Status: About to be rewritten. Please read the Author's note (Chap 50) for further information. Thks x

Dreams of Tomorrow

Chapter 15.

Athalya was lying wide awake in the big bed, looking up at the ceiling and trying to hear any sound that might indicate her that someone was up in the house.
She heard something drop downstairs, followed by quiet cursing. Yeap, Billie Joe was up at least.

Athalya sat up on the mattress, and rubbed her face. What now…?

She looked at the bathroom door in front of her and bit her lip, before looking down at her PJs wondering what to do.

Part of her wanted to go and take a shower before going down, while the other part just wanted to go downstairs in her PJS.

She started to wonder if Billie Joe and Adrienne would be dressed and then, she thought about Joey and Jakob and she threw the covers to the end of the bed. She walked over to the window, opened the curtains, opened the window and then walked into the bathroom. She grabbed an elastic from her toiletries bag and tied her hair up before splashing some waters on her face and walking out of the bed room. She slowly but surely made her way downstairs, trying to remember the way to the kitchen.

She had been right not to bother getting ready before breakfast. Adrienne was wearing a pair a white cotton pants with one of Billie Joe’s old T-shirt, her hair was a mess, just like Athalya’s. She was preparing Jakob’s bottle. Joey was setting the table, in his blue pajamas, with the help of his shirtless father. Billie Joe had just thrown some pants on, not bothering with a T-shirt. Jakob was perched on his baby-chair.

“Morning.” Said Athalya with a smile as she entered the kitchen with her dark cotton pants and her really old and worn out Green Day shirt.

“Lya!” squealed Joey, giving the spoons he was carrying to his father before rushing to Athalya and wrapped his arms around his legs.

“Hey Joey, did you sleep well?” she asked, ruffling his hair.

“Yeap!” he replied, grinning up at her.

“That’s cool!” she said when he took her hand. She chuckled and went over to great Adrienne with a hug.

“Did you sleep well Lya?” asked Adrienne.

“Wonderfully, thank you. Did Jakob cry?” asked Athalya, letting go of the older woman.

“No, no he didn’t.” she replied with a smile. “What do you want for breakfast?” she asked.

“Oh I don’t mind, whatever you have will be perfectly fine with me.” Replied Athalya, letting go of Joey’s hand and helping Adrienne with whatever she was doing at the moment.

“Hum hum…”

Athalya raised an eyebrow and turned around, only to face Billie Joe.
“And where’s my hug?” he asked, holding his arms open.

“It’s hiding, just like your T-shirt…” she replied, patting his shoulder and heading to the breakfast table, to give Joey his cereals. Adrienne chuckled and kissed her husband on the cheek.

“Burn.” She whispered before he could react and walked towards the table with Jakob’s bottle.

“Is that so? Is everyone against me now?” he asked, sighing dramatically. “Joey, my first son. You love your Daddy, right?” asked Billie Joe, pulling out a chair and sitting down opposite Athalya.

Athalya was running her hand through the young boy’s hair absent-mindly. Joey grinned.

“Of course I do daddy.” He said before taking a mouthful of cereals. Adrienne took Jakob on her lap and gave him his bottle while Billie Joe pushed a mug full of coffee in front of his wife and then took one for himself. Athalya just grabbed a bowl, some cereals and milk.

“All right, so this morning we are going shopping, this afternoon we are going to the beach and tonight we are throwing a party, is that okay with everyone?” asked Billie Joe.

Adrienne just shook her head with a chuckle. Billie Joe had already talked about it with his wife, and he knew Joey would automatically agree with him, he also knew damn well that Athalya wouldn’t say anything against it either…

“Sure, but why a party?” she asked, after swallowing her cereals.

“Because you’re here.” Was Billie Joe’s reply and Athalya groaned.

“What’s wrong?” asked Billie Joe, worried.

“Well, I kinda don’t like to party that much… I don’t like when there’s too much people and stuff… I’m not a big fan of crowded place…” she said truthfully.

