Status: About to be rewritten. Please read the Author's note (Chap 50) for further information. Thks x

Dreams of Tomorrow

Chapter 39.

It was still dark, the sun had yet to rise.

Lya was sitting against the window, watching the road and the lights. She had been trying to get some sleep.

Something shiny got her eyes and she looked down at the table only to see her badge, the lights of the passing cars reflecting on it.

When she got on the bus, it was in her bunk. The Green Day warning logo was printed on the front, as well as CREW MEMBER written in black bold letters. Her name was scribbled behind, beneath her picture.

She picked it up from the table and put it around her neck, smiling.
Athalya came back to her grandparents’ house around 2 in the morning, at 3, she was sitting on the bus.

It was now around 5.30 but she just couldn’t find rest. She was bursting with joy, she wanted to scream and run around the bus.
The guys were getting some rest in their bunks, she was by herself.

She rested her feet on the seat opposite her and sank down a little. She let out a yawn as the bus stopped at a red light.

Memories of the night flashed in her mind. When she saw Billie Joe waiting for her at the bottom of the stairs, the father-daughter dance, the adoption thing, the prom, her friends.

She felt a lump in her throat as she remembered.

Lya broke the embrace and starred up at the black sky, barely any stars. She held his hand for a moment before looking back at him, smiling shyly. He looked back at her, opening his mouth to speak when they heard the sound of breaking glass.

They separated and walked back inside only to see Jimmy and Justin wrestling around on the floor.
Brian walked towards them, trying to see if they were messing around or if it was for real, but seeing the look on Matt face, they were just playing.

“God damn it boys, break it off.” Mumbled Michelle, as she wiped away the broken glass.

The music was still loud, they went back to dancing.

And Lya stood there, watching the scene evolve in front of her eyes.

What she had been through during those few months, it could be summarized by this night. A mix of the past, the present and the future mixing altogether.
People she had grown to know, to respect and to love for what they were, as individuals.

She walked further into the room. Taking part into the party. She grabbed a cup, filled it with beer and went to stand with her friends for the last time. She pushed Johnny slightly so she could have enough space to stand between him and Jimmy. They were joking, talkig about the summer.

Lya stayed quiet, yet had so many things she wanted to say. She glanced at the clock and saw it was getting late, close to 1.30am.

She sighed and walked towards the bathroom. She did her business and looked at her face as she washed her hands.

“You can do it, it’s only Good Bye.” She whispered to herself before getting out of the bathroom. She took off her heels, holding them in one hand as she walked back to the living room. She stopped in her tracks when she saw that her friends were not dancing anymore but gathered around her.

“Wh…” she trailed off, looking at Jimmy for support. She saw him look at Brian and then the both of them smiled at her as Michelle walked forwards, a wrapped box in her hands. She didn’t seem so happy anymore.

“Frenchie, this is a present from us all to you.” Said Michelle as she placed the box on the table next to Lya, “You’ll open it once you’re in the bus…” she said before hugging Lya close against her.

“I’ll miss you Frenchie, you better keep in touch and come back soon.”
Lya nodded, unable to swallow the lump in her throat as Michelle reluctantly let go of her, letting her twin sister come forward.

She was hugged by her friends, one by one, all telling her that they’d miss her and that they hoped she’d keep in touch.

And then it was Johnny’s turn. Lya’s eyes were burning with unshed tears as she reached out to hug him.

“You sure you have to go?” he whispered in her ear. She nodded, “I have to.” She whispered.

“But I’ll come back Johnny. But meanwhile, you have to take care of yourself and don’t let them bully you.” She said, loud enough for him to hear as she took a step back, letting go of him.

Jimmy jumped on her, lifting her up in his arms and making her swirl around the room before putting her back down and crushing her into a hug.

“I’ll miss you shorty. You better come and see us when you stop by SoCal.” He said, trying to sound cheerful as it become harder for Lya to hold back her tears, realizing that she’d be leaving and that she’d be seeing him for quite a while.

“Don’t forget me Jimmy…” she whispered, kissing his cheek before untangling herself from his hug.

She reached down and grabbed her shoes in one hand before taking the wrapped box in her other hand. Then she looked at Brian who nodded and took the car keys from his pocket.

