Status: About to be rewritten. Please read the Author's note (Chap 50) for further information. Thks x

Dreams of Tomorrow

Chapter 40.

He looked at the wall above his desk in his old room, postcards of various cities and continents, as well as Christmas cards and Birthday cards.

He walked out of his room and to the corridor, bending over the handrail.

“Mum, did I receive anything this past few days?” he asked.

“Nothing, why?”

“Just wondering”

He sighed and walked back to his room, sitting on the bed and picking up the last card he had received. Paris, France.
It dated back to May, now it was July and no news. He dropped the card on the bed and ran a hand through his head, picking up his guitar case and walking down the stairs.

“I’ll get going Mom.” He said, hugging the older woman before grabbing his car keys and leaving the house.

**

“No Tré”

“But…”

“There’s no but. Put down that unicorn and let’s go back, Billie Joe’s waiting for us.”

“But…”

“Come on, if you’re nice I’ll buy you a Frappuccino.” She said, checking her watch.

Tré dropped the unicorn and followed the girl out of the store, linking arm with her as they crossed the street to enter the Starbucks.

“Little girl, where have you been?” asked Billie Joe, glaring at Tré as Lya chuckled and went over to her father. She kissed his cheek and went to order.

“Here’s your Frappuccino Tré, now stop whinning.” She said, patting the blond spiked hair before sliding on the booth next to her father.

“Lya, where are we heading now?” asked Mike, stretching his arms above his head.

“Alabama.”

“Sweet home Alabama…” started humming Billie Joe, wrapping his arm around her shoulder.

“And next?”

She rolled her eyes, “Next we’re heading back to California Tré, I’ve already told you three times since we left the hotel.”

“I forgot” he said, shrugging.

“You just don’t listen to me!” said Lya, crossing her arms over her chest and pouting.

**

The sun was still high as the car drove down PCH. It toured a little in the city, trying to remember the place. She glanced at the map on the passenger seat, not willing to open it. She wanted to remember by herself. She drove past familiar places, and it made her heart started to race as she finally reached the street. She turned left and slowed down, stopping in front of the house. Cars were crowding the driveway. She parked on the sidewalk.

She took a deep breath and killed the engine. She grabbed her handbag and got out of the car, she walked towards the trunk and grabbed the box before slamming the trunk shut and locking the car. She ran a hand through her hair nervously before walking towards the front door.
Music could be heard in the backyard as she lifted her hand and knocked on the familiar down, 3 times.

It took a few seconds before the door opened.

“Oh my God, look at you my dear!” beamed Suzy, engulfing the young woman in a bear hug. “Honey come here!” she called out, as she opened the door wider for Lya to come in.

“Lya!” exclaimed Papa Gates, engulfing her in a hug. “It’s been so long!”

She smiled, nodding. “True, I’m sorry I couldn’t be there sooner, just got out of the plane.”

“It’s nothing, we haven’t started eating yet, Matt’s still trying to start the barbecue.” Suzy exclaimed, gently pushing Lya into the kitchen to give her a glass of juice.

“Does Brian know?” she asked, gladly accepting the glass.

“No. He has no clue, he just kept asking me if he got any mail.”

“Oh damn the birthday card.” She whispered.

“It’s okay Lya, you’re here. No need for birthday card this year.” Smiled Suzy, as Lya downed the glass in three long gulps.

“Come on, I bet they’ll be surprised!” said Papa Gates, happy to play tricks on his son.

Lya put her empty glass in the sink and followed Brian’s parents out of the kitchen and to the backyard.

She froze a little, afraid to see her friends after 2 years…

**

He grabbed a beer from the cooler and laughed at Matt as he was struggling with the barbecue. Zacky came to land a hand. It felt good to be off tour for a while and be able to be home to celebrate his birthday with his family and friends.

“Brian?”

He turned around to look at his step-mother mother.

“Got someone here who wanted to wish you happy birthday.” She said, beaming as she grabbed his arm and made him look at the door.

The woman standing there was wearing black Chuck Taylors, jeans, a purple T-shirt that said : Huntington Beach, I was there. His heart started beating faster in his chest as she walked down the porch steps and shyly walked closer to him. Her hair was tied up in a ponytail and she was wearing light make-up that made her green eyes stand out even more… How he missed those eyes.
She was now standing right in front of him, and reached out to hug him before he could fully understand what was happening.