“To throw a party, in Billie Joe’s language means that we’ll all gather around a BBQ, we’ll probably blast some music at some times and everyone will end up in the pool. It’ll only be family and close friends Athalya, no worries.” Reassured Adrienne. Athalya just nodded and kept eating, still bothered by the ‘party’ that was going to take place here. From what she understood, she was going to be the center of attention, but if it was going to be like last night, she’d manage. Last night had been one of the best nights ever. Mike and Tré along with Billie Joe kept cracking jokes, telling stories, trying to throw her in the pool, and so on. She had felt as if she was part of that one big family. And it was a wonderful feeling. Adrienne was treating her almost as her daughter, she was Tré and Mike’s new best friend. And Joey hadn’t left her side and had refused to go to bed if Athalya wasn’t going with Adrienne.

She wondered what was going to happen tonight…

**

“Are you done yet?”

“In a minute…”

“And now?”

“Nope.

“Now?”

“Hold on…”

A few seconds passed.

“Are you ready now?”

The door opened and Athalya came out of the bathroom, only to see Joey perched up on her bed, grinning.

“I am ready now, thank you for your patience…” she said with a chuckle.

Joey jumped off the bed and took her hand, before dragging her down stairs.

“We are ready!” he said, entering the kitchen.

“Athalya? Adrienne went to get ready, and I should probably go to…Can you watch Jakob for me?” asked Billie Joe.

“Sure thing, no problem.” She said, and sat down next to Jakob, as he was playing with his toys.

“You can put some CD on if you feel like it…” he said, pointing to the huge stereo system in the corner and at the shelves full of CDs. “I’ll be right back!” he said and then hurried upstairs. Athalya got up and walked over to the CDs, picked up a case, put the CD in the player and skipped the song until it was the one she wanted.

She smiled to herself, and moved her head in sync with the music.

“Can you dance?” asked Joey, from his spot next to his younger brother.

“Of course I can, why do you ask?” asked Athalya, cracking her knuckles and neck.

“Can you dance now?” he asked, sitting straighter and pulling his younger brother on his lap. It was the cutest thing ever. Athalya smiled, looked over her shoulder to make sure no one would come and turned back to look at the two kids.

“I’ll dance just for you, but you have to promise me that you’ll keep it a secret, okay?” she asked. Joey nodded and put a finger across his lips while Jakob just clapped in his hands happily and almost in rhythm with the music.

“You know Michael Jackson?” asked Athalya, tying her hair up in a messy bun.

“Yeap!” replied Joey.

“All right, so this song is called ‘Smooth Criminal.’” She explained, skipping some songs before positioning herself in the middle of the room.

She started dancing, doing a mix of all the MJ moves she knew, mixing them together in her own choreography but still in rhythm with the music. When she did the ‘moon walk’ Joey’s mouth fell a little, his eyes wide in admiration.

As she song ended, she smiled proudly, wipe some sweat off her forehead and walked over to the stereo, took out the CD, put the case back on the shelf and look for another CD. Once she found the one she was looking for, she put it in the player, and walked over to the boys.

“So?” she asked.

“You’re the best dancer ever. I love you.” Said Joey, grinning at Athalya.

“Aww, I love you too Joey!” she said, ruffling his hair and then picking up Jakob in her arms.

“I’m gonna dance with your brother, just watch…” she explained. She positioned Jakob on her hip, held him close to her chest with one arm, and took his small hand in her other one.

It was some classical music, something soft and Athalya started twirling around, waltzing with Jakob. The toddler was blabbering in happiness, his big brown eyes looking intently at Athalya as she danced around the room. Jakob reached out and grabbed a loose stray of her hair, lightly pulling at it. Athalya just smiled down at Jakob and kept on waltzing around the room, humming to the music. Joey just watched in awe. It seemed like she was floating in the air, there was no way she was touching the floor…

Athalya slowed down at the same time as the music stopped.

