Ok, I guess you’re kind of right, but I know I’ve never met you before.” I was really confused and surely he could see that. “I saw you at the end of the corridor and just felt the urge to come and speak to you.”

“In all fairness Izzy,” he said, “on the basis of this meeting, I wouldn’t say that talking was your strong point.” He let out a musical giggle; the music was soft and sultry. He could obviously see I was struggling and just a little lost for words. He pushed himself up from his leaning position and hooked his arm around my shoulders.

“Now, come on. At this rate we’ll be late for all those lectures we don’t know about ‘cause we were too late to pick up our timetables. We’ve got to get moving, ok?” He squeezed me close to his chest and smiled. I had no reply other than the flush of red that had exploded over my cheeks and a smile, hoping he’s know I agreed.

********************

After collecting a timetable each from the Uni’s old, stuck-in-the-50’s-style Receptionist, we stood outside and checked our itinerary for the rest of the day.

“What you got first?” he asked

“English Literature. You?” I replied, having a feeling I knew what the answer would be.

“Ditto!” he said excitedly, losing the oozing honey sound from his voice, “Izzy, this is going to be the best day ever! Let me look at yours?”

“I’m really hoping you mean my timetable?” I laughed shyly. Oh my God, could I be any more embarrassing?

“Oh, ha ha, yes. Of course, what else could you have meant?” The honey was back where it belonged and he winked playfully at me. I handed him my timetable and he snatched it to his to compare. A smile slowly spread across his face.

“Do you believe in fate Izzy?” he asked.

“Actually, yes I do.” I replied.

“Well, it would seem fate is strongly on our side. It looks like we’ll be spending a lot more time together that I originally presumed.” He said as he handed both of our timetables back to me. It seemed Henry was right. There were only two differences (that I could see anyway) in the otherwise identical schedules and that was that our general studies lectures were on different days; mine on Friday afternoon and his on a Wednesday morning. As a replacement, we both had free periods.

“Are you ok with this?” I asked, “Are you ok with spending so much time together considering we barely know each other?”

“Well,” he replied, “It would seem that way usually but you know, Izzy, we were meant to be together. All this has happened for a reason. Maybe we’ve always known each other in a parallel universe or something.” Maybe he was right; after all, this was not, as I’ve said before, a normal University. I suppose anything could’ve happened really.

“It wouldn’t surprise me at all,” I echoed my thoughts, “and I suppose it means we get to know each other a bit better. Oh, on that note, it would be an idea if I actually knew your name?” We talked like we’d known each other forever and I had never asked this guys name.

“Oh, of course, yes,” he replied; his musical laughter making an appearance again, “Izzy, I’m Henry and I do believe we’re going to be the best of friends.”

Strangely, I felt exactly the same.

********************

That first English Lit lecture seemed to race by. To this day, I still don’t recall anything that went on in it, mainly due to the fact that a) I could not stop gawping at Henry who sitting next to me on my left and b) I was racking my already exhausted brain just trying to think how I knew him. The result was futile and before I knew it, the bell signalling the end of the lecture was sounding. I was woken from my reverie by Henry, who had already shoved my belongings into my messenger bag before scooping his right arm through my left and wrenching me upright.

“Come on Izzy,” he said, “Let’s go get some lunch and sit outside. There’s a grassy bank out back where I normally sit and watch the world, and the superpower students, go by; all that whilst I’m chowing down on some tasty morsel.” Only in around a year later would I see the double entendre that statement held.

“Ok, lead the way Henry.” I smiled and winked at him.

That was my first meeting with Henry and I’m pleased to say that it certainly wasn’t the last. I know now that I met my soul mate that day.