“Wooh! Brian got himself a girlfriend!” cheered Jimmy, looking at Brian hugging a dark haired girl, until she let go of Brian and turned to look at him, her green eyes shinning with emotions.

“Lya!” yelled Johnny, rushing to hug the young woman. She chuckled, hugging him.

“Frenchie!”

Athalya smiled as she turned around and was greeted by Michelle and Val.

She went to hug a very surprised Matt and Zack, before going to hug Jimmy.

“Wow, how did you manage that?” asked Brian, looking at his parents.

“She tried to call you about three weeks ago, but as akways you weren’t there so it was your father answered. She said she was going back to California and asked when you’d be back, your father told her about your birthday party…”

He looked over his shoulder and saw Lya with a beer in hands, cheering with Jimmy and Michelle; as the blond girl was starting to catch up with her friend. Brian hugged his mother before walking towards Lya.

Lya’s face broke into a smile as she saw Brian walking closer to them.
“Hey there Brian happy birthday!” she said, holding out her beer. He smiled and clinked bottles with her.

**

Lya sat down on the plastic chair and let out a sight, fidgeting with her necklace. Oh how she had apprehend that day… But it went quite well, she was afraid of their reaction, what if they recognized her but didn’t care all that much? Hopefully, it was none of that and they were all happy to see her.
She was going to have to go soon, head back to L.A for the night, and take a flight to San Francisco the next day.

Lya got up and walked inside the house to say goodbye to Suzy and her husband. She found Suzy in the kitchen.

"Suzy, i'll get going i gotta go back to LA, i have a flight tomorrow morning." she explained, taking the pile of plate from her hands and putting it up in the cupboard.

"So soon? they were planning on going to the bar tonight..." said Suzy, wiping her hands on the apron.

"I.."

"There you are Lya, I was wondering if you wanted to come with us to have a drink or something..." asked Brian, taking a cigarette from the pack.

"I got a plane to catch tomorrow morning" she said, rubbing her neck. She wanted to turn down the invitation when she realized that she'd probably regret it. "Never mind, i ll try to take a flight later on tomorrow."

Brian gave her a thumb up before walking outside to smoke.

Lya looked at her outfit and sighed, wondering if she had brought anything decent in her bag. It still felt weird for her to be back as if she had never left.

She walked to the backyard and sat down on the porch.

It had been a while since she had last came to Huntington. About a year ago her grandparents had moved out and were now living not far from San Francisco and Oakland, she got to see them everytime she came back to the bay.

When she wasn't on the road she was staying at BJ s house. She was officially part of the Armstrong family since about a year and an half. It made her heart burst with joy every time she saw Athalya Armstrong written.
From simply following Green Day on tour she had become a roadie and sometimes would tune Billie Joe s guitar for the soundcheck. it didn't happen often but it was a beginning.

Going on tour with Green Day was definitely her favorite thing in the world.

Lya stiffled a yawn as she glanced at the house behind the fence, her old house. So many memories there, she unconsciously reached for her necklace.

She saw a shadow and then someone seated next to her, she was surprised to see Johnny.
He looked good with his Mohawk and piercing. She noticed the ink on his arms, yeap definitely nothing like the young Johnny she had left a few years back.

She smiled at him and when he smiled back, she realized that deep down he was still the same guy, her first friend in America.

"Did they treat you well when I was gone?" she asked.

Johnny chuckled,"it depends... but i got used to it, i don t pay attention to it anymore."

"last time on the phone you said you dropped out of school to join them on tour?" she asked, unsure if she had remembered clearly.

"yes, that s how it started. so cool huh "
Lya smiled and nodded, it was cool indeed.

"So any new album coming out?"

"we re working on it, you should drop by on day! You ll definetly like it.."

Lya chuckled and opened her mouth to speak when Johnny cut her off

"i know you didn t like it at first but Matt doesn t scream that much and also I m the bass player now, it changes a lot..." he added, a smug look on his face

"Brian is in the band. That changes a lot" said Jimmy, jumping in front of them.

Johnny rolled his eyes playfully as Jimny reached out to touch Johnny s mohawk, making him jump up as Jimmy let out a girly squeal and ran off, Johnny chasing after him. Lya couldn help but laugh at the sight.

Yeap, same band of morons.

She got up as Matt walked outside the house, smiling his dimpled smile. She smiled back, happy.

" we re off to the bar, is that okay?" she nodded and followed him inside just as Jimmy stopped and turned around, beginning to chase Johnny.