She smiled at Joey, still holding Jakob.

“Can I dance with you too?” Joey asked in a small voice.

“Of course you can…” she said, she went over to the baby chair and sat Jakob. She grabbed some toys and gave them to the toddler before kissing his cheek, making him giggle.

She went over to the stereo and changed the music to another one. She took Joey’s hands and went to stand in the middle of the room, so that way she could still see Jakob in his baby chair.

“Put your feet on mine.” She told him. Joey did as he was told, and Athalya held his hand firmly. She tried to move her feet a little, but she knew it wasn’t going to work. When she stopped trying, Joey’s face fell. Athalya picked him up and held him just like she held Jakob earlier, except that Joey was a little heavier than Jake. She said nothing, held her breath and started moving, slowly at first, but speeding up shortly after. Joey was in a daze, seeing the room spin around him, Athalya dancing, her eyes bright with happiness, making the small yellow glint in her eyes shine even more.

Joey held tightly onto the young woman, watching her attentively as she kept on waltzing around the room, with the music, around the table, around Jakob’s chair, down to the family room, before going back up the few steps and back into the breakfast area/kitchen.

To the young boy, she was an angel, no question about it. She was flying.

Athalya shot him a dazzling smile as the music came to a stop and let him touch the ground again.

He immediately took a hold of her legs, wrapping his small arms around them.
“You’re an angel Lya.” He whispered against her jeans. She smiled and knelled down to his level, wrapping her arms around him in a warm and comforting hug.

“You’re awesome Joey.” She said, kissing his forehead. “You’re like the little brother I don’t have.” She added.

“Really?” he asked, his brown eyes shining.

“Of course…” she replied, ruffling his hair before standing up and taking a few steps back. She stood on one foot and started twirling on the tip of her toes, like a ballerina. When she stopped, she put her other feet down and bowed.

She heard Jakob blabbering something that sounded like: ‘again’ but wasn’t sure…

“How did you learn?” asked Joey.

“To dance?” she asked from over her shoulder as she made her way to the kitchen to grab a glass of water.

“Yes.”

“My mother taught me.” She replied, taking a glass from the cupboard and filling it with water. “She was a professional dancer in her young age and then she stopped, so she became a teacher instead, in a small studio and everything…” she explained, looking outside with a blank stare.

“She was a great teacher.”
Athalya turned towards the door and saw Billie Joe leaning against the doorframe.

“Actually, she taught me how to dance.” He said, pushing himself off the doorframe and walking towards her.

Athalya let out a low chuckle and then drank her glass of water and put it in the sink.

“You don’t believe me?” asked Billie Joe. Athalya didn’t reply. She just looked at Joey. Billie Joe walked over to the stereo system and skipped the song.

“May I have this dance?” he asked, holding out his hand and standing in front of Athalya. She blinked and glance at Billie Joe.

“For real?” she asked.

“For real.” He said, taking her hand in his. He wrapped his free arm around her waist and brought her closer to him. Billie Joe took the lead. They started waltzing around in the living room, starring at each others, not breaking the gaze. Time seems to have stopped for Athalya. She was floating in the air.

It was just the two of them. No one else.

Athalya was taking the opportunity to take in all the details of his face. She wanted to picture this instant, she wanted to remember this forever. From now on and to the day she dies.

During this dance, something clicked inside of her. It was like her life had a whole new meaning now, a new goal. She’d stay by his side, forever. She was going to work for him, for Green Day. She had no idea yet what she was going to do, but she will start thinking about it as soon as she’d be back in HB.

It might seem crazy, but to Athalya it seemed just right.

He had done so much for her in such a short time, that was the least she could do. She’d work for him, for Green Day. That was it. No one could stop her. She was like her mother in a way, once she had decided something, it was really hard to make her change her mind.

She’d dedicate her life to Green Day, for Green Day.

