Status: About to be rewritten. Please read the Author's note (Chap 50) for further information. Thks x

Dreams of Tomorrow

Chapter 24.

The house was quiet, except for the living room where people were gathered.

“I’m sorry David, I apologize for her outburst.” Said Suzan, shaking her head sadly.

“Does it happen often?” he asked, looking in the direction of the stairs, the moment when Lya ran off still playing in his mind.

“No. She seemed happier these past couple of weeks…” started Suzan, but was cut off by her husband.

“I would say, she’s been happier since she met the Armstrong’s.”

“Oh, so she met them?” asked David, looking at his coffee.

“Yes, she did. Billie Joe has been wonderful for her, just like the rest of his family.” Said David, Lya’s grand father.

“Not to forget her friends, especially Brian and Jimmy are really supportive.” Added Suzan. “But I guess she didn’t wanted to see them today, she wanted to spend time with you only.” She explained.

“I guess so too, but I never thought she would ran off like that and lock herself up in her room, without even opening to her friend when he went to knock on her door, and she even missed dinner.” He said, shaking his head.

“That’s Athalya. She’s angry, so she isolates herself. I guess she called Billie Joe.” Said Suzan.

“Does she always call him often?” asked David.

“Not often, he’s the one who’s calling, every week, sometimes twice a week. It’s a shame they live so far apart. Lya really loves them.” Said the grandfather.

Suzan just nodded slowly, watching in the direction of the stairs, hoping to see Lya appear. But she was probably asleep now.

“I’m sorry you have to take care of her, I…” started David, after a few minutes of silent. But he was immediately cut off by Suzan.

“Don’t be sorry. You don’t have to apologize. It’s a pleasure to have her with us while we’re still here. She’s better here in California than back in France…” said Suzan.

“But she’d be even better in San Francisco…” argued her husband.

“We talked about it honey, we’ll move once she graduated.” Said Suzan. “I know you’re upset because you want what’s best for her, but the best for her at the moment is for her to graduate first. Then, we shall move closer to Adrienne and Billie Joe.”

“I feel bad for not coming sooner.” Sighed David. “I wish I could have helped her.”

“She doesn’t want anyone’s help. We offered her to see a specialist you know, so she could talk about her feelings, but she refused. Every time we brought it up, she refused.” Explained Suzan. “I don’t think we can help her, she says she doesn’t need anyone’s help. But I believe there’s only on person who can help her and that would probably be Billie Joe…”

**

Lya reluctantly got out of bed. And took her time getting ready. She had to apologize to David and her grandparents. Once she was showered and dressed, she headed downstairs. She put the phone back in its place.

She was looking down when she entered the kitchen. She stopped next to the table.

“I apologize for the way I acted yesterday, I should have never blown up like that. It was completely uncalled for, please forgive me.” She said, in a clear and steady voice as her grand parents and step-father were having a coffee in the kitchen.

“It happens Athalya, you’re forgiven but it’s not me you need to apologize to…” said David, smiling softly at her.

Lya looked up, a perplexed look on her face. It was easier than she had planned.

“Who?” she asked.

“Your friend who went to knock on your door but you didn’t open. He seemed pretty upset and left straight after…” said David.

“Who, Johnny?” asked Lya, pouring herself a glass of milk.

“No, your other friend, Brian.” Replied Suzan.
Lya froze and almost choked on her milk.

“Shit…” she whispered.

“I… I’m going to apologize to Brian, because I swear I didn’t know he came to my room… I would have opened otherwise… Shit…” she muttered, putting on her shoes. And she rushed to the backyard. She jumped over the fence and rushed to the front door.

Fuck it, why did he have to come to her room!

Out of breath, she knocked on the door.
Suzy opened her, and smiled.

“Lya? Brian isn’t up yet, he hadn’t told me you were coming today…” said Suzy, stepping out of the door.

“I… need to talk to him.” She said.

“Oh, he’s still asleep, but I’m sure you can go and see him… after all, it’s going to be 10.30am soon…” said Suzy;

“It’s about time he gets his lazy ass out of bed!” said Papa gates, smiling at Lya on his way.

Lya took off her shoes and rushed upstairs.

She stopped in front of his door, took a couple of deep breath and twisted the knob. It was still rather dark in his room, he was lying on his back, half covered by the sheets, he had one leg dandling in the air, his face buried in his pillow.

She closed the door behind her and made her way towards his bed. She sat on his mattress and looked at him. He looked sad yet peaceful. He was fast asleep but he still looked like someone who has a lot on his mind.

She froze.

What if he had heard her?

What if he was upset because he knew that she was keeping things from him when they were supposed to have no secrets to one other.