She walked out and unlocked her car, opening the trunk and taking a look inside her duffel bag. She just came straight back from tour, she must have had some decent clean outfit somewhere in there.
Zack looked amused as Lya almost disappeared in the trunk of her car. She reappeared seconds later with some clothes and a small bag in hands.

She slammed the trunk, locked the car and walked back in the house, smiling at Zack on her way.
Lya went to the bathroom and came out a few minutes later with new clothes and a little more make up.

**

She stopped at a red light and looked at her friends sprawled on the back seat, starting to doze off. She chuckled to herself and drove down the road, following the indications they had given her when they were still sober.

She parked the car and got out. She went to open the backseat door and grabbed a hold of Jimmy as he almost fell off the car. She wrapped her arm around his waist and helped him out of the car and to the building, she walked with him to the 3rd floor and let him slidr against the wall as she jogged back to her car and help Brian out. She locked the car and wrapped one arm around Brian.

"are you allright?" she asked as they reached the 3rd floor.

"i think i drank too much"

Lya laughed as they stopped in front of their apartment.

"Brian, i need the key"

"in my pocket" he slurred.

She rolled her eyes and patted is pockets. finally locating the keys. she slide her hand in his pocket and took out the key. she quickly opened the door as Jimmy tried to get up and was walking towars the stairs mumbling "bathroom"

She grabbed him by his Tshirt and pulled him back, she managed to push them both in the appartement before closing and locking the door. Jimmy hurried to the bathroom, stumbling on his way as Lya tried to locate Brian s room.

She helped him taking off his shoes and socks, unbuckling his belt and sliding down his pants.
She saw Brian winkling his eyebrozs in a suggestive manner, she rolled her eyes and slapped his shoulder as she helped him lay down on his bed, she went to the kitchen and found a bucket, she placed it by his bed.

"there you go Brian. now get some sleep birthday boy"

"stay with me.." he whinned, patting his bed.

"brian i got a plane to catch"

"catch it later"

she rolled her eyes.
"please..."

Lya took off her shoes and climbed on the bed next to him.

"there, now sleep"

"can i hug you?"

she sighed and lay down next to him, she felt herself being embraced and in his arms.
she rested her head on the pillow and closed her eyes, falling asleep.

**

She stirred and yawned, recalling events of the previous night. she turned around, expecting to see Brian but instead found herself in an empty bed, she looked at the clock and saw that it was allready 3pm. she sat up and walked out of the room, rubbing her eyes. she was surprised to see Brian in the kitchen, she walked closer to him and saw that he was hung over, one hand holding his head as the other held a steaming cup of coffee.

"sleep well?" she asked.

he nodded and then winced. she smiled as she made her way to the bathroom and let out a scream as she saw Jimmy sprawled out in the bathtub. he let out a growl and tried to roll over but ended up hitting his head. he opened one eye and rubbed his forehead.

"Lya?"

“Jimmy! Why aren’t you in your bed!” she scowled, coming closer to the bathtub to help him get out of it. “Brian!” she shouted, seconds later he appeared and chuckled as he saw his friend in the bathtub.

“My God, worst than Green Day when they’re drunk…” she muttered as Jimmy was out of the bathtub. She pushed them both out of the bathroom to have some privacy.

**

“Yeah, that’s basically what happened…” she said, holding the phone against her ear as she walked towards the living room.

“I know, right? Well, you think you can manage without me?”

“Vacations? What’s that?” she asked, laughing.

“You sure?”

Brian watched as Lya walked from the kitchen, to the living room, and back to the kitchen to add sugar to her coffee, all the while talking on the phone.

He still had trouble realizing that he hadn’t seen her for so long, yet it felt as if she had never left. It felt so good to have her back for his birthday. He knew she had kept in touch with his parents, she came to visit them about 6 months ago, she stayed there the week end and then left. He was in New York at that time.

“Today’s Saturday…” she said, before blowing on her coffee.

“Allright Dad, thanks! See you next week end! Love you!” and she hang up, putting the phone back on its base and walking to the living room, seating down on the armchair.

“I have a week off.” She said smiling before taking a sip f her coffee. Jimmy cheered before jumping off the couch to call hi friends.

“Let’s party tonight!”

Lya frowned, “Wasn’t he hung over like, 2 hours ago?”

Brian nodded.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for reading hope you enjoyed the update!