She brought her attention back to Billie Joe and smiled at him as they kept on waltzing around the room. There might have been a few mistakes here and there but it didn’t matter to Athalya.

They slowed down and came to a halt. Billie Joe took a step back and kissed Athalya’s hand. She smiled at him, holding back the tears as she realized that her mother really taught him how to waltz.

If anyone ever asked her why she cared so much about Green Day, why she loved them so much, she wouldn’t be able to explain, not because she had no reasons, but because she had thousands of reasons to love them, and to love Billie Joe.

That man, she loved him before meeting him, but she loved him even more now.

**

“I’m fine really.” Athalya said, crossing her arms over her chest, facing Billie Joe.

“I’m pretty sure you need more clothes.” Was his reply.

“I don’t need any clothes B, I swear I’m fine. I have enough clothes already. I don’t need any more jeans.” She said, trying to persuade him.

“I don’t want you to run out of clothes.” Was his answer as he turned around and went back to looking through the jeans, trying to find some cool models and looking for her size.

Athalya looked at Adrienne, who just nodded her head in direction of Billie Joe. Athalya let out a deep sighed and walk over to Billie Joe, she pushed him a little and snatched the pair of jeans out of his hands.

“It’s too small for me. I always take a bigger size, I like to feel comfortable in my clothes.” She explained, putting the jeans back in place and choosing the same model, but in an other size.

“I’m gonna try this on, alright?” she said, before walking towards the changing rooms. She quickly pulled down her jeans and put on the new one. She checked herself in the mirror, took off the jeans, put her own jeans back on and got out of the changing room.

“If you must insist on buying me a pair of jeans, this one fits.” She said to Billie Joe and Adrienne.

“All right, is there anything else you want?” Billie Joe asked.

Athalya crossed her arms over her chest and looked at him.
“Listen, this is the 9th shop we’re going into. And you bought me something in every single shop we went into. I think I’m good. Joey and Jakob must be bored out of their mind now, let’s just go to the beach already or something…” she said.

“You sure you don’t need any more T-shirts or something?” he asked.

“So far, I got 5 T-shirts, 2 long-sleeved shirts, a new pair of Converses, 3 jeans, and a bathing suit. I think that’s more than enough Billie Joe, really.” Said Athalya, looking at Adrienne for some kind of support.

“I think she’s right Billie. Plus, she told you she wasn’t that fond of shopping. Let’s just pay for those jeans and go to the beach like she suggested…” said Adrienne.

“You sure?” asked Billie Joe. Athalya frowned.

“If you really have way too much money, you can buy us ice creams when we get out of here.” She said, taking Joey’s hand and walking to the cash register.

Billie Joe paid for the jeans, Athalya thanked him and took all her shopping bags from Billie Joe’s hands, not wanting him to be carrying everything when he already bought her so much.

“Are we going to the beach now?” asked Joey, pulling at his father’s hand.

“Sure we are buddy. Lya decided so.” He replied.

Athalya, who was walking ahead, stopped in her tracks and turned to glare at Billie Joe.

“Hey, you said it yourself this morning. I did not decide anything.” She argued. Billie Joe and Joey looked at each others, smiling.

Athalya just huffed and kept on walking. She pretended to be annoyed when deep inside, she was beaming. For the people walking down the streets, if it wasn’t for Billie Joe’s own style, they’d look as any normal family, Athalya included. She knew it was far from the truth, but it warmed her heart a little to pretend so. She already considered Joey as her younger brother. He was just too cute and awesome not to.

She didn’t have to force herself to speak with an American accent because no one was making fun of her French accent. If she was making any grammar mistakes, Adrienne would tell her, but once she was alone with her, not with everyone around.

What surprised her the most was how down to earth Billie Joe really was. He wasn’t taking himself seriously. He was just like any normal person, only cooler.

He was just Billie Joe.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you liked the chapter.
Thank you for all the feedback on the last chapter, it was appreciated =D

& I want to wish a very Happy 38th Birthday to Billie Joe <3