Slowly, she pushed him towards the center of his bed. Put the covers correctly and laid down next to him, facing him.

She hoped he didn’t hear her when she was on the phone with Billie Joe… It would be a disaster…She couldn’t possibly explain her reaction if he knew how she felt…

She closed her eyes and snuggled close to him, rested her head on his arm and let out a soft sigh.

She really hoped he hadn’t heard the whole conversation.

**

He felt something hot and warm against his neck, a light pressure on his chest.

Instinctively, he reached to his neck and felt something soft under his fingers. His eyes shot open, his breath got caught in his throat as he saw her, laying on top of his chest, her face nuzzled in his neck.

He had one arm around her and the other lightly cradling her head.

“What the hell?” he whispered, quickly looking at them both, and sighing in relief when he saw that they were both wearing clothes.

His heart was pounding in his chest, he remembered going to bed by himself, really upset after going to Lya’s.

She stirred in his arms and he immediately dropped them on the mattress.

She opened one eye and pushed herself a little.

“Oh, you’re awake?” she whispered, rolling on her back.

He blinked stupidly.

“I’m sorry” she blurted out. “I didn’t hear you yesterday, that’s why I didn’t open my door. I’m sorry if you were upset but I really had no idea…”

“It’s okay Lya, I shouldn’t have reacted like that…” he said.

She sat up and looked at him.
“Don’t say it’s okay, I shouldn’t have blown up like that. It was uncalled for and I apologize… Whatever I said, or whatever your heard I apologize.” She said, getting up.

“Lya, hey wait! What’s wrong!” he asked, sitting up quickly.

“Nothing’s wrong Brian, I’m going back to my house. Sorry for waking you up and sleeping in your bed. See you tomorrow.” And with that she was out of his room.

Brian was left speechless, blinking at the closed door.

**
Lya dragged her feet towards the front door, she twisted the knob and walked up the stairs, to her room.

She threw herself on her bed and hide her face with her arm.

“Fuck it, fuck it, fuck it!” she swore under her breath.

“This is too fucking complicated, I can’t stand it, fuck it!” she whispered, rolling on her tummy and hiding her face in the pillow. She wanted to rip her heart out of her chest, she wanted to get rid of her nightmares, she wanted people to leave her alone and most of all, she wanted her mother back.

She blindly grabbed the remote and pressed play. Billie Joe’s voice flooded through the speakers, easing up her pain a little.

She fell asleep once again.

**

The door creaked open and someone peaked inside the bedroom.

“Lya?” a small voice asked.

The girl lying on the bed stirred a little.

The intruder kept on watching her, waiting for her to wake.

It was the feeling of being watched that made her wake up. Slowly, she took off the pillow and looked around in her room. Her gaze fell on the door, it was opened. She frowned. She was sure the door was closed. She slowly got out of her bed and walked towards the door. She reached out her hand, ready to close the door when it swung open, almost hitting her.

She suppressed a scream and looked down at her legs, something had attached itself to it.

It was Joey.

This time, she did scream. She hugged him close to her chest, twirling around in her room, not caring if she was going to knock down stuff or whatever. She just kept on hugging him, stroking his hair, almost bursting into tears as Joey was just giggling.

She put him down, finally and squealed again as she saw Adrienne and Jakob, standing at her door.

She rushed to them, hugging Adie and then kissing Jakob’s forehead.

“What are you doing here?” she asked, breathless. “When did you arrive? How are you?” she was shooting questions when she had an epiphany.

If Adrienne and the kids were there, it could only mean one thing. Billie Joe was there as well. Without thinking, she ran downstairs and into the kitchen. He was standing there, talking with David and her grandparents.

She stopped for a fraction of second.

She ran to him, fast, and almost skipping on the kitchen floor. She literally threw herself in his arms, almost tackling him to the floor. She grabbed her arms around him, and buried her face in his chest.

She said like that for what seems like hours when it only lasted 5 seconds in reality.

She was holding onto him for dear life. She finally let go of him, reluctantly and grinned at him, tears pricking her eyes.

“What are you doing here?” she asked.

“What kind of question is that?” he asked, chuckling. “You hung up on me without warning yesterday! What, were you expecting me to just don’t care about you?” he asked, crossing his arms under his chest and starring at her. “You know I can’t do that.”

She starred right back at him with matching green eyes, only brighter.

She would have argued, telling him that he didn’t needed to do the displacement; but not this time.

Seeing him was just what she needed.

So instead of arguing, she just hugged him again, tighter.

“Thank you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the delay, school is keeping me busy.

Thank you for sticking with this story for so long, it's been over a year allready... ^_^"