He lead the way to the front door and to his car on the sidewalk. Lya tried to held her head high as she left the house. Brian got on the driver seat as Lya opened the passenger door, she dropped her shoes and then placed the box on the seat before sighing and running back to the house, wrapping her arms around Johnny and Jimmy, as Michelle and Val joined in the hug, even Matt and Zacky.

“Thank you for all that you did to me, thank you.” She said, before hugging everyone of them individually, Jimmy being the last. She kissed his cheek one last time and hurried back to Brian’s car, took the box and sat down. She closed the door as Brian started to drive off. She rolled down the window and kept waving at her friends down the road until Brian turned left and she couldn’t see them anymore.


Athalya got up from the couch and went to take the box from her bag. She waked back to the couch and sat down, the box on her legs. She carefully unwrapped it and discovered a box made of dark wood, with the words : America loves you, we love you written across it. She opened the lid and saw several letters. She grabbed the brown envelop and opened it. Inside were the twins address, as well as Jimmy, Brian and Johnny’s one. As well as a map, with their houses indicated, with scribbled in the corner if you ever drop by, you’ll remember where we are. She put everything back in the envelop and looked at the rest of the box. 2 more letters, one from Michelle and the other one from her friends, each of them had written a small text. It made her heart overwhelmed. Even more when she took a look at the end of the box where she caught a glimpse of dozens of pictures. She grabbed a handful and looked at them, realizing that those were pictures of her time with her friends. The Green Day show were they had come to wait in line with her, when they hang out in the park, at Brian’s Halloween party, there were even some polaroid ones of prom, of her dancing with Billie Joe…

And dozens more. Pictures of the every-day life she had in Huntington, pictures taken when she wasn’t aware of.

Lya reached out for the bottom of the box, lifting the last picture, it felt heavier than the others. She turned it over and saw a guitar pick made of what looked like silver, she took of the adhesive tape and held it in front of her eyes. On one face was engraved : 爱 which was the Chinese character for love. She turned the pick over and saw that something else was engraved, a letter : B.
Her eyes watered up as she put the necklace around her neck, locking it. She bit her lip as she looked at the picture, it was a picture of Brian and her. They were hugging.

Athalya wipped her eyes, already feeling bad for leaving them.

She tilted her head back, closing her eyes as she finally fell into slumber.

**

When she woke up, the bus had stopped. She immediately jolted up and grabbed her badge, rushing out of the bus. The sun was already high and she had to stop to let her eyes adjust to the brightness.
In the distance, she caught sight of familiar blond hair. She ran to the group of people, stopping a few feet away to catch her breath.

The dirty blond hair guy turned his head in her direction and smiled, beckoning her to come closer. She ran a hand through her hair and confidently walked towards Billie Joe, trying to put a smile on her face as she realized that this was a new beginning for her. He wrapped his arm around her shoulder as soon as she reached them, and it was with a proud smile on his face that he introduced her.

“Guys, this is Lya, my daughter.”

**

“Hi, it’s Lya. Just a postcard to let you know that we got to Las Vegas safely, unfortunately can’t see much of it… I’m underage, so I’m stuck in the bus whenever they go out…
Hope everyhting’s fine for you.
Miss u x
Lya”

*

“Hum… It’s been a month since we left California, right now we’re heading East I think… No idea…
Got the chance to do a bit of sightseeing, but not much. Did you receive my last card? I’m gonna try to call you next chance I get. How’s everyone?
Lya”

*

“New York, New York…
Quite big, got lost… Well, they got lost, I went to fetch them. Worse than kids…
Did Have classes started yet? Do you like it?
Missing you guys… Too bad you weren’t home when I called when I was in Philadelphia. X”
“Oh… I got Suzy on the phone, she said you left classes to join Avenged Sevenfold… That’s cool! How is it? Are you touring right now? I’ll try to see you guys performing next time we get to L.A. How are you? And Johnny?Jimmy? And everyone? X”

*

“Sorry for not sending you anything sooner, we left the US, we’re now in Canada… From what I heard, next we’ll be heading to Europe. I’m hoping to go back to Cali before that, will you be there?”

*

“Leave a message at the tone. BIP.
Brian? Hey, it’s me Lya. Well, I was hoping to get you in person, too bad. Hmm… It’s been a while since we talked over the phone… How are you? Anyway, I was calling you to wish you a Happy Birthday, I sent you a card but it might hadn’t reach you yet. I gotta go now, our flight is boarding.
Say hi to everyone for me.”